Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

they are wrong but uh

I feel like I was pretty measured. It's not some huge moral failing but they genuinely kind of suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Eimi posted:

I think the easy fix is just to increase rewards for the harder raids. No one tries to force Castrum in MSQ roulette, everyone wants Praetorium.

I mean I think this probably is because they have the same ilevel requirement. I get what you're saying (and disagree, honestly, because if higher content had more rewards I think you'd likely see the same people just figuring out how to afk through higher content), but I don't think it's even possible to force CM over Praet.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Bardam’s is usually fine for me in roulette unless I’m healer. If I’m on healer, I always have the luck of getting the tank who wants to pull enemies up to the boss door yet they’re armed in a dinner cloth and butter knife and never uses any cooldown ever

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Saint Freak posted:

Leveling - Bardam's Meddle. Awkward moving enemies and pulls, the windburn on those birds is deceptively nasty, and the second boss is fun exactly one half of one time. A limit break used at 1% boss hp is dumb and you get to see that almost every time at the final boss due to the phase change.

You can actually skip the add phase now! The level squish made all the 4-man bosses faster, so if everyone is on the ball you just kill it before it even has a chance to summon the adds, it's great. That said, this one is annoying for the pulls and second boss. It's the only other dungeon besides Aurum Vale where I often see wipes on the first pull, some tanks are just too greedy and also refuse to press their mitigation buttons.

e: Actually, that's not true, I've also had wipes on the first pull in Doma Castle, for some reason. Just on undergeared tanks, I guess.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 22, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I got Pharos Sirus in 5/6/7/8 a few days ago and I really kind of hate that place. Every fight was confusing mechanics noone remembered. Why the hell is that bird such an rear end in a top hat.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

BLM is extremely easy to me (as a person who plays the main quest as one) because I hit a button and then I have a leisurely wait until I have to hit another button. Mechanist by comparison is called a very easy class because it doesn't have many buttons but I find it uses much more of my attention because you hit those buttons many more times, much faster.

someone did an FFLogs review once and I think BLM was the job with the lowest APM

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Ooh, fun!

Worsts:
Leveling: 1000 maws of toto-rak. So boring.
5678: copperbell hard. too many mechanics that nobody remembers.
trials: steps of faith. Extremely boring, you can still wipe here too if your DPS isn't great and people mess up the dragonkillers.
MSQ: Castrum. Done it a billion times and the cannon boss is awful.
guildhests: the one where you have to kill all the enemies at the same time is maybe the worst instanced content in the game
alliance raids: LotA. Awful bosses, awful boring dungeon design, done it a billion times, people always try to skip an ancient flare on the last boss and fail making it take even longer.
normal raids: eyes of the creator. Hope you feel like explaining or everyone remembers what to do!

troofs fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 22, 2021

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
https://medium.com/@Lakiraki/ways-that-final-fantasy-14s-secret-white-supremacist-messages-are-indoctrinating-young-people-5bf26411d6e1

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Why are you posting some badly-written and poorly-thought-out hot take from two years ago from some random person?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm not sure if it's bad satire or just an idiot.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arist posted:

Why are you posting some badly-written and poorly-thought-out hot take from two years ago from some random person?

I'm assuming it's because laughing at bad takes is fun.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Theyre right and maybe if FF14 was more responsible with its messaging, we wouldnt have reelected Trump

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Italics is my mechanical favorite of the alliance raid sets. CT and void ark are boring and Nier relies too heavily on weird indicators and also takes way too loving long

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'd love to join in on the worst lists but I don't do Guildhest or 5/6/7/8 roulettes enough to properly judge them, so I'll just take this time to complain about Copperbell Mines again.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Arist posted:

because I agree with every word and also I'm the author

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

tbh i thought that link was going to relate to the "shipping your WoL with emet-selch is a tradwife pipeline" discourse I saw alluded to on twitter the last few days, very disappointed it wasn't.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Valentin posted:

tbh i thought that link was going to relate to the "shipping your WoL with emet-selch is a tradwife pipeline" discourse I saw alluded to on twitter the last few days, very disappointed it wasn't.

:psyduck: I almost wish it was because that's some pure strain crazy. Any good Persephone shipper knows the dynamic is Emet constantly having a headache from having to deal with Azem's poo poo which is the furthest thing from a tradwife imaginable lmao

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Hey, so, just gonna AsAJew this one:

"The Ascians are Jews" is some absolute fuckin' nonsense. The closest one can say is that the longing of the Ascians for their Unsundered World renewed resonates - but very much is NOT THE SAME AS, and is explicitly their most sympathetic quality - tragically with any disapora people's historical reckoning with their lost homeland. A sympathetic quality in common is just...a sympathetic quality in common.

