Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Bozackary Draconian, you clean up this room right now!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Hexmage-SA posted:

Honestly modern day global capitalism seems like something Lawful Evil devils would be fans of in that just living day to day normal life screws someone over due to systems of oppression.

I was just describing my experiences DMing. I've slowly learned not to assume that the PCs will necessarily do heroic things.

There's a reason why we have the term 'murderhobo'

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

What’s the problem with the name Bozak for draconians?

bozak dragonman

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
bozak yellow

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This is my dragonborn bard, Honoré de Bozak

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

change my name posted:

This is my dragonborn bard, Honoré de Bozak

incredible

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

They look cool.

Wonder if the unfortunate name is why they are generally called Draconian Mages now.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Bozaks iirc are the Bronze ones so just like Kapak Draconians were meant to evoke their draconic origin; kinda like its the draconic word for those metals?

Bozak -> Bronze.
Kapak -> Copper
Aurak -> Bronze
Sivak -> Silver
Baaz -> Brass
Tupac -> Platinum

Etc.

Char posted:

The last ~10 pages of discussion mirror a bit my experience, as in, managing to rope in some non-invested-in-fantasy-or-gaming friends/SOs, when the orcs raided my friend's farm, despite having a level in DRUID, they locked in their house and hid, waiting for the raid to go away.

The idea of going out and FIGHT and KILL THE ORCS?
"are you a psycho or what"
"well they're killing your cow now"
":("

Seems like 5e's success is bringing in people who don't understand violence solves everything! :clint::toughguy: and other novel concepts like "there's no inherently evil race".

These guys sound legitimately fun to play with I hope they ended up enjoying the game. :ohdear:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm a dragonborn out for revenge after the mysterious murder of my father, Tupac

obviously the late campaign twist is that he faked his death

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Bozaks iirc are the Bronze ones so just like Kapak Draconians were meant to evoke their draconic origin; kinda like its the draconic word for those metals?

Bozak -> Bronze.
Kapak -> Copper
Aurak -> Bronze
Sivak -> Silver
Baaz -> Brass
Tupac -> Platinum

Etc.

These guys sound legitimately fun to play with I hope they ended up enjoying the game. :ohdear:

Wait... Tupac draconians!?!?!?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's a joke because of platinum records and Bahamut is the Platinum Dragon in Dragonlance. :)

And literally a plotpoint that clerical magic returns to Krynn from recovering the Platinum "discs".

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Tupac -> Platinum

:discourse:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Bozak -> Bronze.
Kapak -> Copper
Aurak -> Bronze
Sivak -> Silver
Baaz -> Brass
Tupac -> Platinum

Etc.

Aurak are from Gold dragon eggs. Draconians are cooler than Dragonborn.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Devorum posted:

them's fightin' words

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Azathoth posted:

them's fightin' words

That's fine, Draconians are cooler even when they lose a fight.

"Dragonfolk made by an evil goddess corrupting the eggs of good dragons now trying to find their way in a world that hates them for a war they were forced to wage" is just way better than "Uhhh...we just spontaneously popped out of some dragon eggs and we're the best parts of humans and dragons combined, I guess?" any day of the week.

Also, death throes are rad.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Devorum posted:

Oh yeah, that's a typo, woops!

Devorum posted:

That's fine, Draconians are cooler even when they lose a fight.

"Dragonfolk made by an evil goddess corrupting the eggs of good dragons now trying to find their way in a world that hates them for a war they were forced to wage" is just way better than "Uhhh...we just spontaneously popped out of some dragon eggs and we're the best parts of humans and dragons combined, I guess?" any day of the week.

Also, death throes are rad.

Yeah the Krynn Draconians are like my favs, their story is just super engaging and its always fun to cheer for the underdogs. Their Red vs Blue style shenanigans in the first book were hilarious.

I really want a sequel that explores their city-state and new society in Teyr but the most we've seen is when they got a cameo helping the good guys in the War of Souls series.

It was really a different and more unique sort of story when it comes to fantasy books, where its more of a military operation and less an adventuring party. I think the closest thing to having the same sort of "feel" is the Halo novels.

