Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Spazzle posted:

The potatos are being drunken, not eaten.

Bless her well marinated soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ireland's not so high as I might expect, but still a nice amount

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Brawnfire posted:

another symbol of irish decline.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Weembles posted:

That's Luxembourg, which, in open defiance of common sense, is still a country.

Don't debase yourself by acknowledging that alleged entity.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Speaking of:

Luxembourg was "colonized" by Portugal in the 1970s, and something like a quarter to a third of the population today is either Portuguese or first-generation descendants of Portuguese.

Still surprising that Luxembourg somehow eats way less potatoes than the surrounding countries. Belgium really living up to its reputation though. Switzerland surprising too, does everyone else not eat rösti every weekend morning? Looking more closely maybe it's just that the color scale makes it look like a sharper difference than it is since it's not a gradual gradient.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 21, 2021

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Saladman posted:

Still surprising that Luxembourg somehow eats way less potatoes than the surrounding countries.

Comedy answer: they've replaced potatoes with expensive red wine (Luxembourgians are 11th worldwide in alcohol consumption per capita).

Semi-serious aside: if we had a Luxembourgian poster here, they're free to correct me, but ~15y ago I regularly went back and forth to Luxembourg on account of having gamer friends there and I did have some pretty interesting observations:
- Yup, lots of people there from southern European descent (not just Portuguese but also Greek people)
- Luxembourgians have an ambivalent relationship with their neighbouring countries but especially Belgium - it's kind of like France is to Belgians what Belgium is to Luxembourgians
- Like the Swiss, many Luxembourgians speak at least 3 languages and easily switch between all of them
- My anecdotal impression was that they were more open to outsiders speaking German than French (German is my 3rd language, French is my 4th)
- Like Belgian French speakers, Luxembourgians love making fun of the French's gallocentrism
- Kind of like Belgians, it's hard to forge lasting bonds with Luxembourgians, but once you do, your friendship with them is for life
- They love their cars and love driving fast and hard

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Brawnfire posted:

Certain lessons about over-reliance on potatoes were learnt in the 1840s.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

steinrokkan posted:

E: Also how do you eat 500g of potatoes every day without killing yourself

It’s only like a quarter of daily nutritional needs.

People can and do go much heavier on staples.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Well, forced over-reliance.

One thing that might help push Portugal higher in potato consumption among the latins has to be the soups. A lot of regular potato dishes but they eat a lot of lighter soups and most of them seem to be made on a base of pureified potatoes. Although you don’t need alot of potatoes to make a big dose of soup.

Unless other Southern European countries have as strong of a habit too, but Portugal is the only one in intimately familiar with and I grew up partly on potatobased soups as a starter for nearly every meal.

Spain shares a similar soup culture but to what extent idk.

Making it sound like something unique, ofc most countries in Europe have potato soup, just that I’ve seen it eaten most frequently in Portugal among European countries west of the iron curtain. Albeit trending downwards in younger generations maybe.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 22, 2021

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Comedy answer: they've replaced potatoes with expensive red wine (Luxembourgians are 11th worldwide in alcohol consumption per capita).

This might have been part of the comedy answer, but per capita statistics for Luxembourg are in general lousy due to all the frontaliers (daily border crossers), and due to the low taxes on alcohol and fuel and cigarettes + the large amount of transit going through the country. Like, the largest fuel station in Europe is just south of Luxembourg City, the Berchem service station which even has its own Wikipedia entry. I know every time I drove through Luxembourg I'd fill up there since it is or was like 30% cheaper than buying fuel in France or Germany.

The per capita of Luxembourg is the most notable effect of that where, like Ireland and other small countries that are business-friendly, it is skewed way higher than it "really" is in practice. I was surprised at how much lower average wages were in Luxembourg than Switzerland - like 25-30% less - even if the wages there are like 30-50% higher in Luxembourg than in Belgium or France.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That sketch about the Treaty of Westphalia still seems to be shockingly on point about why European borders and nation-states are so bizarre.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
A family member sent me this super cool 19th century high-res topo map of Europe that any map nerd, meaning most of you, presumably will like:

https://maps.arcanum.com/en/map/eur...82874.060771121

The resolution is crazy. Also back on Luxembourg chat: Luxembourg is entirely excised from the map, rather like any modern street-level map of Germany. It kind of looks like those maps of the EU where Switzerland is just a missing blank, but instead here Switzerland is present and Luxembourg is a blank.

I wonder if it was also left out for political reasons? I know Luxembourg City was a restricted military zone for ages, but maybe those restrictions applied to the entire country, i.e. there are fairly few high-res topo maps of Luxembourg from the 1800s? In any case it looks like the map is several different sources mashed together - extremely well.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Count Roland posted:

What sort of ice storms are we talking about here? When I think of an ice storm I think freezing rain that creates a buildup of ice on... things. This tends to bring down powerlines and trees. All the bad ice storms I've been in resulted in at least some loss of power. There's the famous Quebec Ice Storm of 2008 which did incredible damage.

