Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's buggier than the backside of a wet rock.

I'm definitely stealing this, thanks.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Has any series been so successful and gone on so long without a single good entry?

Postal, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

postal is nowhere near as successful as fnaf. like not even in the same ballpark. the question wasn't "what other bad series have you heard of"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

That's not really a question that can be answered because it all comes down to taste.

Like, FNAF is very good at doing what it is trying to do. Versus Resident Evil, which is trying to be a scary game, and in reality the games are creepy for approximately the first thirty minutes and then are 10 hrs of action movie shooting with a zombie filter over top. It's not a bad game, but it fails at its goals.

Like Resident Evil is so consistent in being good up until you get the shotgun that it's practically a mathematical limit.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mainline Resident Evil hasn't been trying to be scary since at least RE4 if not ever. It has pretty much always been action with limited resources and horror theming.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Resident Evil has aspired to be exuberantly stupid for the past 20 years and has more often than not succeeded.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hel posted:

Mainline Resident Evil hasn't been trying to be scary since at least RE4 if not ever. It has pretty much always been action with limited resources and horror theming.

Maybe, but at the same time fans of the series talk about lickers jumping through windows like its why they are in therapy now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hel posted:

RE7 was, but there are clear points in that game where it can't help but turn back into gun-heavy action. Not that that's a big complaint on my end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spinning plates until the jump scare plays is bad. I'm sure the creator being a moronic shithead biases me but I was always shocked at how the series blew up even before that kerfuffle.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It became super popular with children then made its way down that weird SEO streaming clickhole.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Heh. Can’t believe you dumb asse’s can’t understand the true horror of a bigoted Christian man who got beat up at a Chuck E Cheese’s once.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Perhaps I am a man of simple tastes, I still like the stupid bear games. Honestly it's refreshing to have a series with weird dumb monsters instead of the entire things to have been a metaphor for depression. And yeah of course it has poo poo gameplay, it's a horror game, they *all* have poo poo gameplay.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 22, 2021

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

what if the weird dumb monsters were metaphors for depression though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Don’t summon MattPat here

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

0 rows returned posted:

what if the weird dumb monsters were metaphors for depression though

I'd say "game theory account spotted" but I'm torn between that guy being too brand oriented to come here and the undeniable fact that he's probably killed a man for a sexual rush which makes him a perfect goon

Efb

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

RE7 was, but there are clear points in that game where it can't help but turn back into gun-heavy action. Not that that's a big complaint on my end.

I still haven't finished re7 because the bug lady is scary

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cawthorn’s a poo poo but I’d maintain that most of the FNAF games are very effective iterations on a simple concept and the original is a fine horror game in itself, jumpscares and all, so long as you can separate it from the YouTube facecammers and lorelords

but Security Breach ditches everything that made the series unique so all it really has going for it is momentum, and maybe furries

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The real horror of FNAF is what my dick is going to look like after playing the series for eight years then breaking into a Chuck E Cheese

Mr. Charles Entertainment Cheese better watch his loving backside

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 22, 2021

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Must say I find it interesting to see people say RE7 was scary, I found it tried to be gross, disgusting and a bit tense, but never actually trying to be scary. So pretty much like the other games in the series.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mean, whether or not it succeeded is completely subjective, but shifting back from the last few games' action to more horror was explicitly part of its design. There's a large chunk early on where you're in a creepy mansion, underpowered and with an unkillable enemy stalking around, and a later section where you're creeping around a dark derelict shop and starting over with basically no resources. It does veer back into more typical gross monster action, but there was definitely an attempt to give some of it more of a horror orientation compared to many of the surrounding games.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The first boss fight is against a car and the second(?) is a chainsaw fencing match, the horror is abandoned in favour of action about as quickly as in RE6.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

Perhaps I am a man of simple tastes, I still like the stupid bear games. Honestly it's refreshing to have a series with weird dumb monsters instead of the entire things to have been a metaphor for depression. And yeah of course it has poo poo gameplay, it's a horror game, they *all* have poo poo gameplay.

While your last point is correct I still can't give them a pass. Though it does remind me that my GOTY Cruelty Squad is a more effective horror game than explicitly horror games and has amazing gameplay.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hel posted:

The first boss fight is against a car and the second(?) is a chainsaw fencing match, the horror is abandoned in favour of action about as quickly as in RE6.

Yeah but then the old house is just a modern indie horror against an invincible monster then the Saw section is one half action game one half indie horror puzzle escape room game, it's a good land of contrasts until the final segment where it turns into bad call of duty.

(is he talking about re7 or re8 badum tish)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hel posted:

I mean, that's generally fair, there's a ton of the regular goofy poo poo in it, I just think there's more sections of it that try for general horror than that makes it sound like. But I guess it's all subjective enough that it's not really worth arguing all day over, I like the game either way.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"RE7 isn't scary" he said deleting his youtube channel footage of the first time he went through the basement.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
RE7 absolutely focused on horror *relative* to the prior entries. That's not saying much, but it's true.