They're not necessarily good people, but they clearly develop over the books and side stories and clearly demonstrate the capacity for good. The heroic actions of Kang's Regiment set the foundation for Draconians to join the world on equal terms as free willed sentients.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Oh yeah, that's a typo, woops!

Yeah the Krynn Draconians are like my favs, their story is just super engaging and its always fun to cheer for the underdogs. Their Red vs Blue style shenanigans in the first book were hilarious.

I really want a sequel that explores their city-state and new society in Teyr but the most we've seen is when they got a cameo helping the good guys in the War of Souls series.

It was really a different and more unique sort of story when it comes to fantasy books, where its more of a military operation and less an adventuring party. I think the closest thing to having the same sort of "feel" is the Halo novels.

They're not necessarily good people, but they clearly develop over the books and side stories and clearly demonstrate the capacity for good. The heroic actions of Kang's Regiment set the foundation for Draconians to join the world on equal terms as free willed sentients.

It's a pretty good take on the "Evil Race Made by Evil God to be Evil Mooks" trope, showing that while, yes, they were made by an evil goddess to be evil Mooks...that doesn't make them inherently evil and they may not even want to be part of the evil army, they just have little choice in the matter due to the circumstances they're in and the prejudices of the rest of the world.

Especially considering they started moving them down that path decades before the rest of fantasy really started exploring the Evil Mook That's Totally Not A Thinly Veiled Oppressed Real World Demographic problem.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Two of four did! But they are transmogrifying into murderhobos...

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a rogue in my game who'se going go be a swashbuckler and wants to use grappling hooks.

As a homebrew would reskinning a whip as a grappling hook work?

Also if the damage was dropped from 1d4 to 1d2 would it make sense to add the Light property? Thoughts on that?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a rogue in my game who'se going go be a swashbuckler and wants to use grappling hooks.

Also if the damage was dropped from 1d4 to 1d2 would it make sense to add the Light property? Thoughts on that?

Don't drop the damage and just let him do it, it's not going to break the game.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Are they dual-wielding grappling hooks? That is awesome. Like Malpais Legate said; I wouldn't change the damage and I don't see any issues with just granting it the light property. Just make sure they do funny/awesome stuff with their hooks.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Shortsword/whip

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Malpais Legate posted:

Don't drop the damage and just let him do it, it's not going to break the game.

This. Let them be Indiana Jones! Dropping the damage just disincentivizes creativity.

Devorum posted:

It's a pretty good take on the "Evil Race Made by Evil God to be Evil Mooks" trope, showing that while, yes, they were made by an evil goddess to be evil Mooks...that doesn't make them inherently evil and they may not even want to be part of the evil army, they just have little choice in the matter due to the circumstances they're in and the prejudices of the rest of the world.

Especially considering they started moving them down that path decades before the rest of fantasy really started exploring the Evil Mook That's Totally Not A Thinly Veiled Oppressed Real World Demographic problem.

Yeah the Kang's Regiment novels really felt remarkably ahead of its time and had a really great effect on me as a kid. Looking at it from their PoV its clear that much like Drow children they're just inducted into whats basically a religious cult and indoctrinated; but anyone can break out of it and get disillusioned with the cult. Kang also clearly had some PTSD as a result of years of grinding warfare which is also a nice touch.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

An angle that hasn't been really brought up yet I think is that this not only occurs within a setting with an otherwise somewhat bizarre view of morality but it also avoids having them get overly chummy and onboard with the forces that beat up the evil queen/empire/etc they've deserted from. As far as they're concerned, elves are still assholes, their (former) dragon parents are terrifying monsters, and the shining knights in armour want them dead. Offhandedly in the second novel one of the character reminisces about the time they got to eat a kender as a sort of treat*. They don't murder and pillage, their new nation is up for trading with people they don't like, and when they needed to take refuge in a monastery while they were hunting for a home they didn't do anything rude to the clergy but they're not at all ashamed about existing and their reasons for not being onboard with evil shitheads is very much 'they want us dead just as much as the 'good guys' rather than 'oh no we have harmed the protagonists :('
Refreshing. And very odd for dragonlance.

*Yes I know we're all agreed that was objectively a good deed, but in-universe, not so much.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
To be fair Kender* are delicious otherwise it wouldn't be called a Kender Surprise!

