Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I hate the CT raids so I just don't do ADR. I also just do MSQDR because those suck too. The rewards are meaningless because I play this game for fun and I would rather take 2-3 days longer per job to get them to cap than spend time doing something that sucks.

Edit: Oh also people should probably stop blaming level squish, everything I've been doing in squished ranges has been easier and faster, not harder. Most likely the reason random Nier and Orbonnes have been more difficult is that we have the million "plays for the story" returners hopping into things randomly and they haven't done those difficult raids more than a handful of times. They also don't play enough to get particularly good at their job. Plus everyone is learning to deal with new job mechanics as well.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I have two ideas on how to fix the lota strippers.

The first one being to just completely decouple ilevel from the first raid in every xpac series, so even if you queue naked you can still catch Void Ark / Rab / Copied factory.

The second is to completely decouple the CT raids from ADR and put them in msqdr instead.

Like, I get that some people just want to be able to breeze through lota and not have to critically engage with anything, but I also want to have some level of variety when I run roulette and that variety explicitly gets taken away when all I get is non stop lota by one or two people stripping down who don't want to think. Like, people would be bitching and complaining nonstop if LDR would give you Satasha 95% of the time because people found out some trick to always force it.

Like, at a certain point it becomes "fix ADR stripping and people like cythreal stop queueing" or don't fix it and people like me stop queueing, and I'm basically already at the latter. No matter what someone is unhappy.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 22, 2021

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Harrow posted:

Everyone stop arguing about whether raids are too hard and instead figure out a way to do that thing from the Matrix where they download kung fu into Neo's brain except it's my brain and instead of kung fu it's how to play Black Mage
I think it's hard to actually teach how to play BLM beyond the absolute basics because it's a job that I'd describe as "simple rotation, complex execution" so you really just need to... play and learn it. Like there's no deep secret or obscure mechanics to learn to play BLM effectively it's just about keeping the GCD rolling.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Mordiceius posted:

I hate PVP in MMOs. I find small-group PVP incredibly frustrating. Large-group PVP turns me into a rage beast.

Could I queue for PVP roulette and just do absolutely nothing and still get the rewards? Sure. But I hate PVP, so you know what I do? I never queue at all.

Just because there are a ton of different roulettes available doesn't mean you have to do them or or that you deserve to the rewards of them all.

Do the content you enjoy. Don't do the content you hate.

I'd argue that doing nothing on Frontline is a plain gain over playing badly since you don't feed. I don't like ot much either but it's MSQRR EXP for 15-20 min so I find it worth the mild boringness.

Also MSQ roulette is tje best because you can just watch videos/play switch between burning bosses so it's even less effort than 24 man.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think the easy fix is just to increase rewards for the harder raids. No one tries to force Castrum in MSQ roulette, everyone wants Praetorium. If the harder raids were commensurately more rewarded then the people who strip would have a lot less incentive to do so, since the big reason is why work when you can only sorta pay attention for 15 min and be done with the same rewards.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
Basically every dungeon in LDR is a comparable length. And the notable exceptions (Titan/Ifirt) give less experience to compensate. Its not a complicated solution, its already in the game.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Just gonna laugh at people getting mad at me stripping to exclude nier cause those raids are boring as gently caress

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah, they're extremely cool

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

It's this. Cythereal, Truth Quark, you're both pieces of poo poo.

Like I've never interacted with either of you as far I know, but I'm confident based on your willingness to poo poo up things for other people for such small gain that you loving suck. You both some "piss all over a public toilet seat and not clean it up, dump your cart in the parking bay" motherfuckers.

they are wrong but uh

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

hazardousmouse posted:

Just gonna laugh at people getting mad at me stripping to exclude nier cause those raids are boring as gently caress

L

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

hazardousmouse posted:

Except LotA is the most boring Alliance Raid in the game and you doing this makes it more likely not less?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The trick to enjoying frontlines is to play tank with magical vacuum weapon throw and full swing knockback and just suck enemy players into your team from like 30 yards away.

Sure you can only do it like once every 30 seconds, but it's loving funny every single time. Bonus points if a cliff is involved.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Augus posted:

Labyrinth - Boring
Syrcus - Boring but nice music
WoD - Pretty cool

Void Ark - Boring and ugly
Weeping City - Ozma owns, rest is alright
Dun Scaith - Dope

Rabanastre - Dope
Ridorana - Dope
Orbonne - Super dope

Copied Factory - Boring, Engels fight dragged on even with max ilvl
Puppy Bunkbed - Dope
Tower - Dope

These are my objectively correct opinions

They are correct except I'm fine with copied.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Alxprit posted:

I will say Guildhest Roulette is hype for getting past the 10-15 level hump :)

A friend and I noticed his main job was improbably close to hitting 90 so we did one guildhest and capped it that way.

It was pretty funny

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Draxion posted:

This is the world we could all live in if people just pressed their buttons

I had a Dun Scaith run where there wasnt a single wipe and the entire raid was in awe. But only suffering gave that joy context.........

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

derra posted:

They are correct except I'm fine with copied.

this plus I wish tower didn't have those 2 adds phases with the 2Ps and the elevator, but all the other fights are really fun

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

hazardousmouse posted:

Actually they're hilarious
https://i.imgur.com/oZZGjlp.mp4

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly, I'd be very happy if they found a way to fix ilvl manipulating for ADR, but until they do, I don't feel terribly bad taking advantage of it because odds are I'll get a CT raid anyways, and at that point I'd rather not have a Dun Scaith or Orbonne sprung on me, particularly when I'm leveling a job I'm almost certainly rusty with.

Like, you can say ADR is rewarding regardless, but a 20 minute CT that goes without a wipe vs. a 40-60 minute Orbonne, Rhidonia or Dun Scaith, seems like a really easy choice if they reward the same amount of XP/tomes.

If anything, if you're not manipulating, your still going to be most likely to get non CT raids since you'll be among a smaller pool to be thrown in with first timers.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Ibram Gaunt posted:

MSQDR is the highest XP to time activity in the game tho??

This is now somewhat out of date, but some nerd made "A Quantitative Analysis of EXP Gains in Duty Roulettes" in 5.55

quote:

Trial roulettes, on average, provide 2.32% of your EXP bar per minute.
Leveling roulettes, on average, provide 2.2% of your EXP bar per minute.
Main Story roulettes, on average, provide 1.32% of your EXP bar per minute.
Alliance Raid roulettes, on average, provide 1.25% of your EXP bar per minute.
Normal Raid roulettes, on average, provide 1.02% of your EXP bar per minute.
50/60/70 Dungeon roulettes, on average, provide 0.87% of your EXP bar per minute.

I believe 5678 has had its XP increased in EW, but I'm not sure by exactly how much. For some there is a significant difference between different duties that the post goes into, and with a sample of only 120 roulettes their estimates should statistically be considered mostly okay but a bit eh.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'd argue that doing nothing on Frontline is a plain gain over playing badly since you don't feed. I don't like ot much either but it's MSQRR EXP for 15-20 min so I find it worth the mild boringness.

Also MSQ roulette is tje best because you can just watch videos/play switch between burning bosses so it's even less effort than 24 man.

You'll get kicked if you do literally nothing, which is why people (bots?) auto-run into the enemy team to die. It really isn't just people being bad, they mount up and go directly to the enemy spawn and don't even try to fight back or escape. They just stand there and let themselves die. Crystal Conflict's probably gonna be lousy with this for a while if the battlepass rewards are cool enough.

hazardousmouse posted:

Puppet's Bunker is probably second only to Orbonne in terms of being fun to play, the hell?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

quote:

Trial roulettes, on average, provide 2.32% of your EXP bar per minute.
Leveling roulettes, on average, provide 2.2% of your EXP bar per minute.
Main Story roulettes, on average, provide 1.32% of your EXP bar per minute.
Alliance Raid roulettes, on average, provide 1.25% of your EXP bar per minute.
Normal Raid roulettes, on average, provide 1.02% of your EXP bar per minute.
50/60/70 Dungeon roulettes, on average, provide 0.87% of your EXP bar per minute.

