Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Phrosphor posted:

I really appreciate your write-ups and redesigns, I know my stuff lacks a lot of finesse (especially my flag) and it's cool to see each design pushed to the next level.

Thank you. I wouldn't call it "finesse", mine is more meticulous grognard stats-whoring while making an attempt at staying visually satisfying at the request of the customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I tried out this "always stay below" ships and they were great even with my embarrassingly bad flying skills. Then I got an embarrassing amount of critical hits against me from parked ships and defence cars. How do you deal with that?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VictualSquid posted:

I tried out this "always stay below" ships and they were great even with my embarrassingly bad flying skills. Then I got an embarrassing amount of critical hits against me from parked ships and defence cars. How do you deal with that?

Parked defense cars are basically area denial for ground huggers. Thankfully you don't need to pop them to win combat.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bootcha posted:

Okay... Starting off with the Flagship...

The Bapheus:

We're shaving off 2 T-7's, about 30k in costs, 225 km of ELINT, and adding 18 kph and 700 km range. Also, we're centralizing our token AA/AM defense: 2 57s for reaching further out, and 2 37s for danger close. Finally, we're going to brace the landing legs with something more substantial. 12 T-7s are enough for any one time shock'n'awe operation.

Support Carrier/Tanker: The Kayseri

Here, we're replacing a T-7 with a LA-29: Pairs are easier to mentally recall. 14 T-7's and 4 LA-29s for the whole fleet are going to blot out the sun. We've yanked a 37mm, but we've added 2 more Sprints, so this carrier/tanker can reasonably survive 4 cruise missile attacks. Our speed is above 310 kph, so with the lower burn rate it should extend the flagship's range about 500 km. Yeah, the tanks are kinda off in terms of mirrored symmetry, but think of it as a byproduct of asking a tanker to also be a carrier the complement of a Wasp AND reach speeds above 310 kph. We're at the ragged edge of functionality and design.

Missile/Tanker Platform: The Trabzon

We're not as fast as the Missile/Tanker prototype (losing 25 kph), but we're breaking the 5k km threshold and tacking on another A-100 for the target of 6 cruise missiles. We're also adding in IRST functionality to better keep an eye on incoming attacks.

Fast Missile Platform: The Sinop

IF the 500 kph and 5000 km range is still a priority, then we need to make some compromises. First up, it's only carrying 4 cruise missiles. Second, it's wholly reliant on the Sprints for AA/AM defense. We've literally hit the ceiling here. As a consolation, it's much cheaper.

The cost of these three proposals are 165,285 using the Trabzon, and 153,565 with the Sinop. These are an overall savings against the prototype fleet (172,827) of 7,542 and 19,262 respectively. We can add those savings to bolstering the Brawlers in capability and endurance.

For the Brawlers, considering the tight squeeze budget squeeze we're in, we can't make 2 ships that are going to roll over Strike Groups by singular lonesome. We need to specialize, again.

I present Loch, Stok, And Bahral:

Loch is heavily armored for its weight, and is intended as a light-to-medium-target air superiority ship. Two palash's at the bottom will protect against bad luck in repositioning. Nearly 200 seconds of flight time will give you enough opportunity to swat little targets out of the sky, in order to retreat and (if necessary) bring in the next brother. Stok is the dedicated anti-heavy platform. With (hopefully) no light ships to flank and attack it, the Stok can float at range to avoid missiles and proxfuse attacks, while wailing away at SG ship armor for nearly 6 minutes of combat time. All this firepower is meaningless if it can't operate independently of the flagship. While the prototype Carrier/Tanker can keep up, it is too expensive and fuel hungry for the role of brawler tanker, especially that close to the front line. Bahral simply is a cheaper and more efficient dedicated tanker option for the brawlers.

Any chance of posting the files for these guys? I'm in love with these designs!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Alrighty, for those of you still interested, I just started my hardmode campaign with the custom fleet built to the budget of the money made in the vanilla playthrough. I promise to be a lot more active in the thread this time - thanks for hanging around and chatting in my absence.

I have two videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGHWEmoggC8

First one is the actual campaign start and the second is a quick video of last minute refits to the planned ships based on community feedback. Thanks to everyone who has been posting suggestions and comments on these ships!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5Sb4kcczw

When I get some time I am going to tidy up the first post so it has links to all the videos and mentions this playthrough!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I had never heard of this game but am a good ways into the vanilla campaign. Super cool game that I could never, ever play

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

What could go wrong, strapping explosives to the side of your interceptors? :allears:

Even on normal difficulty, every time I was tempted and slapped a Zenith on those little hull tabs on the side of my Lightnings, if I didn't use the missiles instantly in the next fight they would be shot off guaranteed.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Vanilla Bison posted:

What could go wrong, strapping explosives to the side of your interceptors? :allears:

Even on normal difficulty, every time I was tempted and slapped a Zenith on those little hull tabs on the side of my Lightnings, if I didn't use the missiles instantly in the next fight they would be shot off guaranteed.

