Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

American McGay posted:

I'm pretty sure you're just joking and I'm not sure how long you've lurked Imp Zone but Uncle at Nintendo once changed the sound chip in his brother-in-law's NES without his permission while he was out walking his dog.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Lmao

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

hahahahahahahaha

back a few years ago he posted in the retro games thread that he figured out the vertical bar fix for the snes (this was something people were trying to figure out a fix for for years so it was a pretty big deal/discovery) and on some televisions, mine included, the vertical bar was so bad that instead of it just being a minor brightness difference like for most people, it was a full blown neon green color for me(gently caress samsung tvs).

anyway I pmed him asking him how much he would charge to fix my snes 2. and he said he didnt like charging money but if i sent a package of cat food to an animal shelter near his home he would do it for free. not only did he send my snes jr back with the vertical bar issue fixed, without me asking he added a natively mounted s-video port, a purple power on LED (the snes 2 has no power status LED for nintendo cheapness reasons I guess??), wired it up for RGB even though i have no way to play it in RGB, and even added an optical audio port.

i've yet to get any weird mail or pizza deliveries sent to my house so he's good people in my book. it definitely cost more in parts alone than the value of the food i sent, which seems counterproductive but whatever. the optical audio mod, which i figured had to be a stupid gimmick, was such a huge difference in sound when i tried it that i can never go back to the regular red and white cables ever again. it sounds better than CD somehow.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

do u know jenny posted:

anyway I pmed him asking him how much he would charge to fix my snes jr. and he said he didnt like charging money but if i sent a package of cat food to an animal shelter near his home he would do it for free. not only did he send my snes jr back with the vertical bar issue fixed, without me asking he added a natively mounted s-video port, a purple power on LED (the snes jr has no power status LED for nintendo cheapness reasons I guess??), wired it up for RGB even though i have no way to play it in RGB, and even added an optical audio port.

for anyone who doesnt want to read all the words heres the funny part

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

do u know jenny posted:

anyway I pmed him asking him how much he would charge to fix my snes 2. and he said he didnt like charging money but if i sent a package of cat food to an animal shelter near his home he would do it for free. not only did he send my snes jr back with the vertical bar issue fixed, without me asking he added a natively mounted s-video port, a purple power on LED (the snes 2 has no power status LED for nintendo cheapness reasons I guess??), wired it up for RGB even though i have no way to play it in RGB, and even added an optical audio port.
And now he has your home address. Sleep tight.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

a Loving Dog posted:

for anyone who doesnt want to read all the words heres the funny part

Thanks ALD.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Uncle at Nintendo mods these consoles for free, he's way underwater right now. You gotta give

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

do u know jenny posted:

hahahahahahahaha

back a few years ago he posted in the retro games thread that he figured out the vertical bar fix for the snes (this was something people were trying to figure out a fix for for years so it was a pretty big deal/discovery) and on some televisions, mine included, the vertical bar was so bad that instead of it just being a minor brightness difference like for most people, it was a full blown neon green color for me(gently caress samsung tvs).

i've yet to get any weird mail or pizza deliveries sent to my house so he's good people in my book. it definitely cost more in parts alone than the value of the food i sent, which seems counterproductive but whatever. the optical audio mod, which i figured had to be a stupid gimmick, was such a huge difference in sound when i tried it that i can never go back to the regular red and white cables ever again. it sounds better than CD somehow.

hes a saint

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

do u know jenny posted:

hahahahahahahaha

Awesome interaction

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Uncle at Nintendo mods these consoles for free, he's way underwater right now. You gotta give

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

do u know jenny posted:

hahahahahahahaha

this rules

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Is there a mod I can do to my nes to disable the piracy lockout chip so my games will start without hours of fiddling to find exactly the right cartridge position?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Caithness posted:

Is there a mod I can do to my nes to disable the piracy lockout chip so my games will start without hours of fiddling to find exactly the right cartridge position?

yeah http://www.retrofixes.com/2013/07/disabling-nintendo-lock-out-chips.html

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Caithness posted:

