Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Total Meatlove posted:

The SNP's handling of new COVID restrictions is so bad that they're now being bollocked for it by Celtic fans

Celtic fans regularly gurn about the SNP? Green Brigade in particular piss & moan about everything & anything. It's about as newsworthy as someone shouting gently caress The Pope at an Orange march.

Also not really sure what the SNP could do about COP26, it was the UK government who decided to host the thing in Glasgow, presumably as one of their kid-on sops that Scotland matters to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Communist Thoughts posted:

Look Queen Nic was quite clear in her last covid message, in fact she wants to make herself very clear.
1) There should be no household mixing around Christmas
2) You can still meet up for Christmas parties with your family

The cynicism of fans regarding the restrictions and whether the Six Nations match would be affected (:lol:) should make this thread proud.

forkboy84 posted:

Celtic fans regularly gurn about the SNP? Green Brigade in particular piss & moan about everything & anything. It's about as newsworthy as someone shouting gently caress The Pope at an Orange march.

Also not really sure what the SNP could do about COP26, it was the UK government who decided to host the thing in Glasgow, presumably as one of their kid-on sops that Scotland matters to them.

They do, but that's not Green Brigade. And in the same way that Boris Johnson was technically having an afternoon meeting at a place exempt from COVID regulations with staff, the optics of the SNP shutting down outdoor events despite any evidence for outdoor transmission, then working backwards to justifications for it, isn't great?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

My experience under Labour was shortly after they introduced the work capability assessments and hired ATOS to conduct them. At the time, I was in a long waiting queue for a neurology appointment, and thought that the ATOS assessment was a genuine medical assessment and would help me get treatment. The assessor was in a white coat, and I genuinely thought I was seeing a doctor.

He took my walking stick away, telling me I didn't need it, and got me to walk to the other side of the room and back.

I was denied disability benefits at a time when my illness had pretty much crippled me, and I eventually ended up in a homeless hostel (and given a top floor room when I struggled to climb stairs). I was only given this accommodation as I'd appealed the DWP decision and was waiting for my tribunal date. If I had lost my tribunal, I would have been given 24 hours notice to leave the hostel.

I thankfully won the tribunal in this timeline, but it could have very easily gone the other way.

So, New Labour wanted to kill me. They tried to kill me. They drew up and implemented a system that is designed to kill people like me, and has since killed tens of thousands of people like me - some of those being friends of mine.

Labour also drew up the blueprint for what eventually became Universal Credit.

Just because the Tories sped up the implementation of the social murders, it doesn't mean that New Labour had any different plans for people like myself.

7 or 8 years ago I also had a "medical assessment" with one of the government's pet agencies after I hit a trigger point for absences due to sickness. It might have been Serco instead of Atos; I don't recall now, but they're all the same. The assessor was asking what the absences were for and we got to a bout of gastroenteritis that caused diarrhoea. She asked where that had come from, and I offhandedly said "From my bottom" - as you do when you're a human being. She immediately went full Hitler and told me that she could recommend that I be terminated. Now I wasn't worried; my department manager knew that most of my absences were due to crash hypos at work that he'd witnessed first hand, and had told me before I went that it was just a formality because I'd been off sick five times in a year. But if he hadn't known that, and if she'd reported back as she threatened, I could have lost my job.

So the Tories haven't just sped up the process of killing people who are unemployed because of long term illnesses by getting them off benefits. They've also tightened the regime so that people with LTIs who are employed can be more easily put out of work - and from there, denied benefits as well. It's full on eugenics.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I knew one normal person, the bil of a close friend, who worked in dwp claims under post - coalition Tories, after being let go when the university did another round of layoffs to pay for the VCs latest six figure pay rise. He managed to make it a few months before having to resign, but it's taken him several years to get the alcoholism he developed under any sort of control, and last we spoke he still has the night terrors. For context, Kent has one of the least-punitive benefit due to being a Tory heartland and so "deserving". We still haven't completed the UC rollout, and my lifetime dla award was transferred to pip in 2020 with minimal fuss.

When my mum's pip claim was rejected at the upper tribunal (written solidly enough that the dwp had no choice but to insist it was entirely false, and that degenerative symptoms they'd previously acknowledged either no longer existed or had never existed), the DJ came over to personally apologise, that since her unspecified neurodegenerative illness didn't have a name he didn't feel able, under current guidance, to rule a clear inconsistency between her claim rejection and the medical facts. She needed to continue to work full time, and worsened. She survived a TIA this January after her boss insisted she be driven to hospital, where they quickly performed two carotid angioplasties. Having had suspected absence seizures in the recovery period she's lost her liscence, but at least her co-workers and manager demanded she be put back on the full time contract she previously opted out of (offered that or redundancy) so she can more easily schedule lifts and plan her retirement. She was again considered fit for work this year.