This has been the most posted issue with the video so far, so I need to address it in the next one. I think I might be able to squeeze an internal missile mount for one zenith if I move some stuff around, but I can't afford a long refit.

ilmucche posted:

I had never heard of this game but am a good ways into the vanilla campaign. Super cool game that I could never, ever play

Thank you! The game is probably one of the tensest and most stressful games I have ever played, I love it!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Apparently they've updated to 1.15 and fixed a bunch of stuff?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

El Spamo posted:

Apparently they've updated to 1.15 and fixed a bunch of stuff?

Hah.

code:
Fixed the bug with fuel for strike forces.

Fixed a bug with enemy refueling in hidden cities.

Fixed bugs and exploits with refueling and repairing aircraft.

Fixed the drawing of the squadron on the global map after it sends/returns aircraft.

Fixed bug with sublists in editor.

Added exit from the battle to the title screen.

Fixed a bug which caused a money penalty after losing negotiations.

Fixed bug with combining module slots when repairing ships.

Fixed bug with disappearance of player's ships.

Corrected armor weight.

Fixed bug with reloading of player's APS.

Fixed crash in map mode when using navigational tools.

In the battle incorrectly calculated sectors where you can shoot depending on the overlap of the guns and turn the ship's hull.

Fixed bug with possibility to choose a transport at campaign start (it was sold at once).

Fixed bug with freezing ELINT level in player's squadron.

Fixed bug with displaying the purchase price in Supplies for last money.

Fixed a bug which caused the GUI to not update when merging squadrons in map mode, such as the list of available missiles.

Fixed the incorrect position of the thrust slider in map mode during detailing.

Added ability to move the camera while dragging.

Fixed errors with display of squadron's flying range on the map and on the mini-screen.

Fixed corrected shells operation.

Fixed mathematical calculation of the weight of the systems in the ship.

Fixed an error in fuel purchase calculations due to rounding.

Added bindings for 4 and 5 mouse buttons.

Bindings for up/down/left/right buttons now work in map mode and editor.

Fixed incorrect amount of resources for armor modules and hull parts.

Fixed disappearance of Supplies after a battle in a captured city.

57mm and 100mm in one ship are now assigned to different firing buttons.

Small fix in player warning logic on IRST.

Fixed bug with AI use of nuclear weapons.

Marching engines can be rotated 90 degrees.

Added correct torque for marching engines.

This changes everything.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 14, 2021

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Which ones are the marching engines?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

El Spamo posted:

Which ones are the marching engines?

Presumably the D30S and RD51 stationary engines which primarily contribute to worldmap speed+efficiency but previously did not generate torque regardless of ship structure. Which can make landing damaged ships difficult or sometimes impossible without first repairing and/or removing maneuvering engines (NK25, RD59, D30) to fix an imbalance, because those apply torque even if you don't want them to.

It would be amusing, though unlikely, if my dumb shitpost of a bug report actually influenced the decision behind that change.

bonus :psyduck:

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 14, 2021

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Phrosphor posted:

This changes everything.
Does this mean unorthodox engine placement and usage? I'm all for that, if it means restarting the campaign to mod the ship designs then let's go.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Apparently the APS (Palash) not refreshing properly for the player was a "bug" so now player's Palash is equal to AI Palash. This is the game-changer for me, covering your mandatory exposed engines with Palash is HUGE.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

TheDemon posted:

Apparently the APS (Palash) not refreshing properly for the player was a "bug" so now player's Palash is equal to AI Palash. This is the game-changer for me, covering your mandatory exposed engines with Palash is HUGE.

That's...I might have to continue my mad campaign and get owned.

And then make the Howling Demon class Death Bricks.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Phrosphor posted:

This changes everything.

DESCEND!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjiC_mNJhec

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Is ramming viable? I'm now imagining a ship that is like as cheap as possible to get an articulated engine or two mounted on a static engine and a V of armour plating. Facing down. :black101:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

Is ramming viable? I'm now imagining a ship that is like as cheap as possible to get an articulated engine or two mounted on a static engine and a V of armour plating. Facing down. :black101:

The game is aware of ramming and pytor will call you on it, and more ramming beings a downward morale spiral.

