Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still haven't come in first in a Tetris99 match, and it's kind of been driving me a bit nuts lately.

I get so close (between #2 and #4) and then get sent something like 16 lines of garbage. :negative:

Keep at it. I've won twice and I've got quite a few 2nd places under my belt, but I've never tried to win. Sometimes you're just in the groove and clearing things away effortlessly. Sometimes.

You don't need any strategies, just being good at Tetris should be enough eventually.

Inzombiac posted:

lmao if you're not just chucking in whatever looks neat and scarfing it down.

But a checklist would give you just a little extra to do. I don't know how hard it would be to make one either, but it would've been nice. Like the lack of a music player, let alone a Beastiary, in Octopath Traveller, just astonishing lacks of features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Blasphemous is great. I knew it was going to be a hard game going in, but I didn't do myself any favors by accidentally doing the areas 3-1-2 instead of 1-2-3. lol

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I took a break from SMTV, and am now pokemoning with my buddy, Turtwig. Got an egg to hatch!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've got 5 days to play some switch games with my little sister before she moves back across the country again. I haven't played a game other than AC and Runescape in months and have no idea what to do. Any recommendations?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I've got 5 days to play some switch games with my little sister before she moves back across the country again. I haven't played a game other than AC and Runescape in months and have no idea what to do. Any recommendations?

Anything Mario.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Thunder Bear posted:

All of this Picross talk reminds me that I bought Picross S a while ago and still haven't tried it. The fact that some of you dudes pop in here asking for hints is a little intimidating, but no one needs the brain workout more than I do.

There is a learning curve but after you start to understand how the game works, a lot of it becomes pattern recognition.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Have you done the classics on the SNES app? You can run through them pretty quickly even if you've never beaten them.

Yoshi's Island, Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and/or Super Metroid are there and terrific.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mandatory lesbian posted:

I ignored the story so like, idk the plot might suck. Too busy running up skyscrapers and jumping off the top

Why yes, I did play City of Villains...

Kinda glad I bought 4 and not 3 based on that kind of stuff.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Metroid Dread

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Internet Kraken posted:

Doom & Quake.

Look these are the only local multiplayer games I know.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Thunder Bear posted:

All of this Picross talk reminds me that I bought Picross S a while ago and still haven't tried it. The fact that some of you dudes pop in here asking for hints is a little intimidating, but no one needs the brain workout more than I do.

Don't worry - it will start you with a tutorial and 3x3 puzzles, and the learning curve is very gentle and gradual. There are some more advanced techniques you'll eventually need, but you'll get good at it over time and it becomes very zen.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Internet Kraken posted:

Every child could benefit from a crippling Diablo 2 addiction!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Internet Kraken posted:

If she is down for intense action: Crawl. Best couch co op I've played since Halo 1

If not: Mario Kart or Super Mario 3D World

If you have 40 hours to kill and you both love RPGs: Divinity Original Sin 2. I think this supports online multiplayer so you can resume later

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAx09yAsZvA

Should I add this to my backlog?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends how much you want to play a port of a mediocre PS2 JRPG I guess

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Social Animal posted:

Big Tournament Golf (renamed from Neo Turf Masters), Blazing Star, Magical Drop 3 (Money Puzzle Exchanger if you want more), Puzzle Bobble 2, Metal Slug series (5 is my favorite but most people love 3) and Shock Troopers. For fighting games Garou: Mark of the Wolves, The King of Fighters 98 or 2002, Last Blade 2 or Samurai Shodown 2. There's no online play so if you want that maybe skip the fighting games.

Thank you!

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

Thank you!

No problem let me know what you end up playing and liking.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Have you done the classics on the SNES app? You can run through them pretty quickly even if you've never beaten them.

Yoshi's Island, Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and/or Super Metroid are there and terrific.

As a big fan of your reviews of games, can you please move everything to the back and play Metroid Dread?

You seriously won't regret it. I'm telling you, you won't regret it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Started up Picross S4 and went straight to the 40x30 monstrosity unlocked with my S1 data… that beast took me 1hr 4min to complete. So satisfying though!

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
I made a Japanese account to get ESP Ra.De—any other Japan-only games I should pick up? I can navigate menus pretty well but I’m not looking for anything story-intensive.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Ugh I'm really about to buy and be disappointed by a $5 Torchlight 2 aren't i...

I know it's not really good but i REMEMBER liking it... :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For anyone having trouble reading Japanese, use Google Lens.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Morter posted:

Ugh I'm really about to buy and be disappointed by a $5 Torchlight 2 aren't i...

better than torchlight 3

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been going hard on the Fox in Space fan project and it has me itching to pull out my N64 and play Star Fox again. I played a handful of Dinosaur Planet back when it came out but that was the last game in the series I touched. Are any of the newer games worth checking out, like Assault or the remakes of 64?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Morter posted:

It's good but the Switch version has performance issues.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Arc Hammer posted:

I've been going hard on the Fox in Space fan project and it has me itching to pull out my N64 and play Star Fox again. I played a handful of Dinosaur Planet back when it came out but that was the last game in the series I touched. Are any of the newer games worth checking out, like Assault or the remakes of 64?

