Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Is the RG351V a good choice to share with a preschooler?

I'm thinking about getting a retro handheld for long car rides and situations where I just need to distract my daughter for a bit, and I would much rather she played old gameboy games than lovely cell phone shovelware with ads and in app purchases. Being able to turn on Dr Mario or Tetris or Super Mario Land 2 or whatever and just let her enjoy some goodass games from my childhood feels great and it looks like most of the retro handheld options can also support SNES games for when she's old enough to keep up with the reading requirements of RPGs.

It seems like some of the offerings are high-maintenance and involve a lot of tinkering to set up, but the RG351V reviews seem pretty chill. Does this make sense to y'all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

I'm thinking about getting a retro handheld for long car rides and situations where I just need to distract my daughter for a bit, and I would much rather she played old gameboy games than lovely cell phone shovelware with ads and in app purchases. Being able to turn on Dr Mario or Tetris or Super Mario Land 2 or whatever and just let her enjoy some goodass games from my childhood feels great and it looks like most of the retro handheld options can also support SNES games for when she's old enough to keep up with the reading requirements of RPGs.

It seems like some of the offerings are high-maintenance and involve a lot of tinkering to set up, but the RG351V reviews seem pretty chill. Does this make sense to y'all?

Yeah it would be.

You could get the 280v though which might be better for smaller hands. It’s also a bit cheaper.

Or the Miyoo mini that’s $52.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

Get a Powkiddy V90 for your preschooler.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Get a Powkiddy V90 for your preschooler.

The cheap plastic hinge on the v90 seems like it wouldn't last a day with a little kid.

The 280V looks cool though! Better battery life and maybe a more kid friendly form.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

The cheap plastic hinge on the v90 seems like it wouldn't last a day with a little kid.

The 280V looks cool though! Better battery life and maybe a more kid friendly form.

lol it isn't that fragile, and it costs <$40. I'd argue that the clamshell design is actually one of the most rugged options out there. V90 also has the benefit of using replaceable Nokia batteries so you can have extras ready to go while spent ones charge.

Honest question: are you buying this for your kid to use or for you?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The RG280V rules and would be great for a kid

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ugh you’re gonna make me get one. They look so cool and my nostalgia ends at PS1.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Ugh you’re gonna make me get one. They look so cool and my nostalgia ends at PS1.

I’d get the Miyoo Mini honestly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://youtu.be/Kx5W1BNGVU4

Ok I’ve got ask because Russ isn’t the first person I’ve heard say it but why do people call it RetroArc and not RetroArch?

It’s Arch not Ark!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They’re stealing the pronunciation of Archive, which may not be entirely incorrect? :iiam:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok but it’s also like an arch because it’s a bunch of different emulators in one package like an arch!

We need the GiF guy to tell us it’s actually Jiff.

Anyway watching his review of the mini I wonder if he got a busted screen on his review unit because Taki said the screen was great.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I pronounce it like Archangel

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They’re stealing the pronunciation of Archive, which may not be entirely incorrect? :iiam:

Or "architecture"?

But apparently ArchLinux is named for "arch" as in "arch-enemy", so yep, "arch" not "ark".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MarcusSA posted:

Anyway watching his review of the mini I wonder if he got a busted screen on his review unit because Taki said the screen was great.

Or the other way around

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Or "architecture"?

But apparently ArchLinux is named for "arch" as in "arch-enemy", so yep, "arch" not "ark".

Which comes from the Greek ἄρχω meaning “to lead” which is pronounced arko. Topic Locked

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Or the other way around

Yeah taki prob got a better unit. That wouldn’t surprise me.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Which comes from the Greek ἄρχω meaning “to lead” which is pronounced arko. Topic Locked

:getout:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw mine should be here this week and I didn’t pay for the faster shipping and they had just rolled them out. It took about two weeks so with the faster shipping you’ll probably have it in a week I have to imagine.

Did your order ship from China or the US? When I ordered, the option for shipment from the US was disabled, so I assume their only stock is in China currently. But if yours shipped from the US then the times might differ significantly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Annath posted:

Did your order ship from China or the US? When I ordered, the option for shipment from the US was disabled, so I assume their only stock is in China currently. But if yours shipped from the US then the times might differ significantly.

It’s from China.

Shipped on the 7th made it to LAX on the 19th.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Corla Plankun posted:

Whatever you get, be prepared to watch her swipe on the screen for a few seconds and then announce that it is broken

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah mine came in from China too. Still not here, but got to the US on the 19th. Tracking says it’ll be here Thursday, but it’s kinda close already.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 22, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

I’d get the Miyoo Mini honestly.

