Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

It's a Game of Thrones reference

Interesting redtext you've got there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Dingleberry2 posted:

Is that a wolf on the chair?

It's a fox. Agelmar's sigil is three foxes and presumably that's his throne.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
What’s with the skull masks on the other Seanchan?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
drat Towers of Midnight is really intense! Just got to the confrontation between Perrin and Slayer , rip Hopper :(. Egwene loving destroyed one of the Forsaken!

Can't believe this isn't the end of the book! I was expecting this to be the climax but I still got like Aviendha's chapter to read.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The helmets are both less weird and more weird than I expected but that shot of the segmented armor from the back :black101:.

Friendly Fire posted:

It's a fox. Agelmar's sigil is three foxes and presumably that's his throne.

Yeah I thought as much.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they're definitely going for a bit of a different vibe with the sul'dam and damane, but you can see that that's exactly what they are with the parallels between the two. they even have matching facepainting on their foreheads, it looks like, just the damane have gold and the sul'dam have red. with the shot from the front it looks like the sul'dam are mimicking using a paddle in the water, maybe, and i assume that the damane are possibly being used to provide wind/currents to steer and propel the ships if the last pic is any clue. i'd kinda been vaguely dreading how the seanchan were going to be portrayed but it seems like rafe is very much trying to go for a 'channelers are seen as dangerous tools' vibe paired with some bizarre outfits to really drive home how weird they are compared to the mainlanders, which is better than i expected.

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 23, 2021

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I wondered if the collars would be over the fetish line enough for the show to change it. Do not expect the replacement to be... giant bronze pacifiers?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

drat, that looks really good.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Hexel posted:

Spoilers

Welp, I guess I know that it must be Seanchan in the leaks. Please spoiler your comments to not spoil future people, thanks.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Mat Cauthon posted:

LTT looks great too, I love it.

I didn't see LTT in those official promo stills... I thought that was Ishmael

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hollismason posted:

drat Towers of Midnight is really intense! Just got to the confrontation between Perrin and Slayer , rip Hopper :(. Egwene loving destroyed one of the Forsaken!

Can't believe this isn't the end of the book! I was expecting this to be the climax but I still got like Aviendha's chapter to read.

I am looking forward to your reaction to it so much.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

alcaras posted:

I thought that was Ishmael

It is

We haven't seen any new LTT images since the leaked gifs

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

silvergoose posted:

I am looking forward to your reaction to it so much.

I'mma try and finish it tonight but will definitely finish it tomorrow.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I SEE INSECT HELMS gently caress YES

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Promotional images published by Amazon aren't spoilers.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

withak posted:

Promotional images published by Amazon aren't spoilers.

It does seem to be a blunder as they have removed about half of them. They were posted here:

https://press.amazonstudios.com/us/en/photos as per usual

Then twitter freaked out. I spoiler'd the worst ones because it is a pretty huge reveal and I know some people here don't wanna see that poo poo.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hexel posted:

Things we haven't seen before in this clip:

Fades get into Fal Dara and are killing people, something is making Moiraine gag or puke in The Blight, bats and something else are harassing Perrin, there is a call put out for all women who can channel, and then it looks like Amalisa leads a circle

Gee, I bet the Fal Darans with all their supposed experience against Shadowspawn sure feel dumb for not keeping their city fully lit at all times now.

Hexel posted:

HUGE spoilers do not click

No flying lizards around the boats, so 0/10. Not seriously, though I do wonder whether that aspect will be kept, or dumped as being too reminiscent of GoT.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

Gee, I bet the Fal Darans with all their supposed experience against Shadowspawn sure feel dumb for not keeping their city fully lit at all times now.

No flying lizards around the boats, so 0/10. Not seriously, though I do wonder whether that aspect will be kept, or dumped as being too reminiscent of GoT.

You'd keep them penned up on boats especially an ocean crossing, then walk them ashore. No way would I be trying to do landings on a ship with rigging.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You'd keep them penned up on boats especially an ocean crossing, then walk them ashore. No way would I be trying to do landings on a ship with rigging.

I mean, you very much could have some raken take off in order to keep eyes on the landward side of Falme looking for reinforcements or people trying to escape, and then just have them land on the ground with minders to be recovered later. To'raken are a bit more iffy given the larger size, but if doable could be used to put troops on the landward side as well.

With that said, I don't remotely take the lack of that aspect here to indicate it not being a thing ever - it just would have been a neat visual touch.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh poo poo was not expecting a team up of Perrin and Galad. Just got to the trolloc battle with Perrin wading in with his magic loving hammer wrecking poo poo.

Towers of Midnight is good ya'll.

I don't know if I'll finish it tonight though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

goethe.cx posted:

Interesting redtext you've got there

I once suggested that people who don't want ads on Hulu should pay for the ad-free tier

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I'll reserve judgment until I see it in action on screen, but lmao if they replace the damane collars with giant pacifiers.

