Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

as a book purist i want to only see robert jordan's kinks on screen

this is in no way actually my kink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Erm, yes they did. There was the Lesser Blight, which was stomped clean, they had the Consolidation (or Conquest) which was referred to as a continent-spanning civil war.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/The_Conquest

It's another form of decline, but in a moral sense rather than a literal one.

The Conquest happened when Hawkwing's armies landed. The full integration took 300ish years, but if we push it out to 350 years for full integration (idk somewhere around 231 NE?), that means that there was a unified Seanchan empire under Hawkwing's descendants for over 700 years of relative peace. Eye starts in 998, and the series concludes at year 1000. There is a Seanchan general who says he missed the end of the Consolidation by two hundred years. If we're going to go so far as to just say that is a perfectly accurate statement for when the last rebellion was, that means that the Empire was continent spanning, without any rival nations, for two full centuries before Eye.

Even if we assume that the majority of the previous 200 years was relatively tranquil, consider what happened within the last 100 years before the series: Whitecloaks taking Amadicia, the fall of Malkier, the Whitecloak War, the third Andoran Succession War, and the Aiel War. That's not even counting any normal politicking or skirmishing.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I'll reserve judgment until I see it in action on screen, but lmao if they replace the damane collars with giant pacifiers.

Why is this thread so weird about damane, anyway? The Seanchan are slavers, and bad people, and unsympathetic antagonists for the majority of the books.

It's the internet of 2020s: if you show or write about anything it means you as author are 100% in favor of it, no matter how clearly you say it's a bad thing.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Ep 8 promo/leaks:

Woof this show hosed up the Seanchan costuming. Those outfits are just what Texans wear as everyday attire???

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

It's the internet of 2020s: if you show or write about anything it means you as author are 100% in favor of it, no matter how clearly you say it's a bad thing.

I see this argument a lot, and it's utter bullshit. I can dislike the presence of objectionable content without thinking that the author endorses it.

If Darth Vader graphically flensed each and every one of Leia's toes, I'm going to find it unnecessarily gross and unpleasant to watch. Yes we all know Vader is the bad guy, and that Lucas probably doesn't endorse foot mutilation. That in itself doesn't make it artistically justified.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I see this argument a lot, and it's utter bullshit. I can dislike the presence of objectionable content without thinking that the author endorses it.

If Darth Vader graphically flensed each and every one of Leia's toes, I'm going to find it unnecessarily gross and unpleasant to watch. Yes we all know Vader is the bad guy, and that Lucas probably doesn't endorse foot mutilation. That in itself doesn't make it artistically justified.

Say whatever you want, but you've just outed yourself as a foot mutilation fetishist by bringing it up out of nowhere.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Synastren posted:

The Conquest happened when Hawkwing's armies landed. The full integration took 300ish years, but if we push it out to 350 years for full integration (idk somewhere around 231 NE?), that means that there was a unified Seanchan empire under Hawkwing's descendants for over 700 years of relative peace. Eye starts in 998, and the series concludes at year 1000. There is a Seanchan general who says he missed the end of the Consolidation by two hundred years. If we're going to go so far as to just say that is a perfectly accurate statement for when the last rebellion was, that means that the Empire was continent spanning, without any rival nations, for two full centuries before Eye.

There are definitely rebellions/uprisings occurring much more recently than 200 years ago. According to the WoT wiki, Karede served during the Muyami Uprising and the Jianmin Incident. There are other mentions elsewhere of events that would be considered civil war or rebellion (usually a general or nobles rising up to try to claim the Crystal Throne).

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

This is interesting. It looks like season 2 has gotten itself more funding than season 1. There's been a flurry of interviews and social media posts from amazon executives in the last couple days talking about the success of the show.

This one with Vernon Sanders, co-head of TV at Amazon Studios says this about season 2:

Vernon Sanders posted:

Wheel Of Time is one of our most expensive shows that we've ever made," he replied. "So we are really proud of the investment and we think that it shows on screen, and we're spending more in season two than season one

https://www.ign.com/articles/wheel-of-time-expensive-shows-amazon

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
drat, they must have been really impressed with the early cuts of season 1. Hope that means they do the Battle of Falme justice :hellyeah:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

This is the head of Amazon Studios

https://twitter.com/JSalke/status/1473701134112022539

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

And this is Ukonwa Ojo - Chief marketing Officer, Jennifer Salke - Head, Amazon Studios, Rosamund, and Mike Hopkins - Senior Vice President, Prime Video and Amazon Studios. I had no idea all these suits were at the premiere.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah, WoT is tracking to be Amazon’s biggest mainstream breakthrough. It might get eclipsed by LoTR next year but there’s no way they’re going to pull back from it in the short term.