I have never heard anyone with first hand experience discuss the internal culture without getting the thousand yard stare. Labour may have their own culpabilities, and may well be fully supportive of the situation, and I've no problem with anyone who won't ever vote to put Rachel Reeves in power. But the Tories are the ones who have overseen the creation of a hostile environment for both the disabled people of the uk and all of their employees with any trace of compassion or decency - I've heard conservative voting family friends mutter that the people who enjoy working there ought to be put down. I've heard someone who works in immigration enforcement claim that dwp employees aren't right in the head. gently caress the DWP, and I hope the next poor bastard completely destroyed by those psychopaths, and wanting to make one last statement, thinks long and hard about which of them should be on fire.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/23/cross-channel-asylum-seekers-could-be-tagged-under-home-office-plans

quote:

People crossing the Channel in small boats to claim asylum could be tagged on arrival under Home Office plans, it has emerged.

The home secretary, Priti Patel, is expected to announce the plan early in the new year as part of her overhaul of the immigration system.

According to a government source familiar with the plan, ministers believe that making working-age people wear tags while their asylum claims are processed would make it harder for them to work illegally during this period – reducing the UK’s “pull factor”.

Ministers also believe that tags would stop people absconding during the application process. The government wants more people whose asylum applications fail to be removed from the country, although absconding is only one factor and there are significant legal reasons why removal numbers are low, including the UK’s post-Brexit withdrawal from the Dublin agreements, which enabled people to be returned to EU countries they had travelled through.

More than 27,000 people have arrived in the UK this year by crossing the Channel on small boats, up from 8,500 in 2020, and Patel has faced strong criticism, particularly from within the Conservative party, for not doing more to curb these numbers.

Under her “new plan for immigration”, linked to the nationality and borders bill, which begins its passage through the House of Lords in January, the Home Office wants to make illegal entry into the UK harder, simplify and speed up the processing of asylum claims and remove more people whose claims fail.

The plan to tag people whose claims are being considered, first reported in the Sun, is likely to be piloted before being rolled out more widely. Sources claim that new legislation is not required because powers to require asylum seekers to wear tags are already available.

Oh cool, they added an interim process to tide us over until the National Trebuchet is built to fire asylum seekers into the sun

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

There's a video of this guys routine in he thread so I thought I'd give it a look and I have no idea what anti-woke comedy is. He makes a joke about a vegan talking about being vegan a lot which, O.K. I guess. That environmentalists are middle class people who take daddy's ranger rover to protests which is a very old one. He also made a joke about plastic straws not being single use if you drink with them and they kill a turtle. He also did a bit about state schools being shitter than posh schools. Mostly it seemed like jokes people have been telling for years but updated for 2019. The more people use it the more I don't understand what "woke" means.

Also had my booster jab yesterday. Was a very long queue which is good I guess, at least people are getting their booster.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

bessantj posted:

There's a video of this guys routine in he thread so I thought I'd give it a look and I have no idea what anti-woke comedy is. He makes a joke about a vegan talking about being vegan a lot which, O.K. I guess. That environmentalists are middle class people who take daddy's ranger rover to protests which is a very old one. He also made a joke about plastic straws not being single use if you drink with them and they kill a turtle. He also did a bit about state schools being shitter than posh schools. Mostly it seemed like jokes people have been telling for years but updated for 2019. The more people use it the more I don't understand what "woke" means.

Also had my booster jab yesterday. Was a very long queue which is good I guess, at least people are getting their booster.

Yeah I tracked down a routine by a guy from the Comedy Unleashed thing, didn't watch it all but opened with basically "I'm opposed to mandatory vaxx but I am at least vaxxed" and then did a bit about the Pfizer vaccine being the better German one but being very picky about being kept in the fridge etc. Not exactly the best comedy I've ever seen but nothing so outrageous that it couldn't have come from Michael McIntyre tbh.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Surprise T Rex posted:

Yeah I tracked down a routine by a guy from the Comedy Unleashed thing, didn't watch it all but opened with basically "I'm opposed to mandatory vaxx but I am at least vaxxed" and then did a bit about the Pfizer vaccine being the better German one but being very picky about being kept in the fridge etc. Not exactly the best comedy I've ever seen but nothing so outrageous that it couldn't have come from Michael McIntyre tbh.

Aha! Proof that he's being censored and not able to tell the jokes he wants to!

