Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Why don't they make more picross 3d. Seems like it's what the people want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

with online multiplayer!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

check out Voxelgram if you want a clunky version of picross 3d without any personality and with monotonously tedious puzzles.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah I've played it. Very much a mom: we have picross 3d at home experience

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That's rather harsh for Voxelgram. It's a fine clone and yeah it lacks a lot of the charm, but the puzzles are good. I also appreciated the lack of a fail state. I bothered to perfect Picross 3D 1 and 2 and it was always annoying when I miss hit a block by accident.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Hmm. I was gonna put it in the don't-have-time category but those details put it on the DekuDeals and then we'll see list.

I'm just super amped for Triangle Strategy and saw this on sale so I bit. I got the base game for 10-12 euro I think? It was a nice surprise. I just beat it this afternoon, so I'll devote my energy to Transistor now. If I can wrap that up and some of the older Metroids, then I think I'll pick Dread, with that done, I can then either trade in Skyward Sword for I'm thinking 3D World, or start Subnautica. All the while I'll be plugging away at FFX.

I don't know what mood one has to be in to start Subnautica though.

Also, is Disco Elysium a one and done game or does it have staying power/replayability? It's a question regarding whether or not I download it or get it physically.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

Why don't they make more picross 3d. Seems like it's what the people want

Guess they would have to make it undocked only- have there been any other games that really rely on the touchscreen?

EDIT:

How does Voxelgram do the 3D Picross controls?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Speaking of Picross…

https://twitter.com/boommike/status/1473393083899269123?s=21

Then I saw that S4 is on sale right now, so grabbed that… seems like the most logical next game with the unlockable puzzles with S1/S2/S3 data.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Monkey Fracas posted:

How does Voxelgram do the 3D Picross controls?

They’re weird but you’ll get used to them.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't know what mood one has to be in to start Subnautica though.

Also, is Disco Elysium a one and done game or does it have staying power/replayability? It's a question regarding whether or not I download it or get it physically.

Subnautica straddles a strange line between chill/relaxing and nope nope nope. Probably 80% of the time chill but man those nopes hit hard.

Last I asked (kinda recently) Disco Elysium still had some rough edges on the Switch to the point where I'm either going physical or Steam Deck. (I also haven't opened Christmas SMT:V or $3 SR:IV so I'm not jonesin'.)

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Depends on how much you like the writing and aesthetics, I think. One playthrough can get you most of the main story and a satisfying amount of the characters and worldbuilding, but there is a lot of variability to both how you can build your character and to your dialogue options (particularly political alignments) that mean you can see a fairly robust variety of dialogue, situations, and endings depending on how you play.

If you only just like the game and its writing, one playthrough is probably gonna be enough for you. If you fall in love with the writing and the world they've built, there's definitely enough there to go back for seconds. I really enjoyed it, so much so that I toyed with the idea of starting a new run immediately after finishing, before deciding it would probably be better to wait a few months and forget some of the details and story beats first.

Most of my playtime was on the original Switch version, before the first patch. There was some low framerates in certain areas, and I had a couple of crashes during a 30+ hour run, but it was playable. Load times were my biggest complaint. The first patch came out only a little before I finished my playthrough, it reportedly resolved some of the crashes, and the framerate and load times were both improved, though still not perfect. (The load times were still annoyingly long for how frequent they are at some points in the game, but also not a dealbreaker, IMO.)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'll have to give it more time because maybe I'm just missing something/many things, but goddamn Saints Row IV is terrible.

Ive only played on pc, so maybe the switch version is super hosed, but in terms of gameplay mechanics its literally one of the greatest games ever made

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Astro7x posted:

Speaking of Picross…

https://twitter.com/boommike/status/1473393083899269123?s=21

Then I saw that S4 is on sale right now, so grabbed that… seems like the most logical next game with the unlockable puzzles with S1/S2/S3 data.
Solid time.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
was having a good time on mega picross, then got stuck on the 4th puzzle. Mega picross sucks rear end again. gently caress you!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mandatory lesbian posted:

Ive only played on pc, so maybe the switch version is super hosed, but in terms of gameplay mechanics its literally one of the greatest games ever made

Please explain further.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Interactions radically change based on the stats you pick, so it's definitely got replayability.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is Picross like Sudoku or something? Is that a decent comparison?