It ate the Witcher’s lunch for sure , and it’s even beating Hawkeye in a bunch of markets.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

VanillaGorilla posted:

It ate the Witcher’s lunch for sure , and it’s even beating Hawkeye in a bunch of markets.

I don't think we can really say this for sure, since all we have right now is Parrot Analytics, which doesn't track viewership, Neilson's data, which only is US and only goes up to viewership in the first 3 days, TV Time, which showed it below Hawkeye in all tracked markets (but it clearly greatly underestimated WoT in the US by Neilson's data), and piracy, which had it substantially behind Hawkeye (though this obviously can't be 1 to 1). Next week we can see how Hawkeye's launch went in the US at least. And in a month we can see how The Witcher season 2's launch went in the US.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I think it's safe to say The Wheel of Time has met or exceeded expectations for Sony Pictures Television and Amazon Studios.

This youtuber has an insider on the production who feeds him info and he said in one of his videos that we can tell season 3 is set to film as soon as S2 wraps because of production company contracts and stuff.

https://twitter.com/WoTUp5/status/1471821772831997955

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Hexel posted:

I think it's safe to say The Wheel of Time has met or exceeded expectations for Sony Pictures Television and Amazon Studios.

Oh definitely, and is shaping up to be one of the most successful Prime Originals, if not THE most successful. I was just saying that the narrow claim about outperforming Hawkeye and The Witcher is currently unsubstantiated. The Witcher is Netflix's 3rd most successful launch ever according to Netflix's Top 10, and Netflix has a far bigger Platform than Amazon.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
As long as it does well enough for the people in charge to green light the whole thing and give it an appropriate budget I personally don't care what it might or might not do better than. I just wanna see what merch they gonna eventually release. Come on Forsaken totems! I want a tiny Sammael!

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

Oh, I think people missed this --

There was a neat interview with Harriett in the local Charleston paper back in November:

Not sure if it's paywalled or not though

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

As long as it does well enough for the people in charge to green light the whole thing and give it an appropriate budget I personally don't care what it might or might not do better than.

It's this. As long as it continues to produce well enough for them to ensure it sees it's finished that's all I really care about.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Judkins and Logain Q&A today

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1474032472903979008

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Oh poo poo ya'll Mat Thom and Noal ( who i am pretty sure is Jain Farstrider) just rescued Moraine and are fleeing. poo poo got real ya'll.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Hexel posted:

:stonk: they're coming

They're not the only ones :heysexy:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay I finished Towers of Midnight , it was really loving good. drat it moves fast! I really enjoyed it overall. A lot of storylines came together and were finally resolved. I particularly like that we spent more time with Zen Rand who is definitely different. Here are my overall thoughts

I loving knew Noam was Jain Farstrider. I figured that out a while back but it made total sense but also Mat apparently knew this whole time?

Aviendha's loving vision of the Aiel and the future were badass and terrifying, not sure if that's what the future holds for the Aeil it would be pretty disappointing if that was the case.

Speaking of the Seanchan , of course Elaida gives Seanchan the ability to travel so now poo poo is going to be doubly hosed.

Rand taking on a whole army of Trollocs and loving decimating them with the one power was insane. Rand is way more powerful now than before!

Lan actually has a story! Its a short one but his fated ride through the borderlands to Tarwins Gap and then his fateful charge was really good. Although Lan is kind of a idiot.

Some really great stuff with Perrin! I am surprised! It was really good that him and Galad met up , he reconciled himself with the wolf and found a balance and now he has a power wrought hammer to smash people with. That was especially good.

loving Mat! I was not expecting the rescue of Moraine this book. I thought that would occur in the very last book. However the whole story was intense. Great story and Mat faced a gholam and killed it or at least got rid of it forever. That was also really good.

Finally that loving LETTER. MAT WHY DID YOU NOT OPEN THE GODDAMN LETTER.

