Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
hey oregoons, abby's pizza kinda sucks but they offer smoked oysters as a topping and lemme tell ya' they're good on a pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just had Riga fried in tomato sauce.

Ugh. Mushy and overly sweet. First bad thing from Riga I’ve had. Tomato sauce just means garbage fish, is like nothing in tomato sauce is good. Next I’ll try their smoked goby.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

like nothing in tomato sauce is good

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

The Voice of Labor posted:

hey oregoons, abby's pizza kinda sucks but they offer smoked oysters as a topping and lemme tell ya' they're good on a pizza

interesting what kinda pie does it go good on?

I'm thinking white garlic sauce, sun dried tomatoes, italian herbs, red pepper and finish with fresh basil after it comes out of the oven

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Nuris in tomato are pretty solid imho, only good ones I've had.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I tried to buy some sardines, for the first time, at Whole Foods recently. The checker took them away from me because they were apparently recalled.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Glottis posted:

I tried to buy some sardines, for the first time, at Whole Foods recently. The checker took them away from me because they were apparently recalled.

so they can keep em for themselves!!!! next time just grab em and run

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

BasicLich posted:

interesting what kinda pie does it go good on?

I'm thinking white garlic sauce, sun dried tomatoes, italian herbs, red pepper and finish with fresh basil after it comes out of the oven

they'll overhwhelm anything else they're with. I just did a regular pie with onions and the oysters. I'm not real big on pesto or mayonaise or whatever sauces on pizza, but to each their own. the only thing that made it not 100% the best thing ever are that abby's sauce is not good and I'm probably the only person who's ordered the things in like 15 years so they were, I'm sure, some new old stock smoked oysters.

naem
May 29, 2011

there was a place with good thick crust that had kalamata olives, feta cheese and anchovies which on an otherwise regular cheese pizza was amazing

they stopped all three toppings

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
man this thread used to be so funny

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
A sardine walks into a bar. I just swam here all the way from Portugal and boy are my fins tired!!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
😞

Still not as funny as it once was

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
you should promote your book here. it's pretty funny

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
BATTLE SPRAT

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
I guess with resource scarcity and societal collapse there's just no point in arguing over whether fishermans eggs broiled at 500 degrees is worth the energy cost. we need something to pointelssly bicker about, guess I'll wait until sardines start turning up with covid antibodies, all wearing tiny kelp masks over their gills

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

isaboo posted:

BATTLE SPRAT

that time I ate a can of beachcliff sardines in hot sauce over the sink

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I think you might be mistaken as this thread has always been dadly serious

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Ill bring the room back up.

Wife got me this awesome ornament for Christmas.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
After some middle of the night :2bong: I'd be stabbing at that thing with a fork to get the fishies

naem
May 29, 2011

Planet X posted:

wife her again

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

dead prez posted:

no fish though

dead prez is cancelled

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Planet X posted:

blessed

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Planet X posted:

God bless us, every one!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
'dine biter
laziest man in the sea
'dine biter
with a bottle of cholula he's ready for 'dine eventualities

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
did 'dines on avocado on toast. didn't have any sherry vinegar. tried mixing some red wine vinegar with sherry but that wasn't happening so I used lemon juice and drizzled a little dry sack on top. was o.k. but I'm not real sure about the 'dine avocado combo, like maybe I used too much avocado but it seemed to really thin out the dine flavor and texture

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Riga smoked gobi were good very mild, firm fish, with a strong smoke flavor.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Heads up, the haiku contest is up on facebook

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Snagged some variety packs from tincanfish, one for me and one for my dad. Hot tomato sauce and hot oil are really good, haven't tried the others. Expectations are high.

mkvltra fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 22, 2021

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Porthos are extremely good fish quality. They have this freshness that I associate with actual non-tinned seafood

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I found some Croatian 'dines at the store. Jadran are good, Adriatic Queen are small and bland.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/r5EJCJbZ3qQ

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
A huge new European (mostly Russian) supermarket opened right near me on Tuesday, and I went yesterday. I love any ethnic grocery stores, but this place was like heaven for any fans of smoked, cured, pickled, and canned fish. They had the largest selection of canned and jarred sardines, sprats, and herring I've ever seen, in addition to refrigerated and frozen fish.

