Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

diadem posted:

I did a bit of digging and the Pacifica sounds great in theory. I can save up for a bit and buy it a bit closer to the due date of the next kid.

Is this with the Hybrid or the "normal" model?

How does it handle in the snow? The AWD option sounds amazing (I live on a hill in a Boston suburb). Is it necessary?

Finally, it looks like the Carnival is the big competitor for the Pacifica, but I don't see it mentioned here. Is the Carnival too new to trust?

The Hybrid does not have AWD btw, only the gas Pacifica.

Also, please don't buy any Pacifica Hybrids from the DC area. I'm still trying to buy one myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what the gently caress who doesn't like the DS

It's a cool car, but a DS is a "I already own three Citroen, need to complete my collection" car, not a hilarious daily driver

I'd probably buy a safari'd 2CV before I considered a DS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hadlock posted:

a hilarious daily driver

por que no

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Traction Avant: hilarious daily driver
2CV: hilarious daily driver
DS: pretty pedestrian looking car, especially if you don't get it in red or light blue, with the white roof

In showroom new condition, freshly waxed the DS is a neat looking car in glossy wet red

You can pull up at any light in a rusty traction avant with black smoke pouring out of the exhaust and people will still ask what it is and want to go for a ride in it

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
So is that pronounced "PREE" or "PREE-EYE"?

The first person to answer with "yes" is going to get told to suck a male camel's dick.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hadlock posted:

It's a cool car, but a DS is a "I already own three Citroen, need to complete my collection" car, not a hilarious daily driver

Like this guy.

There's also a garage and a carport behind a fence. Google street view reveals a morris minor, a morris minor convertible, a traction avant, a different color DS, and a red 2CV truckette also park at this address.
Uhm, I need to make new friends.

nm fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 22, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://www.motor1.com/news/522997/citroen-ds-electric-conversion/

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

diadem posted:

I did a bit of digging and the Pacifica sounds great in theory. I can save up for a bit and buy it a bit closer to the due date of the next kid.

Is this with the Hybrid or the "normal" model?

How does it handle in the snow? The AWD option sounds amazing (I live on a hill in a Boston suburb). Is it necessary?

Finally, it looks like the Carnival is the big competitor for the Pacifica, but I don't see it mentioned here. Is the Carnival too new to trust?

Ours is a dinosaur burner only. It's also FWD, but we don't have enough bad winter weather or hills to make AWD a big deal. It handles about as well as a van can, I think. I did manage to beach it on some unusually deep snow last year.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's the other reason why I'm looking at citroens, the DS has the same layout/geometry as the traction avant, in fact he DS hydraulic rear suspension was available on the top of the line TA the last year of production

Due to the forward facing transaxle in the TA, when the inline 6 motor finally gives out, I should be able to retrofit most of the functional parts of an EV West VW beetle conversion kit to repower it

The main downside to the TA as an electric repower candidate is since it's unibody construction, there's no frame rails to mount the battery to the underside of the car so you end up distributing the batteries around the car like you see in the VW beetle conversions

Edit: also apparently retrofitting the 4 speed DS transmission onto a TA is not uncommon, the 3 speed tranny on the TA, along with it's lack of oil filter are the most common complaints. The driveshafts go through the frame at a very narrow point so the obvious solution like a VW transaxle swap are off the table and needs to be something like a DS transaxle

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 22, 2021

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009

Boxman posted:

Is there a reason to consider the Corolla Hybrid over the Prius? I don't quite understand the niche the Corolla Hybrid serves. Is it actually just 'wants a toyota hybrid compact but specifically doesn't want a Prius for aesthetic/cultural reasons"?

My guess is it's not a hatch, looks cooler, and has a nicer interior.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is an entire subset of people who associate hatchbacks with lesser status of sorts. Despite hatchbacks selling at a premium over sedan models.

Then they go ahead and buy Nissan Versa with a trunk.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 23, 2021

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
My wife’s ‘22 Gladiator finally got to the dealer yesterday. She ordered it in mid October. It was built week of Thanksgiving and sat waiting for transit for almost a month.

I had to rent a 7 person SUV to do all the Christmas people moving since my work car (a fleet model 2018 Ford Fusion) can’t fit everybody and we got a godfather offer for our 2018 Traverse.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Hello, we recently moved to a much more rural area than we were previously in, and have decided it's time to trade my wife's decrepit 2013 Mazda3 for a pickup truck of some variety.

