Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I'm partial to this guy

There seems to be more drug manufacturing ads popping up too. I'm going through these more or less chronologically so we'll see what the mid to late 70's will bring. Ngl I'm excited to see the 80's content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Someone’s gotta cook meth, I guess.

I bet the 80s start to really lean into the “Vietnam Vet as a personality” thing I’ve seen with a lot of bikers over the years

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Scratch Monkey posted:

Someone’s gotta cook meth, I guess.

I bet the 80s start to really lean into the “Vietnam Vet as a personality” thing I’ve seen with a lot of bikers over the years

There are still really old Vietnam Brotherhood biker dudes all over the place here in Florida. They’re much less obnoxious than your normal orthodontist cosplaying as a Hells Angels biker.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

I always wondered if it was actual hells angels that read Easyrider, or if it was wannabe's? I'm not sure who the target audience was there.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Catzilla posted:

I always wondered if it was actual hells angels that read Easyrider, or if it was wannabe's? I'm not sure who the target audience was there.

Probably the same number of actual mercenaries who read Soldier of Fortune.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Szyznyk posted:

Probably the same number of actual mercenaries who read Soldier of Fortune.

I read an article about a guy who advertised his mercenary services in Soldier of Fortune and a lot of people tried to hire him to kill people. (Which he did and caught got for)

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

This one was missing the cover so who knows
e: Found the cover

Behold the gooniest easyrider
nsfw

AKZ fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 21, 2021

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
So many casual swastikas.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Gutter Phoenix posted:

So many casual swastikas.

I’d like to believe they were for shock value and being antisocial as opposed to a swastika today where there’s no ambiguity.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Yeah, I'd like to believe that too.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

I'm going to assume either Irving Penkethman is an alias or Irving Penkethman died in federal prison.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

ChesterJT posted:

I'm going to assume either Irving Penkethman is an alias or Irving Penkethman died in federal prison.

From a few years back in the thread:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

[quote="June 2, 1976
The Daily Inter Lake from Kalispell, Montana · Page 4
Optical Character Recognition"]Drug ads irk officials... BOSTON (AP) -

"High and I do mean high," began the letter opened by a Fontana, CaUf., nwther. For $20, a Pocasset, Mass., man offered to send to her son his latest publication, "Speed Made Easy." But the young man in Fontana never got to see that letter. He was in a mental hospital, '/ do it as a hobby 9 the victim of a bad trip on that same powerful street drug. Federal postal officials could do no more than tell the irate parents, who related that incident, that their hands were tied. The same advertisements are going out to prison inmates, too, and it's all perfectly legal. "We've had a lot of complaints against this guy," said a postal official in Boston, pointing to a stack of letters, "but it's not against the law." For $20 sent to the post office box of Irving Penkethman in the quiet Cape Cod village of Pocasset, he promises to send his Publication No. 62: how to make speed -- methampheta- mine, a central nervous system stimulant -at home with easy-to-get products from "the local hardware, the corner drugstore and the nearest gas station." "It's a hobby," said Penkethman of mail order business he has been running for nearly five years. "I'm not trying to get rich. I just want to turn people on to how they can turn themselves on. "To get rid of all the dealers, the narcs (narcotics police officers), the heat, the paranoia, the bloodshed. That's where I'm at," he said. A musician and music teacher by profession, Penkethman, 36, admits he is largely self-taught in drugs and chemistry. "I got turned on to grass in '65, DMT in '66 and acid in '67," he said. "I got involved in a speed lab. We made about a pound a week for 12 weeks. We went on to mescaline, but we messed up, and I blew myself up." So, .for the next two years, Penkethman said, he took chemistry courses, including a I I officials air complaints correspondence course offered by the state Department of Education. "But I didn't finish because they had too many mistakes in their workbooks," he said. Penkethman justifies his drug instruction business saying: "They're going to go out and buy it on the streets anyway. It's all over the place and a lot of it is really poor. If they do it for themselves, then they won't have to go out on the street and get poisoned." Penkethman has come by what he says is a rather extensive mailing list by advertising his service in such drug-oriented magazinesas "High Times." And as a special incentive he offers his list of publications, which usually costs Ji, free to prison inmates. "A lot of these chemicals and items are easily found in prisons and others can be smuggled in," said a postal official. At least two prison officials were among those complaining to postal authorities about the advertisements. Robert J. Klein, superintendent of the Davis Center, a facility for 16-to 21-year-old offenders in Davis, W.Va., complained to that state's attorney general after one inmate received the ad. In Gulfport, Miss., Harrison County Sheriff Leroy Hobbs confiscated and forwarded to postal authorities Penkethman's flyer and list of publications sent to an inmate there. Penkethman says he got some of his formulas from inmates. He says the process for "Speed Made Easy" came from a prison inmate who told Penkethman, in exchange for some of Penkethman's formulas, about how to make speed from a nasal inhaler product. Prison officials and others complaining about Penkethman's business receive from the postal inspector a letter saying that the 'Stuff based on government records' advertisements "while understandably undesirable do not in themselves violate postal statutes" and are protected by the First Amendment. Likewise, Bourne Police Chief Henry F. Mailoini said he has received complaints about Penkethman's business, but "we don't have a thing on him. There's nothing we can do about him."

