Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
idgi why would there be only one ganke in the multiverse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JT Smiley posted:

Why can't there be two heavy set south east Asian kids in a movie series set in New York?

You can but if both Spider-Men have them as their "guy in the chair" sidekick best friends it's going to seem silly at best and probably offensive at worst.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Captain America and Iron Man both have close black friends that fill that same role.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Oops

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sanschel posted:

Honestly if they want to introduce Hobgoblin, go the Phil Urich route. Introduce Ben as a competitor to Jameson and Pete becomes friends with his nephew Phil, then through whatever contrivance you like he can become Hobgoblin/Green Goblin/Goblin King. Hell, merge him with some of the other Hobgoblins and eschew the formula and insanity for a being a crime lord with a theatric bent in your Spidey vs organized crime story since it seems like Pete is now primed to be a proper city hero again.

Wasn't Ben Urich pretty finally resolved in Daredevil?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

If by some miracle they do a TASM3 and go with a Venom/Carnage thing I hope they bring back Emma Stone as Gwen just to recreate this panel with this exact framing lol:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

If by some miracle they do a TASM3 and go with a Venom/Carnage thing I hope they bring back Emma Stone as Gwen just to recreate this panel with this exact framing lol:

Girl sort those bangs

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

Something about this movie didn't connect with me and I didn't really enjoy it that much. I know I'm going to be in the super minority on that. Maybe a rewatch will change it but the majority of it just really missed with me. That being said, where it ends for Peter and what it sets up has me very much looking forward to the next Spider-Man movie.

Catching up on the thread now I’ve just seen it and this is where I landed. As a movie….. this was terrible? As for where it ended and what it means for the franchise, I’m hopeful we can now get an actual good Spider-Man movie again.

Like MCU Spidey ’s first 2 films were completed overwhelmed by Stark. And now this one is just overwhelmed by literally every previous spider-man movie. Holy poo poo, just let Spidey be loving Spidey god drat.

Even Toby and McGuire felt like a big miss to me because… they’re not wildly different from Tom as Spidey in terms of action and combat since they’ve kinda leaned on the same zippy agile combat and swinging. So we get a big brawl with 3 almost identical spider-men doing the exact same spider-moves against 5 villains we’ve already see them fight in previous films. God loving drat I know there’s the whole MCU synergy the like to lean on now but this was absurd and completely unearned. Just a spectacle of all things Spidey at the expense of Tom’s third Spidey film. Into the Spider-Verse, which obviously has the advantage of being animated, nailed the idea of different Spider-Men having distinct and unique styles.

The Murdock cameo was about the one thing that landed with me because it was short, to the point, early, and a nice little nod to Daredevil which ties neatly with what’s going on in Hawkeye where that other thread is spinning and it doesn’t take over the film like everything else.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 21, 2021

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Does the Green Goblin have pumpkin bombs that turn people into skeletons in NWH?

I haven’t seen anyone mention it but everyone is talking about how amazing the movie is so they must be included right.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ror posted:

Does the Green Goblin have pumpkin bombs that turn people into skeletons in NWH?

I haven’t seen anyone mention it but everyone is talking about how amazing the movie is so they must be included right.
Nobody dies from a pumpkin bomb in the movie that I can recall

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

twistedmentat posted:

The whole ending of NWH is Dr Strange casts a spell so everyone forgets Peter Parker. Peter Parker still exists, he still has a birth certificate
Yeah, I... don't think he does and that's like 80% of why it's bothering me so much. May's tombstone makes no mention of "Beloved Aunt" or anything like that and yeah, maybe FEAST paid for it and that's why, but... why wasn't Peter involved? Wouldn't he be on the records as her next of kin? And why's he studying for the GED if he still has his school records from Midtown High?

Also his chances of getting into MIT are 0% with a GED and no good grades and extracurriculars from a feeder school, so I really don't see how Ned and MJ stick around, and that's 15% of the remaining bothering me, with the last 5% being that I liked MCU Spidey and feel he's been reverted too harshly to the mean, and how's he gonna get more cool suits now if he's sewing them himself?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

As long as the Sony/Disney agreement is in effect you're just not gonna get a Spider-Man movie that doesn't have any other MCU heroes in it. That's part of what Disney gets out of the deal, all that brand synergy. My guess is that while Felicia isn't out of the question, the most likely women in Peter's future are Kate, Yelena, Kamala, and/or America.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
making the very explicitly lesbian his gf would be a huge gently caress you from disney I'll give you that

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Peter can have women in his life that he isn't dating, drat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

theironjef posted:

As long as the Sony/Disney agreement is in effect you're just not gonna get a Spider-Man movie that doesn't have any other MCU heroes in it. That's part of what Disney gets out of the deal, all that brand synergy. My guess is that while Felicia isn't out of the question, the most likely women in Peter's future are Kate, Yelena, Kamala, and/or America.