Trying to figure out if I’d enjoy it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

RCarr posted:

Is Picross like Sudoku or something? Is that a decent comparison?

Trying to figure out if I’d enjoy it.

Sort of. The left side and top side of the puzzle will have numbers which tell you how many dots are in a group in that column or row. So if a row has "2 4 5" on the left, that means there is a group of 2 dots, a group of 4, dots, and a group of 5 dots. But it does not tell you where they are int he row, but they will appear in the order listed. So it's not a group of 2, then 5, then 4, it is only 2, 4, and 5. To figure out where the dots are, you can either determine that there is only one possible configuration and fill those in, or you use hints from other columns or rows to figure out that there has to be a dot in one spot, because of this column, or this row can not have a dot in this spot, which means this column doesn't have anything in that spot either, and then now you can fill in some dots based on that. It's a logic puzzle.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds pretty similar. Where should I start? Picross S1?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RCarr posted:

Sounds pretty similar. Where should I start? Picross S1?

Yes, or a free picross game on your phone to get down the logic and to see if it's for you. But otherwise, S1 for sure.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you have NSO you can try Mario's Super Picross on the SNES app for free, but without any translation or QOL features of the later games it might not be the best starting point.

Otherwise yeah, S1 is really bare bones but it's also a perfect example of modern Picross.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I actually found mario picross relatively easy to navigate and play despite being in japanese. It was very cute and lo-fi. Your mileage may vary though. S1 doesn't have a lot of fancy poo poo (apart from the dog poo poo mega picross for IDIOTS) but i'm enjoying it (see previous parenthesis)

I might do that thing where I post where I'm stuck on mega picross and ask goons for obtuse clues tbh. Its just a bit embarrassing after doing 40x30 magazine picross puzzles to get stuck on a 10x10 mega picross

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I bounced off Mega hard but went back a while ago and it finally just clicked. Sometimes they're actually easier than the standard puzzles because of the information that can be gleaned from the mega lines, but overall I'd say they're slightly trickier yeah. Just gotta learn the techniques and get used to using them.

I always play No Assist which makes it difficult to learn, but if you use the assist mode that highlights rows in blue where something can be deduced it might help you grasp the strategies better.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
picross is so loving boring but perfectly so

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Blotto_Otter posted:

Depends on how much you like the writing and aesthetics, I think. One playthrough can get you most of the main story and a satisfying amount of the characters and worldbuilding, but there is a lot of variability to both how you can build your character and to your dialogue options (particularly political alignments) that mean you can see a fairly robust variety of dialogue, situations, and endings depending on how you play.

If you only just like the game and its writing, one playthrough is probably gonna be enough for you. If you fall in love with the writing and the world they've built, there's definitely enough there to go back for seconds. I really enjoyed it, so much so that I toyed with the idea of starting a new run immediately after finishing, before deciding it would probably be better to wait a few months and forget some of the details and story beats first.

Most of my playtime was on the original Switch version, before the first patch. There was some low framerates in certain areas, and I had a couple of crashes during a 30+ hour run, but it was playable. Load times were my biggest complaint. The first patch came out only a little before I finished my playthrough, it reportedly resolved some of the crashes, and the framerate and load times were both improved, though still not perfect. (The load times were still annoyingly long for how frequent they are at some points in the game, but also not a dealbreaker, IMO.)

Sounds like a download. Thanks!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Someone said A Robot Named Fight is down to 2 bucks which is what I paid for it. That took me some 50 hours before I ran out of steam playing (not-so) randomly generated Super Metroid. It's pretty great for what it is, but it's not excellent. You will die a lot, you don't get nearly enough life at the beginning and it can feel a bit repetitive, but it plays like Super Metroid so I don't know how much more you need
eyy yeah I picked it up, hard to go wrong for $1 and change

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
A ton of the Picross S games on the Switch come with a demo that have a variety of different puzzle sizes. Get that and try it. Don't download some lovely nanogram game for free on your phone that plays like poo poo

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I actually found mario picross relatively easy to navigate and play despite being in japanese. It was very cute and lo-fi. Your mileage may vary though.

