Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Davros1 posted:

For "The Stolen Earth", when the Doctor and Donna arrived at The Shadow Proclamation, RTD's plan was for it to feature representatives of every alien that had been seen in the new series since the beginning ... and when the budget came back, it got cut down to a couple of Judoon. :)

My uncle who works at the BBC says Chibnall’s problem is he writes tight coherent scripts that fail to spend all of the budget. So a bunch of random extra flashy nonsense has to get added at the last minute.

(I don’t have an uncle who works for the BBC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Another one I forgot is when she says "sawr" for "saw". If she was established as being from the Northeast, like NYC or Boston, that might be excusable. But since Peri's supposed to be from Pasadena...eh, not so much. :v:

One I caught on initial watch was the opening bits of Caves Of Androzani where she says the word "glass" in a British way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ll never understand why JNT didn’t just hire an American actress. There’s loads living in the UK, working, going through RADA, etc.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My favorite "American" accents were in the BF story "Red Dawn". They kept pronouncing "NASA" as "Nassau"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

I’ll never understand why JNT didn’t just hire an American actress. There’s loads living in the UK, working, going through RADA, etc.
In Canadian productions, you have to justify every hire from another country to the government. I bet the Beeb being run *by* the government would make this worse.

Though I have little doubt there are Americans with accents who are also citizens over there, which just brings us back to the original question.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The_Doctor posted:

At the time, Equity (the actors' union) had pretty strict rules and quotas regarding hiring foreign actors before British ones, even to play characters of the same foreign nationality. It's why half the Colonial Marines in Aliens are played by Brits, or Americans who'd been UK-resident for long enough to get their Equity cards.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
trying to hear her accent, found this doctor who amv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfzGwf3j92U

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

In Canadian productions, you have to justify every hire from another country to the government. I bet the Beeb being run *by* the government would make this worse.

Though I have little doubt there are Americans with accents who are also citizens over there, which just brings us back to the original question.

The BBC isn't run by the government

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1471790676652273668
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5lMXtPIpcE

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

It's a leak from the New Years' special: Cyberwoman Part 2.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
After Turkish Star Wars, Turkish Doctor Who was inevitable.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1471857774111952902

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I didn't know they both found and colorized the missing episodes of The Invasion :v:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I didn't know they both found and colorized the missing episodes of The Invasion :v:

Finally, we have the missing Cybermen lore that has been the focus of debate for 40-odd years - we can all go home, at last

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

should come with an exclusive Tom Baker Dressed As a Clown variant

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

JoJosSiwaAdventure posted:

should come with an exclusive Tom Baker Dressed As a Clown variant

I think it should come with An Actual Tank, We Swear.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Finally, we have the missing Cybermen lore that has been the focus of debate for 40-odd years - we can all go home, at last

Also, what was that lady expecting, giving her Cyberhusband a gold wedding band?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

That's been increasingly hard to argue as time goes by

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I had most of the K-1 BAF, but I never found Magnus Greel. Glad he’s getting another outing.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Division made a really strange decision the first time they imprisoned Azure.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Mr Beens posted:

No, they've just appointed it's entire management and editorial team.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Not that anybody cares, but for my rewatch of 1980s DW, at the moment I'm about halfway through Vengeance on Varos. Many say it's a classic! :v:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedWho/status/1472948463625293831?t=h0yJTDrUCuwV5K4cfJNVHg&s=19

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hahaha, that's great.

I will stress yet again though that as somebody who really couldn't stand Adric, I did think he had a good dynamic with Tom Baker - his kind of dumb teenager stupidity kind of worked well with Baker's Doctor being worn down but still having such a dominating personality.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

For Dalek Day 2021, we have Sophie Aldred reading Father of the Daleks from The Wintertime Paradox

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I started watching Series 12, got through Spyfall 1 and 2... besides them not being particularly great, was it just me or were a lot of plot points oddly familiar to Curse of Fatal Death?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mr Beens posted:

Is it accountable to the government? I clearly have no idea how it actually works.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1473684767489019921?s=20

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Is it accountable to the government? I clearly have no idea how it actually works.

Someone will probably explain it better than me, but they're essentially a public service. They have a charter to run TV and radio channels for every demographic of the UK; they're supposed to cater to everyone; they should be informative and entertaining to all walks of life, rather than just churning out the same thing that'd appeal to a specific group of people.

