Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cannibal Llama posted:

I just looked it up and apparently the dude in question was actually one of Thomas Jane's stunt doubles from the 2004 Punisher but the cameo role in question was in fact intended to be Frank Castle so it still counts in my book.

Was it really "intended" to be anything? If I remember correctly, it happens in a crowd scene and it's one of a hundred extras who all turn their head after one of the main characters without any sort of focus or attention put on that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You guys should look up the "cameo" in question because it's totally unremarkable and unnoticeable to 99.9%+ of people who watched the movie.
To be honest though, Pennywise the Clown could be in the background and I'd still be focused on Dunst's very silly enthusiastic running to Peter.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Ah you got a point there. Music helps too.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Was it really "intended" to be anything? If I remember correctly, it happens in a crowd scene and it's one of a hundred extras who all turn their head after one of the main characters without any sort of focus or attention put on that guy.

They mention in the DVD commentary that they wanted to get Thomas Jane to cameo as Frank Castle, but had to use his stunt double instead due to contract issues.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be honest though, Pennywise the Clown could be in the background and I'd still be focused on Dunst's very silly enthusiastic running to Peter.

Penny wise is in the Space Jam cinematic universe, not Marvel

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I can never take Thomas Jane seriously in a bad rear end action role because all I can ever see is Todd Parker from Boogie Nights.

Not his fault for being such a good actor, just my personal Thomas Jane bias that I can't erase from my head. I always see him as a goofball fuckup trying to run a coke burn with a bag of baking soda and getting a boner over Dirk's orange corvette. When I'm not picturing that, I remember laughing out loud at the action scenes in Deep Blue Sea so it's a high bar for me taking him seriously in anything.

I'm sure he's a swell guy and a good actor and I wish him well but he doesn't scare me as The Punisher.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 22, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

I can never take Thomas Jane seriously in a bad rear end action role because all I can ever see is Todd Parker from Boogie Nights.

Not his fault for being such a good actor, just my personal Thomas Jane bias that I can't erase from my head. I always see him as a goofball fuckup trying to run a coke burn with a bag of baking soda and getting a boner over Dirk's orange corvette. When I'm not picturing that, I remember laughing out loud at the action scenes in Deep Blue Sea so it's a high bar for me taking him seriously in anything.

I'm sure he's a swell guy and a good actor and I wish him well but he doesn't scare me as The Punisher.

He was pretty good in The Expanse. And you can always be scared or at least awed by Wes Chatham as Amos as the "space Punisher."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Thomas Jane Punisher kinda owns. It's a deeply stupid movie, but its so much goddamn fun.

I also like Punisher War Zone and. the Netflix show, so maybe I'm just an easy mark for Frank Castle poo poo.

Cannibal Llama posted:

OK but when the hell am I gonna see Howard the Duck, specifically the one from the 1986 cinematic adaptation Howard the Duck, in the MCU?

I really want them to make a What If? Episode where the MCU version of Howard time travels and tries to stop them from making the 1986 film and creates some sort of time paradox.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like how Jane's Punisher does this extended revenge setup at the end.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Sony's Studio Head confirmed that Holland's Spider-Man will appear in at least one more Marvel movie, that Spider-Man 4 is in active development, and that Marvel/Sony don't have any official commitments to work together after that, but they are likely to continue the partnership.

quote:

"It's reciprocal. So we lend one, and they lend one, and that's how Benedict [Cumberbatch] is in this movie," Rothman said. "So we have one more 'lend back' that's committed. But the thing that I can say, and this actually the accurate scoop on this, which is that the two companies have a terrific working relationship. I think it's a mutual hope that that would continue. But there really isn't anything definitive at this moment, because the truth of the matter is, we gotta ride [Spider-Man: No Way Home] and see what happens."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Thomas Jane Punisher kinda owns. It's a deeply stupid movie, but its so much goddamn fun.

I also like Punisher War Zone and. the Netflix show, so maybe I'm just an easy mark for Frank Castle poo poo.

I really want them to make a What If? Episode where the MCU version of Howard time travels and tries to stop them from making the 1986 film and creates some sort of time paradox.

They already kinda did that with the ending of Deadpool 2.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The Thomas Jane Punisher drew pretty explicitly from Garth Ennis's "Welcome Back Frank" storyline - but managed to suck almost all the pitch black humor and fun out of it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Everyone posted:

The Thomas Jane Punisher drew pretty explicitly from Garth Ennis's "Welcome Back Frank" storyline - but managed to suck almost all the pitch black humor and fun out of it.

