Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

It's nice to know He-Man is still helping you figure out who you are, all these years later.

The government-mandated moral lessons in old 80s cartoons might seem cheesy from an adult perspective, but they really were valuable. I remember Thundercats had a child psychologist on the writing staff who worked to integrate positive messages into the plotlines instead of doing the little PSA at the end that most cartoons did; part of why it stood out as one of the better shows. I think I owe my moral compass to He-Man, Lion-O, and Yoda as much as anyone else.

Toy content: My wife basically made me pick out my own Christmas present at Target. I considered the Chrome He-Man and Battle Cat set, but I just don't feel like I need repaints of those characters, and if I did, the crude "blood" paint splotches kind of ruin those guys for me. They had tons of MOTU stuff I already have, and some Revelations stuff I don't want, and unfortunately no Wind Raider, the one Origins thing I keep hoping to pick up at a store; should probably give up and order online. Anyway, feeling uninspired by said He-Mans in the moment, what I settled on as my "gift" was the Jurassic Park T-Rex and SUV set, which is really pretty objectively amazing. I have no plans to get back into collecting a bunch of JP stuff, but that set is just too cool and I think it will be a good display piece. The original Kenner SUV and big rex were my favorite toys for a while, back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Rhyno, thanks for sharing all of that. It's very brave of you to be vulnerable, and as someone also in the traumatic childhood recovery stage of their life, I appreciate the visibility. I wish you the best with your continued emotional labor.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
This little guy took a TRIP.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I have no plans to get back into collecting a bunch of JP stuff
Narrator: “He got back into collecting JP stuff.”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

This is true.

I spent the last 20 years thinking I didn't need help or was too embarrassed to ask for it. I was ghosted by multiple therapist prior to finding my current one. And while it may not work for everyone it is worth it to everyone to find out if it's a workable solution for you.

I should also mention I am on a cocktail of brain meds as well. Therapy isn't always going to be the solution. Store bought serotonin is just as good as homemade.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Rhyno posted:

I should also mention I am on a cocktail of brain meds as well. Therapy isn't always going to be the solution. Store bought serotonin is just as good as homemade.

Plastic serotonin has been helpful for me after my own signifigant mental health issue and subsequent sobriety. Alcohol is temporary, Fisto is forever.

No pressure, but feel free to DM me anytime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Joe Fisto posted:

Alcohol is temporary
based on my dad's crippling, uncontrollable tremors because he was a lush for decades, this isn't true either

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

based on my dad's crippling, uncontrollable tremors because he was a lush for decades, this isn't true either

I didn't mean the long term effects of alcohol abuse, rather the temporary happiness it may bring. Believe me, I know my way around a bottle all too well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My New Blood Jason FINALLY arrived. It's a Christmas miracle!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Here's the new Savage He-Man next to a little one I "made"

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was able to preorder the new Vegeta off BBTS.

The Gohan preorder sold out really quickly. Is he a super popular character or do they just not make him often?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Joe Fisto posted:

Fisto is forever.

Not according to Kevin Smith! :arghfist::crossarms:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Shiroc posted:

I was able to preorder the new Vegeta off BBTS.

The Gohan preorder sold out really quickly. Is he a super popular character or do they just not make him often?

They've never made him in that outfit, ever, so it's a big deal.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It’s also one of the first figures using the new articulation tech. The last adult Gohan figure (not Saiyaman) was a 1.0 figure. Also, people do really like Gohan, yeah.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I'm torn on the new Gohan. The sculpt is so specific to the new movie; the purple/blue gi he wore in Z had different shoes/belt and different wristband colors. It's closest to his outfit during the manga version of the ToP but even in that he had no bangs. I like to organize my guys by arc so unless I really like the movie enough to give them their own shelf I don't have anywhere to put him. I really hope they reuse the sculpt (with the addition of the undershirt and the Goku boots) to give us a proper 2.0 ultimate Gohan.

Might grab Vegeta though; that one at least can pass for a Buu saga non-Majin version.

Hate the Piccolo. Loved the recent 2.0; this new design for the movie they hosed up his arms. The yellow things on his forearm are supposed to be opposite the bicep one, and there's supposed to be two of them. The new movie design has just one on the forearm right under the bicep one. It's a weird change.