They’ll skip all that, never introduce Miles, and pair Tom’s spidey with Ironheart.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sanschel posted:

Honestly if they want to introduce Hobgoblin, go the Phil Urich route. Introduce Ben as a competitor to Jameson and Pete becomes friends with his nephew Phil, then through whatever contrivance you like he can become Hobgoblin/Green Goblin/Goblin King. Hell, merge him with some of the other Hobgoblins and eschew the formula and insanity for a being a crime lord with a theatric bent in your Spidey vs organized crime story since it seems like Pete is now primed to be a proper city hero again.

I mean, can't really introduce him when he already existed. Maybe make that tie into his origin, he decides he wants to go after Kingpin for revenge, and the best way is to become the Hobgoblin and beat him at his own game, crime.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think a Daredevil/Spider-Man vs Kingpin story would be dope. It would provide something that we've not had too much of in Spider-Man films; a Spider-Man who actively pursues and investigates crime. Spider-Man on film is often very reactive, a villian comes along and starts blowing poo poo up and so Spider-Man fights them but a Spider-Man actively seeking out the Kingpin would be different (there was a bit of that kind of thing in Homecoming but not much). If coming Disney plus series' such as Echo and MoonKnight all have Fisk as the puppet master leading up to a Spider-Man /Daredevil film where Fisk is finally taken down, I think that could be cool. Also, very pleased with cloth suits. No more super suits and gadgets please, unless they're the lovely ones he makes himself like the spider tracers or signal.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so if everyonw forgot peter including strange, and may was no longer his relative, was peter just like, living on the streets for a while and saved up enough pennies to afford an apartment or what

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Wasn't Ben Urich pretty finally resolved in Daredevil?

You’re right. I keep thinking the Netflix shows are a separate entity forgetting Matt was in NWH, making them canon unless directly contradicted, I guess.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JT Smiley posted:

Captain America and Iron Man both have close black friends that fill that same role.

Rhodes was an employee who eventually became Iron Man himself and then his own hero. They adapted him in the movies to be wholly separate from Stark but really good friends and then obviously a hero himself. Wilson was a hero in his own right who shared the masthead with Cap for years and after decades eventually took on the mantle as Cap. They adapted him pretty faithfully except for the parts where he shares the movie's title (it'd be pretty wordy with Cap and the Winter Soldier already in there) and doesn't actually practice falconry or dress like he's in a 70s rollerskating dance troupe.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sanschel posted:

You’re right. I keep thinking the Netflix shows are a separate entity forgetting Matt was in NWH, making them canon unless directly contradicted, I guess.

NWH and Hawkeye spoilers below

Yeah, the wife and I were kind of wondering about that. What happened during the snap to Kingpin? At the end of Daredevil S3, he was dragged off to jail for presumably many years. Years go by, then the snap happens. It's a 50/50 shot whether Fisk was snapped or not. The Hawkeye series seems to indicate that he's been active for long enough to be a major player for several years (and technically, probably also active during Ronin's war on crime), so likely not snapped. And probably able to swoop in and take over for any crime bosses that were dusted. That's all speculation until we see what the end of Hawkeye has in store at least. I'm assuming they're going to explain Kingpin in some detail in the Finale seeing as how he was introduced at the very end of the last episode.

My thought is that either post snap, anyone who disappeared is considered dead, and as a kind of compensation, most prisoners were released early (The world is ending, most nobody is going to spend that time in a jail, and someone has to fill in all the suddenly empty manufacturing/service jobs) so maybe Kingpin got out early. Similarly, maybe some of the dusted people were honest cops, lawyers and judges, and Fisk had enough money and sway to bribe his way out of jail on appeal with the crooked replacements/leftovers.

ED: drat, that's way too many "snapped" in a paragraph.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

site posted:

so if everyonw forgot peter including strange, and may was no longer his relative, was peter just like, living on the streets for a while and saved up enough pennies to afford an apartment or what

Yeah probably since he didn't finish high school and was taking GED classes at the end of the film.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
screw venom 4 venoming harder give me the hobo spider-man movie

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean he still has a bank account and savings. Things presumably sucked but he could afford to buy coffees and stuff. The movie kind of makes it seem like a long time passed between the end of the spell and the end of the film, but it all probably took place around a couple weeks in December at most.

Or else he turned tricks for cash, whichever

Something no one has mentioned yet was how much more appropriate the Murdock scene was considering that Jon Favreau once played Foggy. :haw:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Strange says that with the spell it'll be like as if Peter never existed but we don't know if we should take him literally in every respect. People forgetting about him doesn't mean that he actually has no identity, like all of his records and stuff are gone.

Then again, I don't know why he'd need to get his GED. If he still exists why couldn't he have graduated? Unless he left voluntarily because being a total nobody in the same school was now too weird.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe Peter did the whole "wrestling for money" thing he did in the old movie, except he actually got payed this time. Who would be the MCU version of Bonesaw?

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 22, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I guess maybe he dropped out because he now has no guardian but he's also 17 so, like, why bother going into the system?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh one other thing that popped into my head while watching, i kinda expected holland peter to be like, "who is that?" when both macguire and garfield were talking about uncle ben

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lobok posted:

Strange says that with the spell it'll be like as if Peter never existed but we don't know if we should take him literally in every respect. People forgetting about him doesn't mean that he actually has no identity, like all of his records and stuff are gone.

