Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Putting the Asmodee purchasing BGG rumor to bed

quote:

To answer such inquiries, I sent a short list of questions to BGG owner Scott Alden, who answered them in even briefer fashion:

• WEM: Has Asmodee purchased BGG?
• Aldie: No
• WEM: If not Asmodee, has anyone else purchased BGG?
• WEM: If not, has anyone approached you about selling BGG? If so, was Asmodee one of those parties? Do you want to name the interested parties?
• Aldie: Yes, No, No
• WEM: Do you have plans to sell BGG in, say, the next five years?

Didn't think so. Glad to hear this however :) So Asmodee didn't approach him. Surprising since I would think if you want to be the "Steam of board games" it'd be hard to get there without BGG. But I guess they only care about the buying part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Carcasonne, Space Alert, and BSG are p. bad recs in TYOOL 2k21

Maybe.. Azul? Clank? I like 7 Wonders Architects but it’s new and haven’t played it long-term yet.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 23, 2021

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I think that breaking game recommendations down into levels of accessibility (party, play with parents at holiday gatherings, intro, mid weight, thread weight) would be a good idea with the caveat that a players interest in a game will trump weight as far as recommendations. Also recommending games that are actually in print.

Here would be my stab.

Party: Wavelength, Monikers, Codenames
Family: Carcassonne, Azul, Happy City, High Society, Junk Art,
Intro: Quest for El Dorado, The Estates, Res Arcana
Midweight: Concordia Venus, Kemet Blood and Sand, Marvel Champions
Threadweight: Spirit Island, Food Chain Magnate, Cosmic Frog, A Feast for Odin, Too Many Bones, Root
2 Player: Targi, Battlecon, Jaipur, Santorini/Ragnarocks

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

nordichammer posted:

I think that breaking game recommendations down into levels of accessibility (party, play with parents at holiday gatherings, intro, mid weight, thread weight) would be a good idea with the caveat that a players interest in a game will trump weight as far as recommendations. Also recommending games that are actually in print.

Here would be my stab.

Threadweight: Spirit Island, Food Chain Magnate, Cosmic Frog, A Feast for Odin, Too Many Bones, Root
Yeah this is a good suggestion! Someone get to it!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nvm

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 24, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
all of this happened before, all of this will happen again

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Board game thread 5e: titty minis

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I skimmed the kdm kickstarter and all I saw was titty minis and monsters and a very high cost. Is it the titty minis? I have a few and my gf just goes "ooh I like her, she's hot and has a nice rack" :shrug:

Was there something in the manual? I couldn't find examples on a quick Google search.

Maybe link me to a post explaining why it was bad if that helps, I couldn't see one skimming the thread

EDIT saw a video saying the base game is $400 and $1600 dollars or so for all the expansions, well that lost me immediately.

A lot of the “expansions” are extraordinarily expensive “here’s a titty/adonis mini and one event card”, so they’re more for collectors and painters.

It’s on TTS at any rate if you wanted to try it, and the designer seem to not give a poo poo since half the players are just in it for the plastic.

There’s also this, which has the entire rule book / storybook in webpage format with narration and background music. Might be hard to understand since it’s non-linear, but could give you an idea of the events: https://kdm-story.site

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 23, 2021

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Tekopo posted:

Also DP isn't exactly cutting edge nowadays.

False! Poop mechanic is always cutting edge.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Can someone give me a quick bullet on how much has changed between Power Grid and Power Grid Recharged? Much appreciated!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

A lot of the “expansions” are extraordinarily expensive “here’s a titty/adonis mini and one event card”, so they’re more for collectors and painters.

It’s on TTS at any rate if you wanted to try it, and the designer seem to not give a poo poo since half the players are just in it for the plastic.

There’s also this, which has the entire rule book / storybook in webpage format with narration and background music. Might be hard to understand since it’s non-linear, but could give you an idea of the events: https://kdm-story.site

The premise here seems interesting and I was going to say similar aesthetics to dark souls, but then it literally rips some audio from dark souls one in this website lol

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Well folks, I was able to find 20 in home tests for my Essen day on the 15th of January.

This is the list for the games:

Messina (on loan)
Ark Nova
Bitoku
Boonlake
Squaring the Circleville
Imperial Steam
Arkwright the Card Game
Merchants of the Dark Road
Tokyo Market expansion (ordered before I knew about the harrasement)
Tokyo Metro expansion (same)
18Mag

About 20 specially picked people, five tables inside a spacious room. If the weather is good, people can play outside as well, at least until it gets dark. I'm really looking forward to it!!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The premise here seems interesting and I was going to say similar aesthetics to dark souls, but then it literally rips some audio from dark souls one in this website lol

Tbh I have a few playlists for games and KDM is mostly Dark Souls and Darkest Dungeon OSTs

e: to clarify, that’s a fan-made site as a game companion, not coming from the publisher

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 24, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Your friendly TG moderators have been receiving a flood of reports from this thread. Apparently the kingdom death moderation led posters to believe that it was important to mount a technical defense of a racist antisemitic game designer from being unfairly characterized as A Literal Nazi, and I was a bit hesitant to act immediately because I wanted a second opinion (I don't know any of these people) but based on potatocubed's input, we are in agreement that no, actually, we do not need this poo poo.

