Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Angus King?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Oh absolutely Oprah.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

DFL are Democrats

Yeah I think it's just the name for the state party? Like how the Green Party in WV (shoutout to Eastern Panhandle Conservation District Supervisor for Jefferson County Danny Lutz and Southern Conservation District Supervisor for Summers County John W. Farrell) is named the gently caress Joe Manchin Mountain Party.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Everything Ted Cruz has done for the past six years has prepared him for this moment.

https://twitter.com/mollyjongfast/status/1473772310112862208?s=21

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FizFashizzle posted:

Everything Ted Cruz has done for the past six years has prepared him for this moment.

Too bad Nobody likes Ted Cruz. Renegade cut did a solid workup on his loving stupid loving life.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Senate doesn't recognize partisan affiliation in any official way. He could switch to the "gently caress Everyone, Except Joe Manchin Party" and if he voted for the same organizing resolution and Majority Leader, then it makes no difference at all.

He’d lose his energy committee post.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

lmao, Cruz has so thoroughly poisoned his own reputation that he would probably lose Texas in a national bid.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

VideoGameVet posted:

He’d lose his energy committee post.

Just changing his party affiliation wouldn't do that if he still caucuses with the Democrats. Bernie is the chairman of the budget committee.

Your actual partisan identification doesn't mean anything officially.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
All any primary opponent needs to do to Cruz is ask him why he's gone to the mat for the last several years for the guy who publicly called his wife ugly.

Double bonus points if it's Trump himself asking.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Cruz doesnt have the comedic wit that Trump has. I honestly cant imagine anyone over-35 on the current bench galvanizing the right like Trump. They need to find someone as catty and funny as him for 2028.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

Obama didn't "get played"; he did exactly what he was told to do, which was to take care of capital's needs & to hell with everyone else.

Some of the capitalists seemed pretty surprised when he immediately prostrated before the altar of the almighty Number, so I think he was also just doing it out of a pure love of the grift

e: Cruz almost made it back in 2016, until a fat bigot con man waddled up and stole his master plan out of nowhere. He burnt a lot of bridges to get there so now he's just kinda left drifting

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/business/status/1473777635624902673

Hikikomori finally kicking off in the Ol' US of A

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

FishBulbia posted:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1473777635624902673

Hikikomori finally kicking off in the Ol' US of A

NEET!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just changing his party affiliation wouldn't do that if he still caucuses with the Democrats. Bernie is the chairman of the budget committee.

Your actual partisan identification doesn't mean anything officially.

While technically correct the party does handle appointments to committees and if they didn't strip Manchin after he joined the "gently caress Everyone, Except Joe Manchin Party" than they're doing a real bad job as a party.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Yinlock posted:

Some of the capitalists seemed pretty surprised when he immediately prostrated before the altar of the almighty Number, so I think he was also just doing it out of a pure love of the grift

e: Cruz almost made it back in 2016, until a fat bigot con man waddled up and stole his master plan out of nowhere. He burnt a lot of bridges to get there so now he's just kinda left drifting

I sorta laugh-cry at the innocence of the one amazing post about "Ted Cruz is a mess, a waste, he got so close to the brass ring and Trump snatched it away." or something like that.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ted Cruz does have a very good chance the Republican nomination, because, although people here are often too focused on Democrats to notice, Republicans and their voters are loving awful and love terrible, terrible things.

He DID finish second in 2016, well ahead of the non-Trump field, and frankly that does make him a frontrunner for 2024.

Do a lot of people in the party dislike him? Sure. But a lot of people in their respective parties disliked Mitt Romney, Donald Trump, Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Cruz doesnt have the comedic wit that Trump has. I honestly cant imagine anyone over-35 on the current bench galvanizing the right like Trump. They need to find someone as catty and funny as him for 2028.

Franken wrote in one of his books that he liked Cruz more than many of his colleagues, because he seemed to have a sense of humor and could be self deprecating.

Of course, he still found him a loathsome human being.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Re: Ted Cruz nomination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u77J0hI1mPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJAwRTTRdKE

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Mellow Seas posted:

Ted Cruz does have a very good chance the Republican nomination, because, although people here are often too focused on Democrats to notice, Republicans and their voters are loving awful and love terrible, terrible things.

He DID finish second in 2016, well ahead of the non-Trump field, and frankly that does make him a frontrunner for 2024.

Trump is the nominee in '24 if he doesn't backdoor in via Speaker, period.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Do a lot of people in the party dislike him? Sure. But a lot of people in their respective parties disliked Mitt Romney, Donald Trump, Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton.

This is like arguing Republicans love eating garbage from the floor because you hate it. Cruz's entire brand was an outsider and Trump ruined that for him. He only kind of checked the boxes for the voters considering how well Trump took over the party and now it's a Trump party.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

Unlike the noble Democrats, who nominated a longtime segregationist, austerity- and prison-lover, advocate of the Hyde Amendment & rapist to carry the party's banner into the presidency. :patriot:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm trying to imagine how Republicans would spin a Canadian-born (almost forgot to renounce his citizenship whoopsee), Princeton and Harvard-educated Texan candidate if he were a Democrat.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

While technically correct the party does handle appointments to committees and if they didn't strip Manchin after he joined the "gently caress Everyone, Except Joe Manchin Party" than they're doing a real bad job as a party.

They're already doing a real bad job as a party.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Republicans & Democrats will always have a core base that will vote for their nominee no matter what, and Cruz wouldn't change that. I dont think he exhibits any of the qualities of depressive pathos, big strongman, or class clown qualities that brings younger republicans to the booths, though.