Anyway Towers of Midnight was really good and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Which means I only have 1 more book to go( I guess I'll read New Spring after I finish the series).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
You probably already know this but the last three books were originally intended by Jordan to be one book

It's completely unrealistic but that's what he said, though I think a lot was in response to people after the slog

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Hexel posted:

This youtuber has an insider on the production who feeds him info and he said in one of his videos that we can tell season 3 is set to film as soon as S2 wraps because of production company contracts and stuff.

https://twitter.com/WoTUp5/status/1471821772831997955

Fingers crossed they bump the episode order for each season up to 10.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Finally that loving LETTER. MAT WHY DID YOU NOT OPEN THE GODDAMN LETTER.

Lol, one of the best reveals in the series. And I put the blame essentially on Verin misreading Mat's character. Her relying essentially on his curiosity was a bad call. I know she didn't necessarily know Mat that well, but if she had said all you have to do is wait X days and deliver to Elayne, Mat would have done it. Or wait X days, open and read, and give to Elayne, Mat would have done it. It was her condition that Mat had to swear to follow whatever the letter said when he read it that put him on the defensive and outweighed any curiosity.

Mat is curious, but hates being coerced into doing things even more, especially by a bloody Aes Sedai.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

To be fair, Verin was operating off of her knowledge of Book 2 Mat, which was the last time she really had anything to do with him directly. Her plan probably would have worked on the boy dumb enough to grab a cursed dagger.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hollismason posted:

Aviendha's loving vision of the Aiel and the future were badass and terrifying, not sure if that's what the future holds for the Aeil it would be pretty disappointing if that was the case.

It's so bleak and so awesome and so awful. One of my favorite parts of the last books.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like the given implication after that vision in that it's possible to change things if the people involved actively go out of their way to do it. it works well as a thing to scare them into action in various ways and once they've taken steps you get this sense that there's no telling what the future will hold now that they've moved beyond the state they had been existing in at that point.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just got to Faile's introduction in TDR. I like her spunky nature here. I don't remember much about her aside from Perin smelling her emotions all the time and getting confused when what he did didn't please her in the later books though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Dammit Talmanes got cut by a Mydraal and is dying in the opening chapters of A Memory of Light. RIP Talmane you were a real one.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hollismason posted:

Dammit Talmanes got cut by a Mydraal and is dying in the opening chapters of A Memory of Light. RIP Talmane you were a real one.

That sequence is so badass and AMOL only gets better from there

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Judkins and Alvaro Morte Q&A answers in this twitter thread

https://twitter.com/winespringcafe/status/1474076870027132937

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Talmanes is the hero we all need.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hollismason posted:

As badass as Talmanes is, having him not actually die here was an odd choice, especially given AMoL is finally when characters actually die

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gully Foyle posted:

As badass as Talmanes is, having him not actually die here was an odd choice, especially given AMoL is finally when characters actually die

I was totally chill with them killing Egwene, Siuan, Bryne, Gawyn and even Bela but if they'd killed off Talmanes I would have kicked the gently caress off

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Talmanes lives! Nynaeve was there with a proweave. Memory of Light is real good so far. I like Rand and Perrin just chilling out and talking to each other. Not sure everyone is going to go along with Rand's plan but we'll see how it turns out. I'm only a few chapters in.

M'Hael is a Chosen. I figured he was Demandred or another Forsaken, but no he's a brand new Chosen.''

I'm looking forward to Moraine meeting back up with Rand that should be really interesting.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Hollismason posted:

Talmanes lives! Nynaeve was there with a proweave. Memory of Light is real good so far. I like Rand and Perrin just chilling out and talking to each other. Not sure everyone is going to go along with Rand's plan but we'll see how it turns out. I'm only a few chapters in.

M'Hael is a Chosen. I figured he was Demandred or another Forsaken, but no he's a brand new Chosen.''

I'm looking forward to Moraine meeting back up with Rand that should be really interesting.

it was talked about earlier but yeah m'hael/taim was literally intended to be demandred pretending to be someone else at first but people were guessing it so robert jordan changed it so it wasn't that anymore. instead he just becomes the newest forsaken/chosen.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

M'hael? More like, M'Loser.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

As much as I like Demandred yelling about Rand the whole last battle, Taim makes more sense as Demandred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Invalid Validation posted:

As much as I like Demandred yelling about Rand the whole last battle, Taim makes more sense as Demandred.

You could definitely still have that, I don't remember M'Hael doing much of value in the last battle