Proposed Budget: <$50k, hoping more in the $35-40k range
New or Used: New
Body Style: Pickup Truck (probably)
How will you be using the car?: Largely my wife will use it to go back and forth to work (~30 minute commute, about 1/2 on rural roads in SW Virginia), but we also are now in a rural area with no trash pickup (for example), and we have ~8 acres of land (possibly will have more like 40 acres in the next few years) plus various building projects that we think will involve hauling stuff around. While we think a pickup truck will most likely meet current and future needs, something like a Forester/Outback and some towing *may* be worth considering. Minivans are apparently out, and she doesn't really like SUVs either.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability is very good, gas mileage is good if possible. Safety rating is very important. We think we want a full-size bed, or at least more than the 4.5 feet that the Ford Maverick offers. We don't plan on towing anything heavy like a big boat or anything like that, although towing a large zero turn mower (or a small tractor) on a trailer is likely going to be needed. We also do an assortment of building projects so the ability to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood would be good, for example. Bonus points if it's easy to do maintenance on ourselves - I have done a lot of various things on my WRX and both of us are comfortable doing basic repairs such as brakes/fluids/exhaust/etc but not so far as tearing down and rebuilding an engine.

Some of this is built on expectation of future needs with where we are and expect to be. We were in a rural area before and largely got away with having 2 sedans, but we're more rural now with more property, and honestly it sounds like a pickup truck is going to make the most sense. If something more like an outback/forester with a tow hitch and a trailer might make more sense, we're not hell bent on a truck or anything. Neither one of us are "truck" people and this is really falling into what we think will be most practical rather than some big desire to have a truck. Used trucks are potentially an option, but with the market how it is now and being more comfortable with new, most likely New would be preferred.

For reference, my car is a 2017 WRX which I am not interested in replacing and she doesn't like to drive it as she isn't comfortable with stick and just generally doesn't want to drive it for whatever reasons. I've already offered that as her work commute vehicle since I work from home, but that's a no go.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm a Ford homer, so my choice would be a F-150, but I don't really think there's much of a difference between the big 3 domestic manufacturers full size 1/2 ton trucks. It's really just depends which one you like best. The Toyota Tundra is a nice truck as well.

Truck manufacturers are dicks though when it comes to a lot of the fancier options. Some of the advanced safety stuff is locked behind extremely expensive trim packages, and those could bust your budget if they're deal breakers. Gas mileage isn't going to be great in any of them, but low 20's on the highway is doable with the gas engines.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Truck manufacturers are dicks though when it comes to a lot of the fancier options. Some of the advanced safety stuff is locked behind extremely expensive trim packages, and those could bust your budget if they're deal breakers.

Can you elaborate on that a bit?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

We don't plan on towing anything heavy like a big boat or anything like that, although towing a large zero turn mower (or a small tractor) on a trailer is likely going to be needed.

Define "small tractor" because depending on what you mean here, the 3000lb tow rating of a Forester/Outback (and just about everything in that segment) might not be enough to be able to handle the combined weight of the tractor, trailer, and cargo/passengers within the vehicle. I don't think the idea of "crossover/SUV with a trailer" is inherently flawed if you don't mind having to use a trailer anytime you have cargo you don't want to put inside the vehicle, but I think you'd have a much better time doing so if you jump up a size class towards vehicles with 5000-7000lb tow ratings. Most tow capacities you see are only achievable with just the driver and no cargo.

shortspecialbus posted:

Safety features that aren't mandated by law (i.e. everything has to have a backup camera now) are often tied into higher-trim packages but this really isn't unique to the truck market. Most of these features tend to be tools to avoid a crash, though, rather than things that will change your survivability / injury rates once a crash happens.

"Reliability", at least as far as most people would define it, and "fuel economy", are actually slightly at odds with each other. The most fuel efficient trucks on the market right now, other than the Rivian and Maverick, are the turbodiesel half ton RAM and Silverado/Sierra. This isn't to say that they will break down every five minutes because most new vehicles are going to get you 50-100k miles without much going on, but modern diesels have so many emissions components to them that there's a lot that can go wrong and lead to a somewhat expensive repair bill in the future. I don't think any of these are going to turn into the next 6.ohno fiasco but if you want to keep the truck for 10 years, it's something to think about.

The next most fuel efficient truck is the F150 with a turbocharged gas V6 and a hybrid system, so realistically probably not a lot simpler than the diesels above.

