Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol at bringing frenchy back for no reason. That was so dumb.

This would have been better as a proper heist movie

It wasn't for no reason. His dialogue spells out his purpose. Dude is there to tell you poo poo was better back in the day and everything now is garbage. He's literally dressed in trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

RBX posted:

I'm not understanding why people are going into this expecting some dumb action movie and not a commentary on something with verbose writing. I'm not watching this for dumb action scenes. I swear online criticism and conversation has gone down the toilet.

It's like the people who criticize every new Tarantino movie for having "too much talking." You're free not to like it, I guess, but I don't think it really goes against reasonable expectations.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol at bringing frenchy back for no reason. That was so dumb.

This would have been better as a proper heist movie

LOL it reminded me of Yoda on crack in The Last Jedi.

It was so dumb.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Matrix movies are known for nutty action though, so imo, criticism towards Resurrection's weaker action design is valid. I thought the action was mostly pretty good, save for large chunks of the finale and the Dollar Tree Chateau brawl.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

teagone posted:

It wasn't for no reason. His dialogue spells out his purpose. Dude is there to tell you poo poo was better back in the day and everything now is garbage. He's literally dressed in trash.

I couldn't even tell what the gently caress he was saying because the theatre was so loud and he was just ranting while a fight scene was going on

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Shiroc posted:

I kinda think that if Lana could have gotten away with it, this movie would have had almost no action scenes at all.

this is absolutely correct.

and honestly it would have been the better movie for it.

it gave me so much of what i wanted from a matrix movie, which is social/trans/political commentary in a quasi sci fi-noir wrapper.

lana knocked it out of the park for me personally. i loved it so much

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Something about the way this was shot was really messing with me. Like I was never watching a Matrix movie but almost like a really high budget fanmovie with the original actors.

The first portion didn't sit well with me. All of the performances seemed really bad or exaggerated and I guess everyone can easily dodge machine gun fire now.

I would love more Animatrix and have the current state of the machine world a little more fleshed out.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 23, 2021

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
LMAO atThe Merovingian just ranting and raving about sequels, reboots and franchises.

I haven't finished yet (had to go to work) but goddamn, it's really fun so far. The meta take on the material is really intriguing, even if it is a touch messy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Also all of the fight scenes in this were way too close up, and missed the gravity of the first movie, which had the camera much pulled back.

I think the Smith fight scene was the best one.

Also, the character channeling smith did a very good job.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This movie was a lot of fun, I’m shocked at people here not liking it more.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I was hankering for some Hugo Weaving.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
This movie wasn't super good, but it was 1000% correct about everything and that rules.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also all of the fight scenes in this were way too close up, and missed the gravity of the first movie, which had the camera much pulled back.

I think the Smith fight scene was the best one.

Also, the character channeling smith did a very good job.

I think that was the one with the most stakes. Neo gets his rear end kicked, he’s bleeding, He isn’t as fast as he used to be, but there’s also a different element: smith misses fighting. There is an emotional component there that’s missing from the finale; it’s a scene that does more than one thing at a time.

By contrast, in the finale, almost every foe is anonymous. The swarm, the helicopters, the military, they are killing because they wanna kill. That might be the point, but it gives the main characters nothing to do but runaway and it’s weird to watch our hero wax off/wax on a half dozen times.

It’s points to a script problem:

The emotional climax of the movie is trinity rejecting the matrix. They build up the tension, The stakes are massive, and then we have it… Then we get a 9 minute escape scene. The touching scene on the roof is OK, but it doesn’t answer an emotional question. We already know they love each other.

They get so much right in this film that I think the structural issues are tentpole big budget issues, and you have to have everything in pre-viz very early and you can’t really change it. You might think of a wonderful ending two months before the film has to lock, but good luck getting an entire post production sequence done in that time. In a comedy or an indie movie, you could reshoot scenes, redub some audio and re-edit what you have. Not possible in a sci-fi action movie.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Gonz posted:

Echoing others in this thread regarding that end credits music. It was like “Babby’s First RATM Cover Song” and went in the exact opposite direction of going hard.

