Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Edit: I supposed the presence or absence of significant amounts of spanking could be considered a spoiler.

withak fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Wrong thread, nm.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 22, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Valentin posted:

spawned a meme with a fairly long tail as memes go.

This is of course the only true metric to judge a show's cultural clout

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

This is not the book thread. It even says so in the title. Come on.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Eh, you weren't so bad, but the goon directly referencing which book which characters meet other characters is another thing. I was going to ask them if they confused the threads or if there's another reason this keeps happening, but I took too long trying to find a nice way to phrase it.

On different note, the behind the scenes for the ep.7 opening is really cool. Think fast or get smacked by the camera!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsFgCC-G7PU

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 22, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'd like to equate this as lore comparable to silmarillion facts in a lord of the rings thread

this historical aes sedai posted:

actually spanked three reigning kings and four reigning queens

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

i say swears online posted:

i'd like to equate this as lore comparable to silmarillion facts in a lord of the rings thread

Guy was really weirdly into corporal punishment, wasn't he?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Collateral posted:

yeah, and sub dom things

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Wait, are we talking Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth, or all the other fantasy series written in the last forty years?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Collateral posted:

no kinkshaming

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Grundulum posted:

Wait, are we talking Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth, or all the other fantasy series written in the last forty years?

Sword of Truth did blatantly plagiarize Wheel of Time multiple times, so might as well plagiarize the kink and crank it to 11.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
WoT: ‘You will be birched for your insolence’. ‘She sat down gingerly’. ‘If you behave like a child you will be spanked like a child’.

Sword Of Truth: The leather clad domination mistress beat John Galt with the dildo whip of ultimate agony for months. Her own master had used it to rape her into submission over a period of years, so she knew how painful it was.

Not really in the same ballpark.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Torquemada posted:

WoT: ‘You will be birched for your insolence’. ‘She sat down gingerly’. ‘If you behave like a child you will be spanked like a child’.

Sword Of Truth: The leather clad domination mistress beat John Galt with the dildo whip of ultimate agony for months. Her own master had used it to rape her into submission over a period of years, so she knew how painful it was.

Not really in the same ballpark.

I had to google 'birched', as I'm not a native speaker.

The first Google suggestion was 'birched meaning'. The second was 'birched wheel of time'.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Since most of the spankee's were unwilling would it not be more accurately described as a paraphillia?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is this stuff that's happened in the show yet?

Follow up question: can we just thread ban posters who keep talking about stuff that hasn't happened yet on the show?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm very excited for tomorrow's finale :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm very NOT excited to be at my parents for Christmas where my viewing options will be an awful 12 year old monitor with built in speakers, or my phone :negative:

Or of course wait until I get back home to watch it but that sounds rough too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sab669 posted:

I'm very NOT excited to be at my parents for Christmas where my viewing options will be an awful 12 year old monitor with built in speakers, or my phone :negative:

Or of course wait until I get back home to watch it but that sounds rough too.

Still time to buy your parents an OLED

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Why buy a TV if you can fit yours in the car to bring to the parents’ place? Otherwise, my vote is phone.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'm very excited for tomorrow's finale :)

Hell yeah.

What interests me is, we know Rand is the Dragon, with mega power potential, but at the same time, at this point the end of the saga is a long way away, so how does the story manage his progress towards fulfilment of his abilities. Does he reach or come close to his potential soon, in which case how will the story prevent him from solving most problems via his POWER (political wranglings would play a part here I would assume), or will he follow a more linear progress towards the final season? We've already seen an impressive, albeit uncontrolled display from Nynaeve.

And what is the ceiling of the other Two Rivers protagonists - I assume they must have a lower potential than Rand, but possibly above the existing Aes Sedai; we know Nynaeve wowed even Logain (who required at least two AS to keep him shackled at any one time) with her display, and there was a query from I think Lan to Moiraine about whether Logain's power was equal to Egwene's. So it seems that Mat, Perrin, Egwene and Nynaeve have potential beyond most/all Aes Sedai. And perhaps the wheel has a specific role for them. I have no clue, but it's fun for this non-book-reader to think about. I would hope the finale gives some insight, or clues, or at least speculation fodder, towards this stuff, but regardless I'm in for the long haul for sure (though I'm seriously considering also diving into the books at this point).

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 22, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rand main giveaway for being the chosen one was being the biggest prick of the bunch.

nynaeve for 2nd place for the most smug annoying character but they have to keep her around since she's the
only who can do heals for the party.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Still time to buy your parents an OLED

:hmmyes:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Why buy a TV if you can fit yours in the car to bring to the parents’ place? Otherwise, my vote is phone.

Two dogs, christmas gifts and all my clothes/travel stuffs; definitely no room for a 27" monitor lol.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

etalian posted:

Rand main giveaway for being the chosen one was being the biggest prick of the bunch.

In episode 1, after they see the trollocs coming for them again, Moiraine goes "They're here for the same reason I am. For you." And the camera cuts to a tight in shot of Rand's face. Then she goes on about how it's one of them. But it definitely cuts to Rand's face for a beat.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Course they had to focus on him as a possibility some of the time. If they'd studiously avoided him every single time, then that would have been conspicuous

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Some of the time, yes, but that was like the single first piece of foreshadowing :v: Although it would make sense for it to be him on the first round in the chamber

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Josha is also the prettiest person in the whole cast apart from Pike and Henney, which is its own kind of giveaway.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

While he is supposed to be powerful, he (and the others) are unsophisticated to the point that their powers (gifts?) are not trump cards that they have an "I win" button. It would be a boring story otherwise. Also, everytime Rand uses the power he gets closer to the day he goes insane.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Josha is also the prettiest person in the whole cast apart from Pike and Henney, which is its own kind of giveaway.

I will not stand for this Zoe Robins slander

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The whole cast is crazy hot, tbf

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Collateral posted:

While he is supposed to be powerful, he (and the others) are unsophisticated to the point that their powers (gifts?) are not trump cards that they have an "I win" button. It would be a boring story otherwise.

For sure, and I'm curious as to how quickly (or not) that level of sophistication will change over the course of the story. Obviously I'm not inviting any spoilers, just expressing things which intrigue me.

quote:

Also, everytime Rand uses the power he gets closer to the day he goes insane.

Very good point and a serious consideration - how much is he going to channel and how much will it affect him over the coming 8 (assuming it's that) seasons. Will Rand by the end of the story be the same as the Rand we see at the beginning; how much will the poisoning of the One Power affect him over the course of things and how will he/those who are guiding/helping him try and mitigate that.

Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Open Source Idiom posted:

This isn’t going to happen in the show at all so you can remain calm.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Jordan was a graduate of the Citadel, so unfortunately corporal punishment is something that works its way into the story. It can be as erotic or as unerotic as the reader likes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Valentin posted:

this feels extremely anecdotal, and I don't see any evidence it has any notable amount of cultural reach compared to other shows. certainly less than e.g. invincible, which if nothing else spawned a meme with a fairly long tail as memes go.

Well, it's not, because social media interaction is how Parrot Analytics measure the demand for the show from what I gather. And Wheel of Time has been at or near the top of their streaming only list since it started. It only falls about mid way on the top ten of all US television full stop, but it's only things like Spongebob Squarepants, South Park, Game of Thrones and SNL that rank higher on a regular basis. Here's the charts for the last two weeks they give data for, for instance.

You can get a better look at Parrot Anayytic's data on Wheel of Time on the page for it too. Which breaks it down a bit by country. Someone here can explain it far better than me, though I don't remember who was breaking down the likely viewership off-hand. They appear to understand this way better than me though, either way.

Also, for another minor point of reference: The Eye of the World, the first (production order) book in the series, is number 10 on Amazon's book bestseller list for fiction at the moment, after 6 weeks on the list; so it'd have pushed into the list as the show was preparing to debut. It's place on it has fluctuated a bit over the weeks (it was in the top 5 at some point, I think), but it's mainly there for because of the show's run. It's also number 3 on the "Most Read" list, which goes off the number of Kindle and Audible reads. I know that Nynaeve was treading for a few hours in the the top ten of US twitter trends after episode 4 too. I don't know if the show has had anything else trend, though I wouldn't be surprised if Loial trended in some fashion for a little while.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Loial did trend for a bit after his introduction.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Open Source Idiom posted:

Follow up question: can we just thread ban posters who keep talking about stuff that hasn't happened yet on the show?
Snape kills Dumbledore

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Very good point and a serious consideration - how much is he going to channel and how much will it affect him over the coming 8 (assuming it's that) seasons. Will Rand by the end of the story be the same as the Rand we see at the beginning; how much will the poisoning of the One Power affect him over the course of things and how will he/those who are guiding/helping him try and mitigate that.

WAFO

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

if I was the type of person who would be emotionally scarred by oblique references to things that happened in children's fantasy novels, i would simply not read the internet threads devoted to discussing their adaptation

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Loial did trend for a bit after his introduction.

he should receive a 12 hr probation for giving away a future plot twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

if I was the type of person who would be emotionally scarred by oblique references to things that happened in children's fantasy novels, i would simply not read the internet threads devoted to discussing their adaptation