Amusingly enough, none of the mid-size trucks beat the full-size trucks on fuel economy. The Colorado/Canyon is getting a redesign for 2023 that includes the 2.7L turbo four cylinder from the fullsize but I doubt that's going to push it past 26MPG.

About the only truck I'd say you might specifically want to avoid is the Gladiator - because you're eating a ton of concessions in how it drives and how it is to live with, in order to have a truck that is ultimately a Wrangler more than a truck.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

shortspecialbus posted:

Sure.

I’m most familiar with Ford vehicles, but it seems like they’ve made some changes and allowed XLT trim trucks to get their suite of of safety stuff for the most recent year.

Looking at the Chevy Silverado though if you want automatic emergency braking, forward collision alert, surround view camera, lane keeping assist you have to step up to the LTZ trim of the truck (starts at 52k) and make sure you add the premium package which gets you to about 58K

A personal example, my sister in law and my wife both have 2020 Ford Expedition Limiteds. SiL has the base 300a package on her Limited. This was a car with a 66K MSRP. We have the 303a package/ stealth edition. SiL’s car doesn’t have the 360 camera, LED headlamps, the enhanced park assistance, and the ford co pilot assist features. I think our msrp was 73k or so. So even going up to the limited trim on the expedition they still locked some stuff behind extra packages. The 303a package was 7 grand and included the panoramic sunroof I don’t really care about.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I am considering buying a used Tesla. I remember a story that the price of a new Tesla is non-negotiable. If I were to buy from the dealership, would that same rule apply to a used Tesla?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Used car sales dealers, anything goes, you can barter six weeks of crop labor in 2024 for a used car if you want, or three tons of iron ore deliverable 2025, pay cash or purple sea shells, the sky is the limit. I don't think there are any Teslas in the Yap islands, but if there were, you could buy one with 6' diameter carved stone discs

New cars are ordered via Tesla's website, and they also have a non negotiable used Tesla site too, but only because that's how their site works

Edit: there's no supercharger on Yap, so stone discs are probably out

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 29, 2021

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

shortspecialbus posted:

Hello, we recently moved to a much more rural area than we were previously in, and have decided it's time to trade my wife's decrepit 2013 Mazda3 for a pickup truck of some variety.

Definitely seems like a truck would be the way to go for your use case. I honestly wouldn't bother considering SUVs/crossovers because hauling trash in an SUV is the worst. At least with a sedan you can put it in the trunk and not have it stink everything up. And a truck does an excellent job covering your outdoorsy SUV use cases.

Anyhow, as an F-150 owner, I would recommend an F-150. The new ones are all-around very nice vehicles for the money. I have the XLT, which is the second lowest trim and it's still pretty great :shrug:. I opted for the supercab (the one with the suicide doors) because it gives you extra interior space for delicate cargo/valuables, occasional seating for friends, and the ability to lean your seats back, all while not adding too much length or cost, and the 6.5' bed, which I've found to be a very good size. Even my dad in construction told me I didn't need to bother with an 8' bed. If you find yourself moving construction materials a lot, consider adding a rack.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Define "small tractor" because depending on what you mean here, the 3000lb tow rating of a Forester/Outback (and just about everything in that segment) might not be enough to be able to handle the combined weight of the tractor, trailer, and cargo/passengers within the vehicle. I don't think the idea of "crossover/SUV with a trailer" is inherently flawed if you don't mind having to use a trailer anytime you have cargo you don't want to put inside the vehicle, but I think you'd have a much better time doing so if you jump up a size class towards vehicles with 5000-7000lb tow ratings. Most tow capacities you see are only achievable with just the driver and no cargo.

Well, right now, I mean a zero turn 48"-deck mower that we moved with us, but we're considering a small Kubota BX tractor. It sounds like truck is the way to go based on this and other posts - we were thinking that anyways, but were keeping our options open.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Safety features that aren't mandated by law (i.e. everything has to have a backup camera now) are often tied into higher-trim packages but this really isn't unique to the truck market. Most of these features tend to be tools to avoid a crash, though, rather than things that will change your survivability / injury rates once a crash happens.

Gotcha - I tend to dislike those things, but she may want them. I was more concerned with crash ratings, which is a thing I'm perfectly capable of looking up on my own I suppose!