Convex posted:

Article: The plan to tag people whose claims are being considered, first reported in the Sun, is likely to be piloted before being rolled out more widely. Sources claim that new legislation is not required because powers to require asylum seekers to wear tags are already available.

How strange, that in this situation ministers are saying "we don't need to make more laws, there's already a law for that" :thunk:

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Convex posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/23/cross-channel-asylum-seekers-could-be-tagged-under-home-office-plans

Oh cool, they added an interim process to tide us over until the National Trebuchet is built to fire asylum seekers into the sun

Perhaps we should make the tags star shaped. Would be very seasonal.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Radio 4 should just start broadcasting completely unedited episodes of Cum Town

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Zalakwe posted:

Perhaps we should make the tags star shaped. Would be very seasonal.

Nah it's going to be pierced through the ears.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Surprise T Rex posted:

I think the most anti woke thing he said was the he agreed with Donald Trump. The level of bravery that puts him in the same camp as only hundreds of millions of others, so brave.

His straw gag reminded me of a Christmas party a rugby club I belonged to put on. A friend of mine had gone up to get a drink for him and his girlfriend. As he was coming back he took a sip of her drink through a straw, the comedian they had on saw this and started in on how only women drink through straws and was my friend some sort of gay (though he used the F word.) Went on for about five minutes as well, prancing round the stage. About as funny as arse cancer but there you are, will this "Unsafe Space" show have such amazing comedy?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

bessantj posted:

Was an hour and 45 queue at the Cardiff bay MVC yesterday. In the rain obviously

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Welp I just very briefly crossed the high street and going by what the shops looked like I guess we’re going for herd immunity again?

God help our retail workers, and gently caress the bosses who haven’t reintroduced limits on numbers in their shops, which appears to be “all of them”

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Was an hour and 45 queue at the Cardiff bay MVC yesterday. In the rain obviously

Mine wasn't as long, still spent about 25 mins in the rain, about the same inside then.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Soricidus posted:

Welp I just very briefly crossed the high street and going by what the shops looked like I guess we’re going for herd immunity again?

God help our retail workers, and gently caress the bosses who haven’t reintroduced limits on numbers in their shops, which appears to be “all of them”

There is a new "hilarious jape" old men are doing. They go up to masked supermarket staff unmasked and go, "can you tell me where object is? *cough* *cough*" in their faces then walk away chuckling. Happening to mini about 3 times a shift and the place is rammed with unmasked absolute fuckwads who don't want to do home delivery when there are slots still available.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
What a hosed up, twisted, palsied soul you must have to do poo poo like that. It's genuinely baffling to me

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

learnincurve posted:

There is a new "hilarious jape" old men are doing. They go up to masked supermarket staff unmasked and go, "can you tell me where object is? *cough* *cough*" in their faces then walk away chuckling. Happening to mini about 3 times a shift and the place is rammed with unmasked absolute fuckwads who don't want to do home delivery when there are slots still available.

That's loving horrible. So sorry for your kid.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

so looks like the ladbaby nonce is mad that Kunt and the gang are pushing for a no 1

turns out he's a tory voter, surprising no one. always knew he was a wrongun

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Jesus, that's terrible, do they get thrown out?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

bessantj posted:

Mine wasn't as long, still spent about 25 mins in the rain, about the same inside then.

The queue at the front of the building was pretty big when you arrived, but as you walked round the corner of the building the full horror of hundreds and hundreds of people snaking round the car park revealed itself

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
During the scary initial deserted-streets-NHS-rainbows part of the pandemic I had a passenger in my taxi tell me had COVID, cough on me, then go "Hey man sharing's caring lolololol". He was very surprised when I hauled him out the cab and gave him a kicking.

He was also very surprised when he reported it to the police and they went "lol it was self defence, we're not investigating".

He was also very surprised when he complained to the taxi office and they went "oh cool, we're banning you".

He was also very surprised when he complained to the local council licensing board, and they went "well what did you expect to happen?"

He was, of course, the kind of middle-class-six-figures-at-daddy's-firm-Audi-A4-on-the-monoblock-driveway oval office that has never faced consequences in their life. The pandemic's basically been the first time Bad Stuff has been happening here, rather than just on the news, and it's bent a lot of people in a very weird way.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Going to Asda yesterday was a mistake. I think I saw every possible position that could be classed as "wearing a mask" apart from the one that covers the nose and mouth, even the staff. People have a death wish.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
She's been sick maybe 50% of the time since working there because of this, and that's being generous, it could be as much as 70%. Not covid just irritating colds and light flu because if you have a cough and you cough in someone's face you are giving it to them, you disgusting old baggage.

