Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Skojec’s article is good. His whole internal struggle is very similar to mine, though we reach different conclusions. I sympathize with him and admire his ability to articulate something so personal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

LuckyCat posted:

I think the popes have only exercised their infallibility ex cathedra twice. Both were Marian doctrines: the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption.

Yeah, that would be accurate. That's one of the bones of contention the article has, they don't think that's legit enough, essentially. I chalk it up to a "This Saying is Hard", and it's not for me to understand.

The Catholic Church has had plenty of bad Popes in its past, even ones we put on trial after they were dead. But I can certainly understand scandal in the Church causing people to leave the faith. I don't think it's the proper response, but I understand it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Well done to walk so far, Thirteen Orphans; is this a case where it is a final statement, or would you be able to return in a few years if your health improves?

HopperUK posted:

I'm truly glad that you're finding meaning in your suffering and pain. But as someone currently suffering loss of vision, I have reservations about this line of thinking. I don't think 'everything happens for a reason' is actually true at all. I'm losing my eyesight because of a quirk of genetics and bad luck. It doesn't mean anything.
It has always seemed a little fatuous to me, but my attitude is: Sure, everything happened for a reason. Even before I became a Buddhist it was like, yeah no poo poo, something came before everything, or if you got all the way down to some particle spontaneously popping into existence, there is 'this particle arose due to weird quantum bullshit'.

NikkolasKing posted:

This might sound silly but this was the first year approaching Christmas when my mind wasn't really drawn to that gnawing hunger for religion that besets me every now and then but always inevitably hits me around this time. The silly part is as I was perfectly content with things, I heard a cat meowing outside. The one thing I asked from my GF for Christmas was a new pet. She was reluctant and I don't think she was gonna get me one. But back to my story. I went looking for the meowing cat and he followed me home and now I have a cat again. I even have money to actually feed and take care of him properly.

I dunno about miracles or fate but stuff like this always makes me wonder.... Silly for something so minor to spark those thoughts again but that's how it be.
The only thing silly is that there is no picture of the catte, but this is an easily remedied error. What are you naming them?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

There’s only one thing to do. Start your own monastery

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Thanks all. :)

Fritz the Horse posted:

Be well! You'll find other ways to support the Church I'm sure :) Could you still, like, volunteer with them in some way?

They’re too far away to volunteer, and it would be kind of awkward, anyway.

Nessus posted:

Well done to walk so far, Thirteen Orphans; is this a case where it is a final statement, or would you be able to return in a few years if your health improves?

It’s final. Ironically they thought my health was really good now, they were concerned about it deteriorating.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Thanks all. :)

They’re too far away to volunteer, and it would be kind of awkward, anyway.

It’s final. Ironically they thought my health was really good now, they were concerned about it deteriorating.

Are there other orders you could join? If The Brothers of Something can't take you, is there a chance The Brothers of Something Else would take you? Or is this a "You are not cut out for monasteries, end of story?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nessus posted:

It has always seemed a little fatuous to me, but my attitude is: Sure, everything happened for a reason. Even before I became a Buddhist it was like, yeah no poo poo, something came before everything, or if you got all the way down to some particle spontaneously popping into existence, there is 'this particle arose due to weird quantum bullshit'.

The only thing silly is that there is no picture of the catte, but this is an easily remedied error. What are you naming them?

He does not like to stay still and look at me for pics so this was the first one I could get which I kinda like.

As for a name, I'm terrible with names... I might ask some of my friends to help name him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A good catte. Name him Ananda, IMO

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

He does not like to stay still and look at me for pics so this was the first one I could get which I kinda like.

As for a name, I'm terrible with names... I might ask some of my friends to help name him.

Bartholo-mew :haw:

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
St. Clawgustine

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Dave

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

BattyKiara posted:

Are there other orders you could join? If The Brothers of Something can't take you, is there a chance The Brothers of Something Else would take you? Or is this a "You are not cut out for monasteries, end of story?

I definitely have other options. It’s something to think about as I go forward. Right now I still feel like garbage, though, so it’s hard to think about the future as I still feel so raw inside. I know all this doesn’t mean I’m a bad person but it still feels like I got punched in the gut, it’s still fresh.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I definitely have other options. It’s something to think about as I go forward. Right now I still feel like garbage, though, so it’s hard to think about the future as I still feel so raw inside. I know all this doesn’t mean I’m a bad person but it still feels like I got punched in the gut, it’s still fresh.

Feel free to PM me if you need a Friendly ear. You will still be in my prayers.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

BattyKiara posted:

Feel free to PM me if you need a Friendly ear. You will still be in my prayers.

Thank you, that’s very kind of you.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

BarnoldComfyTwenty FourAreola GrandeViginti SeptumBalls DildoStoner SlothCardi BYOB

Dad's Dip CupBarking GeckoEscape From NoiseManifistoLockMacnultBo-PepFluffieDuckie
biosterousDoctor DogballsChrsKaiser SchnitzelEat My Ghastly rear endGoons Are GreatZurtilikyour friend sk
alexandriaonutRobot Made of Meat Saoshyant Chubby Checker rear end Penny Futon Forensic fps_nug vanisher Heather Papps Dope Fiend Killa G alnilam more falafel please City of Glompton Derpies and me, Pot Smoke Phoenix

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

thank you byob that means a lot

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

cross referencing my goons.xls to see who didn't sign the card

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

God bless us everyone

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

thank you byob that means a lot

BYOB is one of the most persistently and weirdly wholesome forums on the internet these days.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
That was really nice :3:

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Thank you, BYOB, is there a way to repay you? Send you something nice in return?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
gently caress did I just read? :magical:

Cyrano4747 posted:

BYOB is one of the most persistently and weirdly wholesome forums on the internet these days.

Maybe I should stop into BYOB sometime, I thought it was FYAD slightly toned down :3:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Any sub with non default css is Threatening

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

And all I bought BYOB was socks...

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

D34THROW posted:

Maybe I should stop into BYOB sometime, I thought it was FYAD slightly toned down :3:

you should and it absolutely is the opposite of that

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

D34THROW posted:

While it is undeniably the opposite of fyad, contrary to popular opinion, they aren't our nemesis. That would be coupons and deals. For reasons no one fully understands.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

I had my first Grinch moment this year...one of my neighbors (I don't know who) returned one of the Christmas cards I had distributed thru the neighborhood! That hurt!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pershing posted:

I had my first Grinch moment this year...one of my neighbors (I don't know who) returned one of the Christmas cards I had distributed thru the neighborhood! That hurt!

:confused:

who the heck cares enough to return a christmas card? That's some next-level grinching.

Like, I get a bunch that I don't really care about or for but they just go in the recycle.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

:hfive:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

BattyKiara posted:

Thank you, BYOB, is there a way to repay you? Send you something nice in return?

We need a missions director...someone to start a BYOB Religionthread

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pershing posted:

This is the most insane thing I've ever read

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Pershing posted:

Who does that?! We have to pray for that person, I can’t imagine the hurt they’re carrying to even think of doing that.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Who does that?! We have to pray for that person, I can’t imagine the hurt they’re carrying to even think of doing that.

I intend to pray! As the day had gone on I'm more baffled than anything else. Just throw it in the trash for God's sake...

On an unrelated note, can anyone tell me who this is?

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

Pershing posted:

?? That is such a weird thing to do.

I didn't go to Christmas Eve or Christmas Day services as omicron has been blowing up in my formerly covid-free city and I was seeing relatives today who had underlying conditions/are elderly and didn't want to risk picking anything up (also covid would probably beat my rear end too, I'm fully vaxxed but have a few underlying conditions). It was a shame to miss being there in person, but my church introduced livestreaming services when the pandemic kicked off, so I'm glad there was at least that option.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Merry Christmas ya goons.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just back from ushering midnight mass. Was good! Merry Christmas!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Merry Christmas, everyone.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Good Yuletides (though we heathens strictly speaking didn't celebrate it until february) to all! May the Jule Cat not eat you, and may you find yourself in a hall full of pork and mead.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Merry Christmas everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Merry Christmas! The priest at Mass today actually sang the Eucharistic Prayer, which I had never heard before and which was incredibly lovely; it was the same composer as the other service music. And the boys were excellently well-behaved.