I thought it had plenty of dry humor. Frank torturing that driver, the extended Russian fight where all of Frank's booby traps hilariously fail, the Rockabilly hitman, John Travolta. All pretty funny.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

The Netflix Punisher series was really good, but I don’t want to see him in the MCU. Imo, the MCU is still plagued by Whedon quips and I just don’t want to hear The Punisher and Shang Chi doing some Laurel and Hardy banter while fighting nameless goons.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

AmbientParadox posted:

The Netflix Punisher series was really good, but I don’t want to see him in the MCU. Imo, the MCU is still plagued by Whedon quips and I just don’t want to hear The Punisher and Shang Chi doing some Laurel and Hardy banter while fighting nameless goons.

I on the other hand want to see Thor standing by with his mouth agape going "Oh my gaaaaaaaaaawd!" like this was Trolls 2 while Punisher disembowels a gangster.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Grendels Dad posted:

I on the other hand want to see Thor standing by with his mouth agape going "Oh my gaaaaaaaaaawd!" like this was Trolls 2 while Punisher disembowels a gangster.

I almost hate how well that I can picture this scene in my head

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Imagine whedonising punisher.

“The bullets run out but the anger never does…”

*Pratfalls into wonder woman black widows chest*

*looks into camera and goes crosseyed*

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dumb question

Is there anything in the new Dr Strange trailer that's a spoiler for Spiderman No Way Home, which I haven't seen yet.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Deptfordx posted:

Dumb question

Is there anything in the new Dr Strange trailer that's a spoiler for Spiderman No Way Home, which I haven't seen yet.

You'll know that Doctor Strange doesn't die in No Way Home.

That's it.

If you haven't seen Wandavision or What If...?, then there will be a few references you don't understand that are kind of small spoilers for those shows. But, nothing for No Way Home.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You'll know that Doctor Strange doesn't die in No Way Home.

Though the simple fact of the existence of the movie titled Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness kind of gives that away.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Everyone posted:

Though the simple fact of the existence of the movie titled Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness kind of gives that away.

I dunno, there's a lot of potential here for "actually this is a different universe version/evil clone/good clone/shapeshifter stuck in one form/villain pretending to be the character/hero pretending to be character/hallucination/past time travel version" shenanigans that the CW superhero shows use all the time and that the MCU to give some real suspense and drama to characters even though you know the actual cast of actors is going to be the same throughout.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Imagine whedonising punisher.

“The bullets run out but the anger never does…”

*Pratfalls into wonder woman black widows chest*

*looks into camera and goes crosseyed*

Jigsaw gives a scary speech about killing people.

The Punisher: "Bored now."

The Punisher has just gunned down 50 mobsters.

The Punisher: "Well, that just happened!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gargamel Gibson posted:

The Punisher has just gunned down 50 mobsters.

Thor: "Well, that just happened!"

Fixed. This is a shared universe and it's important that someone else makes fun of the grumpy skull man's whole schtick.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Not really huge spoilers, but they have confirmed that Multiverse of Madness is loosely (and with the MCU, sometimes that means very loosely) based off of a comic storyline called "The Last Days of Magic" and that thing that looks exactly like Shuma-Gorath in the trailer is intended to look exactly like Shuma-Gorath, but is named "Gargantos" - who is apparently a Namor villain that they have repurposed to look like Shuma-Gorath. He is also not a major character/villain.

Nightmare is supposed to be the main antagonist still.

To me, Mordo looks like a fakeout villain.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Why have a thing that looks like Shuma-Gorath but isn’t Shuma-Gorath and thus largely blunts any chance of bringing Dr. Strange’s archetypical nemesis into his movies?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sandwolf posted:

Why have a thing that looks like Shuma-Gorath but isn’t Shuma-Gorath and thus largely blunts any chance of bringing Dr. Strange’s archetypical nemesis into his movies?

No idea. Maybe they thought the name was dumb, but wanted to take the look as a reference?

America Chavez is cast and confirmed for the movie too. So, that is her in the trailer.

Nightmare doesn't seem to appear in the trailer and still hasn't been announced either.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't know Shuma-gorath was a thing outside of Marvel vs. Capcom

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

AmbientParadox posted:

yeah I simultaneously desperately want more Bernthal Punisher while finding the idea of an MCU production with him just an awful doomed idea. like, his Punisher and that show are perfect because of how raw his performance is and explicitly, uncomfortably hosed up the violence he inflicts is. it's not gratuitous just for the sake of titillation, it's essential to establishing a distance and discomfort for the viewer in fully rooting for Frank's Punishing.

like he's the protagonist, and the people he's doing it to are "worse," but that show was always great about giving you the initial "gently caress yeah" moment then dragging out the brutality and centering his victim's fear and pain with the gore long enough to make you go "oh, oh OK, jesus christ" it was careful to not just make the assertion that Frank isn't a hero by having him moodily say it, but really back that up in showing the viewer what that means, making the action cool but not glamorizing what a monster he is in how he operates. and past DD S2, where he's outright a sympathetic antagonist for much of it, it smartly kept his conflicts personal and with institutional enemies much much more powerful and vile in their cruelty than Frank.