Other one is unmasked dipshits coughing on busses and sitting there aggressively challenging anyone to say something like what, cover your mouth if you cough shitstain , 5 year olds can do that.

I have an good story though.

Yesterday there was a unmasked old man who went round closing the windows on this empty, but for him and minicurve, bus. Bus driver pulls over and goes round opening them again to a whining "but aaaam cooold" from the old fart to a "I don't care, I don't want to catch covid".

Bus sets off, old man goes to close the window again and the bus driver says if touches it he's being kicked off the bus. Old man closes the window. Bus driver stops bus opens door and says this bus isnt moving with him on it. 5 mins later with much grumbling the old guy stomps off the bus and starts the long walk home.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

What a hosed up, twisted, palsied soul you must have to do poo poo like that. It's genuinely baffling to me

literally attempted murder imo

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

bessantj posted:

Jesus, that's terrible, do they get thrown out?

Supermarket policy (in most places) is not to challenge unmasked or aggressive customers but to inform a manager, but no one does because of the hassle.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Omicron is here and no-one gives a poo poo, we're speedrunning the 100% Covid run and there's nothing we can do to stop it, so I recommend just letting go and pivoting to total ambivalence.

Oh, you lost your mum to an unfortunate breakthrough case/non-Covid reason but the hospital was full? That's a shame. Did you take any precautions whatsoever in the past few months? No? Oh well tough poo poo then, go cry about it somewhere else.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Convex posted:

literally attempted murder imo

Agreed.

Much heartened by LC and Skulker's accounts, though. Good on that bus driver. Good on you, Skulker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bessantj posted:

There's a video of this guys routine in he thread so I thought I'd give it a look and I have no idea what anti-woke comedy is. He makes a joke about a vegan talking about being vegan a lot which, O.K. I guess.

You may or may not know that one of Nazi cartoonist Stonetoss's gateway jokes was a vegan not being sure he could win the World Insufferability Championship because his opponent was a cyclist. Now he isn't wrong about that - in fact it's a good cartoon for his purposes because it does it very well - but wherever I see it I feel like the comedian is testing the water to lead up to "... and those blacks, hey?"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
JSA/UC: ime the whole point is to punish vulnerable people earnestly seeking help. It's all smoke and mirrors. You don't have to apply to poo poo, you just have to look like you are. Put on a shirt, adopt all the class coded etiquette you can, and invent a bunch of stuff to lie about in the paperwork. The game was always rigged and everyone in the jobcentre knows it. They don't want to punish 'good sorts' - i.e. middle class types fallen on a brief period of unemployment. Knowing the unofficial rules behind the rules, which totally coincidentally are the same ones that apply to most middle class jobs, is 90% of the battle. If you try to play the game honestly you've already lost.

Similarly, a friend has gone through various disability assessments and insists that approaching them as an honest assessment is the worst thing you can do. Never try your best to do what you're asked, always do the worst you can. If you struggle to just about raise your arm, you've struggled to kick yourself in the teeth.

learnincurve posted:

100% taking my own mask off and coughing on their face while mentioning how peaky I've been feeling if someone pulls that bullshit on me. I imagine they'd change their tune very quickly. People seem completely unable to understand that I don't wear a mask for my own protection.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

The queue at the front of the building was pretty big when you arrived, but as you walked round the corner of the building the full horror of hundreds and hundreds of people snaking round the car park revealed itself

Mine wasn't as bad as that, but as I said at least people are getting their booster.

learnincurve posted:

Supermarket policy (in most places) is not to challenge unmasked or aggressive customers but to inform a manager, but no one does because of the hassle.

This is why I don't think I could work in those places anymore. You can't just cough in people's face and expect them not to react.

Jedit posted:

You may or may not know that one of Nazi cartoonist Stonetoss's gateway jokes was a vegan not being sure he could win the World Insufferability Championship because his opponent was a cyclist. Now he isn't wrong about that - in fact it's a good cartoon for his purposes because it does it very well - but wherever I see it I feel like the comedian is testing the water to lead up to "... and those blacks, hey?"

I'd never thought of it that way. Mostly it makes me think about how old the joke it, probably been round since the 80s if not before. Like a comedy Ready Player One.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesco this morning was 6-8 no mask, 1 nose commando and the rest were masked, damned place was heading towards packed as 8am, very few staff were masked. :rolleyes:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do vegans talk about being vegan all the time? In my experience they talk about it as much as people with food allergies or people who keep kosher* do, usually when ordering food. And then a bunch of other pricks feel the need to go on about bacon as a reaction.

*I doubt he'll be doing any jokes about that, but he will do the exact same jokes about halal.

