Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i did troll7 way earlier than that. like, just after IT HUNGERS iirc

basically if it's got a special reward, i think you want it early. if it's not got a special reward, you only need to do it if you want number of completed challenges to go up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

quote:

Singularity:Endgame
I suppose I misremembered it as being more incremental-y than it is, but it's still kind of adorable to have an ai-achieving sentience story where it just never even considers hurting people in any capacity.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kin posted:

How important/useful are the challenges in sadistic NGU?

I'm at the point where I can idle the first level of the final titan (amalgamation or whatever it's called).

I got the troll challenge that got me better mcguffins but since then I've not touched the others.

The only thing that stands out is the extra accessory slot for finishing the troll challenge but even then would it really add much to where I am?

Every little helps I suppose, but my current aims were to get the basic final titan gear, complete all wishes and hacks (maybe hacks first as my hack hack only has 300 levels until it hits the cap) and then move onto other things.

Same as previous ones. If it's going to take too long, don't do it yet. I have the No NGU, No TM, and Laser Sword still unfinished because they don't give me anything useful and I don't want to build my Adv Training again. The accessory slot might add a bit to your stats, but there's not much completion bonuses and it's mostly just EXP. I haven't done anything but Laser Sword since starting on Amal v1, but ymmv.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm a professional computer toucher but I kind of dig it.

I dunno man, it's just the fun part of coding but not the unfun parts of it. There's no customer stories, no fighting with requirements or poo poo you don't own. Reasonably simple, small list of controls and a concrete goal. I'm also not one of those 'go home and code all night' guys either, it's just kind of nice to gently caress around with.

It absolutely would be a great game to get people up to speed on JS but instead it's just like 'hope you ALREADY KNOW this wonky rear end language'. I bounced off it a few years ago and now I'm at a point where I know just enough js to be dangerous.

Yeah if it was more realistic the prestige would be to redo it all but iso27001 compliant this time

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is 4G planning to fill out the rewards for those challenges?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

no

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
loop odyssey endings: am I missing something? I've blown up the crystals and killed the demon king and gone back to the necromancer afterwards, but I can't get an actual ending and the achievements don't trigger - any hints for actually triggering an ending?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

xiw posted:

loop odyssey endings: am I missing something? I've blown up the crystals and killed the demon king and gone back to the necromancer afterwards, but I can't get an actual ending and the achievements don't trigger - any hints for actually triggering an ending?
did u throw the slug by the mana beam into the fire?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
if you're at amalgamation you will probably auto nuke through troll 7 so might as well

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Cheers for that, I naturally noticed as soon as I posted, like usual.

Good game!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Anyone played a good Cultivation themed idle game? I really enjoyed Amazing Cultivation Simulator because the theme lets them go hog wild with weird mechanics; I'm wondering if there's an idle game that might scratch the same itch

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Whats new? I'm like, 14 months deep into NGU and getting kinda done with it, there are only a few zones left and I can't see anything being a big shake up besides 'wait more weeks to get the stats for the next zone'.

I've already done all the big stuff so maybe just looking for stuff thats new lately.

Or maybe I just go start trimps again for the fourth time.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Xand_Man posted:

Anyone played a good Cultivation themed idle game? I really enjoyed Amazing Cultivation Simulator because the theme lets them go hog wild with weird mechanics; I'm wondering if there's an idle game that might scratch the same itch

I think the https://nagshell.github.io/elemental-inception-incremental/ games would scratch the weird balancing elements thing. But of course it has alchemy as a basis rather than internal alchemy. I would recommend starting with stage one and working your way down.

A more direct example might be idling to rule the gods? Never played that one much.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

habituallyred posted:

I think the https://nagshell.github.io/elemental-inception-incremental/ games would scratch the weird balancing elements thing. But of course it has alchemy as a basis rather than internal alchemy. I would recommend starting with stage one and working your way down.

A more direct example might be idling to rule the gods? Never played that one much.

