Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Am I the only one holding out hope omicron is real high immune escape but fairly low Rt (similar to wildtype or beta)

It would mean a lot fewer unvaccinated people catching it, helping the hospitals out

Why would you think that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

genericnick posted:

*Points to user name* You're welcome.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Luckily this turned out to be mild

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Isn't like we normalized mass casualty events or anything lol

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

I'm surprised how accurate birxs forecast was in deaths

Amazing reminder though how Gavin newsome completely avoided any blame despite letting 50k Californians die that fall/winter

Because they know what we know, which means this is a genocide

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

why is it whenever i see charts like this…

https://twitter.com/umichmedicine/status/1473091350610464770?s=20

…i cant seem to square it with charts like this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Show yourself.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Show yourself.
A covid thread poster would simply have their cat wear a respirator

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Show yourself.

just fashion a cat carrier out of AC filters, a cat corsi cube

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

mystes posted:

A covid thread poster would simply have their cat wear a respirator

make sure you shave your cat so there is a good seal

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
sending troops to fight osama bin ladencron

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Luxembourg could put together the personnel numbers that Biden is promising.

lmao how the Sleepy Joe crisis plan was saying he would add 1000 soldiers to support a surge that's hitting all 52 states.

also

Serf
May 5, 2011

omicron turning out to be mild is probably worse imo. because the messaging is that its no big deal if your vaccinated we're going to let it run rampant in people, spreading even more and giving it more chances to mutate into something that completely evades the vaccines and goes back to loving you up

ofc this is a stupid thing to say because even if omicron killed 1/3 people it infected we would do nothing

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Plank Walker posted:

just fashion a cat carrier out of AC filters, a cat corsi cube

I'm gonna do this with my goat. I call it a goatsi cube (tm).

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Show yourself.

PAPR + Rubbermaid Tub

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Show yourself.

Use one of those baby gas masks that are just a gas mask pocket.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Serf posted:

omicron turning out to be mild is probably worse imo. because the messaging is that its no big deal if your vaccinated we're going to let it run rampant in people, spreading even more and giving it more chances to mutate into something that completely evades the vaccines and goes back to loving you up

ofc this is a stupid thing to say because even if omicron killed 1/3 people it infected we would do nothing

if omicron were 30% as lethal as delta we're still looking at the hospitals getting blown out and likely a couple million dead

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

genericnick posted:

because we haven't seen the cases spiking as hard outside of well vaccinated cities. could just be a delay in how the cases are spreading around

also, most importantly, it would be really really funny if the unvaccinated were effectively as at risk of contracting and spreading omicron as the vaccinated

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spoondick posted:

if omicron were 30% as lethal as delta we're still looking at the hospitals getting blown out and likely a couple million dead

Yeah the RT > 4x than Delta is a game change and not in a good way.

Delta by itself was 2x as infectious as the wild strain first sequenced in Jan 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Serf posted:

Being slightly milder but making up for that with transmission is bad, but that's probably not worse than it actually not being mild but the media deciding to just lie to everyone and tell them it is.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

if presented with a milder flu season does the government just tell people "gently caress it, don't even worry bro" from here on out or what

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Spoondick posted:

this can’t be true or the president would do something! he says we’re fine so I’m getting some margs at Applebees

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How quickly everyone has forgotten the hamster mask study.

quote:

We used a well-established golden Syrian hamster SARS-CoV-2 model. We placed SARS-CoV-2-challenged index hamsters and naïve hamsters into closed system units each comprising two different cages separated by a polyvinyl chloride air porous partition with unidirectional airflow within the isolator. The effect of a surgical mask partition placed in between the cages was investigated. Besides clinical scoring, hamster specimens were tested for viral load, histopathology, and viral nucleocapsid antigen expression.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7314229/

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

moist turtleneck posted:

Half a billion tests but they don't know how to disperse that to a population smaller than that is lol

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
half a billion? do numbers even go that high?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

lol

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!
Did I read that right yesterday, that all other at home tests are being pulled so that Sleepy Joe's Goodtime Rona Tests will monopolize the market? I can't find the tweet again but that is very hosed up lol

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

A mild mass grave

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

That russian corpse compaction spec, mild as hell

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tenderjerk posted:

Did I read that right yesterday, that all other at home tests are being pulled so that Sleepy Joe's Goodtime Rona Tests will monopolize the market? I can't find the tweet again but that is very hosed up lol

I know most of the EUA tests I've seen being sold in the US at places like CVS and Walgreeens are imported from China.

If Sleepy Joe decides to nuke to other test options it would make the supply issue even worse.

This was one of the better articles I've seen on independent testing comparison(BinaxNOW):
https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/Spectrum.01008-21

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 22, 2021

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
https://twitter.com/BantshireUni/status/1472192658797903881?s=20

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
At this point I'm relatively sure that the people in charge at the white house are buying into the same "but where are the deaths?" bullshit as these twitter doctors and I think that's more frightening to me than just callously deciding to let everyone die.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

This pandemic has taught me that its incredibly easy for governments to just cover up or brush off mass amounts of death and for the most part face no consequences for it.

https://twitter.com/likemike_911/status/1473014963241459721?s=21

I'm not ready for the Tyra variant

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Gio posted:

why is it whenever i see charts like this…

https://twitter.com/umichmedicine/status/1473091350610464770?s=20

…i cant seem to square it with charts like this

i think it's the "99.9% of people haven't died of covid, what's the big deal!" effect because your entire population is either vaccinated or unvaccinated, a majority of them are vaccinated, and covid severely impacts smaller vulnerable populations... the vulnerable populations specifically are usually highly vaccinated so there's more of them to end up in the hospital in smaller numbers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bowser posted:

This pandemic has taught me that its incredibly easy for governments to just cover up or brush off mass amounts of death and for the most part face no consequences for it.

That was pretty much Florida's response especially since the governor is a huge Chud and a majority of the local economy is tourism.

I live in Central Floria and there's no reason for most people to visit if it wasn't for all the local tourist traps like Disney, Seaworld and Universal.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Spoondick posted:

so far the numbers do not seem to bear out lethality that high. but i (do not) look forward to seeing more data in the next few weeks as it crashes into american hogs loaded down with comorbidities

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

bowser posted:

in watching this on mute and they all appear to be saying "IT'S MILD!"

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Am I the only one holding out hope omicron is real high immune escape but fairly low Rt (similar to wildtype or beta)

It would mean a lot fewer unvaccinated people catching it, helping the hospitals out

Ah yes, this is the hopeful thread. For instance, I am hopeful we won't see the rate of Omicron spread double another 5-6 times, which would push us over 1 million cases a day. At the observed two day doubling time, breaking a million cases a day the first week of the new year seems possible (assuming we have testing capacity, which we don't). But I am very hopeful this won't happen and that the doubling time will increase and Omicron will be mild. I'm so hopeful in fact, I think its a great idea we are keeping Xmas and NYE fully on since those are a once in a lifetime chance to make memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

i want to thank my brother in law for just getting covid because it just made it a whole lot less dramatic to tell my family we aren't coming over for christmas