...but practice is legal

Annual report of the Town of Plymouth, MA 1981 posted:
Date Name of Deceased Age
16 Wilfred Irving Penkethman, Plymouth 41

Wonder how he bit it. Murdered? OD? Hit by a bus? the world may never know
[/quote]

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

We should hire a private eye to go snoop around the meth dens of Kalispell, Montana for clues....

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Irving Penkethman is perhaps Jesus made flesh.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

in 1978, Chess II came out and that was pretty much it for Chess I, formerly known as "chess"

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah, chess is over, baby. Chess II is the present and the future, at least until Chess III is created by the WORLD COUNSEL of PROGRESS.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
That's just chess with a distorted board. The real sequel is here.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Ok this one is missing the cover, has some water damage (or just as likely a combination of Hamms beer and bongwater), and some judgemental opinions of Oscar Wilde.

nsfw

AKZ fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 21, 2021

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

nsfw

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

also this guy reminds of my spite-filled cat when it hauls itself to the top of the scratching post and glares at me

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Man these guys hated helmets. I get the whole outlaw attitude thing but what a weird hill to die on.

Also, find a copy of Armageddon-3 plz

Edit: haha that was unexpected

quote:

Armageddon is a 1972–1974 underground comic title published by Last Gasp. Written and illustrated by Barney Steel, the comic expressed an anarcho-capitalist philosophy, influenced by Ayn Rand, and explored sociopolitical themes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armageddon_(underground_comic)

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 21, 2021

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

No kidding right? Armageddon-3 better deliver because that ad is intense.

e:...and ayn rand has entered the biker-gently caress book

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Dang, I’m only $180 away from reading Barney Steel’s possible masterpiece!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Armageddon...1-127632-2357-0

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Szyznyk posted:

I’d like to believe they were for shock value and being antisocial as opposed to a swastika today where there’s no ambiguity.

Despite the name Easy Rider, bikers were never all that easy going.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

AKZ posted:

Biker pictures.

Granted nudity and sex weren't a mouse click away like now but, everything that is supposed to be tantalizing and appealing in those pictures isn't. At all.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Automatic Slim posted:

Granted nudity and sex weren't a mouse click away like now but, everything that is supposed to be tantalizing and appealing in those pictures isn't. At all.

Different time and place. Plus you're not the target audience.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Automatic Slim posted:

There's a lady on a blanket with no clothes on, that's still pretty solid

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

Also, find a copy of Armageddon-3 plz

Edit: haha that was unexpected

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armageddon_(underground_comic)

Don't worry, I have my eyes open for copies of Armageddon 1, 2, and 3.

This goddamn pandemic and getting laid off from my lovely previous job, and being unemployed for a year, and only working part-time for less money at my current job has totally depleted my once-sizable savings and left me sponging money off my wife like a deadbeat, so I haven't been able to buy much cool stuff for quite awhile. I need to sell a bunch of poo poo and raise some cash. And get as better job. And win the lottery.

In any case, weird comics like that can sometimes be found for cheap, and I'm pretty good at finding them, so keep your fingers crossed!

And good luck to anyone else searching as well.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Automatic Slim posted:

That's part of the rugged charm of Easyriders "Ol' Ladies" collection.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Thanks again for your contributions! I already posted all of the biker mags I own earlier in the thread, so it's nice to see some new (to me) crazy, sleazy, casually racist 70's smut. 'Twas a different era...

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I saw this in the Americana thread:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Kate Bush's "Hammer Horror" video is a lot different than I remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Don't worry, I have my eyes open for copies of Armageddon 1, 2, and 3.

I am pretty sure I have scans of these at home. I'll have a look. I was never one to give much of a poo poo about :filez: at the best of times, but passing around digital copies of a long out-of-print piece of wank by an actual Randroid is not going to leave me staring dejectedly into a mirror wondering what I have become.