Skeletome posted:

so looks like the ladbaby nonce is mad that Kunt and the gang are pushing for a no 1

:same:

Hope Kunt beats him.

How the gently caress can you be like "buy my whimsical songs about sausage rolls, all the money goes to foodbanks" and then vote for the people that make sure that people have to rely on foodbanks? What a wanker.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

bessantj posted:

I got 2 mins into the first youtube video I found and we're already deep within TERF ISLAND territory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt9lZCiGdo4&t=119s

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Spangly A posted:

Labour may have their own culpabilities, and may well be fully supportive of the situation, and I've no problem with anyone who won't ever vote to put Rachel Reeves in power. But the Tories are the ones who have overseen the creation of a hostile environment for both the disabled people of the uk and all of their employees with any trace of compassion or decency - I've heard conservative voting family friends mutter that the people who enjoy working there ought to be put down.
I forgot to mention, but after I moved here I started claiming for a short while before getting a job - would have been around 2011. Things were bad but I was lucky enough to get a very friendly guy called Wayne, huge lad but he seemed to be trying. I got the impression that he was an old-school, nod & wink type who was nudging me down the proper channels because I'm lucky enough to speak middle class naturally. I wasn't signing on long because a family friend gave me a job for a while but the restrictions were a lot tougher and he at least seemed sorry about that.

When I lost the job and tried to sign back on, the whole workfare / quotas / UC change had happened and was in the news. I got wayne again. I would describe him as having had the soul sucked out of him. He was lifelessly dragging himself through a script until I started talking about the restrictions on the jobs I could do, and he instantly started talking about referring me for assessment.

In the interrim between the two periods I'd gotten married, which means I wouldn't get any money from them anyway, so I noped out and went self-employed.

The quotas in particular seem to have destroyed any staff who had a non-punitive mindset and driven them out. All that's left are either ideological bastards or people who need the money and can't afford not to meet quotas.

I know this is going to sound like naïvety, especially in light of what fuctifino posted, but I feel like under Labour there were at least some staff who viewed it possible to help. There were of course cunts ruining people's lives, but there was space in the system for people to be compassionate.

The reality of UC as implemented by the tories is that there is no space for compassion. Structurally it's absolute brutal, and the sociopathic ruleset means anyone with a shred of empathy leaves or is hollowed out.

As I said before, I'm not saying it was great under New Labour or that they didn't open the door for this. But for fucks sake the tories blasted through that door in a monster truck and set fire to the room.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
that young woman in the supermarket should carry around a thing of dettol spray and spray it in the faces of people who cough on her imo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
TBH I wouldn't be able to stop myself just straight-up gobbing in the face of someone who did that to me. It's literally the same thing.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Skeletome posted:

Where have you seen this?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Skulker posted:

During the scary initial deserted-streets-NHS-rainbows part of the pandemic I had a passenger in my taxi tell me had COVID, cough on me, then go "Hey man sharing's caring lolololol". He was very surprised when I hauled him out the cab and gave him a kicking.

He was also very surprised when he reported it to the police and they went "lol it was self defence, we're not investigating".

He was also very surprised when he complained to the taxi office and they went "oh cool, we're banning you".

He was also very surprised when he complained to the local council licensing board, and they went "well what did you expect to happen?"

He was, of course, the kind of middle-class-six-figures-at-daddy's-firm-Audi-A4-on-the-monoblock-driveway oval office that has never faced consequences in their life. The pandemic's basically been the first time Bad Stuff has been happening here, rather than just on the news, and it's bent a lot of people in a very weird way.

I hope you were picking him up from or taking him home. Not so you could do anything with that knowledge, but it'd be nice to think of this git with the fear of god in him evermore that a violent proletarian might know where he lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

learnincurve posted:

To play devil's advocate on that one though, it was around the mid 2000s when it became a thing where people would "self statement" their kid with autism and apply for DLA, thus loving it up for the rest of us and giving them an excuse to be dicks.
Could you elaborate on that? Because it was my understanding that it used to be that you would get diagnosed (by an educational psychologist in my case and by a doctor in my uncle's case), and then take the report to the DWP. As far as I was aware you needed a diagnosis from a professional, or at least if you went in with your reports that would be accepted as proof.

Now we have a situation where the DWP do their own assessments, and generally the first line of refusal is done by people with 2 weeks training who look up rain man on wikipedia and decide it's not that, because you didn't 'look' autistic on the day. You can go in with all the professional prep you like but these dipshits can just decide you looked too happy, or were able to complete basic tasks once regardless of how long it took or how much pain it caused, and over-rule the diagnoses of GPs, consultants and trained diagnosticians.