Finally proof of the superiority of Trial Roulette :smuggo:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

Conservative Boomer Mentality.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Finally proof of the superiority of Trial Roulette :smuggo:

I suspect the numbers for that are going to look very different next few weeks.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

tbh I don't care too much about efficiency, I just like doing msq and frontlines and watching Bar Go Up A Lot

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

Puppet's Bunker is probably second only to Orbonne in terms of being fun to play, the hell?

Pupbunk is good, N2 I barely remember I think it just smooshes together with the other, and the grey suck that is N3 is so terribly dull that it drives me away from the series entirely.

Someone suicidally depressed must have designed the background for N3

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

Pupbunk is good, N2 I barely remember I think it just smooshes together with the other, and the grey suck that is N3 is so terribly dull that it drives me away from the series entirely.

Someone suicidally depressed must have designed the background for N3

Puppet's Bunker is N2. Copied Factory is N1.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Yeah, I did not mean to say that the random person on reddit's 120 roulette analysis is the one true gospel on roulette leveling choice. The expected return of TDR is definitely lowered after level 83 for reasons. Also there is value in having a longer uninterrupted experience: TDR may be fast while in there but there's a lot of faffing about in queue and going "oh for gently caress's sake just accept or cancel already" per fight time compared to ADR or LDR.

As a person who likes numbers it is nice to have some numbers, and it's nice to know that the different roulettes are relatively even on xp/time so I can queue what I feel like without any brain worms interfering and telling me I am ~inefficient~.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I mean I don't really mind CT and would like to do the nier raids every now and then but don't really care generally I just want that exp

Lots of really strong feelings about ally roulette itt

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I like playing the game and I like it when the game is more interesting. Buy a calculator if you want to make numbers go up without learning how to play a really easy game.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Even the most boring alliance raid is better than MSQ roulette, I cannot stand those duties.

So I just don't do them!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Badger of Basra posted:

they are wrong but uh

Yeah that poster’s response is… intense for sure (like, I dunno about calling then pieces of poo poo over this), but even in the context of this video game, one has to be “I’m going to game the system and i really don’t care what at minimum 1 and at maximum 23 people want” at least to even be in this position and both of their examples is on that “gently caress the inconvenience it’ll cause, some one will take care of it and it’s not my problem” energy, so I can’t say they are *entirely* off the mark

MechaX fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 22, 2021

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

P-Mack posted:

I like playing the game and I like it when the game is more interesting. Buy a calculator if you want to make numbers go up without learning how to play a really easy game.

lol

This is what I mean. I hate sub-50 content (honestly anything under 80 is pretty boring now) but lol at getting real worked up about it like that one guy cussing out cythereal and whoever

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I skip the alliance roulette because i hate CT so much and it's not worth my time. MSQ is fine because I can spend most of it alt-tabbed without slowing things down.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

BLM is extremely easy to me (as a person who plays the main quest as one) because I hit a button and then I have a leisurely wait until I have to hit another button. Mechanist by comparison is called a very easy class because it doesn't have many buttons but I find it uses much more of my attention because you hit those buttons many more times, much faster.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I finally have a working gaming computer, which means that I was finally able to finish the Shadowbringers role quests! (Spoilers for everything ShB role quest related below and up to the end of 5.3)

I thought the Cyelle reveal & quest chain was really neat. For a lot of it she talked about herself like she was Lysanderoth which was kinda... lol. But overall she came across as someone who regrets being manipulated rather than the pupper master that she advertised herself as. I thought seeing the confrontation between her and the warriors of light (as well as doing a similar confrontation with her yourself) was a pretty good payoff, and I felt rewarded for... well, giving a poo poo about the quests enough to notice her character appear in some of the flashbacks. Knowing that these characters are all from the 1.0 - end of 1.x cinematics makes it all worthwhile, imo. It's pretty rad that random elezan lady from the 1.0 trailer got a backstory and character arc.