I'm sure it's already been said in the thread but when I heard it I leaned over to my fiancee and said I'm pretty sure this is the singer that full on pissed on that dude's face on stage a month or so ago

and, in fact, she was lol

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
eh this was ok, the first 1/2 was most interesting. the action scenes sucked and didn't really have any weight or stakes. blocking bullets and poo poo when you are a magic wizard is just not interesting. to have a lovely cover of a ROTM on the credits was a terrible way to end it

it made me realize how much loving mileage Matrix 1 gets from Hugo Weaving's performance and character.

edit: i also literally said out loud "ok come the gently caress on" when the one sentient good robot is a loving flying stingray with puppy dog eyes

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 23, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

aBagorn posted:

i'm sorry but matrix 1 is about "trans rights, gently caress you" more than anything else and by that metric it owns

If matrix 1 is about trans rights, then it's whispering it under its breath instead of coming right out and saying it.

It has a white cis man overcoming the system, who sees himself forever, as a white cis man, who was already in a privileged position (cozy office job in a skyrise where man becomes disillusioned in life) to come into more power that he can make the system do what he wants it to do now that he has the power....to love a white cis woman and not have "the man" control him, as if it would have stopped him in the first place.

And the movie reduxes the same premises as the first one, without retreading any new ground except in a few instances. If it really was a trans story, they would have actual obvious trans characters, but there's never been anything so overt.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 23, 2021

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I didn't realize there was a post credits scene - man this movie keeps delivering :3:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If matrix 1 is about trans rights, then it's whispering it under its breath instead of coming right out and saying it.

It has a white cis man overcoming the system, who sees himself forever, as a white cis man, who was already in a privileged position (cozy office job in a skyrise where man becomes disillusioned in life) to come into more power that he can make the system do what he wants it to do now that he has the power....to love a white cis woman and not have "the man" control him, as if it would have stopped him in the first place.
Kind of expected someone to have a presentation in matrix that was vastly different than their exterior self. I don’t think that happened for any human characters.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The first Matrix is the eggiest trans egg narrative that has ever been committed to film. There a bunch of posts earlier in the thread about it in between the thousand word posts about Marxism.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Kind of expected someone to have a presentation in matrix that was vastly different than their exterior self. I don’t think that happened for any human characters.

Exactly! This is the fourth movie, and it has a great framework to use that in the narrative in some fashion, especially concerning Residual Self Image, and instead they use it to show it's a system of control. I was expecting it, and it just never happened. It was disappointing.

I suppose perhaps that's the element they're referring to, but it's so paper thin as to be missed entirely by most.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

badjohny posted:

Just finished it and the one thing I notice is the fights seems less "heavy" is maybe the word? In the first 3 you got the impression that every swing could take a persons head off, or bust through a wall. In this one it just looked like a fight between two people and it looked very slow. Other than that it was a good watch.

The fights in this did have that same heaviness, though? Punches were going through concrete and bodies were hitting it so hard they left craters.

And Trinity literally kicks the jaw off the Analyst.

Also, I think anyone who enjoyed the thematic beats of this movie will enjoy Trainspotting 2, but you need to watch the original movie first if you haven't already (and you should - it's a classic).

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

direct from the source

quote:

The Matrix films are about being transgender, the trilogy's co-director says.

"That was the original intention but the world wasn't quite ready," says Lilly Wachowski, who came out as trans along with her sister Lana after the films came out.

Fans have speculated about potential meanings behind the iconic films and Lilly confirmed the theory to Netflix.

"I'm glad that it has gotten out," she said.

The Matrix first hit screens in 1999, when Lilly says "the corporate world wasn't ready" for an allegory - a story that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning - about transgender people.

But the director says the films have always been "meaningful" for trans people.

"They come up to me and say these movies saved my life.

"I'm grateful I can be throwing them a rope to help them along their journey."

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

The fights in this did have that same heaviness, though? Punches were going through concrete and bodies were hitting it so hard they left craters.

That's the superficial aspect of the fight scenes. Think back to the first movie, and they have a pause before major actions, a shake of the screen, a back and forth bruce lee or crouching tiger hidden dragon esque choreography, and this was just a hot mess.

When every fight scene is a Matrix 2 fight Smith poledance fight instead of Neo vs Seraph, it kind of sucks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just finished the movie. I still need to process it but holy loving poo poo this film ruled super god drat hard. They basically did everything right by me in terms of… everything. Prequel / sequel that mixes new and old? Sign me the gently caress up.

big loving props to their take on Morpheus and Smith. Once they clicked it was just perfect. NPH as the next architect was real good. God drat everything about it I loved

At the same time I can absolutely see why some people would loving hate it. But god drat they made a new Matrix movie in 2021 and knocked it out of the park. Holy poo poo. They did it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Literal first thing shown on screen at the start of the original matrix

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Literal first thing shown on screen at the start of the original matrix

One article:

"As I see it, a transgender reading of The Matrix examines three points: Neo’s so-called “Path” to becoming the One, the artificiality and pervasiveness of the Matrix itself, and the rigidity with which it is enforced by not only its creators, but those trapped within. For those of us who transgress gender as it exists in the world today, we follow a similar path. We must free our minds from an artificial system of control that can’t be seen but is omnipresent, and the system is rigidly, frighteningly self-enforced by those who operate within it.

