Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

I have two ideas on how to fix the lota strippers.

The first one being to just completely decouple ilevel from the first raid in every xpac series, so even if you queue naked you can still catch Void Ark / Rab / Copied factory.

The second is to completely decouple the CT raids from ADR and put them in msqdr instead.

Like, I get that some people just want to be able to breeze through lota and not have to critically engage with anything, but I also want to have some level of variety when I run roulette and that variety explicitly gets taken away when all I get is non stop lota by one or two people stripping down who don't want to think. Like, people would be bitching and complaining nonstop if LDR would give you Satasha 95% of the time because people found out some trick to always force it.

Like, at a certain point it becomes "fix ADR stripping and people like cythreal stop queueing" or don't fix it and people like me stop queueing, and I'm basically already at the latter. No matter what someone is unhappy.

The third one would be to scale the roulette rewards to your ilvl instead of your character level. That way you can still force CT raids if you really want to, but you only get rewards that would be good for a lvl 50-ish character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
can someone give me the skinny on stats for tanking? is tenacity worthless? they don't go for much on the mb, is the dmg reduction /health and healing bonus not worth it?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Zeruel posted:

can someone give me the skinny on stats for tanking? is tenacity worthless? they don't go for much on the mb, is the dmg reduction /health and healing bonus not worth it?

Tenacity is not worthless, and if you go full-on and meld it you will be noticeably tankier in my experience. However, the thing is that between themselves and the healer, for the vast vast majority of content tanks are already tanky and survivable enough. So it's far more common to meld DPS materia to speed up the killing of things instead.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Zeruel posted:

Tenacity is currently around 70% of the DPS boost of the other substats, I think, generally dropping lower as the expansion continues and the relative value of crit and DH increases. Most people reason that they don't need Tenacity to survive anything and that it's not going to save enough healer GCDs to recover the personal DPS loss.

For ultimates and pre-echo savage it's fine, to be honest. I'd probably be pentamelding it in two weeks if I was a tank.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tenacity isn't awful when you're progging a current savage tier. You're necessarily undergeared and still learning timing and mechanics so being a bit tankier can help you live long enough to see the next part of the fight. Once you're at the ilvl cap and comfortable with the savage fights, or for less difficult content, tenacity's only utility is when your healers are trash.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

cheetah7071 posted:

I took a peak at what the balance is saying for optimizing high-end reaper play and wow it looks awful lol

I think I'll stick to raiding on drg

I think people are probably overthinking it. I do amazing dps on reaper by just pressing the buttons that light up in the best order.

Hit your positionals, keep death debuff up, and use abilities when off cooldown. Nothing terribly complicated.

Don’t worry about what 1%ers are thinking. Every job can beat all of the content. If the DPS check in savage is ridiculously tight, you might not want a PLD, but I’m sure a good PLD can balance their tiny bit less dps than dark knight with utility.

Don’t be scared because theory crafters have decided something might be difficult.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What are the super-optimized Reaper things that are awkward? I'm curious how bad it could get with a job that flows that nicely.

That said I know the pain, optimizing Gunbreaker's burst window feels really clunky to me despite how well the job normally flows, and the third cartridge + Double Down somehow makes it even clunkier.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've been using the MB as storage for gemstone vouchers. I had 22 up at 200k per. They sold yesterday morning. This morning, they were down to 125k. I bought back my 22 and netted 1.4m in profit. :lol:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Pyro Jack posted:

Leveling: The Sunken Temple of Qarn due to a mixture of having to do it five times in a row while leveling DRK and one point having to deal with two lovely party members which pretty much stained any good memory that I had for the dungeon.

If I see I'm with no new people a fun trick for Qarn is that you do not actually have to pick up any of the items. When you get to the area with the correct ones you can just blow by it and the faces won't leave that room. When you get to the end just touch the scales to fail them and open the boss door.

This means you skip three fights (faces, room with flame, room with fruit) to take one (fight from failing the scales). Although I guess you don't get the bonus loot either.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The 90 crafter gear is very good.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Wrestlepig posted:

Its a lot of recolours so I've been disappointed overall, but there's definitely some great stuff mixed in. the level 85 stuff is great.

There are a lot of recolours but a lot of them are of extremely unique sets that were a giant pain in the rear end to get initially. Like the first dungeon set is a recolour of the Bonewicca stuff, sure, but you can collect a guaranteed piece every run because it's a levelling dungeon, instead of having to do Swallow's Compass 150 times for the drat flaming skull horns. And the Skalla set recolour is just vendor gear now, no grinding required.

I admit I am a little grumpy because I did grind Swallow's 150 times for the flaming skull horns, but c'est la vie.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've been using the MB as storage for gemstone vouchers. I had 22 up at 200k per. They sold yesterday morning. This morning, they were down to 125k. I bought back my 22 and netted 1.4m in profit. :lol:

I'll eventually muster up the will to do the ~200 more FATEs needed to get rank 3 in every EW zone, but I can't for the life of me understand how anybody can bear to keep farming them after that. Or why the devs keep going so hard on coming up with ways to encourage people to mindlessly farm FATEs rather than just make more interesting content.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

FATEs seem like an easy, low intensity way to farm up XP while waiting for other stuff. The XP gains in EW zones are alright.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thundarr posted:

I'll eventually muster up the will to do the ~200 more FATEs needed to get rank 3 in every EW zone, but I can't for the life of me understand how anybody can bear to keep farming them after that. Or why the devs keep going so hard on coming up with ways to encourage people to mindlessly farm FATEs rather than just make more interesting content.

I'm still stuck in 2.0 mode and level a lot of my classes via fates. Outside of roulettes, the experience for effort is the largest of anywhere else. Get into a party and just bounce around. You can go from 80-90 in a couple of days just rolling into level appropriate fates with groups. I'm almost always capped with gemstones as a result, and I'm glad I finally have valuable sinks for my time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
fates in EW zones are 300-600k depending on level and experience bonuses. You can get 30-40k in experience just from mob kills when you're in a party on anything besides boss fates.

Fates are also a great way to learn the best and most efficient aoe and practice single target DPS on boss fates.

Plus you get a FUCKTON of gil either in the form of bicolor vouchers when you've hit rank 3 in all zones or hides that are available at all the in zone vendors.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Zutaten posted:

There are a lot of recolours but a lot of them are of extremely unique sets that were a giant pain in the rear end to get initially. Like the first dungeon set is a recolour of the Bonewicca stuff, sure, but you can collect a guaranteed piece every run because it's a levelling dungeon, instead of having to do Swallow's Compass 150 times for the drat flaming skull horns. And the Skalla set recolour is just vendor gear now, no grinding required.

I admit I am a little grumpy because I did grind Swallow's 150 times for the flaming skull horns, but c'est la vie.

I wanted the Bonewicca chestpiece for Reaper and ran it as DRG before Endwalker so many times to no luck, so it's nice that it's an eventual drop even if I had to run Zot 10 times to actually get it because no maiming stuff dropped at all and I kept getting accessories as my guaranteed item. I'm sure they weigh the chestpieces and weapons in such a way that they're less likely to be the guarantee early on.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Saint Freak posted:

If I see I'm with no new people a fun trick for Qarn is that you do not actually have to pick up any of the items. When you get to the area with the correct ones you can just blow by it and the faces won't leave that room. When you get to the end just touch the scales to fail them and open the boss door.

This means you skip three fights (faces, room with flame, room with fruit) to take one (fight from failing the scales). Although I guess you don't get the bonus loot either.

are u making GBS threads me

are there any other dungeons with dumb ground pickups that I can skip?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Gobbeldygook posted:

When the new craftable 580 combat gear drops with Savage, what sort of prices should I expect to pay? I realize this is fundamentally unknowable, but should I be prepared to cough up 200k/piece or more in the ballpark of 2 million/piece?

My server is usually around 150k per piece and 600k per pentamelded piece

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Some random job thoughts without paying any attention to DPS in raids or whatever:

SMN - Really love what they've done with this. Great effects and I'm having a blast playing it. I know it's considered 'easy' but I'm ok with that. I like that jobs are being designed for differing tastes and skill levels.

PLD - This is not unique to this job, but I feel like PLD really suffers by it's gimmick of being a holy magic caster being high level. I just kind of hate playing it in lower level content. The self sustain from holy spells feels like a great upgrade as does holy sheltron which is now amazing.

WAR - I just love most everything about this job now. The QoL changes were even better than I had hoped and Bloodwhetting has possibly become my new favorite all around ability for anyone. My only minor quibble is with orogeny being somewhat 'meh' in practice along with its weird 'my axe disappears and I punch everyone around me' animation. I just love the weight and feel of this class.

NIN - NIN has always been one of my favorite jobs so I'm biased, but something about it isn't quite clicking for me right now. I still love it at its core, but somehow the job just feels far more... disjointed than others. It's almost as if a lot of the abilities are just sort of tacked on things to make them relevant (like mug for instance). Hurajin is super convenient so I like it... but to me it seems like a band-aid for them just making Huton permanent or something. The whole 'switch to armor crush to extend but lose 20 potency' thing just doesn't really seem that interesting a mechanic to me anymore. Phantom Kamaitachi is really neat in theory, but it's something that is only useable once while bunshin is active at most every 90 seconds and so feels underwhelming to me compared to the cools toys other jobs are getting. I feel like NIN could be improved by having less done during trick attack and more done outside of trick attack, but that's probably a bit controversial with longtime NIN players who like that kind of gameplay. Also they added 3 buttons and took away 2 so I'm having difficulty fitting it in my old control scheme.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

blatman posted:

There's stuff where you can skip fights here and there, like falling off the ledge in haukke and then recalling after the second boss, but I think everyone does that. You can technically blow past all the mobs in the portal parts of Cutters, but lol if someone doesn't make it.

People love to recall at the end of Matoya's Relict, but someone has to actually go all the way to the end and start the cauldron so whether this actually does anything is debatable (it doesn't).

Newer dungeons are pretty linear/mandatory by design.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 23, 2021

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
It really doesn't, the cast time on return is super close to the animation of the cauldron and just taking the portal back

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
If you're quick and recall as soon as the Large Fire Man dies you can open the boss arena before the non-recall people have even clicked their entrance teleport, so it potentially saves 10-15 seconds for 3 people. It's still debatable if that's worth it in roulettes, since it can go wrong if everyone recalls and people sometimes have Strong Opinions about anyone pulling bosses without them. I had one run where the tank decided that "you pull it, you tank it" applied even if I'd given prior warning that I was recalling so I ended up healer-tanking the final boss while they stood at the entrance and refused to contribute. No one died or anything, the boss doesn't hit very hard, but I certainly didn't save any time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I also discovered last night that if your LLDR is Garuda Easy, ADR is LOTA, and your Frontlines team is full of AFKers and feeders, those three roulettes aren't even worth a full level. :negative:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

DeathSandwich posted:

Use your barrier, either Magic Barrier for RDM, manaward for BLM, or Radiant Aegis for Summoner. It's suppose to be turbo skin of your teeth.

I didn't need any of those and thought it was a pretty easy fight on normal. But I picked up my role gear when it became available at level 89.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've been getting my main jobs up to level 90 as well so I'm gonna give my own thoughts:

WAR: Just love everything about my main job now, they really smoothed out all the small issues that the job had. Bloodwhetting is almost busted in how good it is: I remember when people were crying foul when they mentioned that percentage based heal was gone, but that was understandable since the tooltip suggested that you got a 400 potency heal per GCD, not per target hit (the latter is actually what happens). It's likely that as ilevels go up, the heal is gonna end up lesser than it was pre-6.0, but the ability is still incredibly good, especially coupled with the changes to Equilibrium and Shake it Off. The only issue I have with the changes is that they should have found a way to not have Primal Rend be it's own button, but that's a minor quibble. Overall the job feels very good, especially in dungeon pulls where you don't have to single target to get your buff up anymore. Just really impressed.

MNK: I was a bit hesitant about the changes when I first tried them but now that I am used to blitzes I love the job all over again. MNK feels so smooth and fun to play now that I don't think there will be any major changes to the job forthcoming, and the job will remain as it is with only minor changes necessary. Getting rid of most of the oGCDs was unexpected but feels pretty good, blitzes feel awesome, getting rid of the positionals makes the job less busy, AoE combo now works when you press PB (spamming shadow of the destroyer is really good), you don't need to do Twin Snakes in the AoE combo anymore, just good stuff all around. Would really recommend the job if you gave it a miss before.

RDM: Level 80 felt a bit weird and I'm still trying to get used to the job now. I'm not sure the accel change was all that necessary but having essentially an extra swiftcast is kind of neat. I still need to feel out the job though.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Agreed that maybe Inner Release should just turn into Primal Rend when you use it

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Bunshin should turn into Phantom Kamaitachi. Also High Jump should turn into Mirage Dive. Hypercharge should turn into Heat Blast and Spread Shot/Scattergun should turn into Auto Crossbow while overheating. Minor Arcana should transform into Crown Play.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I can't confirm 100% but I think the limitation is on having a cooldown timer than needs to be counting down immediately after you press the button (so, you press Inner Release and the cooldown for IR starts immediately after you press the button), which is maybe why they didn't just make IR turn into Primal Rend (which is the sensible option).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Chillgamesh posted:

Bunshin should turn into Phantom Kamaitachi. Also High Jump should turn into Mirage Dive. Hypercharge should turn into Heat Blast and Spread Shot/Scattergun should turn into Auto Crossbow while overheating. Minor Arcana should transform into Crown Play.

Shroud not turning into Communio is also a weird omission.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Am I missing anything, or does WAR not have a burst/cooldown window where you want stuff to be synced up like PLD and GNB? Do I just use Inner Release, Infuriate, and Upheaval as they're available?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Oxyclean posted:

Am I missing anything, or does WAR not have a burst/cooldown window where you want stuff to be synced up like PLD and GNB? Do I just use Inner Release, Infuriate, and Upheaval as they're available?

They're up every minute, so you sync them with everything that's up every minute.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It used to be that you wanted upheaval/onslaught during IR, but not anymore. Just press everything as it comes up.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So anyone who mains DRG on keyboard can you post your keyboard setup? I get annoyed with the class because it's both slow on gcd and fiddly on buttons having two separate 5 button combo strings is annoying especially when the last two hits double up on each other. And I have a penchant for fat fingering it in a way that I don't on SAM/MNK/NIN.

I've mostly just been playing DRG because it's convenient and the melee I have at highest level, but I'm really considering powering through monk or ninja instead at this point. Likely monk since as much as I like ninja, so much of their balance is around Trick Attack and they seemingly take a huge personal damage hit for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

So anyone who mains DRG on keyboard can you post your keyboard setup? I get annoyed with the class because it's both slow on gcd and fiddly on buttons having two separate 5 button combo strings is annoying especially when the last two hits double up on each other. And I have a penchant for fat fingering it in a way that I don't on SAM/MNK/NIN.

I've mostly just been playing DRG because it's convenient and the melee I have at highest level, but I'm really considering powering through monk or ninja instead at this point. Likely monk since as much as I like ninja, so much of their balance is around Trick Attack and they seemingly take a huge personal damage hit for it.

I don't main it but the people I know who do use the Combo plugin

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

blatman posted:

It's not quite a pickup per se (though you don't ever have to read the note, you can just brute force at the end of the first segment), but you can cut minutes off a Sastasha run if everyone's on board by having the tank pull everything to the final area without anyone else generating aggro (including the healer - don't heal the tank in the process), then let the tank explode and everything leashes back to their starting positions and the healer rezzes the tank in the boss room.
Not exactly the best newbie experience but if there's no first-time bonuses you can clear it synced in under 10 minutes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think people are probably overthinking it. I do amazing dps on reaper by just pressing the buttons that light up in the best order.

Hit your positionals, keep death debuff up, and use abilities when off cooldown. Nothing terribly complicated.

Don’t worry about what 1%ers are thinking. Every job can beat all of the content. If the DPS check in savage is ridiculously tight, you might not want a PLD, but I’m sure a good PLD can balance their tiny bit less dps than dark knight with utility.

Don’t be scared because theory crafters have decided something might be difficult.

I mean, I don't mind playing drg, I've been raiding on it for as long as I've been raiding

thought about maybe switching but I'd rather whatever class I play in savage be one where I'm really doing everything I can, y'know? And that's going to feel comfier on drg, it looks like

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Hogama posted:

It's not quite a pickup per se (though you don't ever have to read the note, you can just brute force at the end of the first segment), but you can cut minutes off a Sastasha run if everyone's on board by having the tank pull everything to the final area without anyone else generating aggro (including the healer - don't heal the tank in the process), then let the tank explode and everything leashes back to their starting positions and the healer rezzes the tank in the boss room.
Not exactly the best newbie experience but if there's no first-time bonuses you can clear it synced in under 10 minutes.

You can also do this for most of Aurum Vale, as the only things you have to kill are the Morbols.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Finding a hotbar setup I liked was what I think killed DRG for me. I can see how controller users may fare better with the class since you're using so many buttons so frequently. Like my regular ShB opener was something like:

E > Q > alt+1 > 1 > alt+2, alt+3 > 2 > shift+1 > 3 > shift+e > 4 > shift+3 > Q > shift+T > alt+Q > shift+R > shift+Q > shift+3 and then some more crap

My hand hurts just from thinking about it

edit: and to actually answer the request, here's my setup from 5.5 - the empty E space was BotD. I try to keep similar abilities in the same hotkeys from class to class so it's (as above) obviously not ideal for DRG, but it helps to keep the muscle memory. First row is neutral, second row is alt+, third is shift+.

acumen fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 23, 2021

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

So anyone who mains DRG on keyboard can you post your keyboard setup?

People have called my setup "claustrophobic" before but I'll remember what I can anyways. I'm at work rn so I don't have a screenshot handy

123 is my Heaven's Thrust combo
45 is disembowel, chaotic spring
F, G are Fang and Claw and Wheeling Thrust

So my normal GCD rotation is 1,4,5,g,f,1,2,3,f,g

My AOE is, for whatever reason, on shift-4, shift-5, and shift-r

Q is high jump, shift-q is mirage dive
E is spineshatter, shift-e is dragonfire
V is Geirskogul, shift-v is Stardiver
Shift-g is wyrmwind thrust

Shift-1 is life surge, shift-2 is lance charge, I should probably put dragon sight on shift-3, shift-f is battle litany

Piercing talon is ctrl-r, elusive jump is ctrl-e

R is my stun, second wind is on 6 or something, bloodbath is on shift-6,

Feint, arms length, and true north aren't bound

If I was really clever since I barely use ctrl binds I'd have a bar up that's just my opener bound to ctrl+the number row but I'm not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
So I got Thaumaturge to 30 and unlocked Black Mage. Compared to the other Magical DPS in the game, Summoner (both old and new) and Red Mage, it felt a bit slow even if it was at an early level than those two. I do like the gimmick with Thunder but I feel that the duration of the DoT should be longer. Anyway, Black Mage's got alot of buttons to work with, enough to worry me on setting them up on my Crossbar.

Outside of that, all that's left to get to 30 is Conjurer which is probably a good time to learn the basics of being a Healer in a duty since I want to level Sage for the Endwalker story.