Assault was the last new one I enjoyed but anytime it put you on foot wasn't great.

The 3DS remake of the N64 version was fun. Star Fox 64 is still the best in the series.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Morter posted:

cant imagine playing this game w out mods tbh. Diablo 3 is half off i think if u can swing that much

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Man i should really replay dinosaur planet and see if its worth a drat as an adult. I feel like its kind of forgotten compared to the rest of gc's catalogue

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All I remember is the last minute Jamaican Andross reveal and the old velociraptor lady asking me how many scarabs I would like to gamble.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Arc Hammer posted:

StarFox Command was a pretty great DS game and is where a lot of ideas from StarFox 2 ended up going, ultimately. It's split up nicely and designed to be played in small chunks of time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fuligin posted:

Man i should really replay dinosaur planet and see if its worth a drat as an adult. I feel like its kind of forgotten compared to the rest of gc's catalogue

I remember a lot of hype for it leading up to what amounts to a pretty mediocre Zelda game with Star Fox stuff tacked on.

For a franchise that's a classic for me, Star Fox has had kind of a raw deal, relegated to spinoffs and third-party entries with half-baked canon baggage weighing it down Sonic style. At least Zero had the right idea to full on reboot it, despite having its own problems. (also like Sonic, lovely gimmick levels to pad out the playtime)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Chronojam posted:

StarFox Command was a pretty great DS game and is where a lot of ideas from StarFox 2 ended up going, ultimately. It's split up nicely and designed to be played in small chunks of time.

This was fun, I agree.

Barreft posted:

As a big fan of your reviews of games, can you please move everything to the back and play Metroid Dread?

You seriously won't regret it. I'm telling you, you won't regret it.

Haha, thanks! I know I’m bound to enjoy it. I’m having trouble mustering the will
to play Transistor so maybe I will just blitz through Metroid 3 and 4 so I can pick up 5.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Waffle! posted:

Blasphemous is great. I knew it was going to be a hard game going in, but I didn't do myself any favors by accidentally doing the areas 3-1-2 instead of 1-2-3. lol

truly top tier game. despite looking like a castlevania it plays way more like a metroid game with melee.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Assault was mainly held back by its controls. The GameCube did not have a good configuration or enough buttons for that kind of game. But it was a good core concept. It was also held back by GameCube being limited to tinier levels. But it was basically like a proto-Battlefront, would play great with a modern control set up like on the Switch and with levels designed that were bigger.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Internet Kraken posted:

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

Overcooked (also on sale ATM)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So my new favorite game right now is The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa. More people need to play this.

It's a beat em up game with a bunch of diverse fighting styles that you can learn, but it's so much more than that. If you wish there was a Yakuza game on the Switch then this would scratch that itch. It's a high school life sim where you can go to school, write research papers, date, play poil, gamble at poker, get a job and pawn items. You can watch movies, play videogames and read books. And you can beat people up.

It's Tokineki Memorial: Kunio Kun and it's on sale for about $9. Try it!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Walla posted:

So my new favorite game right now is The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa. More people need to play this.

It's a beat em up game with a bunch of diverse fighting styles that you can learn, but it's so much more than that. If you wish there was a Yakuza game on the Switch then this would scratch that itch. It's a high school life sim where you can go to school, write research papers, date, play poil, gamble at poker, get a job and pawn items. You can watch movies, play videogames and read books. And you can beat people up.

It's Tokineki Memorial: Kunio Kun and it's on sale for about $9. Try it!

This is the first I'm hearing (or remembering hearing) good things about it; I thought most people didn't like it?

Well, you've kind of sold me on it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Fuligin posted:

cant imagine playing this game w out mods tbh. Diablo 3 is half off i think if u can swing that much

tbh i have D3 and i'm sort of diablo'd out. I remember torchlight feeling accessible with regards to kills and skills so I figured it'd be a nice pick-up-n-play game, but if it hasn't aged well, then i'll pass

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is the first I'm hearing (or remembering hearing) good things about it; I thought most people didn't like it?

Well, you've kind of sold me on it.

Unlike Yakuza, it doesn't provide much direction at all. It's not bad, but I was put off by always feeling lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
my star fox opinions are as follows

1: very cool
2: neat and better looking than the first but shallow (for obvious reasons)
64: incredible
adventures: pretty but mediocre zelda clone, doesn't have much of what the average fan would enjoy
assault: flight feels slow and the on-foot stuff is clunky, but i like it. kind of a victim of the devs focusing too much on the multiplayer (which is good but still). best star wolf theme
command: neat story and mechanical ideas but plays like rear end
zero: very fun if you mesh with the unorthodox controls, though kinda brought down by a few too many gimmick levels and every boss being fought in all-range mode