Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
smh at all the merovingian haters. first time hes good in this whole series. loved his scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
He was easily one of the best and most memorable characters of the original trilogy

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Nuts and Gum posted:

He was easily one of the best and most memorable characters of the original trilogy

theres one good movie and two bad movies, and the merongivian was one of the many reasons why the last two sucked. good thing hes been redeemed here.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Start of the movie was unbridled brilliance, all the seething disdain about modern IP culture. Everything after Neo took the red pill was absolute trash that completely embodied what the first part of the movie was directly complaining about. Really loving weird, I wish theyd have come up with a movie that actually did the first 1/3 justice.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Chadzok posted:

Start of the movie was unbridled brilliance, all the seething disdain about modern IP culture. Everything after Neo took the red pill was absolute trash that completely embodied what the first part of the movie was directly complaining about. Really loving weird, I wish theyd have come up with a movie that actually did the first 1/3 justice.

i really liked the world building as well. the new "zion" they got was much cooler. honestly, i think the whole movie is cohesive and well done until the part right after trinity tells chad to gently caress off. thats when the movie is over and they have yet another action scene that is mostly there just because its a matrix sequel.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Also there was something really weird and cheap looking about the cinematography in a lot of scenes, I don't know how to explain it. It made the acting look really bad. I dunno, like some daytime television poo poo. Can someone who knows stuff explain what my monkey brain was reacting to?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The actual fighty fighty action scenes felt perfunctory in a way that didn’t really fit in a matrix movie aside from the moments when The Analyst went full Quicksilver and slowed everything down to a reverse, both in the garage with Trinity and in the coffee shop with everyone.

The Analyst is the most interesting character to think about IMO. The movie makes very clear what it thinks about the franchization of media and it’s enjoyable enough but NPH opining about how he made the Matrix more efficient by crushing dreams and encouraging people with mindless pleasures is very befitting a villain called The Analyst. He hasn’t even built the thing himself like The Architect, he just knows numbers and figured out the most effective way to oppress and exploit without triggering revolt. The meta stuff is very relevant to Hollywood and games and other media but as a villain representing a tool of capital The Analyst is a lot more relevant and interesting overall. The media stuff is just a part of the larger set of tools used to isolate and depress and exploit.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I really thought they’d retcon the whole “humans are batteries” thing. It always felt like they originally were going to say it was for parallel processing/biological computers but got changed for the sake of the late 90s audience.

Nah it’s super batteries now lol. Honestly all the meta poo poo in this movie makes me wonder if even the super battery thing is tongue in cheek because the whole NPH “emotions produce more energy” monologue actually makes sense if it’s about computing power from a stressed brain or whatever.

Anyways movie was pretty great! Much much better than I expected and I’m basically adding to the thread consensus that the story/worldbuilding was awesome, action kinda sucked, Hugo Weaving was sorely missed, Larry Fishburne ehh not so much.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Shiroc posted:

If the new Matrix requires Neo and Trinity to be close but not together, it is reasonable that having Smith also maintaining a semi antagonistic relationship plays into it as well.

Yeah, seems reasonable. Trinity was a regular at the coffee shop it seems and Smith being Smith would probably subconsciously reject a role that did not give him authority and power, so being Neo's boss makes sense and both characters are kept close to Neo with the Analyst personally keeping tabs as well. I forget now if Neo successfully committed suicide in a prior cycle (Bugs referring to seeing the real "Neo" briefly before he walked off a building) but perhaps this was the Analysts solution to Neo rejecting the Matrix? I think Bugs has seen multiple cycles since we see her spying on Trinity and being alarmed when things don't repeat how they're supposed to and the Analyst himself talks about prior attempts going wrong during the gruesome shots we see of Neo & Trinity being remade before he realizes how to make it work. Might be confused on the latter parts there but having to keep Smith close makes sense when compared to Trinity, yeah.

Fucker posted:

i really liked the world building as well. the new "zion" they got was much cooler. honestly, i think the whole movie is cohesive and well done until the part right after trinity tells chad to gently caress off. thats when the movie is over and they have yet another action scene that is mostly there just because its a matrix sequel.

I really would have liked a better look at the Machine civil war, even if it was just a Terminator-style future war segment. The clip we saw in the trailers had me excited that was going to be a setpiece but it turned out to basically be the whole thing. Certainly don't expect it to be a big focus but maybe 3-5 minutes of some Machine war spectacle would have been great, imo. I know this is exactly what you're complaining about regarding action scenes but thinking about it in a Terminator-like context is an exciting prospect.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I'm glad they spent all that money doing 13 takes of Neo and Trinity actually jumping off a real building!! when it looked like poo poo anyway and made zero sense outside of GIRL POWER. lmfao that ratm all girl cover band

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I thought I would not like this movie and I read all the spoilers before seeing it but I loved it.