IIRC they're (the Teyrian Draconians) allied with the Lawful Neutral shining knights, the Legion of Steel has a outpost near Teyr and they help out.

*I actually love Kender, they're perfect for the more casual 4th wall jokey sort of person, a Kender Bard is my personal ideal race/class combo.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

So I haven't read the novels myself, but my impression of the Dragonlance setting is that it's one that paradoxically makes both a lot of potentially interesting and hilariously dumb worldbuilding decisions.

While they've become kind of infamous for being terrible, I don't think the baseline concept behind the Kender (That is "innocent race of curious tricksters without a concept of personal ownership") is in and of itself bad, but the execution was terrible and played into all the worst sort of player behaviours.

The fact that they gave all the generic D&D races they included a bunch of distinct cultures and subraces was actually kind of forward thinking, though it was still mired in a lot of the essentialist thinking of early D&D.

The idea of a world recovering from a catastrophe where the gods of good have abandoned the mortal civilizations is a potentially really interesting set up...But then we also get the creator's very weird ideas of what "good" and "evil" are all about.

I feel like this contrast was even relevant in the first Dragonlance adventure module, Dragons of Despair: One of the setting details it brings up is that gold doesn't have any practical value in post-cataclysm Krynn due to a lack of practical applications for it, and that metals like steel or iron that can be smelted to make weapons and tools are far more valuable in this world, which is a really interesting idea. The problem is it immediately gets stupid in the details of how they execute it: The module suggests demonstrating gold's lack of value by having NPCs propping open doors with gold bars which...If gold had value BEFORE the cataclysm, why were there just big bars of gold kicking around for people to find and repurpose as door stops? Similarly, if iron and steel are valuable because of their practical uses, why are they minting coins out of them? They entire point of coins is that they're a more permanent unit of value that people aren't going to melt down for practical uses...

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

KingKalamari posted:

I feel like this contrast was even relevant in the first Dragonlance adventure module, Dragons of Despair: One of the setting details it brings up is that gold doesn't have any practical value in post-cataclysm Krynn due to a lack of practical applications for it, and that metals like steel or iron that can be smelted to make weapons and tools are far more valuable in this world, which is a really interesting idea. The problem is it immediately gets stupid in the details of how they execute it: The module suggests demonstrating gold's lack of value by having NPCs propping open doors with gold bars which...If gold had value BEFORE the cataclysm, why were there just big bars of gold kicking around for people to find and repurpose as door stops? Similarly, if iron and steel are valuable because of their practical uses, why are they minting coins out of them? They entire point of coins is that they're a more permanent unit of value that people aren't going to melt down for practical uses...

I assume it's to just cut out the middleman when bartering but it's not like gold is a precious metal because there are tons of practical uses for it as is anyways. Gold is already intrinsically useless and just assigned a value to act as money, that's not even different from vanilla D&D

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Presumably the gold bars were left behind in ancient dungeons, its easier to store and transport metals in bars than as coinage, especially if there might be a desire to smelt them into different products (jewelry, plates, etc).

The idea is that because steel started off immediately post cataclysm as inherently more valuable due to its practicality that a couple hundred of years later steel historically is seen as inherently valuable which then morphs into coinage. It isn't like they mint steel coins immediately, it takes a few generations for the culture and traditions to change and adapt to the new circumstances.

KingKalamari posted:

While they've become kind of infamous for being terrible, I don't think the baseline concept behind the Kender (That is "innocent race of curious tricksters without a concept of personal ownership") is in and of itself bad, but the execution was terrible and played into all the worst sort of player behaviours.

I dunno its been a while since I read the books but as a kid reading them I'd always grin at reading Kender antics, its like being able to vicarious live through them; there was something really compelling about these characters that had license to being little poo poo gremlins.

They also were resistant to fear effects and otherwise didn't feel fear, so they could always be relied on to keep the plot rolling because they'd walk up and grab the red gem/the lamplever and keep things moving.

Maybe they're not always utilized well particularly as player characters in peoples campaigns but I like the idea of them; they were always a ray of sunshine to me in a rather bleak and dark world that tried to be the edgy high fantasy setting.

quote:

The fact that they gave all the generic D&D races they included a bunch of distinct cultures and subraces was actually kind of forward thinking, though it was still mired in a lot of the essentialist thinking of early D&D.

