Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

Room Service can't be written off as a tax dodge.

Isn't there some kind of fan theory that Kevin's dad is in the mob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sand Monster posted:

"Could you stay out of this?"

Edit: Peter, looking more serious than anything: "My new fish hooks?"

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

freeedr posted:

Haha, nah but Kevin’s dad spends tens of thousands of dollars on Christmas every year

Not that they aren't clearly wealthy, but Uncle Rob paid for them to visit Paris, and that Florida motel didn't look like it set him back too much
:goonsay:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Sand Monster posted:

This seems pretty far-fetched to me. Home Alone, having fans?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Friend posted:

Not that they aren't clearly wealthy, but Uncle Rob paid for them to visit Paris, and that Florida motel didn't look like it set him back too much
:goonsay:

I was gonna argue with you, but then I realized that I confused Uncle Rob with Uncle Frank, the "cool jerk".

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Kevin's dad obviously works directly for the Sackler family at Purdue Pharmaceutical. But that's none of my business.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
So there's this band Floater, most people haven't heard of but they wrote some cacthy songs with samples from movies.

I can never watch Vertigo without hearing that sample of Kim Novak saying "Only one is a wanderer, two or more are always going somewhere"

Which is a callback to Jimmy Stewart saying he was wandering.

And then the most perfect line "it was only a moment for you, here I was born and here I died"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Oh wow I forgot the entire 3rd reel of Vertigo.

It gets so creepy and weird.

The not very subtle thing is it's Hitchcock talking about psychology.

But instead of being insightful he's a case study.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just can't believe the same family left the same kid twice

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I finally watched Vertigo in 2018 or so and I had no idea what the story was really and this whole section absolutely blew me out of the water and rocketed it into my personal top 10

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Here is a lovely essay about Muppet Christmas Carol that I think fits the theme of the thread

https://www.brightwalldarkroom.com/...hristmas-carol/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I just can't believe the same family left the same kid twice

This post made me :lol: being right after posts about the psychology of Hitchcock.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Flint_Paper posted:

Here is a lovely essay about Muppet Christmas Carol that I think fits the theme of the thread

https://www.brightwalldarkroom.com/...hristmas-carol/

Paywalled hard, got past my antipaywall extension even. But just from the title, they are correct, it's the best Christmas Carol adaptation by far. I think Gonzo as Dickens really sells it - they can bring in a lot of the original language and it helps.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HopperUK posted:

Paywalled hard, got past my antipaywall extension even. But just from the title, they are correct, it's the best Christmas Carol adaptation by far. I think Gonzo as Dickens really sells it - they can bring in a lot of the original language and it helps.

The CGI version with Jim Carrey as Scrooge is very seriously underrated.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

There's a pet theory that everything after he goes insane is a fantasy he's living to get over the guilt of Kim Novak dying.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HopperUK posted:

I somehow managed to bypass the paywall by refreshing the page and then :f5: the [esc] button right when the page finished loading but just before the paywall came down

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's a pet theory that everything after he goes insane is a fantasy he's living to get over the guilt of Kim Novak dying.

So the act of beating the poo poo out of the 2 burglars with homemade booby traps offers him some catharsis?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

HopperUK posted:

That's so weird! I had the "please give me money" pop-up and just dismissed it. They absolutely talk about having Dickens as a character though, and how that reflects the original text.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, having Gonzo as Dickens as the omniscient narrator and Rizzo as the kind of audience surrogate to play off of Dickens was an incredibly smart move as was hiring Paul Williams to do the songs.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I guess I'm crazy because I always feel like Gonzo and Rizzo just break the momentum of the movie every time they show up.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Friend posted:

I guess I'm crazy because I always feel like Gonzo and Rizzo just break the momentum of the movie every time they show up.

I thought so too when I was 8

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Edit: sorry, thought I was in gbs

Jestery has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Dec 20, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Belloq is wearing the priestly breastplate at the end of raiders.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My favorite part of Series 7 is how often the narrator describes the events unfolding incorrectly to create more drama and we're all so used to reality television that we don't even notice it. Like when the guy is holding his kid in one hand and a gun in the other, and you hear "...contestant has exited the car holding a gun to his own child's head..." when that's not what's happening.

That lovely police chase show with SHERRIFF JOHN BRUNELL did this sort of poo poo all the time.

*fugitive swerves to avoid pedestrian*
This methed out MANIAC swerves to hit a pedestrian, missing them by MERE INCHES

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Milo and POTUS posted:

That lovely police chase show with SHERRIFF JOHN BRUNELL did this sort of poo poo all the time.

We're super proud of John Brunell. He did his best work in Bad Santa.

Subtly shot the poo poo out of Billy Bob's liver.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hell yeah, that guy's a lunatic and his insane delivery is real easy to make fun of. My wife and I were watching it like a decade ago and he said something about the suspect escaping in his HON-DUHH and we still say it that way whenever Honda's come up.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

freeedr posted:

Another subtle thing in this film: the burglars are immortal but yet have an unlimited capacity to feel pain.