I love how it's no longer the humans vs machines and that everything is blurred. I thought changing actors for the main characters would be lame but I loved it. I kinda wish everyone was recast outside the older characters that are now old. But I understand why they couldn't. Most of the same beats are from the first movie but not really, it really doesn't feel like a beat for beat remake. The only things I hated was after the movie had a long good segment where two or more characters talked there was a long drawn out acting scene but that's movies.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm glad they spent all that money doing 13 takes of Neo and Trinity actually jumping off a real building!! when it looked like poo poo anyway and made zero sense outside of GIRL POWER. lmfao that ratm all girl cover band

They literally took a leap of faith together which is what freed Trinity to save Neo and become his equal as far as 'powers'.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
gotta say i loved it, it's not as cool a say Reloaded or as a perfect action flick like the first Matrix was but it's the one sequel that comes close to capture that same galvanising feel the og did

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Goddamn that rocked. I think the only thing that didn't vibe with me was how perfunctory the denouement was, but most Wachowski movies function that way so that's a more of an aesthetic critic rather than anything and I liked Groff as nuSmith but knowing that it would've been Weaving if the scheduling had worked out hurts a bit.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Regarding the ending So humans and a chunk of the Machines are gonna go to war again, huh? If the new Matrix was running partly/mostly(?) from the the power of love between Neo and Trinity, then both getting unplugged from their pod takes away that power which should gently caress up the Machines and can be seen as an act of aggression, right?

The more I think about the movie, the less good it gets in my mind. If the entire movie was about the mystery of Neo and Trinity somehow coming back from the dead, it would have been a lot better rather than devolving into the extremely okayish 2nd half.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Shiroc posted:

They literally took a leap of faith together which is what freed Trinity to save Neo and become his equal as far as 'powers'.

Wouldn’t the one with muscle memory be better at it then someone who just started to believe 5 minutes ago?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Nuts and Gum posted:

Wouldn’t the one with muscle memory be better at it then someone who just started to believe 5 minutes ago?

Because the movie is explicit that Neo can't do everything he used to anymore but he's putting his belief into Trinity the way she had for him?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

CPFortest posted:

I think the only thing that didn't vibe with me was how perfunctory the denouement was, but most Wachowski movies function that way so that's a more of an aesthetic critic rather than anything

vis a vis apropos

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Neo's awakening in this one was hosed up and stilted so Trinity brings home the bacon now. The One is a product of conditions etc.

for the first time in 18 and a half years we can finally say...another good matrix movie

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Nicely balanced. As all things should be.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I liked it a lot . NPH was great, The Architect Analyst was a great villain, and I think a lot of people are misunderstanding Smith's predicament. Smith seems to be a more subtle subtext about the contempt for reboots - The Architect represents the studio forcing this reboot/sequel to boost 'energy' production ,(aka dolla dolla bills), he has to be there because he "needs to be" (because the fans want him there). If he 'kills Neo' (effectively killing the franchise) he gets to get out (not make these movies anymore)

edit: thinking about it more, I read Smith as Lana, especially considering the conversation with Keanu/Neo as the studio doing this with or without them

text editor fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 23, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The beginning of this movie was definitely Lana letting us know exactly what kind of bullshit goes on at Warner Brothers and I'm guessing someone has called the Wachowskis up about 200 times with an extremely bad Matrix 4 pitch, so this movie leans in.

The movie is fun but everything feels a little unearned and recasting Smith with a guy who absolutely does not project any Smithness was quite bizarre (though he is good in his own right). Recasting Lawrence Fishburne made some amount of sense given the story they wanted to tell, but if you can have other older actors, it seems like a missed opportunity to reunite the gang.

I want to know more about manta bird and its story.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Chadzok posted:

vis a vis apropos

Lol. Wrap up kinda short but that's how they do.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

text editor posted:

I liked it a lot . NPH was great, The Architect was a great villain, and I think a lot of people are misunderstanding Smith's predicament. Smith seems to be a more subtle subtext about the contempt for reboots - The Architect represents the studio forcing this reboot/sequel to boost 'energy' production ,(aka dolla dolla bills), he has to be there because he "needs to be" (because the fans want him there). If he 'kills Neo' (effectively killing the franchise) he gets to get out (not make these movies anymore)

edit: thinking about it more, I read Smith as Lana, especially considering the conversation with Keanu/Neo as the studio doing this with or without them

It doesn’t change your reading but fyi NPH is not the architect, and specifically talks about being better than him because of how efficient his matrix is.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

The Dave posted:

It doesn’t change your reading but fyi NPH is not the architect, and specifically talks about being better than him because of how efficient his matrix is.

yeah I meant to type analyst, my bad

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Was a massive fanboy of other movies growing up and really enjoyed what they did with this one. Ending felt a little meh but overall pretty good.