I actually suggest skipping stages 1 and 2 because they're not terribly interesting, but stage 3 is a wild ride of unlocks and balancing resources. The side stage uses the same structure as 3 but the resources interact much differently.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Oh poo poo that is Alkahistorian. Didn’t recognize the link.

Yeah skip1 and 2, they boring. 3 goes off the rails with interaction between resources and balancing them. Its kinda short but easily one of the most memorable experiences in this genre.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Ineptitude posted:

Oh poo poo that is Alkahistorian. Didn’t recognize the link.

Yeah skip1 and 2, they boring. 3 goes off the rails with interaction between resources and balancing them. Its kinda short but easily one of the most memorable experiences in this genre.

Is there anything out there like Alkahistorian?

People have said Crank before, but it's not really even close

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I really liked the story set up in Alkahistorian 1 and 2 and it's directly continued in 3, too bad halfway through game 3 the story entries just... stopped. The mental descent of an arcane researcher into megalomaniacal power was fun to read, especially as the story unfolding coincided with your in-game actions.

It's true neither of them are all that mechanically interesting though.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Finished NGU, thanks for the ride, 4G!!!

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

A cultivation setting really seems like it would be perfect for an incremental. NGU/ITRTG style multiple improvement systems, very clear lore behind the prestiges, multiple levels of prestige. But the only one I've ever seen that tried was very clearly mobile whale bait of the worst kind. The one other setting I have wanted just as much is something Disgaea themed. Particularly if it went just as nuts as the original games. Let me level up characters, items, stats on the characters and items, characters in the items, stats on the characters in the items. Like Pokeclicker, but Disgaea.

Among other new games, the only one that kind of looked interesting is Grimoire on Android, but that had all the problems of a tap heavy game on Android. It has a system of achievements that unlock bonuses, which I love, but I hate playing incrementals on my phone.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Arbetor posted:

just as much is something Disgaea themed. Particularly if it went just as nuts as the original games. Let me level up characters, items, stats on the characters and items, characters in the items, stats on the characters in the items. Like Pokeclicker, but Disgaea.

They made an idle game to promote DIsgaea 5, unfortunately they used Flash

http://disgaea.us/d5/prinny-research-squad/

The flash game was entertaining for a few days but didn't have enough content and I'm not sure any updates came out, it didn't seem to gain much traction.

There's also a mobile game that has a gacha for units that came out this year. *in English, It was Japanese only for 2 years, I bounced off it pretty hard but mostly because it felt like a decade old mobile game and not something new. Maybe something has changed it launched at the start of the year.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 19, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GrossMurpel posted:

It does seem alright (coding is fun!) but yeah maybe on a long holiday or something rather than something you play in addition to your job.
It's the equivalent of a farmer playing Farming Simulator after work
I resemble that.

Seriously I am starting my holiday time off and I have spent 2 days solid making newbie Bitburner scripts instead of doing important things like incrementally making my balance go up in Farm Sim 22 or making 50% more widgets in Satisfactory.

It's the perfect amount of no pressure, no point, as someone who is a functional computer toucher who can generically read code but has no right touching anything that sees the light of day of other users.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

What is it that actually unlocks new content in idle skilling? Is it like NGU and it's based off adventure zones/bosses or w/e?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is it dumb in NGU just to equip a bunch of Wish gear and power through the last bunch of wishes? I'm down to one page and it would be nice to be done with it

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

DariusLikewise posted:

Is it dumb in NGU just to equip a bunch of Wish gear and power through the last bunch of wishes? I'm down to one page and it would be nice to be done with it

Not at all, A dedicated set of wish gear is one of the better things to make an equipment set of. By the point you're at you definitely want dedicated sets for Wishes/NGU/adventure mode pushing/etc.