Idk, the minotaurs didn't seem too essentialist; somewhat of an klingon-esque emphasis on honour and being warriors but culturally they felt a lot like Carthage, being very skilled sailors and maintaining a maritime naval empire from the ashes of ishtar when the world flooded.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is there a resource with like free modules, even for earlier editions? I want a map of a castle to use for a party that is infiltrating it the next session, and figure if something out there has done half the grunt work for me, why not take advantage of it. I bet something out there has something appropriate to crib.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is there a resource with like free modules, even for earlier editions? I want a map of a castle to use for a party that is infiltrating it the next session, and figure if something out there has done half the grunt work for me, why not take advantage of it. I bet something out there has something appropriate to crib.

You might try Drive Thru RPG - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/

They've got lots of free stuff.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Deteriorata posted:

You might try Drive Thru RPG - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/

They've got lots of free stuff.

I didn't know this. Thanks! Found some useful things.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
If you are just looking for a free map that you can reskin, rather than a whole adventure, you can take a look at Dyson's Map Archive https://dysonlogos.blog/maps/

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Other useful sources of free/cheap maps:

2-Minute Tabletop
Crosshead Studios
Miska's Maps
Neutral Party Maps

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Looking for a bit of advice for my current character. I play as a Tiefling bard, currently at level 5. Most of my combat utility comes from using things like searing smite or branding smite. That said, they sort of require me to get in close proximity to the enemies, and my low AC and HP frequently put me on my back. I’d like to do something to be a little bit more helpful in combat situations. Any advice for what I might look into trying?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
what Bard College.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Off-topic but 2 minute tabletop has a really awesome database of minis to use and even an editor to change the colors and such on them. I really like having a consistent art style for all my stuff and their library has rarely failed me(no undead horse, what the heck?).

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Drakyn posted:

An angle that hasn't been really brought up yet I think is that this not only occurs within a setting with an otherwise somewhat bizarre view of morality but it also avoids having them get overly chummy and onboard with the forces that beat up the evil queen/empire/etc they've deserted from. As far as they're concerned, elves are still assholes, their (former) dragon parents are terrifying monsters, and the shining knights in armour want them dead. Offhandedly in the second novel one of the character reminisces about the time they got to eat a kender as a sort of treat*. They don't murder and pillage, their new nation is up for trading with people they don't like, and when they needed to take refuge in a monastery while they were hunting for a home they didn't do anything rude to the clergy but they're not at all ashamed about existing and their reasons for not being onboard with evil shitheads is very much 'they want us dead just as much as the 'good guys' rather than 'oh no we have harmed the protagonists :('
Refreshing. And very odd for dragonlance.

*Yes I know we're all agreed that was objectively a good deed, but in-universe, not so much.

The 3e sourcebook Dragons of Krynn goes into further detail on Teyr and Draconians post-war. IMO it did a good job reflecting a realistic assortment of views they had: many draconians even if they didn't become "good people" realized that Takhisis was playing them for fools and the structure of the Dragonarmies meant that they'd never be fully respected. Embarking out on their own, even as deserters and bandits, lets them engage the world on their own terms. And there's also the fact that the Dragonarmies were keeping the female draconian eggs secret to control their numbers.

So it's less about picking sides and more the fact that many draconians never had the opportunity to choose who to fight for. Of course many aren't eager to sign on their fates to the other side just yet.

At least, that's one possible interpretation.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

TL posted:

Looking for a bit of advice for my current character. I play as a Tiefling bard, currently at level 5. Most of my combat utility comes from using things like searing smite or branding smite. That said, they sort of require me to get in close proximity to the enemies, and my low AC and HP frequently put me on my back. I’d like to do something to be a little bit more helpful in combat situations. Any advice for what I might look into trying?

My guy have you heard the good word about Hypnotic Pattern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

TL posted:

I'd say stop focussing on the damage side of things and be as disruptive for your foes and helpful for your allies as you can be. Use your concentration for something other than smite spells, spend your inspiration dice and subclass features and spit out some cantrips the rest of the time. You're a bard, you don't need to outdamage anyone.