Top is the design for Super Hero; bottom is examples from the manga. Anyway weird nitpick but I've been drawing dragonball guys for a million years so I noticed immediately.
And the rounded shoes are dorky.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Rhyno posted:

Hey guys, rambling nonsense incoming,

Yeah, lots of rambling. I'll probably ramble on some more later.

I mostly lurk in this thread, but you have been a staple of it for a long time.

I really appreciate that you felt comfortable sharing your story.

I'm glad that you're able to work on this stuff and get it out, that is a huge burden to carry

We all have our poo poo, some obviously is worse than others, but you're a shining example to stand by and in my opinion, you are embodying the morals of He-man when sharing your story.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays to all of you out there.

To not be too sappy, my pile of loot has my Mephitor ( mythic legions Stinkor ) and Leo Faker+Duplicate, but I keep waiting for the Illythia wave to come in before I pull that trigger! It's a neverending cycle.

Also gently caress the deluxe Okamiden nendroid. I ordered it two years ago :(

E: I actually just searched online and found I could literally buy the Okami Nendroid on GameStop right now for $10 less than the pre-order on BBTS. :sigh:

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 23, 2021

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

drat, I guess they never did a Iron Spider ML with the legs, huh?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I'm torn on the new Gohan. The sculpt is so specific to the new movie; the purple/blue gi he wore in Z had different shoes/belt and different wristband colors. It's closest to his outfit during the manga version of the ToP but even in that he had no bangs. I like to organize my guys by arc so unless I really like the movie enough to give them their own shelf I don't have anywhere to put him. I really hope they reuse the sculpt (with the addition of the undershirt and the Goku boots) to give us a proper 2.0 ultimate Gohan.

Might grab Vegeta though; that one at least can pass for a Buu saga non-Majin version.

Hate the Piccolo. Loved the recent 2.0; this new design for the movie they hosed up his arms. The yellow things on his forearm are supposed to be opposite the bicep one, and there's supposed to be two of them. The new movie design has just one on the forearm right under the bicep one. It's a weird change.

Top is the design for Super Hero; bottom is examples from the manga. Anyway weird nitpick but I've been drawing dragonball guys for a million years so I noticed immediately.
And the rounded shoes are dorky.

Not sure why round boots are any dorkier than pointy wicked witch boots, but everyone is entitled to their opinion and I've heard that one a lot. I think changing anything bothers people. If Piccolo and Gohan keep the round boots for 30 years, changing them to pointy will bother some people.

I personally love the new figures and designs as, while not 1:1 with how Toriyama always drew/colored them, Piccolo and Goku especially are the closest we've gotten to manga appropriate colors since the very first two figures released in this line over ten years ago. And the movies/anime never got the right colors, so if a muscle (is that even what they are?) placement being slightly altered is what it takes for us to get manga accurate colors, I'll live with it.

The new Piccolo figure makes up for any nitpicks with a) the addition of much better facial expressions, especially the smirk, b) the manga colors as mentioned, c) the all-new sculpted chest with a much better looking shirt with sculpted sleeves and where you can actually see just the top of his abs, which is such an awesome detail.

It's crazy that they went to such lengths to make this an all-new figure when they *just* released a great one last year. Seriously, apart from maybe some hands and maybe his legs, there's no reuse on this Piccolo.

Goku I love just for the manga colors and the new facial expressions which are all gold.

Personally, this Gohan is the exact design I've always wanted: Piccolo-gi colors, and spiky black hair *with* the bang in front. It always irked me when he wore Goku's gi in the Boo saga, so here he is in his correct outfit.

But yeah, like you said, it's all personal preference, but these 3 are dream figures for a DB manga fan like me.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
I just found out that the Adventure Time-esque Thundercats show actually got released and I totally missed this. Was it any good?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I watched some of it with my kids, it isn't terrible but I don't have any desire to go back and finish it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/ty_rannos/status/1474097548319236110?s=21

My collection begins.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Speaking as both a pretty big fan of Thundercats, and someone who is not usually bothered by radical re-imaginings of the cartoons I enjoyed in my youth: I'm absolutely not going anywhere near that "Thundercats Roar" poo poo. In this particular instance, I do take offense at its very existence. Aside from looking in all ways like absolute dogshit, that really rubs salt in the wound regarding the premature cancellation of the excellent 2011 remake series.