Haha, nah but Kevin’s dad spends tens of thousands of dollars on Christmas every year, gets a free multi-thousand dollar suite, gets dozens of free Christmas gifts for the family, and then loses his poo poo over a $900 room service bill after finding out his son is not dead or maimed

It's because, for some reason, his entire family hate Kevin and constantly treat him like poo poo, they'll blame him for being bullied, let the rear end in a top hat uncle be lovely to him around everyone all the time, and they only care about when it could effect their lives. Of course the Dad finds something to moan about.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

BooDooBoo posted:

It's because, for some reason, his entire family hate Kevin and constantly treat him like poo poo, they'll blame him for being bullied, let the rear end in a top hat uncle be lovely to him around everyone all the time, and they only care about when it could effect their lives. Of course the Dad finds something to moan about.

Wasn't it Buzz that yelled, since he was the one that answered the door for the bill?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Eldritch BiLast posted:

Wasn't it Buzz that yelled, since he was the one that answered the door for the bill?

He gets the bill, smirks and says "oh daaaaad" and then you hear the dad scream off-screen

For content (not sure if this really counts), Wanda Sykes was supposed to play the manager in Elf, but couldn't for whatever reason so Faizon Love took the role.
His name tag still says Wanda.

Friend has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Dec 22, 2021

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

BooDooBoo posted:

:hmmyes:

Kevin was right all along for sure and I’m glad he pulled some king poo poo just to enjoy his own pizza to himself in the quiet for once

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Friend posted:

He gets the bill, smirks and says "oh daaaaad" and then you hear the dad scream off-screen

For content (not sure if this really counts), Wanda Sykes was supposed to play the manager in Elf, but couldn't for whatever reason so Faizon Love took the role.
His name tag still says Wanda.

Faizon Love has definitely worked jobs with name tags before because you know he saw that Wanda tag sitting there and thought, "poo poo yeah, I'm Wanda today."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

freeedr posted:

:hmmyes:

Kevin was right all along for sure and I’m glad he pulled some king poo poo just to enjoy his own pizza to himself in the quiet for once

I never understood why my dad laughed so much at two scoops of ice cream because kevin wasn't driving

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I never understood why my dad laughed so much at two scoops of ice cream because kevin wasn't driving

I still don't understand the overly hostile attitude that Hector (yes, Tim Curry's character had a name) had towards him. Ok, so you're getting scammed by a 10 year old. Way to handle it properly there, bucko.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still don't understand the overly hostile attitude that Hector (yes, Tim Curry's character had a name) had towards him. Ok, so you're getting scammed by a 10 year old. Way to handle it properly there, bucko.

It was a Trump hotel, so this tracks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

youknowthatoneguy posted:

It was a Trump hotel, so this tracks.

Oh my god, completely forgot about that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't want a modern Home Alone focused on adult Kevin so I can see him do the same trap-based shenanigans. I want to see it so that I can find out Kevin got to move away from his neglectful and borderline-abusive family.

...poo poo, I've always wanted the anti-Christmas movie about someone who learns that they don't have to deal with all the ceremony and visiting family if they don't want to. Maybe that's just about Kevin McAllister.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

I don't want a modern Home Alone focused on adult Kevin so I can see him do the same trap-based shenanigans. I want to see it so that I can find out Kevin got to move away from his neglectful and borderline-abusive family.

...poo poo, I've always wanted the anti-Christmas movie about someone who learns that they don't have to deal with all the ceremony and visiting family if they don't want to. Maybe that's just about Kevin McAllister.

Isnt a modern Home Alone with an adult Kevin basically Saw?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

BooDooBoo posted:

That opening scene (don't remember if it is 1 or 2) always bothered me. Here's little Kevin in the school X-mas Choir and he has a solo in front of everyone. His family, his school friends, and 100 strangers. And there's his idiot, meathead older brother, drumming on his head/teasing him. Kevin, maybe overreacts, but it's either shove the big oaf, or break down crying in the middle of a show. He shoves, the kids fall over, and a tree falls on top of the piano lady. When they get back to the house (which is overstuffed with lovely people), Buzz turns things into a parlor scene, and just dumps it all on Kevin again. And the entire family saw what was going on. They were pointing and laughing at Buzz's antics, they know he started it. But Buzz looks like a loving hero, because he bullied his little brother. What the poo poo? It must be like this all the time at the McAllister house.

Unless Kevin is actually McCauley's character from The Good Son, and somehow the rest of the family is immortal to his constant attempts at murder and they know he's the devil incarnate. Then their treatment makes a little more sense.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps we're supposed to be seeing this from Kevin's perspective as a put upon youngest child? Kind of like how the furnace growls at him; maybe reality isn't what it seems. Because otherwise the parents' behavior makes no sense.

Especially considering the filmmakers were empathetic enough to hire one of their own sons to dress up as Buzz's girlfriend rather than go WOOF at a real teenage girl's picture.

Then again they probably just didn't consider how toxic the family was to Kevin. It wouldn't be the first weird omission in a Christmas movie. Like in the Santa Clause, when original Santa dies what the gently caress happens to HIS Mrs. Claus, who he is contractually obligated to have. Did the elves kill her?

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Dec 22, 2021

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Like in the Santa Clause, when original Santa dies what the gently caress happens to HIS Mrs. Claus, who he is contractually obligated to have. Did the elves kill her?

She was thrown into the sarcophagus with him. I thought this was obvious. Next question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Ah, the Im-ho-ho-ho-tep treatment.