We have 6 years to theorycraft this, but if Cruz is their 2028 nominee I think his success (as far as the candidate vs material conditions in that year) would entirely depend on either the expansion of Vote By Mail (which lowers the barrier of entry for voting, which makes voters more likely to go vote even if they dont like the candidate at all), or many comedy nights (he's too pampered to have that Jordan Peterson pathetic-energy, and nobody will ever buy Cruz as a strongman).

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is like arguing Republicans love eating garbage from the floor because you hate it.

What? No. It’s like saying Republicans like eating garbage off the floor because in 2016, 25.1% of them, in a series of organized votes across America, said, “give me that loving kitchen floor garbage, please”, while 44.9% said “give me the garbage that was on the floor of the bathroom, instead.”

Willa Rogers posted:

Unlike the noble Democrats, who nominated a longtime segregationist, austerity- and prison-lover, advocate of the Hyde Amendment & rapist to carry the party's banner into the presidency. :patriot:

lmao I've never had a point proven harder, thanks Willa!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

"There are two types of people in the world: people who hate Ted Cruz... and Ted Cruz."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

"There are two types of people in the world: people who hate Ted Cruz... and Ted Cruz."

And if you look at that picture of him phone banking for Trump you start to wonder if maybe there's some overlap there

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Cruz could be the nominee" and "Republicans will vote for Cruz if he's the nominee" are 2 separate things. The latter is basically guaranteed -- there's just that separate question of how many undecideds.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
The 2024 GOP nominee will be Mike Lindell

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gumball Gumption posted:

Cruz's entire brand was an outsider and Trump ruined that for him. He only kind of checked the boxes for the voters considering how well Trump took over the party and now it's a Trump party.

Some conservative I used to work with started calling Cruz a RINO when he made some noises about opposing Trump years ago. And this was in Texas, with someone that actually knew who Cruz was! Even Texas Republicans dislike Ted Cruz.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trazz posted:

The 2024 GOP nominee will be Mike Lindell
If it’s not Trump, it will be someone like Lindell

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, I’d say Cruz’s chances aren’t very good in 2024, and are worse than they were in 2016 (and of course, it’s all moot if Trump runs). 25% is not a great showing for second place in a primary, and he hasn’t had a very good six years since then, while the party has changed in ways that are not really to his benefit.

He has a chance in a crowded field, though, and Republicans will rally around him if he wins the nomination, and worship him as a God if he becomes President.

(I wonder - if Trump doesn’t enter the 2024 primary, that has to create a weird loving dynamic, doesn’t it? Half the party will be clamoring that $Leading_Candidate sucks and we need Trump right now, come save us Trump. Can the GOP go through that without tearing itself apart? Can Trump receive that much attention and adulation without caving and entering the race?)

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

If it’s not Trump, it will be someone like Lindell

I think Trump is currently in the position he wants to be in; with all of the power and none of the responsibility. I don't think he's going to risk running for office again, because he no longer needs to.

Lindell, on the other hand, is an actual true-believer lunatic and will definitely run for office to "carry on Trump's legacy" or whatever

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

What? No. It’s like saying Republicans like eating garbage off the floor because in 2016, 25.1% of them, in a series of organized votes across America, said, “give me that loving kitchen floor garbage, please”, while 44.9% said “give me the garbage that was on the floor of the bathroom, instead.”

lmao I've never had a point proven harder, thanks Willa!

My point is that you're making a prediction without it really taking anything into account or showing an understanding of the Republicans and who they are and why they vote beyond them liking things you don't like. Like, by the logic of numbers you could of argued Bernie would be the presumptive front runner in 2020 and well that didn't happen and it was laughable to suggest it if you understood the Democratic party and what they want. Former vice-presidents do well and also we all know Mike Pence wouldn't have a chance in hell because of what motivates Republicans after Trump.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Trazz posted:

I think Trump is currently in the position he wants to be in; with all of the power and none of the responsibility. I don't think he's going to risk running for office again, because he no longer needs to.

Lindell, on the other hand, is an actual true-believer lunatic and will definitely run for office to "carry on Trump's legacy" or whatever

Trump would very much like 4 more years of immunity from prosecution

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

haveblue posted:

Trump would very much like 4 more years of immunity from prosecution

The entire GOP is working tirelessly to shield Trump from consequences even when he's not president

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trazz posted:

The entire GOP is working tirelessly to shield Trump from consequences even when he's not president
Yes someone posted that they are literally defunding Congressional race funds to pay his legal bills

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Trazz posted:

Neither party is particularly interested in "president facing any kind of actual consequences" having a legal precedent

bird food bathtub posted:

I sorta laugh-cry at the innocence of the one amazing post about "Ted Cruz is a mess, a waste, he got so close to the brass ring and Trump snatched it away." or something like that.

Cruz had to work his whole life to set the stage for the world's most unlikable president, but forgot to specify which unlikable president. Rookie mistake.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes someone posted that they are literally defunding Congressional race funds to pay his legal bills

Makes sense

Trump is the GOP now, and the GOP is Trump, the GOP's #1 priority is to protect Trump because the entire conservative worldview is now inextricably linked to him

If Trump goes down, then the typical American conservative might have to admit that he was wrong to have supported Trump in the first place, so the GOP will do everything they can do prevent that from happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Ted Cruz is absolutely a contender in a Trump-less field. DeSantis might have the edge on him since he has less time in the national spotlight for embarrassing scandals like "flies to Cancun when his state's electrical grid collapses" to manifest, but Cruz could definitely win some states. Obviously, if Donald wants it, everyone will clear out or be cleared out, but I don't think there's any "Trump legacy" candidates that can win. His kids have all faded out of the spotlight, Gaetz has all the pedo stuff, MTG is a woman which is still a major disadvantage on that side of the aisle, Lindell doesn't have the celebrity cred or the support network Trump did. I just don't see anyone like that emerging.