Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The reason for the CVT only on the upper trims is Subaru thinks that they need to push eyesight at every opportunity and has made no moves to make it work with a manual transmission even though companies like VW have adaptive cruise with manuals and there's no reason at all why lane keeping should be an automatic transmission only feature.

So, they either have to price the MT premium option too high for all the safety features they cut out or they have to create a bigger delta between the MT and CVT models which means there would be even less uptake of the CVT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

The WRX sells primarily because Subaru people are intensely loyal. The WRX is also the only new car with AWD and a manual transmission that is reasonably affordable (though it certainly seems like most people have compromised on either option to not have to drive a WRX.)

WRX/STi still kinda feel like they're in a class of one in addition to the persistent loyalty

I think Subaru could almost do whatevs and still sell 'em

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

dk2m posted:

Isn’t the WRX marketed as upscale over there? Maybe not quite BMW 3 series, but somewhat close. If that’s the case, then it makes more sense to keep the autos around

"Not quite BMW 3 series" is a big understatement. A loaded WRX is still cheaper than the barest bones 330i, and 15k less than a no-options 340i. Throw in AWD and some options the difference grows even more. The 3er is in a different league. Even a loaded WRX is a far cry from upscale, granted better than in the past.

The only folks cross-shopping a WRX vs. a 3-series would be the short list of people looking for a manual transmission sporty sedan, and now that's not even possible with a non-M 3-series anymore.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

bull3964 posted:

The reason for the CVT only on the upper trims is Subaru thinks that they need to push eyesight at every opportunity and has made no moves to make it work with a manual transmission even though companies like VW have adaptive cruise with manuals and there's no reason at all why lane keeping should be an automatic transmission only feature.

So, they either have to price the MT premium option too high for all the safety features they cut out or they have to create a bigger delta between the MT and CVT models which means there would be even less uptake of the CVT.

That would be a pretty big cop out

Toyota has those safety features on the $20k 6mt Corolla, and Toyota is their #1 share holder.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

WRX/STi still kinda feel like they're in a class of one in addition to the persistent loyalty

I think Subaru could almost do whatevs and still sell 'em

The only other vehicles with AWD and a manual that you can buy new are the M3 (expensive, crummy manual from all reports I've seen) and the Golf R, which has an interior that is a usability disaster.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Godzilla07 posted:

The WRX sells primarily because Subaru people are intensely loyal. The WRX is also the only new car with AWD and a manual transmission that is reasonably affordable (though it certainly seems like most people have compromised on either option to not have to drive a WRX.)

I remember talking to a guy with a WRX, and out of nowhere he gave me a bunch of Subaru swag he just had in his back seat. That WRX was the 4th one he owned, and he got real evasive when I asked what happened to the other 3.

Also his current WRX was a CVT.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

no lube so what posted:

That would be a pretty big cop out

Toyota has those safety features on the $20k 6mt Corolla, and Toyota is their #1 share holder.

Subaru isn't using Toyota's systems though. They have their own homegrown system using just cameras and it's a big part of their safety identity.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

bull3964 posted:

Subaru isn't using Toyota's systems though. They have their own homegrown system using just cameras and it's a big part of their safety identity.

Rats, objectively wrong again

The more you know :)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

It's a good system too but it's been around for like 12 years now so they're probably never going to make it work with the manual.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Guinness posted:

"Not quite BMW 3 series" is a big understatement. A loaded WRX is still cheaper than the barest bones 330i, and 15k less than a no-options 340i. Throw in AWD and some options the difference grows even more. The 3er is in a different league. Even a loaded WRX is a far cry from upscale, granted better than in the past.

The only folks cross-shopping a WRX vs. a 3-series would be the short list of people looking for a manual transmission sporty sedan, and now that's not even possible with a non-M 3-series anymore.

This was me when I bought a BMW 335ix.

The general shiftiness of Subaru dealers in my area and the fact that the STI was within $5k of a bare bones 6 speed 335i was all I needed to make up my mind.