Unfortunately, since wish speed is based off of +wish% and E/M/R3 power and cap stats, it's kind of a pain in the rear end to determine what gear is best without using the gear calculator. The calculator chugs when you ask it to solve for best wish speed too because of how difficult it is to solve, so it may seem to freeze for over a minute.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Agent355 posted:

What is it that actually unlocks new content in idle skilling? Is it like NGU and it's based off adventure zones/bosses or w/e?

Yes, each new “Fight” zone you unlock unlocks more content/mechanics.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Aurora posted:

everyone sings the praises of bitburner but making you write actual code is a huge turnoff

I mean, thats the reason I like it more vs other hacking type sim games, it's personal preference.

Like someone mentioned upthread though, the discord community is very good,l. The dev isn't being pretentious, his goal for the game just isn't to teach coding. There's a lot of resources out there for that, and in fact bitburner works very very well aside those things to help reinforce knowledge and give a fun way to apply it.

I'm sure some people are happy copying scripts (and there's nothing wrong with it), it just to me shines in that the optimization problems are very fun and can be solved in a very freeform way.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Alright, thanks.

What about ascending or w/e it's called with the portal. Is there a good frame of reference for when it might be a good time?

I hate when I rebirth only to realize I didn't earn enough currency to meaningfully speed up the next run and should've just kept pushing.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Agent355 posted:

Alright, thanks.

What about ascending or w/e it's called with the portal. Is there a good frame of reference for when it might be a good time?

I hate when I rebirth only to realize I didn't earn enough currency to meaningfully speed up the next run and should've just kept pushing.

I’m definitely not the one to ask for that, I always have super long, exceedingly excessive, unoptimal rebirth lengths. One thing is for sure, though: the various Contracts will require multiple Ascension/Rebirths, and you’ll want to make sure to do enough of them to complete those.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

MikusR posted:

Another new one is https://zakuro98.github.io/EXP-Simulator/ It's simple and imho quite good looking for a pure text based UI. In a couple prestiges you unlock automation and autoclicking.

I started this one last week and have reached the end. Well, nearly. I still have the play 168 hours and complete all achievements left, and that makes me a little unfulfilled because I'm not going to leave it open for 48 more hours to hit that mark. Very enjoyable short-ish game.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Is there anything out there like Alkahistorian?

People have said Crank before, but it's not really even close

Depends how specific you want to be.
There are zero games that are very similar to Alka3 as it is SO unique, but there are several games that are similar in the sense that its not really about gathering 100000000000000000 resources but more about tinkering with various nodes and timers and balancing inputs, and in that sense i would agree Alka3 is similar to Crank.

Rynoto posted:

Been tinkering about with Machinery] a bit, which is pretty new(?) and so far enjoyable. Starts out simple but there's plenty of content hidden away after the resets. Has a very well made UI.

E: There's a version here

This got undeservedly little attention.

I have played so many games in this genre at this point it is kinda surprising to find a game with a new unique mechanic, but this game managed to do that. It is a bit rough around the edges and the developers first idler, and it is pretty that the vocal minority on his discord that enjoys hammering nails through their balls and also playing incrementals that require input like every 15 minutes are driving the direction the game balance is going.

Anyways, its still decent, give it a go!

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 21, 2021

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I have finished NGU Idle entirely, even went back and 69'd a set so I'd have all achievements. Thanks 4g!

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
does machinery ever become not a complete slog? i got the first 2 antimatter and the upgrade and it felt alright again, got another 4 and it increased my multiplier from 20 to 24. did i gently caress myself? is this a bug? with the increasing requirements for more antimatter and how much it had slowed down on the second 4 and the generation mechanic i'm not sure i'm exactly stoked to play a game that a) requires frequent manual clicking with b) a resource cap and c) multiple day runs for severely diminishing returns. like, does this baby speed up or automate at any point?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Nope. Machinery is just constant mindless busywork.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
It has a somewhat interesting concept to it. If it were "the developers first idler", the lack of incredibly basic QOL inclusions, and the incredibly wonky pacing and scaling would be maybe forgivable and worth a shot/keeping an eye on. But this is at least the 4th idler they've put out, and they have 23 others games on their site, none more complex than "2nd year coding student". Their Discord posting on it that I saw only shows they know the mechanical code behind a good idler, but have 0 understanding of idlers conceptually or what makes them good. With the horrible advice they're listening to also, it's not likely to suddenly get good.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Well that does not bode well.