Goblins, with their wandering diasporic existence, social ostracism, ingenuity and focus on intellectualism, are closer to a positive resonance with the Jewish experience.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Comes off as a troll article made to be used as ragebait for channers tbh.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Eimi posted:

:psyduck: I almost wish it was because that's some pure strain crazy. Any good Persephone shipper knows the dynamic is Emet constantly having a headache from having to deal with Azem's poo poo which is the furthest thing from a tradwife imaginable lmao

Also if anything Hythlodaeus is the malewife in the situation for both the incredibly grumpy tsundere Emet-Selch and the heroic adventurer Azem. The calming presence that supports them both and encourages them to be better people and listens to their pain and frustration with undying devotion.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://medium.com/@drewkaufman/anyone-can-write-anything-on-medium-com-so-please-consider-my-opinion-60f33d017476

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

My pick for worst frontline is Borderland Ruins because my experience with it is having my tram walk back and forth between two control points, capturing each one uncontested each time, then repeating endlessly

They don't hold points, they just capture and leave, at which point one guy walks over to flip it back

Occasionally you get a fight in no man's land but otherwise it's just a holding pattern until the middle lights up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my political hot take is that garlemald isnt a metaphor for nazi germany but a metaphor for modern day israel. scared?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Endorph posted:

my political hot take is that garlemald isnt a metaphor for nazi germany but a metaphor for modern day israel. scared?

Well. That sure is an opinion somebody has!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Endorph posted:

That should not be a hot take because it matches much much better and I said as much in the other thread :colbert:

The Garleans are a legitimately victimized ethnic group driven from their ancestral homeland of goddamn near a thousand years ago who have internalized a might makes right mentality and believe they can only defend themselves from the same victimization via aggressive imperialism.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Locus Amogus

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also if anything Hythlodaeus is the malewife in the situation for both the incredibly grumpy tsundere Emet-Selch and the heroic adventurer Azem. The calming presence that supports them both and encourages them to be better people and listens to their pain and frustration with undying devotion.

yea if anyone in that throuple is staying at home baking cookies and tending to everyone's emotional needs it's Hythlo, Azem's out trying to punch compassion into people and Emet's trying to explain that responding to some evil warlord's monologue with 'bruh' isn't becoming of an ancient one.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

That should not be a hot take because it matches much much better and I said as much in the other thread :colbert:

The Garleans are a legitimately victimized ethnic group driven from their ancestral homeland of goddamn near a thousand years ago who have internalized a might makes right mentality and believe they can only defend themselves from the same victimization via aggressive imperialism.

Yeah no.

Even just in sheer scope of atrocities, no. Garlemald's position as a world-spanning empire of vast atrocities and unstoppable military expansion up until it was destroyed from within makes it a grotesquely bad fit for the analogy of Israel even if we discount recent Jewish history. Oh and let's not talk about "the manifestation of a timeless conspiracy of evil wizard ghosts."

It's Britain. It's extremely Britain.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 22, 2021

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

cheetah7071 posted:

Italics is my mechanical favorite of the alliance raid sets.

loving Italics as an autocorrupt name

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

Yeah no.

Even just in sheer scope of atrocities, no. Garlemald's position as a world-spanning empire of vast atrocities makes it a grotesquely bad fit for the analogy of Israel even if we discount recent Jewish history.

It's Britain. It's extremely Britain.

wait, but Garlemald isn't the country full of annoying aristocrats who have zero good cuisine and take the world's cultural treasures for their own.

it's all britain, all the way down...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Also they're against all their neighbors having primals but are a rogue primal haver themselves?!

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Valentin posted:

wait, but Garlemald isn't the country full of annoying aristocrats who have zero good cuisine and take the world's cultural treasures for their own.

it's all britain, all the way down...

Sharlayan is one Britain! Garlemald is another Britain!

(I think it'd probably be "Sharlayan is Britain as it saw itself in the Victorian era - Sharlayan is extremely Victorian intelligentsia and Gospel of Rational Enlightenment - and Garlemald is Britain as it behaved towards its colonies.")

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 22, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Garlemald is Rome? Like they even use Latin.

(the correct answer of course is that Garlemald takes bits of several empires and combines them to form an extremely Empire-y empire.)

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Hellioning posted:

(the correct answer of course is that Garlemald takes bits of several empires and combines them to form an extremely Empire-y empire.)

This is also true! But...yeah, the Israel thing is loving absurd. Israel isn't even an empire, let alone a world-spanning military power - it's a particular state whose dominant political parties are relatively expansionist within its highly restricted sphere and mostly continues to be allowed to do because almost every other regional and national power currently considers them more useful than the subjugated occupied peoples within conquered territories. To say Garlemald is an Israel analogy is genuinely offensive even before we hit the parts where Garlemald's atrocities are grotesquely bad fits for Israel's atrocities or the part where Garlemald is in-universe the product of a secretive conspiracy of evil bodysnatcher wizard ghosts manipulating history to their own ends.

Just, goddamn, that's offensive.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 22, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hellioning posted:

No I'm pretty confident we can map this fictional fantasy empire one-to-one onto an IRL nation

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it's almost like the circumstances of the nations of Etheirys don't map one-to-one in all ways with any specific real-world nation, by design

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

multijoe posted:

No I'm pretty confident we can map this fictional fantasy empire one-to-one onto an IRL nation

Yep. They're Canada.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
gently caress im too slow

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Pwnstar posted:

BLM is extremely easy to me (as a person who plays the main quest as one) because I hit a button and then I have a leisurely wait until I have to hit another button. Mechanist by comparison is called a very easy class because it doesn't have many buttons but I find it uses much more of my attention because you hit those buttons many more times, much faster.
It's funny you bring up MCH because these 2 jobs are the ones I play the most (MCH primary, BLM secondary) and I'd describe both of them as simple classes that lean heavily into proper execution, which is probably why I ended up gravitating to both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

it's almost like the circumstances of the nations of Etheirys don't map one-to-one in all ways with any specific real-world nation, by design

Obviously, I just found that conflation really offensive.