Yeah it wasn’t as hardcore as the STI but that car but the dealers let me drive it and didn’t give me the whole “You already know what you’re getting” bullshit when I asked to test drive one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dissss posted:

It's a good system too but it's been around for like 12 years now so they're probably never going to make it work with the manual.

Yeah, which is why they are doubling down on CVT for premium trims.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Godzilla07 posted:

Technically you can get a crosstrek with the 2.0 liter and a manual but from personal experience they do not exist in reality

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Franco Caution posted:

gently caress the new WRX. Every single point is a "well actually" from Subaru.

-Why no Hatch?
-Small HP bump?
- Body Cladding?
-Shelf rear end?
-CVT only top model?
-Stupid loving Infotainment screen garbage?

Id love to see it sell like poo poo, but I know somehow it wont. Im sure the CVT top model with a 5 inch lift from the factory in year 2 will be the best selling WRX of all time.

The realllly lovely part is that the Levorg STi exists so we have proof that a good looking WRX can exist, along with a long roof model.

Koirhor posted:

Technically you can get a crosstrek with the 2.0 liter and a manual but from personal experience they do not exist in reality

I would be slapping money down so fast if the Crosstrek was available with a manual and turbo, but Subaru seems adamant on never offering it to the point of CUVing the WRX. The GR Corolla might be our last hope.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Crosstrek does however borrow some of Toyota's HSD tech for its hybrid though.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Koirhor posted:

I have a 19 Crosstrek manual. Tuned to delete the rev hang and some shifter parts made it a great do everything car while I wait for my Bronco.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

BrownieVK posted:

I have a 19 Crosstrek manual. Tuned to delete the rev hang and some shifter parts made it a great do everything car while I wait for my Bronco.

Looks nice. Sparco Terras look so cool on chunky Subarus, I have them on my FXT

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

The existence of the Levorg STi pisses me off so much. As does the existence of the Impreza hatch/wagon. If those didnt exist, Subaru could say "we cant make the WRX or STi in either of those flavors because DEVELOPMENT COSTS. But they both loving exist now.
I saw in the Demuro video he said he asked Subaru about the hatch and they said something like "we could either spend all the time and money on making the sedan the greatest thing ever, or if we had made a hatch too then the car would be half as great." gently caress off. Your acting like you had to set up a skunkworks studio and start with clay, a pile of parts, and a dream. Its all there. You just have to put it together. Oh poo poo wait, you already kinda did with the Levorg.

The other lovely part is we are in what, year 15 of "man i swear car model ________ from manufacturer _________ is really going to force Subaru to change and make the WRX and STi better. Yep. This one is the one that makes them see the error in their ways"

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

The realllly lovely part is that the Levorg STi exists so we have proof that a good looking WRX can exist, along with a long roof model.

You know what's even better? For 2022 Subaru is killing the Levorg name in Australia (and I'd assume all right-hand markets globally, but it's still the Levorg STI Sport R in Japan, at least for now...) so the Levorg now is the WRX wagon. Never mind just how much better the 2022 WRX wagon, nee Levorg, looks vs the sedan.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-subaru-wrx-sportswagon-photos-details/
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/2022-subaru-levorg-to-morph-into-wrx-wagon

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 23, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I would be slapping money down so fast if the Crosstrek was available with a manual and turbo, but Subaru seems adamant on never offering it to the point of CUVing the WRX. The GR Corolla might be our last hope.

The Levorg / WRX wagon STI is a cosmetic package only. There are no performance enhancements at all - and as I found out specing my Levorg, the cosmetics are cheaper to just order than to get the "STi" package. All I'm missing is the red shift lever.

EnergizerFellow posted:

You know what's even better? For 2022 Subaru is killing the Levorg name in Australia (and I'd assume globally...) so the Levorg now is the WRX wagon. Never mind just how much better the 2022 WRX wagon, nee Levorg, looks vs the sedan.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-subaru-wrx-sportswagon-photos-details/

It's basically just admitting the Levorg name was loving weird and the car is genuinely in truth a WRX wagon and it's taken them 4 years to work out seperate nameplates was a dumb idea.

quote:

The WRX sells primarily because Subaru people are intensely loyal

I started to make a count of all the Subarus I've had in the last 20 years and gave up in horror at 27. And I know I missed some.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Maybe check under your bed or the linen closet :)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Subarus are genuinely pretty unique cars to be fair, be interesting to see how well that existing customer loyalty holds up once everything goes EV and they’re just ugly shitboxes with no mechanical uniqueness left

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

Maybe check under your bed or the linen closet :)

Under the bed is Subaru wheels and the linen cupboard Subaru steering columns and pedal assemblies so that now reminded me that the count is 31.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
All this talk about AWD japanese wagons and hatches and blah blah blah but not a single person is trying to make me a new Tercel 4WD. Shameful.