I dont know that I would because Russ complains about the SNES and GBA performance of the Miyoo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dont know that I would because Russ complains about the SNES and GBA performance of the Miyoo

Well I said that before I watched his video and now I’m kinda regretting my order lol

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
RP2+ PCB cleared customs at LAX on the 19th, hype it'll finally get to USPS :woop:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
This is a very difficult hobby because every time I think I decide on what I want to get next, something else comes out! I really need to just not buy anything for like a year, there are still so many upcoming releases.
On another note, does anyone have any idea if the retroid pocket funtastic colors will be restocked? They’re so cute!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

remigious posted:

This is a very difficult hobby because every time I think I decide on what I want to get next, something else comes out! I really need to just not buy anything for like a year, there are still so many upcoming releases.
On another note, does anyone have any idea if the retroid pocket funtastic colors will be restocked? They’re so cute!

I mean at least you didn't buy a 351 and then just days later the same device went on sale.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

evilmiera posted:

I mean at least you didn't buy a 351 and then just days later the same device went on sale.

The only winning move is not to play.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Why my 280v not play neo Geo? I looked up Adam image GitHub and it says that the files have to be zipped, and they are! Hmm I am too stupid to operate child's toy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Child’s toy that requires hours of janitoring

It’s part of it I guess

I just yesterday moved my 280v over to Adam, so here’s hoping it works

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mugsbaloney posted:

Why my 280v not play neo Geo? I looked up Adam image GitHub and it says that the files have to be zipped, and they are! Hmm I am too stupid to operate child's toy

Got the bios files?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Thinking of grabbing a 351 for Dreamcast emulation after stumbling upon this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RG351/comm...utm_name=iossmf

Anyone here have any success with PSO specifically - and Dreamcast in general - on the 351? Or should I instead be looking at the 552 to handle something like that.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Anyone here have any success with PSO specifically - and Dreamcast in general - on the 351? Or should I instead be looking at the 552 to handle something like that.

I played it a while back on my 351p - it definitely worked back then. But it was more a case of playing it for 10 minutes to trigger the nostalgia (PSO was the first game I played online), then moving onto something else. So I can’t really comment in any depth on the community server side of things.

I’ve since wiped my 351p to switch from arkOS to 351elec, so lost the community server setup. Maybe I’ll jump through the hoops again..

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My 552 shipped this morning! Now we see how long it takes to get to the East Coast from China...

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

bowmore posted:

Got the bios files?

I found some lying around but I'm not sure if they are correct or how to check

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is there anyway to bind a button to fast forward or frame skip on the PSX emulators running on these handhelds?

I've been trying to play through some RPGs that I missed out on and the battle animations are getting to me.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
In RetroArch it's under Settings -> Input -> Hotkeys

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

My RG552 showed up today. Only got to play with it for a little bit, but initial impressions are good.

• Boot time to Linux was super quick. I wanna say maybe about 5 seconds max.
  • Screen is really nice. Doubly so considering its size.
  • The build quality is better than I thought it would be. It’s waaaaay above the plastic Nintendo uses for the Switch Lite, it feels “firm” in a texture sense. The additional weight and the paint finish would make me question if it were actually thin metal if I didn’t already know that it’s plastic.
  • It comes with a USB C power brick, which is nice.
  • It’s not a big deal at all, but the black color is basically the same color as their black metal casing — which ironically is very close to the color Nintendo uses for the Dialga and Palkia Switch Lite.

I’ll toss up pics of the 351M, Switch Lite, and this next to each other later tonight. It’s a really nice device, I don’t think I’ll be returning it like I had planned.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

drat you! Mine is still stuck somewhere here in LA

:argh:

Looking forward to the pictures later though! I’m super jealous.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I'm really waiting for the 'proper' software on the 552. Not being able to reduce the fans in Android and not being able to set hotkeys properly in Linux (I spent half an hour working it out - every time you try and redefine the shortcuts, half of them are forcibly reset by a script that I can't access as it's part of the operating system) is a real pain.

That said I'm still playing it though, the screen is just so excellent. I don't know how deliberate it was on Anbernic's part but the extra 72 or so vertical pixels over a 1080 display pushes so many cores into the next integer multiplier that pretty much everything can be played with perfect integer scaling and tiny, tiny borders. The whole experience is so much snappier than the 351 series too, especially when loading games and fast forwarding cores.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

drat you! Mine is still stuck somewhere here in LA

:argh:

Looking forward to the pictures later though! I’m super jealous.

Weren’t you the first one in the thread to order one lol? That sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Weren’t you the first one in the thread to order one lol? That sucks.

Yeah lol terrible luck!