Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Can we as a thread quit trying to parse out which of Eklunds horrible views is *kinda, sorta* valid? Please?

I'm not going to, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

silvergoose posted:

gschmidl posted:

Eklund: the Musk of board games?
Nah eklund did design some things.

This rejoinder needs to not be forgotten. :perfect:

I am as disgusted at the lickspittle goons trying to justify their luxury goods purchases from known avowed bigots as I am pleased that there are posts being like "People bringing it up like this is how I heard he was a shitbag, too bad it was after I bought some games, but at least I know better now." It's that second one which is the important thing. Every person we inform is a victory, and every person to whom we demonstrate why its important to inform people is another victory. Some people will just continue to support Eklund, whether they think it doesn't matter (I disagree) or they are unwilling to disengage from their selected luxury novelty good (ehh I get it but I wish you'd reconsider) or they are just loving fascists (in which case gently caress you sideways).

But if we keep bringing it up, there will be fewer stories of people with decency who found out only after they parted with their money.

Also, if you still want to play HF or whatever, just buy it on the secondary market ffs.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Pretty sure Townsfolk Tussle was kickstarter only, unless they printed extra copies to sell themselves.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What is the highest rated Kickstarter-exclusive board game on BGG?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

CitizenKeen posted:

Not sure how you would even determine that. There's not that many KS games that ended up truly KS exclusive.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Kerro posted:

Pretty sure Townsfolk Tussle was kickstarter only, unless they printed extra copies to sell themselves.

That's what I was thinking. I'll keep looking and my fingers crossed I can find a copy for a quasi not crazy price. Thanks

Edit: Also gently caress KDM and I'm glad people jump on bullshit publishers and share info about them. It's help me avoid giving money to scumbags
I did grab Pax Pamir 2nd edition as it does seem suitably disconnected while also being a great game

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 22, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Crackbone posted:

Not sure how you would even determine that. There's not that many KS games that ended up truly KS exclusive.

Hmm. When I hear that Townsfolk Tussle is a KS exclusive, I started to wonder if there are any really, really good KS exclusive games.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I'm sure there must be. I'd heard good things about Carnival Zombie (enough to back the reprint which has been a disaster) but I'd presume just the lack of availability would prevent them breaking into the top thousand or so. It will be interesting to see how TT does cos I really enjoyed my plays of it on TTS.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Edit: Also gently caress KDM

finally can we please get back on topic.

im on lantern year 7 and just unlocked the phoenix quarry but idk if i should be grinding lion or antelope parts for gear at this stage

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Can you make a flail out of lion balls?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Townsfolk Tussle...is there any sort of ETA on when people can buy copies for that game? Looks like it was released in September this year but I'm not seeing any for sale anywhere

I asked them directly - if they have anything left it'll be announced by newsletter/Discord, and they're planning a second Kickstarter with a reprint of the base game plus ???.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CitizenKeen posted:

Possibly Kingdom Breast Monster (at #50)?
7th Continent is #49 but it has got partial retail releases, and Pax Pamir at #54 has retail releases that are just retailers going through the KS.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

I am as disgusted at the lickspittle goons trying to justify their luxury goods purchases from known avowed bigots

I'm pretty sure no-one is talking about buying a game from Phil Eklund. We all accept he's human garbage. We're talking about if it's okay to buy a game made by someone else who works in the same company as him. I mean, people are saying he’s an employee, not a contractor. It’s not like they can just stop renewing his contract. You can’t terminate someone’s employment for having bigoted views (unfortunately).

Like, I don’t like that far-right Youtube channels exist, and it would be nice if Youtube would decide to cull them all, but I’m not going to boycott the Youtube channels I like to try to hurt the ones I don’t.

But I also get that other people are going to draw the line at a different spot that me, and that’s fine. I’ve bought his games in the past before knowing who he was, and maybe if they were that little bit harder to find, then that mistake could have been avoided. Maybe it is Ion’s fault for failing to do their due diligence and entering into a Faustian bargain, and we need to make an example of them so it doesn’t happen again. But I just feel that for a tiny company like Ion, trying to punish their other designers will just leave them more reliant on Phil Eklund, and won't impact him one iota.

