Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

14 min in and I'm hooked. Henwick/Bugs is just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm seeing it tonight, but worse than matrix 3 is kind of a downer

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
definitely better than 2 and 3 by quite a bit, still miles below the original natch

great special effects, the trailer made them look kinda shoddy but they worked overall in the movie
editing in most of the action scenes was surprisingly poor. it was too easy to see takes that were completely different from one another
the comedy and meta stuff was actually p. deece, standouts here were the jefferson airplane montage and the merovingian being a great character for once in this series
lana wachowski is way too loving enamored with agent smith. it was already dumb to bring him back in the second and third movie, and its even dumber now. that actor is good, just have him be a new villain.
speaking of, the analyst is cool as hell
io >>>>> zion, and also the cool machines on the good side are a neat addition as well
way more overt references to reloaded and revolutions than i expected, considering both how bad those movies were and also how horrible some story developments it had, i thought they were just gonna mostly be ignored, but they went above and beyond referencing them. niobe and tali of all ppl. w/e. guess its for the fans of the whole series.
just like reloaded and revolutions, the finale felt pretty underwhelming. its the weakest part of the movie by far imo, even if it isnt bad

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm seeing it tonight, but worse than matrix 3 is kind of a downer

Why, Revolutions is a good romp.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

teagone posted:

a good romp through hell. poo poo movie. same as reloaded.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

teagone posted:

I wanted neo and trinity to not die and for neo to use more of his power outside in the real world. That and the dbz fighting with Smith was too depressing

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Fucker posted:

Reloaded is based as hell

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This was a struggle to get through. Sometimes you need to leave the memories implanted into your goo bag alone.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fucker posted:

How long has been since you've seen both films? On a revisit I found them so refreshing compared to the last decade of blockbuster cape poo poo.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It took me too long to realize Bugs was a play on Bugs Bunny, even has a carrot on her shirt.

I really liked the final shot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Noob Saibot posted:

The first movie makes it seem like [Morpheus is] the leader of the human resistance especially the way his crew talks about him. In the sequel none of the council believes his nonsense about “the one” and most of the poo poo he said in the first film. He has no authority with the council or Zion leadership.at best he’ like an Andrew yang,

Just wanted to lol at this quoted post now that the movie is out.

Azubah posted:

It took me too long to realize Bugs was a play on Bugs Bunny, even has a carrot on her shirt.

I really liked the final shot.

Bugs has a line of dialogue where she references Bugs Bunny lol. Really love just how self-aware/referential this movie was.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

teagone posted:

How long has been since you've seen both films? On a revisit I found them so refreshing compared to the last decade of blockbuster cape poo poo.

literally two days ago and yesterday respectively lol
i dont watch capeshit, tho

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fucker posted:

literally two days ago and yesterday respectively lol
i dont watch capeshit, tho

Ahh ok, fair enough lol. But yeah, if your brain hasn't been wracked by over a decade of cape poo poo I could see the experience being vastly different lmao.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Bodyholes posted:

I already feel like The Last Jedi was the "Matrix Revolutions" of the Star Wars films. The sort of movie that has some good things in it here and there--enough for a certain type of person to pretend to themselves it was good. Overall though it was a very dissatisfying waste of assets in the franchise that can never be used again because of it, and ultimately gave unsatisfactory answers (or no answers) compared to the more interesting fan theories that preceded it.

Oh no! Not waste of franchise assets!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cinemas are closed with new restrictions starting tomorrow (no theaters near me until I go into the city next week) and theres no legit streaming option in Canada. Guess I'm going rogue for this one

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Give that a solid B+. I like what they did with most of the ideas and meta nature of everything. Smith is a bit underbaked, if Weaving is not back, I think they should have maybe explained him a bit more. There's obviously something more going on there, but it would be nice if could have heard why.

The fights and choreography were fine, but it lacked a certain flair found in the originals. I also got the sense the covid restrictions made it a bit more difficult when they had to stop filming and come back later.

My favorite aspect was the natural extension of the machine/human fight after 60 years and the why behind the state of the world and Matrix. If the Matrix is still going to exist and the cease fire not be in place, having the machine side devolve into civil war, with factions aligning with humans is a great idea. Also amused by the re-created strawberry. Wondered if Neo would voice if it tastes like the real thing or if tastes how a machine modeled its original on in the Matrix, since the real strawberry 2.0 is modeled after the machine taste code for it. Essentially the food conversation from the first movie now taken out to a second level. i.e. "I wonder if this is even how it originally tasted?"

My biggest nitpick was that I don't think any of the human crew ever died? That's not bad, just an interesting choice. That was pretty much a staple of the originals. Maybe this was done to help establish that the humans themselves are more capable in the new Matrix 7.0(?).

My biggest fear going in after the trailers was that they would play out the "This is just an insane person thinking they're Neo" idea and not have it be a straight up sequel. Thankfully it's a straight up sequel, just with a huge helping of metaness. Which, as a world based around a fictional construct controlling everyone, works great.

Also surprised we didn't really get any blatant commentary on the co-opting of the red/blue pill ideology in real life, since that was ripe for meta commentary.

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 22, 2021

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Teek posted:

My biggest nitpick was that I don't think any of the human crew ever died?

one of the many reasons why im convinced that, despite them saying otherwise, this is meant to be the first of a new trilogy. their deaths come later

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The cover song of RATM's "Wake Up" at the end was the drizzling shits.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I watched it, I thought it was very good and the critics are wrong. It’s not as groundbreaking as the first one, but it’s still very good and I think there’s enough substance there that it will merit deeper consideration on the rewatch. Not unlike 2 and 3, really, but to my mind it’s better than those were.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jiro posted:

The cover song of RATM's "Wake Up" at the end was the drizzling shits.
"Drizzling piss" when you find out who performed it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

This fat guy character is abysmal.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Absolutely loved it. Wow, didn't expect it to be so good, it was everything I wanted from a sequel no one wanted or expected.