You can but you might as well just replace the cartridge connector instead

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Caithness posted:

Yes but it involves snipping a piece

Someone on these forums, like 10 years ago, recommended me something that worked really well, basically if you have a toaster NES you can remove the connector piece and go in with a small flathead screwdriver and physically bend each of the connectors upward slightly. after decades of use they tend to get flattened and don't make good contact, and that + dirty cartridges is the primary cause of needing to fiddle with it. That has worked wonders

They also recommended using Brasso to clean the cartridge connectors and there's some debate about how healthy it is for the cartridge but I'll tell you from experience that that poo poo works. You take a tiny(!!) amount on a q-tip and scrub the contacts of the cartridge vigorously and you will see an unbelievable amount of gunk come off of contacts that otherwise look clean. I've brought back completely corroded cartridges using that stuff and it's amazing how much poo poo you can get off with it. Stuff I cleaned a decade ago still works flawlessly. I would usually go over it again with a little high concentration alcohol (70%+) to take off any remaining Brasso and that's kept me going for a long time now

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Replacing the cart connector really doesn't do much, plus a lot of them are really lovely. If you really want to you can no joke boil the 72 pin adapter in a pot of water and it will make the pins tight again, plus you get to keep your original Nintendo-made one instead of some crappy 3rd party one.

It's really just a matter of opening the NES and cutting a single pin, seen here:

Just cut that pin and all your games will work again, and I bet without even touching the cart connector.

The pin is a little cramped and can be tough to cut, so I would recommend a tool like this:

The are called "flush cutters" and are as little as $4 shipped on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/393804047677

FWIW I've never seen an NES that didn't get fixed by doing that. I don't think I've ever had to replace the cart connector on one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i just rammed and pulled the pin with a tiny glasses screwdriver until it broke off. i also got one of those blinking light win non-ZIF cartridge connectors that make it so i almost need a pair of pliers to get cartridges out but makes them work otherwise flawlessly if the connector is clean

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

ram it with a screwdriver fuc k pin 4 up the rear end destroy that bitch until it cant tell real from fake

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

ram it with a screwdriver fuc k pin 4 up the rear end destroy that bitch until it cant tell real from fake

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Leave it alone for a couple of weeks and it'll fix itself.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Replacing the cart connector really doesn't do much, plus a lot of them are really lovely. If you really want to you can no joke boil the 72 pin adapter in a pot of water and it will make the pins tight again, plus you get to keep your original Nintendo-made one instead of some crappy 3rd party one.

It's really just a matter of opening the NES and cutting a single pin, seen here:

Just cut that pin and all your games will work again, and I bet without even touching the cart connector.

The pin is a little cramped and can be tough to cut, so I would recommend a tool like this:

The are called "flush cutters" and are as little as $4 shipped on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/393804047677

FWIW I've never seen an NES that didn't get fixed by doing that. I don't think I've ever had to replace the cart connector on one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sending a game gear into Uncle at Nintendo and finding that he has modded it so completely, it's now a Game Boy Advance

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

lmao

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

elf help book posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's over... I've modded everything. Now it's time for the final mod... myself.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Raspberry Pi

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sub-Actuality posted:

Raspberry Pi

Lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Leave it alone for a couple of weeks and it'll fix itself.

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

pablo the 'tendo man

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sub-Actuality posted:

Raspberry Pi

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Someone mentioned the Burger King Pokémon toys and it instantly brought me back to being 7 years old. Every Tuesday night my local Burger King would have a trading night, where you’d go and trade your Pokémon toys with one another. My absolute favorites were Geodude, Hitmonlee, and Muk. I liked the keychains because my dad would just unscrew the keychain part for me and it would function as a normal little action figure.

One night in an inexplicable deal I instantly regretted I traded both Geodude and Muk for a launcher Taurus. I was so caught up in the moment thinking about how it looked like he was really stampeding that I gave up two of my three most prized possessions. I didn’t even like Taurus. I’ll never get over how bad of a deal that was.