:colbert:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Mr. Wiggles posted:

All this talk about AWD japanese wagons and hatches and blah blah blah but not a single person is trying to make me a new Tercel 4WD. Shameful.

Only AWD car with a manual you say? Sounds like a niche Mitsubishi could take over with a new Expo (or Expo LRV). Bubble Japan made the coolest poo poo ever.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There's an AWD prius that is that in spirit.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Powershift posted:

Whoah now, a Prius is way too fast. We need to be thinking slower here.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What is the Crosstrek if not the modern Tercel 4WD Wagon?

PBCrunch posted:

Only AWD car with a manual you say? Sounds like a niche Mitsubishi could take over with a new Expo (or Expo LRV). Bubble Japan made the coolest poo poo ever.

Sorry bud, Mitsubishi is the new Daewoo :rip:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Godzilla07 posted:

What is the Crosstrek if not the modern Tercel 4WD Wagon?

Also the Yaris Cross and Corolla Cross exist. Dunno about manual tho.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

after 2020-2021 i think i want one

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PBCrunch posted:

Only AWD car with a manual you say?

Why does everyone say this like the Golf R isn't a car that exists?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PT6A posted:

Why does everyone say this like the Golf R isn't a car that exists?

Well, I mean, currently it doesn't.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Subarus are genuinely pretty unique cars to be fair, be interesting to see how well that existing customer loyalty holds up once everything goes EV and they’re just ugly shitboxes with no mechanical uniqueness left

Since most people don't know much about platform sharing they will go "look at my unique subaru EV" (that's actually just a Toyota).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bull3964 posted:

Well, I mean, currently it doesn't.

There's a 2022 Golf R.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
My mom had an 83 Tercel wagon 4wd manual that I WISH I inherited because it’d be the perfect car for fuckin around in the desert and camping out in the stars. Shame there’s nothing like it anymore :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LibCrusher posted:

My mom had an 83 Tercel wagon 4wd manual that I WISH I inherited because it’d be the perfect car for fuckin around in the desert and camping out in the stars. Shame there’s nothing like it anymore :(

There's one from around that year in my neighborhood that I see street parked once in a while. It seems to be well cared for. :unsmith:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

LibCrusher posted:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Does that have low range :colbert:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PT6A posted:

There's a 2022 Golf R.

I don't think it has actually hit lots yet.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Also even before COVID carpocalypse the prior gen Golf R could be hard to acquire depending on where you lived. I had an order in for 6 months shortly after release before I canceled because I didn't even have a build date. When I tried to buy one at the end of its run after hearing about production stopping I could only find 1 listed at a dealer and it turned out to still be in transit and sold within hours of delivery. The one person I personally know with one had to go out of state to get it.

Even with the terrible infotainment system and ho-hum power upgrade people are still putting in more orders for the 2022 than many dealers have initial allocations for and in the EU they're nearly a year behind on orders from my understanding.

Don't really understand why VW is stingy with them, they've charged enough the last 2 gens it seems unlikely they lose money on them, don't know why they refuse to make more to cash in on the interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

LibCrusher posted:

I feel like there's something to be said about sentiment like this, the general trend of cars moving upmarket and a headline I read just now that Dacia has became the top selling brand in France this year, outselling traditional French makes, but I'm not clever enough to formulate the thought.

Here's an attempt: It sucks that you guys don't get the Duster in North America. It sounds like it's the perfect all-rounder vehicle for most use cases, including that one.

Edit: It is a SUV though, so scratch that.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 24, 2021