IOwnCalculus posted:

"Reliability", at least as far as most people would define it, and "fuel economy", are actually slightly at odds with each other. The most fuel efficient trucks on the market right now, other than the Rivian and Maverick, are the turbodiesel half ton RAM and Silverado/Sierra. This isn't to say that they will break down every five minutes because most new vehicles are going to get you 50-100k miles without much going on, but modern diesels have so many emissions components to them that there's a lot that can go wrong and lead to a somewhat expensive repair bill in the future. I don't think any of these are going to turn into the next 6.ohno fiasco but if you want to keep the truck for 10 years, it's something to think about.

The next most fuel efficient truck is the F150 with a turbocharged gas V6 and a hybrid system, so realistically probably not a lot simpler than the diesels above.

Amusingly enough, none of the mid-size trucks beat the full-size trucks on fuel economy. The Colorado/Canyon is getting a redesign for 2023 that includes the 2.7L turbo four cylinder from the fullsize but I doubt that's going to push it past 26MPG.

About the only truck I'd say you might specifically want to avoid is the Gladiator - because you're eating a ton of concessions in how it drives and how it is to live with, in order to have a truck that is ultimately a Wrangler more than a truck.

We were warned off of the Colorado by a friend of ours who's a Chevy dealership mechanic because they're apparently a colossal pain to work on. I looked a bit into hybrid trucks and they seem either too expensive (F-150 hybrid) or too small, so that's probably a no-go I guess, plus they probably throw both reliability and our ability to work on them beyond super basic stuff out the window.

We've had 2 recommendations for F-150, what do people think of the GMC Sierra 1500, Dodge RAM 1500, etc? I heard Tundra mentioned. Is the Ridgeline any good? We seriously are not truck people and I've largely ignored them up until this point, so we don't really have a lot to fall back on aside from a general idea that usually people who bought whatever brand of truck REALLY LOVE THAT BRAND OF TRUCK and hate all other trucks, which makes it hard to get actual objective assessments. The other thing I guess I'm starting to gather is that they're all about the same, so it probably won't matter too much beyond test driving some and seeing which she prefers. She's short and small so some may have better sightlines or comfort for her I guess, she's hoping to go do some test drives today.

Edit: Apparently my wife's employer offers some form of discount from GM stuff, so that may shove us in that direction unless there's a compelling reason to avoid GM trucks as a whole.

ssb fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 29, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hadlock posted:

Used car sales dealers, anything goes, you can barter six weeks of crop labor in 2024 for a used car if you want, or three tons of iron ore deliverable 2025, pay cash or purple sea shells, the sky is the limit. I don't think there are any Teslas in the Yap islands, but if there were, you could buy one with 6' diameter carved stone discs

New cars are ordered via Tesla's website, and they also have a non negotiable used Tesla site too, but only because that's how their site works

How much luck have you had negotiating with Carmax?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

shortspecialbus posted:

Well, right now, I mean a zero turn 48"-deck mower that we moved with us, but we're considering a small Kubota BX tractor. It sounds like truck is the way to go based on this and other posts - we were thinking that anyways, but were keeping our options open.

Gotcha - I tend to dislike those things, but she may want them. I was more concerned with crash ratings, which is a thing I'm perfectly capable of looking up on my own I suppose!

We were warned off of the Colorado by a friend of ours who's a Chevy dealership mechanic because they're apparently a colossal pain to work on. I looked a bit into hybrid trucks and they seem either too expensive (F-150 hybrid) or too small, so that's probably a no-go I guess, plus they probably throw both reliability and our ability to work on them beyond super basic stuff out the window.

We've had 2 recommendations for F-150, what do people think of the GMC Sierra 1500, Dodge RAM 1500, etc? I heard Tundra mentioned. Is the Ridgeline any good? We seriously are not truck people and I've largely ignored them up until this point, so we don't really have a lot to fall back on aside from a general idea that usually people who bought whatever brand of truck REALLY LOVE THAT BRAND OF TRUCK and hate all other trucks, which makes it hard to get actual objective assessments. The other thing I guess I'm starting to gather is that they're all about the same, so it probably won't matter too much beyond test driving some and seeing which she prefers. She's short and small so some may have better sightlines or comfort for her I guess, she's hoping to go do some test drives today.

Edit: Apparently my wife's employer offers some form of discount from GM stuff, so that may shove us in that direction unless there's a compelling reason to avoid GM trucks as a whole.

Some dealers aren’t participating in supplier discounts (usually how those employer GM discounts are run) because of the current shortage, and they’re not incredible anyway; so you might not be limited to GM. They’re fine?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

How much luck have you had negotiating with Carmax?