Spacebump posted:

Decided to rewatch some Animatrix shorts after enjoying the new Matrix so much. I forgot how awesome some of the shorts were. Now all I need is some Matrix Powerade.

Be cool if we got Animatrix Volume 2 or something. I really want to see a "Second Renaissance" type animation about what happened between Revolutions and Resurrection

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I basically thought this was worse than Revolutions.
Felt like bad fan-fiction, similar to how I felt about Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. There was no tension in any of the action scenes, too much technobabble, and none of the special effects or fight choreography wowed me like anything in the previous 3 films. In fact, the fight scenes were so poorly shot I could barely tell what was going on half the time. Reminded me of TENET's climax.

For me, The Matrix ended with the first one, it was a fluke.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's kind of hosed up that Lana went out of her way to actively mock the trans reading of the first movie.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

In the final scene in the analysts office, I am 100% sure that neo is CGI.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Necrothatcher posted:

It's kind of hosed up that Lana went out of her way to actively mock the trans reading of the first movie.
Speaking of odd “optics” for the movie to have, the villain is a therapist and the correct choice for the hero is to dump their psych meds and jump off a building?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

I think the movie was trying to grapple with the fact that absolutely every quality of the IP, including the trans reading of the original, could be mined for value by "the Suits." I didn't view it as mocking the reading itself, but struggling with what it means to be authentic if you're seemingly doing it in service to the Matrix.

I guess the big joke of the film, though, is that of all the one-liner "what is the Matrix really about?" quips we see from the game developers, literally no one IIRC ever says "a love story!!" And it's true, isn't it? No one was ever clamoring for more Neo and Trinity romance, so that's the one thing that Lana decided to make the core of this movie. I'm normally one to hate the "it was bad on purpose" edgy takes, but I genuinely feel like this movie is an impressive attempt at a big troll.

Martman fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 23, 2021

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

i read it as her mocking the idea that thats what they had as the chief goal of the movie when they were making it, not the reading in itself. note that that dialogue starts w/ the fat agent going "obviously, the matrix is all about...". the other stuff like crypto-fascism and a metaphor of capitalist exploitation all work well as valid interpretations of the original matrix too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Martman posted:

I guess the big joke of the film, though, is that of all the one-liner "what is the Matrix really about?" quips we see from the game developers, literally no one IIRC ever says "a love story!!"

Literally every single matrix film has had romance at the core of the story.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't think she was mocking the reading. She was talking about how the dopey marketing idiots were trying to figure out how to turn a subversive (video game) into a bland commercial product.

It's like the lorax book having a real actual environmental message and then the lorax eventually ending up on disposable diapers and SUV ads.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

Tenzarin posted:

Saying the first film had any romance is extremely bloody generous. They were in love because they were the protagonists and that was it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Right, even though no one's been asking for it! It's often one of the biggest criticisms of the whole thing.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I don't want to go all cinemasins or whatever and normally have no interest in picking at plotholes but there was one thing I didn't understand and wondered if I just missed the explanation:

they make a big deal about the particle-morpheus dude getting in through an air vent for the heist, which makes sense. but then the captain and some robots just show up there as well anyway - how did they get in?

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Turra posted:

Saying the first film had any romance is extremely bloody generous. They were in love because they were the protagonists and that was it.

it was still one of the big defining parts of the climax. ive never been a fan of either the romance or the chosen one aspect, but they are 1 to 1 w/ the original movie

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Lemon posted:

I don't want to go all cinemasins or whatever and normally have no interest in picking at plotholes but there was one thing I didn't understand and wondered if I just missed the explanation:

they make a big deal about the particle-morpheus dude getting in through an air vent for the heist, which makes sense. but then the captain and some robots just show up there as well anyway - how did they get in?

i think they wanted morpheus to go in to disable the macerators or w/e their called in the movie. a bunch of weird dungeon style hammers banging into each other like in a factory, so that bugs could get in. no idea what those macerators served for tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The beginning of this movie was definitely Lana letting us know exactly what kind of bullshit goes on at Warner Brothers and I'm guessing someone has called the Wachowskis up about 200 times with an extremely bad Matrix 4 pitch, so this movie leans in.

There was a non-Wachowski Matrix movie actively being developed between 2017-2019 until Lana came back on board and it was cancelled.

It was being written by Zak Penn, so imagine a Matrix movie written by someone with that list of credits.