If you want to watch some Thundercats, just fire up the old 1985 show. It holds up relatively well!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I do have to say that the arm redesign on the Piccolo figure is rather weird though.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Nodosaur posted:

drat, I guess they never did a Iron Spider ML with the legs, huh?

Do you mean the MCU Iron-Spider or the comic version?

There is an MCU Iron-Spider with the legs as part of this two-pack:

https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Mvl-Legends-80th-ANV/dp/B07JND9SC1

For the comic version there was an Iron Spider-Man figure as part of the Spider-Man Signature Series several years back but an upgraded version is coming out for the Spider-Man 60th Anniversary line next year:

https://marvelousnews.com/252-29582

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Peyote Panda posted:

Do you mean the MCU Iron-Spider or the comic version?

There is an MCU Iron-Spider with the legs as part of this two-pack:

https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Mvl-Legends-80th-ANV/dp/B07JND9SC1

For the comic version there was an Iron Spider-Man figure as part of the Spider-Man Signature Series several years back but an upgraded version is coming out for the Spider-Man 60th Anniversary line next year:

https://marvelousnews.com/252-29582

I meant the MCU one, and thank you for pointing that out to me

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Got Masterverse Stinkor today. This guy is top 10 of the year for me. Amazing figure. If he smelled like patchouli he'd be even better, but oh well. I wish I could take photos well enough to capture that.

Two Stinkors in one year, its a good time to be an anthropomorphic skunk man.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Nodosaur posted:

I meant the MCU one, and thank you for pointing that out to me
Glad to help! I was looking for that same thing a few months back and only found out about that two-pack by a lucky accident. I don't know if it was because the two-pack was an exclusive or what but there was oddly very little mention of it anywhere.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

This very fancy MCU Iron Spider is also easy to find currently, and should scale well with Marvel Legends:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/111458

Depending on what eBay prices look like for an older Legends figure, could be a relatively good deal, and probably a better toy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nerd Of Prey posted:

This very fancy MCU Iron Spider is also easy to find currently, and should scale well with Marvel Legends:

Depending on what eBay prices look like for an older Legends figure, could be a relatively good deal, and probably a better toy.

I can get Iron Spider on his own for 50, but you’re kinda tempting me. Hm.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Nerd Of Prey posted:

FWIW, I've picked up a couple of MAFEX figures and they did fit in well with my Marvel Legends figures but the product details above include the figure's exact height if you want to see how it would fit in with your collection.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Joe Fisto posted:

Got Masterverse Stinkor today. This guy is top 10 of the year for me. Amazing figure. If he smelled like patchouli he'd be even better, but oh well. I wish I could take photos well enough to capture that.

Two Stinkors in one year, its a good time to be an anthropomorphic skunk man.

Seconded. He's the star of that wave for sure.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

RIP Mark Taylor. He Man was a huge part of my childhood growing up, amd not having a dad around was sort of my first role model. Gonna have to watch the He Man TtMU later, I think.

Also Rhyno, thanks for sharing your story. Your love of collecting He Man has always made me feel like a kid again and I'm glad you're making progress.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Shiftypenguin posted:

Seconded. He's the star of that wave for sure.

I'd put him at the #1 for the Masterverse line. I'd have Fisto higher, if he didn't bare his midriff all the time, but I still really like the fig and I am totally not biased in favor of Fisto figures. Scareglow and Evil Lyn are really good as well. I have the Mattel Creations SG, not sure about the standard release. Spikor would probably round out my top 5, because why the gently caress did they make Spikor so early in the line?

Four Horseman Krampus came in today. I don't have any other 4H figs to compare it to, but its a drat solid toy. I don't think it'll get me into Mythic Leigons or anything, but I am glad I was able to grab it at retail.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Of the figures released so far I really like the Man At Arms.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The masterverse line has me hook and

Stinkor

I'm so sorry

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is there any chance they’re gonna do Masterverse-articulated figures from the new kid-targeted show? I love those designs but the gimmick figures aren’t what I need in my collection.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

Is there any chance they’re gonna do Masterverse-articulated figures from the new kid-targeted show? I love those designs but the gimmick figures aren’t what I need in my collection.

They have teased at least one.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rhyno posted:

They have teased at least one.

Oh?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, they showed and empty Masterverse box with that shows logo on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, they showed and empty Masterverse box with that shows logo on it.

Ah. It’ll probably be He-Man