There are two things that makes Mario Picross hard for me to deal with after playing the S series games. One is that the cursor doesn't wrap around, when you hit the edge of the puzzle your cursor stops, and you have to go back the long way. To make matters worse, when you're on the left and top edges of the puzzle, moving your cursor further (a force of habit when you expect the cursor to wrap around) will instead move onto the numbers, which is also annoying.

The second thing is that holding down a button and moving the cursor will overwrite other marks, it's annoying to try and quickly mark Xs on empty squares only to overwrite a square I marked as being filled earlier.

Neither of these make the game unplayable or anything, I'm still slowly working my way through Mario Picross despite them, but they are a bit annoying.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't know how people play Picross games without a "mark" feature or whatever. The way I make most of my initial fills is by laying out both possibilities for a line in marks and then change them to fills whenever they overlap. It's too hard to keep track of the spaces in my head otherwise.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Mega Picross is great. It’s exactly the same type of logic but the rules are different. There’s a learning curve, and you could be the worlds best traditional Picross player but suck miserably at mega. But if you keep at it you’ll eventually figure out the tricks and shortcuts just like you did with regular, and it’ll eventually become no harder than regular. People who like regular but don’t even try mega beyond a handful of puzzles are doing themselves a disservice.

Here’s a hint to get you started. If you have a column or row with a blob and a number, you can automatically x off that number from the adjacent column or row. This one concept will get you through the first 30 or so puzzles and by then you should be picking up on some others.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

what do you mean by "blob"? I think you might be referring to the fact that mega clue squares can't touch mega clue squares, but its not exactly clear. I also am not sure how helpful that is when it seems like its almost universally easier to get regular clues first and then check to see how that impacts what mega clues you can solve. Am I missing something?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think Pirate Captain is talking about when you have two rows combined and a regular number on the end, and then a blob next to it. On the row that has the regular number, you can go to the adjacent row it is combined with and then blank out that many squares, because you know the blob can't touch the line, so none of those squares can be filled in. The blob being the number that applies to both rows.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

A blob is just what I call a clue that crosses 2 rows or columns. Mega clues, or whatever. So let’s say you have a set of columns with a mega clue/blob of 7 and then a 5 in the left column, you can mark 5 x’s in the right column at the bottom. That and normal Picross rules will get you through a lot of the early levels.

Edit: if there are puzzles people are stuck on, I’m sure plenty of us would be willing to help explain the logic if you post a screenshot.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

oh yep ok I understand now. I'll pick it up again and see how that helps me get past the 4th puzzle or whatever embarrassing point I got to

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

oh yep ok I understand now. I'll pick it up again and see how that helps me get past the 4th puzzle or whatever embarrassing point I got to

Good luck!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

So from what I can tell this is where I should be using the mega clues to be able to fill in extra squares but I'm stuck. The only thing I can think of is that I can assume the block one up from the bottom row is absolutely part of the 4 blob. Am I wrong in assuming the 2 blob can sit on one row, did I miss something in the tutorial? And is there anything I can reliably infer about the other 4 blob I don't have any squares for that I might not be getting?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

So from what I can tell this is where I should be using the mega clues to be able to fill in extra squares but I'm stuck. The only thing I can think of is that I can assume the block one up from the bottom row is absolutely part of the 4 blob. Am I wrong in assuming the 2 blob can sit on one row, did I miss something in the tutorial? And is there anything I can reliably infer about the other 4 blob I don't have any squares for that I might not be getting?

Per my earlier tip, you can X out the top right square, though that doesn’t much help here. But look at that 2 4 combo. With the one square you have now, there’s only one possibility for where those 2 could be. The 2 blob has to sit vertically - all blobs MUST use both rows or columns.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

If a 2 blob were in one row, it would just be a normal 2!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A 2 in a mega line has to be 2 fills side by side with X's all around. Since there's one fill in your mega line with an X next to it that means that fill is part of the mega 4. Using this info you can find the actual location of the mega 2.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The Pirate Captain posted:

all blobs MUST use both rows or columns.

ok excellent I absolutely missed that part of the tutorial. That helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The two blob definitely has to be, in this case, two blocks vertically, on the far left.

I'm not that great with mega but one of the main things that I've learned is that a 2 blob means one block of either row (if it's a horizontal clue) or column (if it's vertical) are right next to each other.

The fact that it's a mega clue means that it has to stretch over two rows (for horizontal) or columns (for vertical), so you can't have it any other way.