E typo

Not at all that bad of a storm. It wasn't bringing down power poles or whole trees.

You are supposed to trim the branches around the power lines to prevent them from falling on power lines. OG&E just didn't do that for about 20 years so even small regularly ocuring storms are catastrophic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Saladman posted:

A family member sent me this super cool 19th century high-res topo map of Europe that any map nerd, meaning most of you, presumably will like:

The resolution is crazy. Also back on Luxembourg chat: Luxembourg is entirely excised from the map, rather like any modern street-level map of Germany. It kind of looks like those maps of the EU where Switzerland is just a missing blank, but instead here Switzerland is present and Luxembourg is a blank.

I wonder if it was also left out for political reasons? I know Luxembourg City was a restricted military zone for ages, but maybe those restrictions applied to the entire country, i.e. there are fairly few high-res topo maps of Luxembourg from the 1800s? In any case it looks like the map is several different sources mashed together - extremely well.

That's real neat. As for Luxembourg missing, those maps are from different governments (eg. the German map is Karte des Deutschen Reiches from Kartographische Abteilung der Königlichen Preußischen Landesaufnahme). The site apparently doesn't have access to any official Luxembourg map from the 1800s.

The German map is also on Meyers Gazetteer, where you can search place names and see their legal and ecclesiastical affiliation, very useful for genealogy:
https://www.meyersgaz.org

Historisk Atlas has several maps of Denmark dating from 1585 to present time:
https://historiskatlas.dk/

There's also the David Rumsey map collection which has an insane amount of historical maps and related images:
https://www.davidrumsey.com

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

steinrokkan posted:

Thank God they provided the critical Saarland data

E: Also how do you eat 500g of potatoes every day without killing yourself

They eat a regular amount of potatoes most of the time but then 1 day a year everyone must consume their body weight in potatoes by law.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladman posted:

I know enough about maps to know that the blank spaces in Prussia means top secret facilities. Pretty incredible how much space those kind of facilities took up back before modern computing.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Saladman posted:

im rotated south pressburg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I know enough about maps to know that the blank spaces in Prussia means top secret facilities. Pretty incredible how much space those kind of facilities took up back before modern computing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Prettiest map: Austria-Hungary
Ugliest / most boringest map: Prussia

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The blank spaces are secret Skunk Works-like Polish Navy facilities where they used to make screen doors for their submarines.

Also holy poo poo Rome was so small and you can see only ruins around the Coliseum (and I believe walls too). It didn't get any bigger than Imperial Rome. Only in the 1900s it really started growing in area.

Edit: Nice video showing Rome's evolution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7kdwyiaLFo

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Negostrike posted:

The blank spaces are secret Skunk Works-like Polish Navy facilities where they used to make screen doors for their submarines.

Also holy poo poo Rome was so small and you can see only ruins around the Coliseum (and I believe walls too). It didn't get any bigger than Imperial Rome. Only in the 1900s it really started growing in area.

Edit: Nice video showing Rome's evolution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7kdwyiaLFo

Yeah, st. Peter's is literally the edge of the city.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

I was going to ask "why is Australia upside-down?" but then yeah, of course.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Orange Devil posted:

They eat a regular amount of potatoes most of the time but then 1 day a year everyone must consume their body weight in potatoes by law.

The average American consumes a whole potato every 73 seconds

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The average American consumes a whole potato every 73 seconds

Don't be so *muffled scarfling noises* judgmental :colbert:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Hudson Bay getting some pretty interesting tides there.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
My favourite is the clear line on the Aleutians. They must get some horrific currents.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Tides are a total mystery to me because the Baltic Sea is basically a lake and gets none

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

My favourite is the clear line on the Aleutians. They must get some horrific currents.

But the surfing is great

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I like how the Irish Sea is just always an inverse of the waters surrounding the British Isles

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

I like how the Irish Sea is just always an inverse of the waters surrounding the British Isles

New Zealand is fun to watch too.

ArseMan
Jun 7, 2003

Jeg kan ikke snakke norsk, men jeg fortsatt elsker mitt fedreland :norway:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The dark continent: Eurasia

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can't believe they still had no data for Greenland.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can't believe they still had no data for Greenland.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
That’s the first world map I’ve ever seen that actually shows Western Sahara using the line of actual control instead of the theoretical boundaries. Surprising how they went with line of control there but not for like Abkhazia, but they gave Golan to Israël, didn’t recognize Crimea, and looks possibly like TRNC gained some territory. Or maybe just small and I can’t see well.

Has anyone used a color picker to see if French Guiana is France colored, or does it get its own color? It looks like it’s colored separately but kind of hard to tell on a phone.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
French Guiana is the same color as France, both read as 2D3D21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Saladman posted:

and looks possibly like TRNC gained some territory. Or maybe just small and I can’t see well.

Kinda looks that way, like Larnaca got Erdoganed.