We're working on maybe a blanket rule for all of TG to help us apply a consistent moderation policy about game developers/designers/tg industry figures who some TG posters feel must not be supported but other TG posters want to play their games. In the meantime, we have to deal with each instance.

radmonger, however technically accurate it might be to defend Eklund from the epithet "real actual Nazi," I can't fathom why you decided you should die on the hill of "this race-essentialist spouting antisemitic views isn't technically a nazi" and then reference wikipedia as your source for "there's a debate either way." I beg you to reconsider the wisdom of such an approach. It can't possibly be to your long-term advantage to try to win that argument. Take your time off to think about what kind of reputation you want to have around here.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Top Kickstarter game on BGG is Kingdom Death Nyanster

Checkmate cubepushers :smug:

Stop trolling the thread.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Apparently the kingdom death moderation led posters to believe that it was important to mount a technical defense of a racist antisemitic game designer from being unfairly characterized as A Literal Nazi

Wait, the two conversations were related??

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maybe? In that the moderators showed a willingness to say "yeah we think kingdom death sucks and we're not gonna protect its defenders" and perhaps they feared we were gonna do the same thing for those phil eklund games so it's very very important to make it clear that the antisemite isn't a jackbooted nazi?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think its safe to say 2021 is the weakest year of releases in my 11 years in the hobby. I'm sure part of that is Covid + supply chain issues catching up, but even looking at the stuff that should have been released already it's not very exciting.

GotY is pretty easily The Crew - Mission Deep Sea. Just an all around better version of an already instant classic. I gave away a lot of copies of both versions as gifts and every single one of them has been a hit with gamers and non-gamers alike.

Oath is an interesting game but it ended on my trade pile because it needs consistent and repeated plays but the group that would play this prefers Pamir 2e pretty universally.

Unfathomable, Kemet 2.,0 and Galaxy Trucker 1.1 are good rereleases, happy that they'll stay around in the hobby.

Dominant Species Marine seems to be a solid if not excellent follow up to the original.

Still need to try Cryo and Furnace (and Beyond the Sun but I think that's a 2020 release).

That's basically the only 2021 games that caught my attention at all.

Anyways, I think it'd be good to make a list of games for a new OP that cover player counts of 2, 3-5, and 6+. Maybe player count + weight would be a good way to present it. I'll come up with my own lists later of like 3-5 at each count/weight.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 23, 2021

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Bottom Liner posted:

Oath is an interesting game but it ended on my trade pile because it needs consistent and repeated plays but the group that would play this prefers Pamir 2e pretty universally.

I would love to get my hands on a copy of Oath. What would you trade for it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The only thing I'm really looking for is a complete version of Dogs of War but given the CMON KS nature of that I've started putting together the assets to print it myself. My whole trade pile is probably going on a BGG auction after New Years along with a friend's games after he finishes culling his stuff.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got myk copy of Pax Pamir. It's beautiful.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
GOTY discussions this year will be brief for me, since I still played very few board games this year, and very few ones new to me, since I haven't had the energy to play terribly complicated games even after getting vaxxed and having restrictions laxed. (Did play Eclipse recently though, and that was great.)

Runners up:

Piece o' Cake: I got the Japanese version, which I talked about briefly here. It's an I Split, You Choose about dividing up pieces of cakes into sections, and set-collection of the different types of cake. You can't reorder the pieces, you just cut it into up to as many parts as there are players. You can also just 'eat' the pieces for points, but then they don't count towards having majority. It has gone over fantastically well with everyone I've shown it to. The choices are always awkward and you have to try and discern what people want and how to get it that the piece that will be left will be one that helps you. A terrific filler that you can apply brainpower to if you so desire.

Android: Netrunner: Reports of its death have been greatly exaggerated. Again, talked about it in the thread in the past here. It's been revived and kept going by one of the best and most effective card game fan collectives ever. I've only gotten to play a little, but I am hyped to get more in during the new year. It's the perfect methadone for all use that got tired of being abused by MTG.

Game of the Year:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Baker Street Irregulars: This game is loving terrific. It's narratively compelling, contemplative, fulfilling, engaging, occasionally uplifitng or even quite humorous. It was everything I could have wanted, as close to perfect as is reasonable. I talked about it a fair bit in the draft thread.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

nordichammer posted:

Here would be my stab.

Party: Get out of here you filthy casual
Family: Memoir '44, Command and Colors Ancients
Intro: Normandy '44, Twilight Struggle, Sekigahara, Maria
Midweight: OCS Tunisia, Empire of the Sun, BCS Last Blitzkrieg, Enemy Action Ardennes, A Distant Plain
Threadweight: OCS Case Blue, La Battaile (any game), ASL with all expansions,
2 Player: All of the Above except Maria.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

nordichammer posted:

Here would be my stab.

Great list! My only gripe is that Race for the Galaxy should land somewhere in there.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
While not a heavy game by any stretch, Splendor(with or without expansions) is still a fantastic intro to boardgames.
Our group has introduced it to 4 other couples/groups and they've all bought their own copy.