Then again, I don't know why he'd need to get his GED. If he still exists why couldn't he have graduated? Unless he left voluntarily because being a total nobody in the same school was now too weird.

It probably would be too painful to be around the two most important living people in your life and they have no memory of you whatsoever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ben apparently did exist in the MCU but I think they soft-retconned it to him dying unrelated to Spidey/Pete?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

I think with no one at the school knowing who he is, it's a weird conversation to have when he shows up in class, but honestly I think there's a point where the answer is just "it's magic" and we accept that it doesn't make sense if you think too hard about it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

oh one other thing that popped into my head while watching, i kinda expected holland peter to be like, "who is that?" when both macguire and garfield were talking about uncle ben

They could have really thrown away all the goodwill built up to that point.

"Our Uncles Ben embued us with the responsibility needed to become heroes."
"Really? Mine was a drunken gambler who beat May and ran off with all our money. I'll curse his name till the day I die."

Lobok fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 22, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kind of wish the ending had been a bit less clean because the combination of Peter being ready to murder Norman and Venom leaving a little present for the MCU reality would segue very smoothly into an alien costume movie. As it stands, he's probably going to have to go through yet another rough patch for his morale to be worn hollow enough for him to on the edge again, if they even decide to go in that direction.

While considering that angle something I thought would be interesting is if Peter and Miles end up in a post-Crisis Batman and Robin style relationship where Peter is growing more alienated and bitter as time goes on and mentoring Miles helps him get back to his friendly neighborhood self

Speaking of Norma Osborn, I really liked his little arc. Norman as "He's always been evil even without Goblin juice" was a Mark Millar invention, and it really strips the character of a lot of pathos that he otherwise has. Having him be a relatively decent person with an unhinged alter ego makes it easier to understand why Peter doesn't just punch his head off than when he's Jekyll/Hyde where Jekyll is Lex Luthor and Hyde is the Joker.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 22, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

site posted:

It was a 'blink and you'll miss it' thing during a conversation in Homecoming, but Peter does quickly mention Ben dying. Clearly he wasn't murdered or died tragically though.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The whole Ben thing is weird. I would say this film confirms he doesn't exist or at least didn't exist in the way one would think? But, there is also this odd rule that they can't mention him in relation to Holland, like there was a big moment in this film where they could mention him and they pointedly don't. Almost like they want to keep that card in their pocket. The only potential references to Ben are incredibly vague. In Civil War Holland explained his motivation and used the term "and when the bad things happen it's kind of your fault", though does not mention what "bad things" specifically. In Homecoming when Peter is worried about what May will do if she finds out he is Spider-Man, there's a line that implies she's had a hard time recently, obviously meant to imply Ben, but could also be anything. In Far From Home Peter carries around what appears to be Ben's suitcase though Ben himself is never mentioned. HOWEVER they are making that animated show set before and in between the films. The episodes set before will almost certainly answer the Ben question once and for all I imagine.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was a 'blink and you'll miss it' thing during a conversation in Homecoming, but Peter does quickly mention Ben dying. Clearly he wasn't murdered or died tragically though.

I don't know, I think it's too vague to be a confirmation.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 22, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Karloff posted:

The whole Ben thing is weird. I would say this film confirms he doesn't exist or at least didn't exist in the way one would think? But, there is also this odd rule that they can't mention him in relation to Holland, like there was a big moment in this film where they could mention him and they pointedly don't. Almost like they want to keep that card in their pocket. The only potential references to Ben are incredibly vague. In Civil War Holland explained his motivation and used the term "and when the bad things happen it's kind of your fault", though does not mention what "bad things" specifically. In Homecoming when Peter is worried about what May will do if she finds out he is Spider-Man, there's a line that implies she's had a hard time recently, obviously meant to imply Ben, but could also be anything. In Far From Home Peter carries around what appears to be Ben's suitcase though Ben himself is never mentioned. HOWEVER they are making that animated show set before and in between the films. The episodes set before will almost certainly answer the Ben question once and for all I imagine.

I don't know, I think it's too vague to be a confirmation.

Honestly I feel like the whole thing was them taking the "We don't want to see Ben Parker die a-loving-gain" criticism and pushing it a bit too far in the opposite direction.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What if the reason they’ve never shown Ben Parker is not because they just didn’t want to do that story but Ben is actually Benjamin “Reilly” Parker :getin:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I feel like the whole thing was them taking the "We don't want to see Ben Parker die a-loving-gain" criticism and pushing it a bit too far in the opposite direction.
I mean it's been done to death so I don't really mind. We ended up with an unexpected spin on it at least.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

In Far From Home you see Parker's suitcase used to be Uncle Ben's, it's monogrammed with his initials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I still think it robs at least the first two films of some weight and pathos. Homecoming I reckon would land better if his need to stop the Vulture was informed by some pain and guilt, and not just a desire to be an Avenger. Also, the guilt thing, at least to me, is the single most important aspect of the character so to ignore it feels weird. Like making a Superman movie where he is not an Alien and got his powers from a lab accident. Or a Batman film where his parents never died. I don't need to see Superman crash land or the Wayne's get shot again but implying those things didn't happen would feel off.