I was initially interested because that mechanic of building up a supply which was the measure for how long a generator would idle was interesting, but after finally getting 5 antimatter and warping i see its just more of the same but slightly faster, but also requiring more attention because the intervals between attention required is also shortened.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It feels very strange that the supply goes up as quickly as it does. After the first warp it was a non-issue to get each power source over 1k units, effectively infinite because the storage capacity is low enough to be measured in minutes (not hours) to fill. The battery seems to be the answer to that, but it isn’t particularly exciting.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I feel like I'm fundamentally missing something in Loop Hero. I've only just started the second world, but it feels like I'm not making a ton of progress. Very rarely I'll get some consistent drops like % vampirism that will make a build sustainable, but more often than not it's a real challenge to even make it to the W1 boss consistently. Is there something I need to be doing outside of making my big mountain, surrounding it with fields, and dropping the occasional monster tile? Is there some optimal layout strat that gives more drops/less varied drops?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Lib and let die posted:

I feel like I'm fundamentally missing something in Loop Hero. I've only just started the second world, but it feels like I'm not making a ton of progress. Very rarely I'll get some consistent drops like % vampirism that will make a build sustainable, but more often than not it's a real challenge to even make it to the W1 boss consistently. Is there something I need to be doing outside of making my big mountain, surrounding it with fields, and dropping the occasional monster tile? Is there some optimal layout strat that gives more drops/less varied drops?

Alright. I'm not a Loop Hero expert, but I have three main points to keep in mind.

1) Get good enemies spawning on the loop as soon as possible, so you can get a variety of gear that's actually good. If you're just placing passive buffs like mountains, you aren't getting strong enough fast enough to handle when harpies start to spawn, or any other forced spawn of threatening monsters.
2) While each act is harder than the previous, the only things that make earlier acts easier is unlocking more stuff in your village (which usually aren't big buffs, but they make things more reliable) and internalizing how much stuff you can cram into one loop without making it too much for your character to handle.
3) Recognize that for most runs (at least, until you're better at this game than I am), you're going to be half way through a run and realize you're not strong enough to beat the boss. At that point, the tension comes from "can I risk getting back to camp before leaving so I bring back more resources, or do I just leave now". Sometimes you try building towards dodge chance and suddenly stop having any evasion gear drop, it happens.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Alright. I'm not a Loop Hero expert, but I have three main points to keep in mind.

1) Get good enemies spawning on the loop as soon as possible, so you can get a variety of gear that's actually good. If you're just placing passive buffs like mountains, you aren't getting strong enough fast enough to handle when harpies start to spawn, or any other forced spawn of threatening monsters.
2) While each act is harder than the previous, the only things that make earlier acts easier is unlocking more stuff in your village (which usually aren't big buffs, but they make things more reliable) and internalizing how much stuff you can cram into one loop without making it too much for your character to handle.
3) Recognize that for most runs (at least, until you're better at this game than I am), you're going to be half way through a run and realize you're not strong enough to beat the boss. At that point, the tension comes from "can I risk getting back to camp before leaving so I bring back more resources, or do I just leave now". Sometimes you try building towards dodge chance and suddenly stop having any evasion gear drop, it happens.

I'm not an expert either, but this 3rd point was a HUGE piece of learning for me. While ending a run early and still being unable to upgrade your village feels bad, at least it moves your meta-progression needle more than if you had died and gotten a fraction of those resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Monster deployment is absolutely key in Loop Hero. I used to place way too many, and struggled as a result. Don't forget that certain tiles (like mountains) will introduce more monsters and that can unbalance your map, too. Place fewer monsters and you'll be able to survive as they level up and drop better loot.