THE MATRIX CANNOT TELL YOU WHO YOU ARE"

Alright, the matrix cannot tell me who I am, but it sure continues to sustain the status quo. I'm not saying it needs to have neo turn toward the camera and explain something specifically in a fourth wall break, but that if it wanted to have a more "impactful" effect for me, it's going to have to be less subtle and have less obvious cis behaviors. I did like that they implied something going on with Niobe in this movie, but didn't like that it took four movies go begin to show obvious LGBT signalling.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The final narration of the original matrix is neo explaining humans need to break boundaries and discover who they are while the camera slowly zooms in on the gap between M and F

That's really cool, but all I'm saying is that subtlety is completely lost on me until I read an article explaining it in clearer language.

Anyways, I agree with what someone else said, the movie needed to be longer. Maybe less things like the exile fight, and maybe redo the "get trinity out" more efficiently instead of it feeling like they had to run around covering a lot of separate irrelevant topics

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 23, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The final narration of the original matrix is neo explaining humans need to break boundaries and discover who they are while the camera slowly zooms in on the gap between M and F

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

teagone posted:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Merovingian’s scene owned. God drat having just rant about sequels and poo poo while the sequel distracted you with a big fight using the previous sequel actors was just the right amount of insane this movie needed.

God drat this movie was so good.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Merovingian’s scene owned. God drat having just rant about sequels and poo poo while the sequel distracted you with a big fight using the previous sequel actors was just the right amount of insane this movie needed.

Were they really the previous actors? it was hard to tell, with their outfits and almost no 1 on 1 focus on their faces.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Shiroc posted:

The first Matrix is the eggiest trans egg narrative that has ever been committed to film. There a bunch of posts earlier in the thread about it in between the thousand word posts about Marxism.

the red pill is literally estrogen i mean just :hmbol: at arguing the allegory isn't there

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just finished the movie. I still need to process it but holy loving poo poo this film ruled super god drat hard. They basically did everything right by me in terms of… everything. Prequel / sequel that mixes new and old? Sign me the gently caress up.

big loving props to their take on Morpheus and Smith. Once they clicked it was just perfect. NPH as the next architect was real good. God drat everything about it I loved

At the same time I can absolutely see why some people would loving hate it. But god drat they made a new Matrix movie in 2021 and knocked it out of the park. Holy poo poo. They did it.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My dude saidWIKIPISSANSHIT and people aren't happy. Some people just don't appreciate art.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ram dass in hell posted:

the red pill is literally estrogen i mean just :hmbol: at arguing the allegory isn't there

Googling what you said just shows generic shaped pills of any color. Pressed pills can look like anything

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I know why they went with movie footage, but it would have been really funny to see the Matrix game projection looking like something out of Deus Ex.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Robot Style posted:

I know why they went with movie footage, but it would have been really funny to see the Matrix game projection looking like something out of Deus Ex.

They had The Matrix Online to pull from!!!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Googling what you said just shows generic shaped pills of any color. Pressed pills can look like anything

during the 90s the most common form of premarin (which was the accepted HRT at the time) was a maroon oblong pill.

i know this from wishing i could take it at the time (and subsequently cursing myself that it took me another 16 years of hemming and hawing before i finally did come out, and now estrogen is primarily a blue pill...the irony)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Speaking of The Matrix Online I don't think they contradicted anything from it? Morpheus became a Neo zealot and died, which seems to match up with the MMO.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

aBagorn posted:

during the 90s the most common form of premarin (which was the accepted HRT at the time) was a maroon oblong pill.

i know this from wishing i could take it at the time (and subsequently cursing myself that it took me another 16 years of hemming and hawing before i finally did come out, and now estrogen is primarily a blue pill...the irony)

I'll take your word for it, I don't know anything about that :shrug:

Anyways, I apologize if that all came off as standoffish, I just was irritated that it wasn't more obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Just remembered Merovingian screaming "THIS IS NOT OVER, OUR SPINOFF FRANCHISE SEQUEL" and I cant stop laughing. If you didnt like that scene i sincerely feel bad 4 u.