That being said, I do think there's a (semi) viable tactic out there for making ships with spikes or lances to impale into other ships without completely obliterating yourself.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwhSnMg_Vkw

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Bootcha posted:

The game is aware of ramming and pytor will call you on it, and more ramming beings a downward morale spiral.

That being said, I do think there's a (semi) viable tactic out there for making ships with spikes or lances to impale into other ships without completely obliterating yourself.

Oh, that's amazing that they coded in that stuff about ramming specifically, I love all the little details in this game.
Now, of course, this means you have to design a ship called the Narwhal...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Crazy Achmed posted:

Oh, that's amazing that they coded in that stuff about ramming specifically, I love all the little details in this game.
Now, of course, this means you have to design a ship called the Narwhal...

Sseth's review mentions a few varieties.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Discovered that the v1.14 nerf to elevated guns isn't really all that effective if you get creative, because triangular hullbits can be elevated up to (but no higher than) the rectilinear parts they're connected to, and there's still the somewhat obscure mechanic that makes turrets and maneuvering engines automatically elevate themselves up to z=+1 even with no surrounding hull.

Top left shows a basic layout without clutter in the way, except on its own it isn't enough. To the right is a variation that can achieve the same effect with big hull/engines/turrets which you probably wouldn't want exposed on an actual ship, and it's worth noting the Mk6 Squall at the top-right does elevate as one might expect, but cannot fire downward.

Bottom-leftish part is a copypaste of the initial structure but with relevant parts to show where the jankiness comes together:

It's a relatively compact package that gives you 16(!) elevated turrets that can shoot over fuel tanks even after the nerf but without any awkward +4 hulls to throw a wrench in designs.

If you really want I guess you could probably make a goofy overpowered Doom Fortress based on the modular layout, but the main takeaway here is that triangles will break your brain.

You're welcome.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 15, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Posting this to reddit as an unironic good build.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Bootcha posted:

Someone a few months ago on the reddit created ships with 'ramming' discarding sections that were intended to be blown off really easy and crash down into big ships below them doing tons of damage. I can't find them now though.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

Someone a few months ago on the reddit created ships with 'ramming' discarding sections that were intended to be blown off really easy and crash down into big ships below them doing tons of damage. I can't find them now though.

You can also create a manual release by having a section of the ship attached to a load-bearing bomb.

It's about as dumb as it sounds, but it works.

As soon as you drop the bomb, the breakaway segment is no longer connected to the ship so you have more precise control over when you drop your weaponized meme mjollnir/hindenberg/shivalingam/thwomp/etc

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Speaking of bombs, I discovered a weird mechanic involving them and surprise attacks from a video comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5N0btRd3q8

Could be a bug, could be a feature, who knows?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Wild. Never heard of that either. Do you know if it only applies to your active ship? Ie can you put a bomb on a skylark and have your lightning that goes in first still get the extra time?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

In that video dropping the bomb early seemed to end the delay immediately, so I think it needs to be attached to your active ship.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
When campaign start!?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Phrosphor posted:

Speaking of bombs, I discovered a weird mechanic involving them and surprise attacks from a video comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5N0btRd3q8

Could be a bug, could be a feature, who knows?

Almost certainly a feature; bombs would be completely dead weight if you never got to use them - which would happen all the time with a 10 second takeoff time.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

OK, so don't take this as actual criticism of your flying, Phrosphor - it's a million times better than what I could ever do, and the combat minigame is clearly designed to be harsh and unforgiving. It looks to me like when you use the long aiming indicator you're better at sighting dead at your target but less good at leading it? Like, great for laser-guided but not so good for HE shells.

I'll miss the crab legs on the audacity design, they're very aesthetically pleasing. But I guess looks have to come second to not risking a massive explosion on landing...

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

For putting ELINT on the Screamer you could move the radio antennas over so both sensor+jammer have full range?