Why is this thread so weird about damane, anyway? The Seanchan are slavers, and bad people, and unsympathetic antagonists for the majority of the books.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Why is this thread so weird about damane, anyway? The Seanchan are slavers, and bad people, and unsympathetic antagonists for the majority of the books.

Huh?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

There's a repeated theme where pretty much any time antagonists and generally lovely people in the books do bad things that show they are awful people, someone says "Here's hoping that gets pulled out of the adaptation."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Killer robot posted:

There's a repeated theme where pretty much any time antagonists and generally lovely people in the books do bad things that show they are awful people, someone says "Here's hoping that gets pulled out of the adaptation."

Oh. Most of us think that is a stupid-rear end thing to say, yeah.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You have to repeatedly and long-windedly explain why something is bad, otherwise people might not understand, nor understand your disapproval.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Killer robot posted:

I mean, the Seanchan are the embodiment of a society so slavishly adherent to their perceived ideals of the AOL (through Hawkings ascension as the heir to that age) that they are easily corrupted and wielded to sow no small measure of suffering and discord. On an individual level there are some who are exceptions, mostly by coincidence (Tuon) or those who shake their imperial brainwashing (Egeanin/Leilwin) but on the whole they're very bad people.

The show should definitely keep that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

I mean, the Seanchan are the embodiment of a society so slavishly adherent to their perceived ideals of the AOL (through Hawkings ascension as the heir to that age) that they are easily corrupted and wielded to sow no small measure of suffering and discord. On an individual level there are some who are exceptions, mostly by coincidence (Tuon) or those who shake their imperial brainwashing (Egeanin/Leilwin) but on the whole they're very bad people.

Which is kind of an interesting counter to the rest of humanity being in slow decline - they've maintained if not prospered by going full rigid slavery.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Oh. Most of us think that is a stupid-rear end thing to say, yeah.

some people would like there to be less rape and weirdly horny abuse, which i guess is the same as thinking bad guys shouldn't be allowed to be bad

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah, they're a really great antagonist faction in a ton of ways. They're very egalitarian militarily (I don't think any of the Randland armies include women at all, only the Aiel and kinda the saldeans), they're very organized and dedicated to fair enforcement of the law (The tinkers all gather in ebou dar because it's the only land where the ruler actually guarantees safety for common people) and providing for their people's needs to be met.......

........Aaaaand they're also literal actual slavers and keep people as property. And their whole power base is built on it. Their government is also driven by assassination and backstabbing, so, uh, yeah. A good antagonist with worthy contrasts.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Mat Cauthon posted:

Pretty much. The Seanchan are an awful authoritarian society built on slavery and the only thing keeping them from being the prime antagonists of the series is the literal supernatural incarnation of evil attempting to destroy the world. The books don't really sugarcoat this fact, even if they still express that they are still humans who can vary in their attitudes and be individually redeemed from abhorrent cultural norms. I hope the show keeps that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Which is kind of an interesting counter to the rest of humanity being in slow decline - they've maintained if not prospered by going full rigid slavery.

I don't think it's that at all- it's just being on a totally separate continent. Ishamael wasn't over there loving with them, there was no blight pumping out shadowspawn and slowly consuming land, and they were sent over as a unified force that didn't then endure a continent spanning civil war when hawkwing's empire fell.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
ep 8 preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1C4ocMmNkA

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
Yea the constant hoping they change plot points/characters sexuality etc is weird. They should defer to the books unless there is a good reason not to. And if they make a change it needs to be good.

I'm most looking forward to no more "who is the dragon" fabricated drama forcing a whole season full of errors. Maybe they can start fleshing out characters instead of giving all their interesting scenes to others.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Have they even mentioned Artur Hawkwing yet?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I don't think it's that at all- it's just being on a totally separate continent. Ishamael wasn't over there loving with them, there was no blight pumping out shadowspawn and slowly consuming land, and they were sent over as a unified force that didn't then endure a continent spanning civil war when hawkwing's empire fell.

Erm, yes they did. There was the Lesser Blight, which was stomped clean, they had the Consolidation (or Conquest) which was referred to as a continent-spanning civil war.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/The_Conquest

quote:

With this powerful weapon, he rapidly assumed control of much of the continent, but full integration of the conquered lands under the authority of the Court of the Nine Moons in Seandar took another three centuries, and occasional civil wars and uprisings continued to rage right up to the present day.

It's another form of decline, but in a moral sense rather than a literal one.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wraith_5_ posted:

Yea the constant hoping they change plot points/characters sexuality etc is weird. They should defer to the books unless there is a good reason not to. And if they make a change it needs to be good.

I'm most looking forward to no more "who is the dragon" fabricated drama forcing a whole season full of errors. Maybe they can start fleshing out characters instead of giving all their interesting scenes to others.

yeah they should have extended and repeated spanking scenes in half the episodes that would absolutely enhance things

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah they should have extended and repeated spanking scenes in half the episodes that would absolutely enhance things

Thats how they gentle Logain, spank the taint off him

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

It would make it better the same way your repeated strawmans make this thread better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I don't want to see Robert Jordan's kinks on screen, I want to see MINE! :mad: