Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

cant wait for the tornadocanes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Lol, here comes more of that "That can't be right, there must be something wrong with the models" weather for the PNW

https://twitter.com/The_Weatherman2/status/1473413836606611456?t=yc3hx3sq9DGRMjbmu24fNQ&s=19

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Dog Case posted:

Lol, here comes more of that "That can't be right, there must be something wrong with the models" weather for the PNW

https://twitter.com/The_Weatherman2/status/1473413836606611456?t=yc3hx3sq9DGRMjbmu24fNQ&s=19

Hmmm, seems kind of cold. I do not care for this. Can we do some more global warming to fix it?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Dog Case posted:

My buddy posted 8°F in Seattle next week and I definitely went lol that can't be right in response

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Dog Case posted:

Seattle's all time low is 0°F. I hope they set an all-time high and low in the same year.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nature about to ultra combo a hell of a lot of outdoor water pipes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dog Case posted:

Here comes the USA energy crisis!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Lacrosse posted:

My buddy posted 8°F in Seattle next week and I definitely went lol that can't be right in response

whoops heat pumps don’t work that cold

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Dog Case posted:

I'm not loving around and waiting this time. PNW isn't Minnesota. Our infrastructure is going to be all hosed up at that temperature. I'm just going to assume I'm having a power outage in freezing weather and plan around that.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hope you pnw goons are good on propane

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I have firewood but haven't gotten my chimney swept in so long I'm afraid of using my wood stove :tif:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Lacrosse posted:

I have firewood but haven't gotten my chimney swept in so long I'm afraid of using my wood stove :tif:

i always thought that was a scam

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Seattleite here lol I just placed an order for nonperishables, batteries, water, and a few other things in case of power outage. We have lanterns, plenty of blankets, meds, water storage, etc

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I just ordered a kerosene heater that should show up right after Christmas. I've done power outage in the snow before, I'm not gonna mess with that poo poo in "coldest I've ever experienced" weather.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Good thing I remembered to order some caps for my outside faucets. Can't imagine how nightmarish it must be for a plumber to have to crawl around in freezing muck under a house after a cold snap like this.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Guess I better get some candles and flowerpots

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Just fill all of your cups with water beforehand and you'll be fine

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Oh good that's the week I move to Portland from across the country.

Cool cool cool.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

SirPablo posted:

Seattle's all time low is 0°F. I hope they set an all-time high and low in the same year.

2021 - A RECORD YEAR

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

hifi posted:

i'm not a chimney expert here, but I do know that they need to be semi-regularly inspected. a hole in your chimney lining can quickly result in a house fire

House I'm in rn had a major fire due to a prior tenant ignoring that warning.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I'm not loving around and waiting this time. PNW isn't Minnesota. Our infrastructure is going to be all hosed up at that temperature. I'm just going to assume I'm having a power outage in freezing weather and plan around that.
I would absolutely plan for that, but we did get down to 0 in 2013 without much drama. It seems here the ice storms are more of an issue than our infrastructure being unable to function in the cold.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

im excited for it to be really really loving cold, not really, I hope it at least snows. But with temps that low we likely won't get much precipitation huh?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
America, a land of contrasts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

SirPablo posted:

is the white the path of destruction

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

goochtit posted:

is the white the path of destruction

That's the survivable zone

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

death with the red white and blue, not of the red white and blue

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirPablo posted:

Man these temperature dipoles/ocellations in the jet stream or whatever they're called are getting really crazy

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

OK baizuo posted:

Man these temperature dipoles/ocellations in the jet stream or whatever they're called are getting really crazy

Eh, it's northern hemisphere winter. It happens.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SirPablo posted:

Eh, it's northern hemisphere winter. It happens.

I mean, well yeah. Everyone knows which hemisphere is the better hemisphere.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Bob Socko posted:

Good thing I remembered to order some caps for my outside faucets. Can't imagine how nightmarish it must be for a plumber to have to crawl around in freezing muck under a house after a cold snap like this.

They'd just tell you 'ehh I may have an opening in February' if one even bothers to pick up the phone at all.
Or charge emergency weekend rates, that'll help with the nightmares.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
emergency rates

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Objective Action posted:

Cool cool cool.
Literally

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

pissinthewind posted:

im excited for it to be really really loving cold, not really, I hope it at least snows. But with temps that low we likely won't get much precipitation huh?
The super cold poo poo comes right after the warmer days that will bring some snow. Anyones guess as to how much. Hopefully it’s 2 feet and society breaks down.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I'm OK with 8ºF in Seattle as long as there's no freezing rain. That's the only situation I can see myself losing power in.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Wolfy posted:

I would absolutely plan for that, but we did get down to 0 in 2013 without much drama. It seems here the ice storms are more of an issue than our infrastructure being unable to function in the cold.

As long as we don't lose power the most newsworthy event would be that it got too cold for the MAX light rail trains to run or busses can't make it up a snow and ice covered hill.

e: or that lady who fell on her butt right after saying how the snow on the ground made a great surface to jog on

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 04:19 on Dec 23, 2021

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Looking forward to all the videos of people in Seattle and Portland trying to drive on icy hills

I'd like some snow, but not too much. Last year?? Or the year before? Whenever it snowed a bunch last, I had to run out and shovel a bunch off the roof when I noticed the bedroom door suddenly stopped being able to fully close

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

hifi posted:

Creosote build up and chimney fires are real.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

hifi posted:

Did you think Mary Poppins was lying to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I always wanted a chimney sweeping log as a kid, even though we didn't have a fireplace, I just saw a lot of ads for them on garbage daytime tv and thought they were neat :shobon: