Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kalel posted:

I'm curious but do I even want to know

There were slurs in the code put they're by lowtax and/or radium and whoever. When they were recently discovered and removed it broke important forums stuff somehow so for now they're back

You'll have to look elsewhere for more specific details because computer coding talk is forbidden itt (and because I don't know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Astral has talked about it. It's on the list but after all the things that are on fire, broken, or held up with load bearing slurs (this last one is real)
Ah, cool - I couldn't remmeber, but I also couldn't find it which is why I mentioned it in the first place.
Load-bearing slurs is one of my favorite facts about SA. :allears:

As to where they came from, here's someone from PYF Sagas:

Zil posted:

Its on page 2, but here is the link to the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784826

There's also Jeffreys favorite forum code thread and astrals horrors of CMS thread which they post to with some irregularity.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Bloop posted:

There were slurs in the code put they're by lowtax and/or radium and whoever. When they were recently discovered and removed it broke important forums stuff somehow so for now they're back

You'll have to look elsewhere for more specific details because computer coding talk is forbidden itt (and because I don't know)

thinking machines were a mistake

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I want to see this movie in IMAX again. Do they ever just bring stuff back once in a while?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I bet they will do the LOTR thing and play both movies back to back in IMAX when the new one comes out

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well this is sad

https://news.yahoo.com/parents-actor-alicia-witt-found-191319608.html

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

:(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Similar thing happened to Weird Al's parents, I think it was a gas leak? Really sad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I took my 82 year old mum to Dunc and she pronounced it fantastic, had no problem following the plot without reading the novel. She was surprised it was 2.5 hours. That makes my sixth time seeing it, and I still liked it but I think I'm done now

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Dolby Cinema presentation and audio better than IMAX IMO, especially the scenes filled with different blacks.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

priznat posted:

Similar thing happened to Weird Al's parents, I think it was a gas leak? Really sad.

Close. They light a fire and didn't open the flue, so it was smoke inhalation.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Watching Dunc is weird for Dune fans. Like we know what's going to happen, broadly, but not the details, except for a few scraps from trailers. there's this weird mental distinction between what we "should" know and what we've actually seen. It's probably not a bad simulation of spice-induced prescience, really.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Dune hits all the beats that it honestly should. Sure, there's no loving dinner scene but that's fine. Dune is big, it's beautiful, it's loving boring, it's exactly what it should be. While I have absolutely no hope of ever seeing God Emperor of Dune on the big screen, maybe Dune Messiah could land there?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, we might get Messiah, but it's not going any further than that on the big screen and that's good.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I have to say, avid Dune and sci-fi fan that I am, I really hope we never get a film adaptation of GEoD. Just... eugh. Some things don't need to be committed to the visual medium.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I hope they've already filmed Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner as Marty and Daniel

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I've never read GEoD

But I feel a giant penis-worm voiced by Benicio Del Toro that pontificates on the meaning of free will while brutally subjegating the human race for 3k+ years pretty much sells itself

maybe they should make it as an anime

edit: I would also accept True Detective Matthew McConaughey

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I have to say, avid Dune and sci-fi fan that I am, I really hope we never get a film adaptation of GEoD. Just... eugh. Some things don't need to be committed to the visual medium.

I think GEoD could be a good HBO or Netflix short series but a single film wouldn't work unless they let David Lynch direct.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Vampire Panties posted:

I've never read GEoD

But I feel a giant penis-worm voiced by Benicio Del Toro that pontificates on the meaning of free will while brutally subjegating the human race for 3k+ years pretty much sells itself

Alright alright alright Moneo, go get the Duncan

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm sorry I just categorically disagree. I want Children of Dune skipped for reasons of loving taste (it's not very good either), but GeOD needs to happen. It needs to be "small". Centered on Moneo, more or less a day in-day out with monologues with this insane incomprehensible manworm and the bizarre poo poo that happens around him, and a really cool (and updated) take on the dressing down Moneo gives Duncan after he gets sick of his Old Fashioned Whining

just give no context, open on the start of Moneo's day and make people figure out what the actual poo poo is happening

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Gotta have the wall climb

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Cold open of Duncan #42069 being crushed by the worm, record scratch.

Yeah, that's me alright. You're probably wondering how I ended up here...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Please, please don't try to film God Emperor. :cripes:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I want to see some laser tigers in IMAX and I want them now!!!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I feel like even if you could theoretically make a good GEoD movie you wouldn't be allowed to given the context of making it a giant blockbuster in an existing IP

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I'd watch a trilogy for each book. give me 18 villeneuve dune movies, i don't care if they're bad

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

GEOD would be easy to make, just simplify the plot - Paulie gets on a throne but becomes evil, shown by black skull laden robes his fat Baron like body wears. Then a small group of brave rebels led by Duncan infiltrate his evil fortress and stab him, and Fremen democratically elect Duncan new Kwisatz Haderach. Credits roll.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

GEOD would be easy to make, just simplify the plot - Paulie gets on a throne but becomes evil, shown by black skull laden robes his fat Baron like body wears. Then a small group of brave rebels led by Duncan infiltrate his evil fortress and stab him, and Fremen democratically elect Duncan new Kwisatz Haderach. Credits roll.

This but make the Fremen small furry creatures that live on a jungle moon, so there something for the kids to enjoy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Really we already have the scene with baron flying around with trailing robes all worm like, just paste Eddie Scissorhands face on him and you're good to go.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

90 mins of baron harkonen playing night crawlers

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

I've never read GEoD

If you've ever tried to sit through McConaughey's insufferable audiobook autobiography you know he's already auditioning for it. Pointlessly verbose like he has 3000 years to tell you a story.

Also if you don't want to see Momoa tail whipped across the room I guess we just disagree what entertainment is.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

If you've ever tried to sit through McConaughey's insufferable audiobook autobiography you know he's already auditioning for it. Pointlessly verbose like he has 3000 years to tell you a story.

Also if you don't want to see Momoa tail whipped across the room I guess we just disagree what entertainment is.

TBH it seems like a groundhog-day sequence of Momoa getting either sexed or killed would probably sell itself to Momoa & the suits

Zimmer can drop the tempo on yakity-sax to liek 12bpm and win an Oscar

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

TBH it seems like a groundhog-day sequence of Momoa getting either sexed or killed would probably sell itself to Momoa & the suits

Zimmer can drop the tempo on yakity-sax to liek 12bpm and win an Oscar

:lol:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

would make a thin and aging moneo wiping the floor with Duncan even funnier if it's Momoa getting knocked around. In my head it's Brad Dourif because my mind has Moneo somewhere between his portrayal of Piter and the Duke

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I always pictured moneo as more of a mark strong looking dude.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gotta have the wall climb

ngl, the movie got me to reread the whole series, and the wall climb orgasm was where I just checked the gently caress out. I think I enjoyed everything way more when I was a kid and only concerned with "sandworms cool!"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Avynte posted:

ngl, the movie got me to reread the whole series, and the wall climb orgasm was where I just checked the gently caress out. I think I enjoyed everything way more when I was a kid and only concerned with "sandworms cool!"
but op, sandworms cool!

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

I always pictured moneo as more of a mark strong looking dude.

A major dome for a majordomo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Avynte posted:

Understandable. But what if it was a suck as gently caress montage