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 23, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ubik_Lives posted:

I'm pretty sure no-one is talking about buying a game from Phil Eklund. We all accept he's human garbage. We're talking about if it's okay to buy a game made by someone else who works in the same company as him.

except the one person continually saying Phil's view are "normal and historically accurate"?

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

Would someone indulge me and explain what [Kickstarter] is actually attempting to accomplish by getting into blockchain?

My pet theory to this is that it’s a way to solidify their status as not a storefront for pre-orders (and thus could be liable be consumer protections), but just as a facilitator between backers and the creators.

The block chain is just a fancy spreadsheet of who has traded what to who. They’ll sell to the consumer as a way of easily trading your pledge on to someone else if you don’t want it anymore, and the block chain will track it all. But should a regulator come knocking that they appear to be taking money in exchange for the promise of products, they’ll show the block chain that doesn’t involve them at any point. They’ll set it up so the pledge is transferred straight from the creator to the backer.

It’s also why I think they’ve avoided having any pledge managers built into Kickstarter, despite there being such an obvious demand for it. It would weaken their claim as being a project facilitator, and not a storefront.

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 23, 2021

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

except the one person continually saying Phil's view are "normal and historically accurate"?

Okay, I will admit I’ve just been skim reading the thread, but in my defence, it’s been like eight pages of KDM and the tale of two Eklunds. All I want is for this thread to start talking about normal board games again, so I can ask how multiplayer solitaire A Feast for Odin is. This thread raves about it, but I’m not a huge fan of multiplayer solitaire, and the global shipping crisis means the game is sold out across Australia and I’d have to use Amazon to import it in, and I’m not a fan of Amazon. This is my great moral crisis.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Very much so; it should be out of alpha on BGA before too too long, try before you buy?

(I love it, but the interaction is definitely in the blocking worker placement that you can get around, taking an island before someone else so they have to adjust to a different one, that sort of thing)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

KDM bad
Phil Eklund bad
Vlaada Chvatil good (Jedit shut your loving mouth I swear to god)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Why can't tom vasel wear a loving proper set of clothes oh my loving god

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Why can't tom vasel wear a loving proper set of clothes oh my loving god

He's supporting twenty kids on a board game reviewer's salary.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
He makes his kids pick up the components after he throws them on the floor

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

He's supporting twenty kids on a board game reviewer's salary.

That should make it even easier for him to not dress like a clown

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Top Kickstarter game on BGG is Kingdom Death Nyanster

Checkmate cubepushers :smug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Doesn't seem like it's us you're trying to justify it to.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

KDM also has a store, it's not KS exclusive.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Assuming you mean me, then you got that half right. There are 10s of millions of American Boomer Republicans; such views are normal. That doesn’t make them historically accurate; it just means a lot of people hold them. They come up in Wikipedia articles, popular history books, mass market fiction and sometimes board games.

Feel free to personally avoid supporting those with such views, feel free to organise a boycott based on them. Just don’t use terms like ‘Nazi’ and ‘Holocaust denier’ in such campaigns.

Maybe save that for cases where they actually apply?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Stop hitting yourself

Dancer
May 23, 2011

radmonger posted:

Assuming you mean me, then you got that half right. There are 10s of millions of American Boomer Republicans; such views are normal. That doesn’t make them historically accurate; it just means a lot of people hold them. They come up in Wikipedia articles, popular history books, mass market fiction and sometimes board games.

Feel free to personally avoid supporting those with such views, feel free to organise a boycott based on them. Just don’t use terms like ‘Nazi’ and ‘Holocaust denier’ in such campaigns.

Maybe save that for cases where they actually apply?

You are Nazi-adjacent, and the things you said can be perceived to be Holocaust denial, with your casually defending and doubling down on defending a Holocaust denier.
If the shoe fits... maybe you should do something to stop the shoe from fitting. Those tens of millions of people are regressive assholes and it is not virtuous to be associated with them.

radmonger posted:

As far as I know, it’s an entirely intellectually respectable theory that that kind of hatred has economic roots deeply embedded in the nature of financial capitalism.

"intellectually respectable" is Nazi poo poo. That theory is only respectable to Nazis and those working (consciously or not) to sustain the viability of Nazism as socially acceptable thought. You are promoting Nazism, just as Eklund does, as well as those "academics" which lead you to dare to claim the theory is "intellectually respectable". So gently caress off back into your little hole you creep.

On an unrelated note, for people who don't mind things being dry resource conversion, Forge War is an excellent game that offers you a very fun engine to keep running. You start with a few piddly level 1 adventurers clearing goblins with copper swords, as the single quest you can go on, and you slowly develop into an industrious machine of printing megaweapons for keeping the land safe.

And for people who just want to have a little fun: Murder on the Cosmic Express is an outstanding 5 minutes social deduction game for 4-6 players (don't play with 3) that uses exactly 19 cards and one hourglass. It begins with some Pit style trading of cards without communication (whereas only the murderer is incentivized to pick up the murder weapon while everyone else wants to get rid of it, despite not knowing what it is), followed by The Captain revealing themselves, interrogating people on their actions during the trading phase, and arresting one person. Can easily be played multiple rounds in a row. I have some house rules for scoring (1 point for "minor victory" i.e. correct person is arrested according to your role, and 3 points for "major victory" i.e. correct arrest *and* you successfully traded for the right cards)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think this thread needs a new start. The OP is out of date and to be honest I’ve been kind of out of the loop in terms of recent developments for board gaming. So if anyone wants to create a new OP and thread, I think now it’s a good time to do it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Will this mean we can buy from WizKids again?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Will this mean we can buy from WizKids again?
:thunk:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tbf Wizkids are better than they used to be, so the message isn't as relevant anymore.

Although Mage Knight is still a bad game. That hasn't changed.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Am I not supposed to buy from wizkids? I like super skill pinball and want more of it. Also, a free print n play christmas pinball table was released for it a couple weeks ago.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

FirstAidKite posted:

Am I not supposed to buy from wizkids? I like super skill pinball and want more of it. Also, a free print n play christmas pinball table was released for it a couple weeks ago.

They used to lead the pack in terms of bad production quality and bad customer service for replacements. They got better, and Asmodee got a lot worse.
E: specified that their customer service was bad too.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 23, 2021

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, they had Sidereal Confluence which is a great game with awful components. Nowadays though they have Sidereal Confluence which has great components!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Zman sold to Asmodee and the previous owner went to Wizkids and said “here’s how you do things that don’t suck”.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Has anyone played the weird new version of Dune yet that goes to four players? I was having a chat with friends on the weekend talking about Dune and having a hilarious "who's on first" style conversation about the different games and names and editions. My surface understanding of the game makes it seem like an odd choice/re-design when the GF9 version already exists, looks good, and is a shockingly reasonable price.

Semi-related, my friend apparently nearly had a meltdown and table-flipped over losing a 2P game of Imperium because the AI ain't nothing to gently caress with when it comes to winning conflicts. I assume I'll lose whenever the AI is involved and has equalish cubes in the fight.

Unrelated and apologies if I asked this and forgot the answer, but what are people's thoughts on 1848? It looks similar to 1860 with a dash of '49 mixed in. Trying to figure out if it's worth grabbing or not.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tekopo posted:

I think this thread needs a new start. The OP is out of date and to be honest I’ve been kind of out of the loop in terms of recent developments for board gaming. So if anyone wants to create a new OP and thread, I think now it’s a good time to do it.

poo poo, if someone makes a new OP, they need to make it themed around Filthy Rich. The last time we got a new thread with T&E themeing, it got reprinted, so I need that to get my Filthy Rich reprint. I'd do it now but I'm on lunch at work and I also have no artistic talent.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is zman pronounced "zee man" or "zed man"

Magnetic North posted:

poo poo, if someone makes a new OP, they need to make it themed around Filthy Rich. The last time we got a new thread with T&E themeing, it got reprinted, so I need that to get my Filthy Rich reprint. I'd do it now but I'm on lunch at work and I also have no artistic talent.

gently caress that, mall madness themed thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I was planning to do a Dungeon Petz themed OP last time I considered rebooting the thread, but realised it was too much effort in the end. Also DP isn't exactly cutting edge nowadays.