This was my haul:

Of all the cans to randomly decide on, I already had a can of the Marco Polos in my pantry, so that was a stupid choice, but everything else is, or should be, great.

My wife and I shared the package of butterfish last night with the pierogies in the back, which I pan-fried in some butter and served with sour cream and caramelized onions. Sometimes butterfish refers to escolar or "white tuna," a fish used in sushi that is infamous for causing gastrointestinal distress, but I knew this would actually be very thin slices of smoked sable, which we enjoyed immensely at Ess-A-Bagel in Midtown Manhattan. It's a rich, luxurious, silky smoked fish that most bagel and appetizing shops and delis don't carry, so I was stoked to find a source twelve minutes from home.

The vacuum-sealed fish section next to the butterfish package is osetrina, or hot-smoked sturgeon, another fish I enjoyed so much at Ess-A-Bagel that is equally impossible to find around here... until now. I opened it up today and cut a few thin slices onto a bagel with cream cheese, sliced tomatoes, and pickled red onions I pickled myself.

The ajvar is a thick, chunky, spicy, salsa-like dip from the Balkans made with roasted red bell peppers, hot peppers, eggplant, and garlic. I've had it before because Big Lots sometimes carries it, but this market had at least a dozen brands of ajvar to choose from! This Marco Polo brand was good.

I'm looking forward to reviewing the 'dines and mustards in future installments of The 'Dines List (https://saboscrivner.com/category/what-else-do-you-wanna-know/the-dines-list/) and Cutting the Mustard (https://saboscrivner.com/category/what-else-do-you-wanna-know/cutting-the-mustard/) on my food blog.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
drat congratulations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

got some Christmas fish from the gf

i already finished a spicy olive oil one and it was good!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

got some Christmas fish from the gf

i already finished a spicy olive oil one and it was good!

She gives the 'dine
She gets the ring

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Oh man smoked sturgeon and sablefish are just the best. I see sable once in a great while, usually cheaper than smoked salmon which it's way nicer than.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Myron Baloney posted:

Oh man smoked sturgeon and sablefish are just the best. I see sable once in a great while, usually cheaper than smoked salmon which it's way nicer than.

This new Russian market near my house is the only grocery store I know of in Orlando that has either. They also carry Acme Smoked Fish Co. nova salmon (which I usually buy at Costco) and different flavors of Acme pickled herring (wine sauce, cream sauce, dill sauce, maybe one or two others). Acme is based in Brooklyn, and they are pretty much the big name in smoked, cured, and pickled fish for appetizing stores and bagel shops.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

My local stores now only sell "lox" made from cheapass keta salmon and it's nothing like atlantic salmon, but at least there's reliably hot smoked atlantic salmon and great lakes lake trout, whitefish and chubs. Also lately I've seen "smoked blind robins" really cheap. They are very dry, like jerky dry, and salty. I thought they were smoked Sea Robins at first but I guess they're basically kippered herring fillets so I'll prepare them that way and stop trying to eat them as-is lol.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Myron Baloney posted:

My local stores now only sell "lox" made from cheapass keta salmon and it's nothing like atlantic salmon, but at least there's reliably hot smoked atlantic salmon and great lakes lake trout, whitefish and chubs. Also lately I've seen "smoked blind robins" really cheap. They are very dry, like jerky dry, and salty. I thought they were smoked Sea Robins at first but I guess they're basically kippered herring fillets so I'll prepare them that way and stop trying to eat them as-is lol.

Where are you located? Costco carries the Acme nova salmon as well as their own Kirkland brand, which is cheaper and identical, as far as I can tell.

I've never seen "smoked blind robins" anywhere, but I wonder if they're like bacalao (salt cod) and need to be rehydrated.

Smoked whitefish and chubs are some of my all-time favorites too. Every few years I'll splurge on a whole chub and make whitefish salad, but the hundreds of thin, plastic-like, pin-shaped bones are a real annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Stunk up the kitchen last night with garlicy fishermans eggs fritatta thing. Found some chopped up fresh lemongrass in the back of the fridge, threw than in along with some noodles.

What yall doin