Scary or not, RE7 was really dang good up until the boat/F.E.A.R. stuff.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I thought the early RE7 demo was super scary for some reason. Maybe because I didn’t know what to expect

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Resident Evil starting shifting from horror to action as early as RE2. Even the first game ends with a supervillain lab going up in a giant bombastic explosion. As much as Silent Hill lifted from movies like Jacob's Ladder, RE has always been doing the same with Schwarzenegger-style flicks. That's why its good.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Hel posted:

Look ill give you the second one, but the car fight was actually tense and brilliant classic scary poo poo. Slow crawly creeping tension broken by an immediate and powerful threat is spooky 101, it's pam and whatshisface sneaking through the house, when bubba bursts through with the chainsaw. it was one of the series most inspired moments and unique boss fights imo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm watching the new reboot resident evil movie now and it's both very faithful and terrible

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm watching the new reboot resident evil movie now and it's both very faithful and terrible

To be the former it would have to be the latter I'm convinced, in film form at least.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is it bad but enjoyable in the way the other live action ones were, or just, not good even on that level.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

i'm halfway through and the zombie apocalypse hasn't even happened yet. so far there are a couple of individual zombie scenes

- Claire getting attacked in Chris's house by one that painted with its blood ITCHY TASTY on the glass door and then yelled ITCHY TASTY at her

- (kinda rad, maybe) a truck tumbling down and the trucker zombie casually walking into the RPD police station engulfed in flames while Jennifer Paige's Crush plays

there are a lot of boring poo poo to trudge through so far with painful writing where chris doesn't believe claire, that sort of poo poo, and some pointless flashbacks. also the soundtrack has a repeated theme of a girl singing "la la la la" that drives me insane everytime they want to invoke creepiness.

anyway the police chief just drove the gently caress out and i'm hoping poo poo starts happening

EDIT : well they definitely got the Spencer mansion and that first turn around zombie right

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 23, 2021

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Lmao it ends with a rocket and a post credit scene of wesker getting his shades

Overall the show was awful but it was fun spotting some references. Absolute waste of Hannah John Kamen

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 23, 2021

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I actually liked Wesker and Irons more than the good guys.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The resident evil films are terrible in a way that will always let me watch them and laugh. They know what they're doing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

dogstile posted:

The resident evil films are terrible in a way that will always let me watch them and laugh. They know what they're doing.

The scene in the Final Chapter where the chick tells Wesker "you're fired" and then the door shuts on his leg and chops it off and he's left on the ground dying was some of the funniest poo poo I ever saw.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

For how bad the Milla Jovovich resident evil movies were they were all a good baffling time with some fun action. Welcome to raccoon city, the latest movie which attempts to reboot the series, does not seem to know if it should be a horror or an action movie. Also yeah the villains are better than the good guys

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I saw the first RE movie with only sort of a vague notion of the first game. I knew it had an evil guy named Wesker, took place in a mansion with zombies, and was pretty cheesy, so I figured the movie was a faithful retelling...minus having Wesker in it I suppose. I uh was not correct in that regard.

Though when that guy at the end mentioned the Nemesis project, I knew what that was.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Groovelord Neato posted:

Spinning plates until the jump scare plays is bad. I'm sure the creator being a moronic shithead biases me but I was always shocked at how the series blew up even before that kerfuffle.

I only ever felt like the second game is like this, largely owing to the Puppet making every security camera but it's room obsolete. Watch a successful run of 2's hardest challenge and it's just someone doing a series of motions, in order, with endless repetition until 6AM. Winding, camera flashing, mask swapping, ad nauseum.

The new game throws away a lot of what defined the series, including the "nights" concept embedded in the title, to make something that feels like that one Silent Hill game where you almost always run away. However at the same time the player in this one is easily the most devious furry-murderer. He isn't trapped in a building with the robots, they're trapped to spend the night with him Home Alone style. When he faces off with The Serial Killer final boss, it could have had the promise of a real throwdown but instead the AI was stupid and glitchy as gently caress while they do a worse version of the "trapped in the office" shtick they did better early in the game.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Like, FNAF is very good at doing what it is trying to do. Versus Resident Evil, which is trying to be a scary game, and in reality the games are creepy for approximately the first thirty minutes and then are 10 hrs of action movie shooting with a zombie filter over top. It's not a bad game, but it fails at its goals.

Like Resident Evil is so consistent in being good up until you get the shotgun that it's practically a mathematical limit.

there are a lot of legitimate criticisms you can make of Resident Evil 4 and onwards but "not doing what they're trying to do" isn't one of them IMO. RE5 and RE6 aren't great games but they are extremely confident in the tone they present