Family friendly or newbie friendly

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I literally just taught Splendor to my in-laws who don’t speak a word of English. Hopefully I never have to play Chinchón with them ever again.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Splendor I can confirm goes over well with non board gamers. My parents and brother all really enjoyed it and ended up wanting to play it until even I was getting a little sick of it so it's kind of been my go to filler or warm up game for lighter groups.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ok here's a list of games recs by weight and player count. I'll list more on the lighter to med side as a primer for anyone looking for intro and next step stuff. I'm going to skew med toward the lighter side because what we consider med weight would be pretty heavy for newcomers. Also some of these are more flexible in player counts but I'll put them in the category they fit best.

2p Light
Battle Line
The Fox in the Forest
Air, Land, & Sea
Tak
Santorini
Patchwork
Ragnarocks

2p Medium
7 Wonders Duel
Watergate
Res Arcana
Race for the Galaxy
Marvel Champions
BattleCON
Antike

2p Heavy
Spirit Island
Blue Moon Legends
Roads and Boats
Tash-Kalar

3-5p Light
Lost Cities Rivals
Condottiere
Nokosu Dice
The Crew Deep Sea
High Society
Railroad Ink
Carcassonne
Tiny Town

3-5p Medium
Scape Goat
Pandemic (Iberia is probably the best stand alone)
The Resistance
Modern Art
Roll for the Galaxy
Through the Desert
Chicago Express
Arboretum

3-5p Heavy
Agricola
A Feast for Odin
Food Chain Magnate
Hansa Teutonica
Dungeon Petz
Pax Pamir 2e
Inis
Root
Keyflower

6p+ Light
Codenames
Wavelength
Skull
Men at Work
Insider
Deep Sea Adventure
A Fake Artist Goes to New York
One Night Ultimate Werewolf

6p+ Medium
Startups
Junk Art (only medium for the person teaching thanks to many game modes, light otherwise)
First Contact
Paper Tales
Flamme Rogue

6p+ Heavy
Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant (ok great at 4+ but this deserves special recognition in this category)

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 24, 2021

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think we all know what the only 7p recommendation must be.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

nrook posted:

Advanced Civilization?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

nrook posted:

Hell yeah, can't get enough Cards Against Humanity, though IMO it only really shines when you get up around 12 players

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

nrook posted:

6 nimmt

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cosmic encounter

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No it's Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant that's why I put the 6+ above Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I skimmed the kdm kickstarter and all I saw was titty minis and monsters and a very high cost. Is it the titty minis? I have a few and my gf just goes "ooh I like her, she's hot and has a nice rack" :shrug:

Was there something in the manual? I couldn't find examples on a quick Google search.

Maybe link me to a post explaining why it was bad if that helps, I couldn't see one skimming the thread

EDIT saw a video saying the base game is $400 and $1600 dollars or so for all the expansions, well that lost me immediately.

game is extremely good but i havent bought any expansions. allegedly they get reprinted and sold every now and then for $60-$150 each so probably not worth paying ebay prices. i love assembling loot and gear and it’s a huge part of this game so it’s really clicking with me. i also love warhammer quest and shadows of brimstone, which are both games that i’ve put a ton of money into (for board games), so i didnt mind dropping for the core box.

all the goons saying it’s a mysoginist rape game or whatever are lying and haven’t played it or are being neo-victorian prudes that hate seeing nudity i guess.

the opening showdown is your survivors clad in nothing but scraps of cloth wrestling a lion to death and couldnt beat you over the head any harder with the classical greek sculpture and myth imagery (hrcules and the nemean lion)

the game is a complete trip and definitely not for everyone but the people making it sound like a creep sex game are totally off base so dont take those criticisms too closely to heart. like even matt mercer called it his goty and that dude is about as woke as they come

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

jarofpiss posted:

like even matt mercer called it his goty and that dude is about as woke as they come

why are you forcing us to read this

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

jarofpiss posted:

game is extremely good but i havent bought any expansions. allegedly they get reprinted and sold every now and then for $60-$150 each so probably not worth paying ebay prices. i love assembling loot and gear and it’s a huge part of this game so it’s really clicking with me. i also love warhammer quest and shadows of brimstone, which are both games that i’ve put a ton of money into (for board games), so i didnt mind dropping for the core box.

all the goons saying it’s a mysoginist rape game or whatever are lying and haven’t played it or are being neo-victorian prudes that hate seeing nudity i guess.

the opening showdown is your survivors clad in nothing but scraps of cloth wrestling a lion to death and couldnt beat you over the head any harder with the classical greek sculpture and myth imagery (hrcules and the nemean lion)

the game is a complete trip and definitely not for everyone but the people making it sound like a creep sex game are totally off base so dont take those criticisms too closely to heart. like even matt mercer called it his goty and that dude is about as woke as they come

gently caress off

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

why are you forcing us to read this

dude wears nail polish what more do you want

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

jarofpiss posted:

dude wears nail polish what more do you want

Better posts than this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
i dont know if i've been here long enough to say this but, the sooner we get a new OP the better