You can negotiate with CarMax and similar "price set in stone" businesses by asking them to pay more for your trade-in. That is usually up to a person evaluating trade, not an algorithm. They all have quotas to meet, especially now, when the year is almost over. Get top dollar for your clunker on the 31st of December.

I've done it with great success, albeit pre-pandemic.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Why aren’t you considering the Tacoma? I just got one and it whips so I’m biased. I have an workplace Gm discount but it ended up being a really lovely deal when I looked in October. It was a much better deal when I looked in December ‘20.

Figure out how much you need to tow/haul and decide if paying potentially an extra $15k or more for the full size capacity (and their lesser reliability) is necessary imo.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 29, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nitrox posted:

You can negotiate with CarMax and similar "price set in stone" businesses by asking them to pay more for your trade-in. That is usually up to a person evaluating trade, not an algorithm. They all have quotas to meet, especially now, when the year is almost over. Get top dollar for your clunker on the 31st of December.

I've done it with great success, albeit pre-pandemic.

Sure but we don’t even know if OP has a trade in and the notion that at all used car dealerships “anything goes” is just false.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Thanks.

It's funny you mention Yap as it's on my list of places to visit in the near future.

Edit: Are there any benefits to buying a used Tesla from a Tesla dealership?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 29, 2021

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

There's nothing wrong with any of the big truck brands. Get a gas engine, not a diesel, unless you know what you're doing. If you're buying it to haul poo poo, I'd look at the towing capacity and torque figures, and buy based on that.

GM Sierra 1500, F150, Chevy Silverado, Toyota Tacoma. Maybe stay away from Dodge? They're expensive for some reason. If this isn't going to be your primary and you're not going to use it to road trip your haul things, I'd get as cheap as you can that fits the number of butts you need.

We also haul our zero turn and a Polaris ranger, but do so with a Yukon XL and a farm trailer. You don't have to buy a truck to haul poo poo, you just need the tow capacity. We also load a bunch of building material, heavy rear end tile, lumber and whatever else in the Yukon all the time, but still use it for road trips, so it worked out for us.

If you're planning to buy new, Toyota holds their value very well and will fit all your needs for the most part. If I was buying right now I'd look at them.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

ethanol posted:

Why aren’t you considering the Tacoma? I just got one and it whips so I’m biased. I have an workplace Gm discount but it ended up being a really lovely deal when I looked in October. It was a much better deal when I looked in December ‘20.

Figure out how much you need to tow/haul and decide if paying potentially an extra $15k or more for the full size capacity (and their lesser reliability) is necessary imo.

Tacoma is on the list, sorry - I think that's the one my wife is most interested in actually!

Mustache Ride posted:

There's nothing wrong with any of the big truck brands. Get a gas engine, not a diesel, unless you know what you're doing. If you're buying it to haul poo poo, I'd look at the towing capacity and torque figures, and buy based on that.

GM Sierra 1500, F150, Chevy Silverado, Toyota Tacoma. Maybe stay away from Dodge? They're expensive for some reason. If this isn't going to be your primary and you're not going to use it to road trip your haul things, I'd get as cheap as you can that fits the number of butts you need.

We also haul our zero turn and a Polaris ranger, but do so with a Yukon XL and a farm trailer. You don't have to buy a truck to haul poo poo, you just need the tow capacity. We also load a bunch of building material, heavy rear end tile, lumber and whatever else in the Yukon all the time, but still use it for road trips, so it worked out for us.

If you're planning to buy new, Toyota holds their value very well and will fit all your needs for the most part. If I was buying right now I'd look at them.

I bought my WRX with the blood money from the TDI dieselgate, so I'm probably done with diesel. Thanks for the other info! Hoping to get her out to test drive some of these.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

Thanks.

It's funny you mention Yap as it's on my list of places to visit in the near future.

Edit: Are there any benefits to buying a used Tesla from a Tesla dealership?

Tesla doesn't have dealerships in the same way Apple doesn't have dealerships. All Tesla stores are 100% owned by Tesla and basically just exist so you can sit in one before placing an online order.

Edit: truck talk.

The Throttle House guys tested all the major trucks before buying a Ram and you should probably just watch all their truck reviews:

https://youtu.be/0tUWJwT6mSQ

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 29, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

We were warned off of the Colorado by a friend of ours who's a Chevy dealership mechanic because they're apparently a colossal pain to work on.

Yeah, if you're looking at a Kubota (nice) then 5k towing capacity is the lowest I'd even consider. There are larger SUVs that will tow that all day long (Grand Cherokee, Tahoe/Yukon, Expedition) but if a bed sounds useful then congratulations on your new truck.

I actually have a 2018 Canyon with the 2.8L diesel so I'm biased as gently caress but I think it's a fantastic truck. With the caveat that I bought it when I needed one vehicle to haul things in the bed, tow at least 5000lb on a trailer plus cargo and passengers in the vehicle, and still turn in respectable fuel numbers commuting 60 miles a day. Now that I'm on a larger property and have room for more vehicles, I'd probably have bought a cheap older GM fullsize with a 5.3 or 6.0 V8 and only use it for truck things.

To put it another way, I love that drat Canyon so much that if/when I'm forced back into commuting into the office, I'm probably going to buy something small and cheap to commute in just to avoid a situation where I want to replace the Canyon sooner than needed just from racking up miles driving two people around.

I haven't had to do anything on the Canyon yet other than fluid changes and one particulate sensor. The engine oil on the diesel is fine once you learn the tricks to not spilling some out of the filter when you remove it (mostly, open the filter first and let it drain before you crawl under). Transmission fluid is the same process about half the market uses now, where instead of a dipstick you have to set the level using a check plug with it running and at temperature. Differential was easy mode because through 2018 they actually give you a loving drain plug but I guess that went away in 2019. The particulate sensor was two 10mm bolts and an O2 socket. Nothing I've encountered yet that would be a "pain in the rear end".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

we're considering a small Kubota BX tractor.

If you've never run a subcompact tractor before be real careful about this. Those things are basically just toys. Unsafe ones at that. The don't weigh enough to do any real work safely, certainly not with a loader. And the loader reach is just awful.

They have their place: when you really need to be doing work close in/tight quarters. And rental yards (because they weigh so little you can put them on a trailer and tow them behind just about any small suv/pickup).

I would not recommend them for any kind of real work. But they get pushed hard because it's something someone who doesn't really have the space/need for a tractor can justify since it's just a glorified lawn tractor.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Also, we've never had to haul a tractor ourselves. It stays at the property (at first inside a shipping container and then in a barn after it was built) and we had a service contract from the tractor dealer that said "we will come pick the loving thing up".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mustache Ride posted:

Also, we've never had to haul a tractor ourselves. It stays at the property (at first inside a shipping container and then in a barn after it was built) and we had a service contract from the tractor dealer that said "we will come pick the loving thing up".

Yeah, this too. There's really no need to be prepared to move your tractor around unless you're like, a contractor who's bringing it to job sites. They simply don't need much more than an annual service, and for as little as it should cost for it to be moved to the dealership once a year it would take a century to justify upsizing a truck and trailer.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I love the Tacoma as a great driving truck but in my experience it really was not cut out for towing. It's still a "midsize" and gets the same poo poo(or worse) MPG's the fullsize trucks get with lesser utility. Get an F150 like everyone else and their brother.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I keep pricing 2021 Mach 1s on the web site. I get “x-plan” pricing from my job but of course the Mach 1 isn’t eligible.

I sold my 03 Mach 1 a few months ago. Obviously the almost 20 year difference should favor the newer model. Should I just be looking at a well optioned GT instead? They qualify for x-plan and their are more of them in the wild.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

Tesla doesn't have dealerships in the same way Apple doesn't have dealerships. All Tesla stores are 100% owned by Tesla and basically just exist so you can sit in one before placing an online order.

Fine, let's call them stores. Any benefits to buying a used one there rather than in a private transaction?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

Fine, let's call them stores. Any benefits to buying a used one there rather than in a private transaction?

If you like to buy cars, even used ones, sight unseen and wait weeks/months to take delivery then sure, go to the Tesla store. Or don't and just order one off of the web site. It's gonna be the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxSQuGeoug8

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

If you like to buy cars, even used ones, sight unseen and wait weeks/months to take delivery then sure, go to the Tesla store. Or don't and just order one off of the web site. It's gonna be the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxSQuGeoug8

Oh poo poo, I didn't know that there was no way to test drive a used Tesla that the store offers for sale. That sucks ... for them. Thanks.

Edit: But the savings of their used cars over a new car are a loving joke, so I guess I'm buying new or not at all.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

theHUNGERian posted:

Tesla gives a big extended warranty and given that these things make iPads look pinnacles of right to repair, its actually maybe worth it.

(For the record, probably don't own a tesla out of warranty. German boats may be expensive to fix, but at least you can diy or shop around mechanics)