If I was going to rate the role quests by preference, I would say my preference would be

1. Giott (duh)
2. Lue-Reeq
3. Cyelle
4. Taynor
5. Granson (not that it was bad, just I liked the other ones a bit better.)

5.X content involving Cyelle was pretty great; her scene at the inn I thought was very fitting considering everything Elidibus pulled. The follow-up quest chain, though, was fantastic. It really made doing these quests worth it to see that sort of epilogue between the bounty hunters and Cyelle coming to terms with her past. I guess now I need to go back and do the Warring Triad quests i've been slacking on if I want to see anything more with this stuff.

Overall, Shadowbringers really kills it with its ending and epilogue. If other games would even try to do what Shadowbringers did with these quests (and, well, everything else with 5.3) I'd stick around to finish a lot more games.

Hopefully I'll be able to move onto Endwalker and play some of that MSQ with my wife this weekend :D

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I also find myself having to pay way more attention to cooldowns as a machinist, to make sure I don't miss the next drill or whatever. Maybe it's just a muscle memory thing but I spend all my time staring at my bars instead of the boss. Compared to BLM where I just count to 3.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

I believe 5678 has had its XP increased in EW, but I'm not sure by exactly how much. For some there is a significant difference between different duties that the post goes into, and with a sample of only 120 roulettes their estimates should statistically be considered mostly okay but a bit eh.

It has, at least in the 80s it gave roughly half the bonus of a leveling roulette. Which isn't rockstar but it was nice once or twice when I just needed a small bump in EXP and wanted to save the beefier roulettes for later. However the EXP doesn't seem to tier until x1 rather than x0 levels, I got crap EXP for 5678 at level 80 and much more at 82. Don't know how the scaling works <80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My least favorites from each roulette-

50/60/70/80 - Tam-Tara (Hard). Opening all the coffins sucks. Getting stunned by them sucks. Having adds no one is supposed to kill sucks. Incredibly uncommon to get though.

Leveling - Bardam's Meddle. Awkward moving enemies and pulls, the windburn on those birds is deceptively nasty, and the second boss is fun exactly one half of one time. A limit break used at 1% boss hp is dumb and you get to see that almost every time at the final boss due to the phase change.

Trials - Chrysalis. Long. Deceptively dangerous to even synced players with Triple Spark. Lots of downtime just moving around collecting orbs, or chasing him from one end to the other. The idea that you need to run from the portal or else your bleed debuff will get multiplied by a billion is not intuitive, although it doesn't matter much these days. Not high enough level to have cool buttons. Runner-up would be Steps.

Main Scenario - Castrum Meridianum. Every time Gaius is not on screen everyone should be asking 'Where's Gaius?'. Also no one ever stuns the colossus boss to cancel invulnerability and it makes me sad. If I'm going to waste time in this category I might as well get the longer/more rewarding one.

Guildhest - The one where you have to kill all the things at the same time I guess.

Alliance Raids - LotA. Done to death. So much walking. We just don't have the technology if someone pulls Atomos early to put people in their lanes sorry enjoy wiping. No, when that boss just keeps saying INVULNERABLE over and over that means you're not doing anything. No, standing behind the meteor is not optional. No, standing on the platforms is not optional.

Normal Raid - Eyes of the Creator. Big damage spikes, absolutely mandatory mechanics that requires basically everybody to be on the same page.

Frontline - The Fields of Glory (Shatter). It feels like so much more bullshit on this map when a tomelith spawns nowhere near you than it does on other maps. I cannot describe why I feel this way. Maybe something with the verticality of the whole area.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 22, 2021