I wish Trinity could have been more of a character, she says very little for a co-lead, but I guess this is Neo's story right up to the end, also the Merovingian fight felt a bit too long and somewhat unnecessary. But other than that, I'm incredibly happy with where it went. I feel the first half was better than the second, but mostly because it was more meta.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Okay movie, but I expected something better. Also funny that they went from "humans are batteries" to "you two are SUPER batteries".

Also for a while I was really hoping they would go all in on the idea that it was all in Keanu's head and have the movie be a battle with psychosis instead, completely retconning the trilogy. But they needed it to be an action movie.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

"Drizzling piss" when you find out who performed it.

...r kelly?

e. Nope some other musician pisser

Bullet Proof fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 22, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Doing a Matrix rewatch before I watch Resurrections and LOL Cornel West.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Just finished it and the one thing I notice is the fights seems less "heavy" is maybe the word? In the first 3 you got the impression that every swing could take a persons head off, or bust through a wall. In this one it just looked like a fight between two people and it looked very slow. Other than that it was a good watch.

Few thoughts though:

So both Neo and Trinity have total power in the matrix now? At the very end they were both reshaping it at will.

There seems to be less at stake. They don't need phones anymore, the agents were a non issue, the "swarm" was fought off even thought it was 100 to 1. Even in the real world they can apparently broadcast into the matrix anytime. It never seemed like even the normal humans were in any trouble.

Agent Smith was the biggest low point for me. Groff just did not have the screen presence as a bad guy that Weaving did. Maybe I have seen the making of frozen to many times, but I was waiting for him to break out in song more than I thought he was a threat to Neo. Maybe Hugo Weaving just played Smith so well. Whenever he was on screen there was a real sense that Neo was in trouble.

Overall I really liked it. Hopefully this is a launch of a new trilogy.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I can't even say why the Matrix code title reveal and how it paused a perfect number of beats before coming to RESURRECTIONS made me laugh so hard, or articulate why I found it so cheesy. But I did.

I have a real fear that genuine criticism of how bad this movie was (and it was bad, it was really bad) is going to get wrapped up in shitheart incel whining about the politics of it, a la the female Ghostbusters reboot. I already saw eyerolling from the use of the word "triggered" in the trailer, and now that I've seen them movie there's plenty of things in there for the assholes to make rant videos about from behind the wheels of their pickup trucks.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
I found this one a lot more enjoyable and watchable than the sanctimonous psuedointellectualism of the first Matrix movie.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Shakespearean Beef posted:

I found this one a lot more enjoyable and watchable than the sanctimonous psuedointellectualism of the first Matrix movie.

mods?

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

GD_American posted:

I have a real fear that genuine criticism of how bad this movie was (and it was bad, it was really bad) is going to get wrapped up in shitheart incel whining about the politics of it, a la the female Ghostbusters reboot. I already saw eyerolling from the use of the word "triggered" in the trailer, and now that I've seen them movie there's plenty of things in there for the assholes to make rant videos about from behind the wheels of their pickup trucks.

its ok bc this movie is good and way better than reloaded and revolutions, so only incels will say otherwise :troll:

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
I'm sorry but "Middle aged man loves lady so much that they pull an oceans 11 heist to get her back" is a lot better than Matrix 1's fart-huffing over a completely erroneous reading of Baudrillard.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I don't understand why the random frames of the first movies were so prevalent. They weren't even presented as flashbacks the characters were having at that time. Some of them had no connection to the story occurring on screen. It wasn't much higher than Fight Club-level "lol we just put a frame in of Brad Pitt standing there" choices.

It got bad enough I started to seriously wonder if it was to pad runtime.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

I'm sorry but "Middle aged man loves lady so much that they pull an oceans 11 heist to get her back" is a lot better than Matrix 1's fart-huffing over a completely erroneous reading of Baudrillard.

muh baudrillard lol

its not an erroneous reading if its an interpretation that makes for an excellent movie. when theres a proper baudrilard reading that results in a movie even a fifth as good as the original matrix, then we can talk.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Fucker posted:

its not an erroneous reading

It is.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I’m gonna see this in the theater tonight because it’s the MATRIX and I’m an idiot, but I’m guessing this should have been a 4 part HBO mini series or something from the cheapness of the trailers.

What was the budget on this one anyway?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ok, it was a movie alright.

Leaned a bit much into clip show territory.

Wouldn't be SA without any stupid hot takes.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It looks good. Watched it on TV, didn’t notice any problems, my mind knows at some level they can’t do some of that stuff but it looked as good as it’s going to look.

From a larger perspective, my question is like, what’s the heroes’ journey here? Where did each character start and where did they end, and was that worth 2 1/2 hours on my time?

There felt like they were way too many side plots that didn’t go very far except explaining “ do you like world building an exposition right? Here they are.”

NPH is great.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Felt like a solid script let down by production issues. The sloppy editing is definitely noticeable and it feels like a bunch of stuff was either whittled out or never filmed.

Still enjoyed it a lot though, I want more.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Still enjoyed it a lot though, I want more.

It feels just like the original matrix in that sense. Very self-contained movie but they could go anywhere if they want to make sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

i'm sorry but matrix 1 is about "trans rights, gently caress you" more than anything else and by that metric it owns