Also if you want to split a fleet and have one ship carry equipment while others are repairing, there's a workaround where you do everything backwards:
(0) the game needs to stay paused while doing this
(1) figure out which ships you want to stay in the city to repair (Group A) and which ones you want to leave (Group B)
(1a) okay now do the exact wrong thing and split the fleet by ordering A to fly into some random location in the desert, because we're fighting UI JANK with STRATEGIC IDIOCY
(1b) tell Pyotr to stuff it when he warns you about interrupting the repairs, he might feel disappointed at having to follow crazy contradictory orders but he can deal with it
(2) order Group B to fly to wherever you want them to deliver the cargo
(3) now the fleet is split and both fleets are moving to different destinations, leftclick to select the Group A and give them a new order by zooming the map in enough that the game will let you click inside the city circle where the mouse shows a "LAND" indicator instead of the cursor-snapping onto Group B which merges the fleets, and rightclick to order Group A to travel to the city they're currently in. This deletes their move order before they take off, so repairs don't get interrupted.
(4) optionally you can double-check by selecting each fleet and hitting the 'enter town' button: if you've done it right then you'll end up with two groups, A should be stationary in the city with all of its ships still repairing (and no inventory), and B in the process of taking off to whichever destination (loaded with bombs or whatever)
(5) unpause and do whatever

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
There's an even easier way.

1. With the fleet you want to move, set a destination. The fleet will split on the map screen.
2. PAUSE
3. Select the fleet that is staying and SELL any equipment you want to be on the moving fleet.
4. Select the fleet that is moving and BUY any equipment you want on it.

So easy.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

That reminds me I should post the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1H4KIhVQM

One of the nice things about our screamers is all the support work they are doing. And refuelling for pennies means I am not worried about flying them around on a hunch.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah. Having elint on them would be neat as well, since I guess you could sit a few of them in the desert forming a perimeter, giving you early warning on anyone getting close to your fleet or strike groups?

Can you also scout for hidden cities with planes like you did with the screamer? I'm imagining the flagship parking up in a city at the edge of one of those suspicious empty regions, then sending like 8 planes fanning out over the entire area at the same time.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Would playing this game as a broader war simulator instead of a guerilla/commando strike group be enjoyable? Basically the end state after you reach Khiva but stretch that last battle into an entire game. Maybe allow your side to have allied AI in the battle, but that can be hit or miss depending on how good the allied AI would be. I don't know if the overall concept would be overly tedious, even though to concept of multiple fleets slamming into each other is exciting.

Does the reward from each completed run stack from NG+ completion? And is it successful runs or failed runs too? It seems to me that a very old save file can allow you to accumulate so many funds that you could start off with a couple massive fleets instead of just one.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donkringel posted:

Would playing this game as a broader war simulator instead of a guerilla/commando strike group be enjoyable? Basically the end state after you reach Khiva but stretch that last battle into an entire game. Maybe allow your side to have allied AI in the battle, but that can be hit or miss depending on how good the allied AI would be. I don't know if the overall concept would be overly tedious, even though to concept of multiple fleets slamming into each other is exciting.

Does the reward from each completed run stack from NG+ completion? And is it successful runs or failed runs too? It seems to me that a very old save file can allow you to accumulate so many funds that you could start off with a couple massive fleets instead of just one.

It doesn't really stack, from what I can tell the bonus only replaces the old value if it's higher, but there seems to be a way to run up the score a little bit... The carryover bonus doesn't consider how much money/etc you have at the end of the campaign; only the ships you destroy through combat (airstrikes/missiles count) so if you want to get your score a bit higher the obvious thing to do is play on hardmode and clear the entire map before triggering the endgame, but there's also a way to generate more ships to destroy, through an incredibly dumb exploit:

Before hitting Khiva send a fast ship to travel around the map recruiting every mercenary you can, sell their guns/missiles/radar/etc which won't be necessary, then send the useless ship into combat but intentionally keep resetting until the ship hits Morale 0 and flips sides to join the hostile fleet. Also for all of the ships you get for free after Khiva, you can do the same thing. If you really want to optimize this then maybe leave a few garrisons around the map untouched until after you've cleared all the tac/strike groups, so your throwaway chumps don't have to travel far and need multiple stops to refuel.

Just beware that having an entire fleet of 5+ ships hit morale0 at the same time sometimes causes CTD.

TheDemon posted:

once you're exploiting to that degree just edit the save, it's plaintext

yeah there's a difference between [technically possible, while staying within game mechanics/rules] actions vs [something actually worth doing], and the descriptor "incredibly dumb exploit" was supposed to indicate this falls into the former category. this is the kind of gedankenexperiment best left as a hypothetical/academic exercise

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 31, 2021

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

once you're exploiting to that degree just edit the save, it's plaintext

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Heroic effort versus that gladiator! I feel like if you're going up against these brutal garrisons armed with buckets of prox ammo, it's probably worth firing off any missiles you have relatively early in the engagement?

Also "Highfleet: I did it, but I died" seems like a good new thread title :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Well it seems like you are on video 4 and you haven't even posted video 3 yet. So much for that :(.