And because they have this 'public service' aspect, they're allowed to effectively level a tax on the nation; you're required to have a TV licence to even use a television in your home, and the money that makes is a good chunk of what keeps them running (along with sales from things like DVDs and merch). This is why Brits will moan about 'I pay my licence fee for this poo poo?' and so on.

It used to be that a certain percentage of what they show has to be made in-house too, rather than just filling airtime with syndicated shows from the US. I don't know if that's still a rule, or just a guideline.

In return as well, this means BBC channels don't endorse products or make money from advertising; there's no ad breaks (other than to tell you what BBC shows are coming up later), and they go to great lengths to not have any product placement in their shows, replacing popular brands with generic products, or the brand will be removed - so people in Eastenders might be eating cornflakes, but it won't say 'Kelloggs' on the box.

The closest US analog would be PBS; TV broadcast to be entertaining and educational, not for-profit, but there's none of the fundraising stuff or telethons to keep themselves on the air.

e: So in terms of the government, they're not a state channel or anything, but they require the goodwill of the party in power to keep operating; if they were too outspoken about the Tories, for instance, you start getting rumblings about how they should be privatized or done away with. Effectively, they're supposed to be politically impartial, though that's not always been the case in recent years.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 23, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rusty is getting ahead of the curve and has already written several episodes of S14.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The top of the BBC, and especially in their news division, are stuffed full of Tories. They were so biased against Corbyn's Labour, it was insane.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

Rusty is getting ahead of the curve and has already written several episodes of S14.

Trying to build up a buffer now for when he gets overwhelmed :shobon:

Edit: Also just want to stress again that It's A Sin was absolutely fantastic and well worth watching. It's only 5 episodes so it doesn't take long to get through and it's really, really, really good (and the final episode is a loving masterpiece).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wolfechu posted:

Effectively, they're supposed to be politically impartial, though that's not always been the case in recent years.
Thanks for the write-up. Some I knew, but I learned some new bits. But as for this one part, I will never understand how people think not being political is a real thing that's A.) desirable or B.) literally possible, but more likely it's all window dressing to conceal their actual hegemonic political stance of "old things good and therefore not political, new, confusing things bad and therefore political."

Calling me a rapist by platforming an actual, literal cis rapist is an apolitical act, evidently.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Dabir posted:

The top of the BBC, and especially in their news division, are stuffed full of Tories. They were so biased against Corbyn's Labour, it was insane.

LividLiquid posted:

Thanks for the write-up. Some I knew, but I learned some new bits. But as for this one part, I will never understand how people think not being political is a real thing that's A.) desirable or B.) literally possible, but more likely it's all window dressing to conceal their actual hegemonic political stance of "old things good and therefore not political, new, confusing things bad and therefore political."

Calling me a rapist by platforming an actual, literal cis rapist is an apolitical act, evidently.

No disagreement here on either count. In terms of being apolitical, that's what the BBC supposedly strives toward, and it might have even managed that at some point, but not in my lifetime. And the last few years have been even worse.

Mind, they weren't alone on the Corbyn thing, the entire British media seemed to have their knives out for him from day one.

At least Laura Kuenssberg is leaving, she's been the biggest Tory cheerleader in the BBC. Although I dread to think what we'll get in her place.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Dabir posted:

Yeah, the upper echelons of BBC News are dominated by Tory appointees and people who were openly involved in the party (Nick Robinson, formerly the chief political editor, was the head of the Young Conservatives), or after leaving go through the revolving door to work at Tory HQ. And yet there are still people who insist the BBC is full of Marxists and demand it be purged and made even more right-wing. It's insane.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
 Laura Kuenssberg is currently the BBC's main voice talking about the Tory Christmas Party mess, which is weird because an unbiased news service wouldn't usually have someone who took part in the crime be their reporter on the crime.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's definitely not confined to the news department though. This is from just yesterday:
https://twitter.com/chortle/status/1473590865893466114

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Season 17 Trailer

With another release of Shada to go with it in case you missed it before, how nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.

Vinylshadow posted:

Season 17 Trailer

With another release of Shada to go with it in case you missed it before, how nice

At this exponential rate, by 2032 the only Doctor Who available be different versions of Shada.