I think that's absolutely essential to doing a good Punisher adaption, not just for the obvious political zeitgeisty reasons but in getting the spirit of the character right. and I just can't see any loving way a MCU/D+ production can do that.

even the fan proposed cameos like Armor Wars or whatever, the idea of Bernthal's Punisher giving a poo poo about any of that much less actually strapping himself into some CGI Iron Man armor feels so fundamentally wrong to his portrayal of the character. and while Bernthal's so charismatic you could have him do a more MCU friendly PG-13 Punisher and I'm sure he'd perform admirably, why bother at that point? much less risk the negative commentary sanitizing the character that way would invite?

the only way I can see it working is if they stuck it on Hulu outside of the D+ branding with the same/similar crew as they had before and let them go nuts without the content limitations, then you can just cross him over with street level D+ show guest spots and vice versa whenever it seems appropriate

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mandrel posted:

like he's the protagonist, and the people he's doing it to are "worse," but that show was always great about giving you the initial "gently caress yeah" moment then dragging out the brutality and centering his victim's fear and pain with the gore long enough to make you go "oh, oh OK, jesus christ"

I'm finally watching the Daredevil series on Netflix, and half a dozen eps in this is pretty much how I feel about the violence in that show.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The two goofiest punisher adaptations (The 2008 and the Dolph Lundgren one) actually nail the character. Stevenson does so well as a broken, empty shell of a person who has just enough self awareness to know how messed up he is and how broken his path has become. Lundgren plays an interesting transitional take on him: he fully believes in what he's doing. He's even fetishised and stylised how he does it, but as soon as his former police partner actually questions what he does, it all falls apart and he breaks down. It opens with him sitting naked in his underground lair.

I liked what Bernthal did and I generally like Bernthal, but that roaring, howling version, still in touch with his anger (instead of being a dispassionate nihilist) is my least favourite interpretation. Bernthal is good at it, though. Makes me want to see him in some medieval thing where he gets armour and an axe.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Punisher's rant to Daredevil on the rooftop is honestly one of the best Punisher related media bits ever

(sorry for potato quality, go to Netflix Daredevil S2E3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWh6A6ZIpfo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bernthal's roaring was the best part of his take on The Punisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXTvu2MI864

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I don't know how I missed this in the theater, but I just watched the Multiverse trailer on Youtube and noticed that they are bringing Mads back. Is this the first origin story villain to actually make a comeback in the MCU? Maybe if you count Loki?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I don't know how I missed this in the theater, but I just watched the Multiverse trailer on Youtube and noticed that they are bringing Mads back. Is this the first origin story villain to actually make a comeback in the MCU? Maybe if you count Loki?

Abomination was in Shang-Chi and will also be showing up in the She-Hulk series.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Red Skull (in a different form, I suppose)?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Timby posted:

Abomination was in Shang-Chi and will also be showing up in the She-Hulk series.

The Modern Leper posted:

Red Skull (in a different form, I suppose)?

Both true.

But, I don't think they technically count as villains in their reappearances.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt_UqUm38BI

Seeing on its own it's better, but man I did not like seeing this as the stinger. Hopefully marvel doesn't do that again.

e: flash trailer does the eerie synths way better

incoherent fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 23, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

incoherent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt_UqUm38BI

Seeing on its own it's better, but man I did not like seeing this as the stinger. Hopefully marvel doesn't do that again.

e: flash trailer does the eerie synths way better

IIRC Captain America's postcredits was a short trailer for Avengers 1. It even had a different aspect ratio to the rest of the film.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Loved No Way Home. I do have a question about the post-credits scene.

Who will be Venom?

I feel like they keep Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock in his own little universe. Sure we could get our own Eddie buuuut that might confuse less-than-knowledgable people about the separation of the two. We could do Mac Gargan as he already has an actor and eventually becomes Venom but I would prefer him in the Scorpion suit due to the fault of JJJ. Flash Thompson could be a tricky one since he does not know Peter is Spider-Man or how much of a fan he is of Spider-Man post-memory wipe. One story I'd love to see utilized is where they introduced The Punisher in the comics. Either have Punisher or Venom in the position of the one being manipulated by The Jackyl.

Wouldn't mind a Kraven-centric movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Waffleopolis posted:

Wouldn't mind a Kraven-centric movie.

Good news!