Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

RE Part 107 training.
I did some YouTube videos and passed.

Tony Northrup
The drone Coach
Altitude university
Then I watched a video or 2 on the newer stuff about night flight and flight over people

If you can do a PSI testing site it'll save you somem cash since you don't need to pay for the site fee too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Here's some random vlogger on what the FAA told him. The 107 test isn't exactly cheap, but it's nothing compared to a $100k fine if at some point the FAA decides to start issuing fines for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDiJXIXedFQ&t=143s

If it's never really posted to the public you'd probably get away with it, but it's too much risk for me given that I'm looking to earn other FAA certs in the future.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah general everything I've read or heard.

Faa: hey you should get a part 107
Person: oh okay sorry
Faa: don't post anything more till you get one
(Choice 1: everyone walks away)
Choice 2
Person keeps posting
Faa: oh you wanna gently caress around
Person: finds out.

$100-200 bucks is decent for piece of mind to know that if they change their mind and start punishing first try that you aren't paying fines out the rear end.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So I got a DJI Mini SE for Christmas…and during my first flight I hit some tall grass with a propeller.if it looks and flys fine, am I Ok not to replace the propeller yet?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

you're fine, only change if it's missing chunks or deformed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah look at it side-on (perpendicular to the prop shaft) and make sure the blades are still in line axially (no up/down wobble). Other than that, check for cracks and chips

If that’s all good, then send it.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Yeah general everything I've read or heard.

Faa: hey you should get a part 107
Person: oh okay sorry
Faa: don't post anything more till you get one
(Choice 1: everyone walks away)
Choice 2
Person keeps posting
Faa: oh you wanna gently caress around
Person: finds out.

$100-200 bucks is decent for piece of mind to know that if they change their mind and start punishing first try that you aren't paying fines out the rear end.

This would only apply if you have a Youtube account that generates money, right? Posting normie videos that don’t generate revenue should be OK I would think?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bouillon Rube posted:

This would only apply if you have a Youtube account that generates money, right? Posting normie videos that don’t generate revenue should be OK I would think?

it's all real real grey honestly.

It's my understating that "Furtherance" is not limited to monetary exchange, it can be self promotion, social media points etc. Will the FAA hit you with a fine no, could they maybe yell at ya, maybe they'll find you yell at you and tell you to get your 107, yes. If you want to really play lawyer-it-up technicality man: Your videos being on YouTube sill are a furtherance of YouTube, while YOU personally don't directly profit off of it alphabet gets a tenth of a penny every time someone looks at it.

Basically.. without a 107 you can only fly for "Fun" or learning, without any other intention "hey I'm gunna go out and fly around this area and get some pictures to play with the camera" and Technically you COULD even sell your pictures. Lets say you went to a park or someshit, and an airplane crashed why you were filming for fun and you got video of it, you can sell it to the news and make bank, obviously you could only get away with this in specific circumstances before the FAA decides its time to get hit with fines.

I do NOT do regular commercial work, I do put videos on youtube and have a blog of my bike rides and videos I shot on social media. I got my 107 because it really wasn't that hard and the $100 I paid was an insurance policy (your costs may vary depending if you have a PSI testing site near you). I learned several things that were useful and a lot of poo poo that wasn't but overall now I believe it's easier to file airspace deviation's with LAANC / outside of LAANC, and I have the license in case they decide that they want to make it for everyone / harder.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

How could they realistically track you down from a random Youtube post anyway? Like I’m sure it’s technically possible but probably a ton of work unless your Youtube profile has your actual name and contact info?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I can't say how much work it would be , but they really just need to get your IP from Youtube and have it forwarded to you / get your details through your provider. Again, I have no idea how much effort that would be, but from my limited viewing experience the tremendous fuckups are monetized out the rear end so it's not a huge issue.

Don't be this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQDcDZ6rmGE

Or do, I'm not you're real dad.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cyberlux-corporation-announces-mr-paul-123000220.html

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
If you monetized your youtube channel you gave them your bank information which includes your address.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah Google has an entire division to deal with government requests, no joke

Presumably if you use the same account for Gmail and YouTube they would also pull the invoice/reciept for the drone/s you ordered, which would produce a pretty damning evidence chain

Heaven help you if you have Google maps installed on your phone, that thing tracks all your travel moment, would put you at the scene in addition to the video and financial info. The only way you could make things easier for the FAA would be to preemptively mail them a guilty plea

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Most of what I've heard is that faa folks are pretty kind and mostly give you a 'hey get a 107 you're operating illegally' message to you. If you ignore that hooo boy better have nice deep pockets.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bouillon Rube posted:

How could they realistically track you down from a random Youtube post anyway? Like I’m sure it’s technically possible but probably a ton of work unless your Youtube profile has your actual name and contact info?
The subpoena alphabet who spills allll the beans then they give you a call?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
https://thedroneracingleague.com/dronebed/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I sleep in a big pair of FPV goggles with my wife :dudsmile:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Finally, a use for my unsupported monoculus rift

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve still got mine kicking around somewhere.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, I guess DJI is doing the Spotify wrap thing.

I’m not sure about this data because I know for a fact I’ve flown in more than 7 cities, and 196 minutes is like 6.5 batteries worth, which is waaaay off

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Do range extenders like this actually work? I have to think that, if they did, DJI would just integrate the tech into their remotes

https://www.amazon.com/Tomat-Yagi-U...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

With my somewhat limited knowledge of antenna construction and looking at those: lol, no!
They're using very thick directors/reflectors and using the base antenna as a collector?.
Oh hang, they claim that the black bit is the collector and yet it has no actual connection to the receiver?

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 10, 2022

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Uhhhhh what?

My logbook says otherwise. I wonder why DJI isn't capturing my flights.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bouillon Rube posted:

Do range extenders like this actually work? I have to think that, if they did, DJI would just integrate the tech into their remotes

https://www.amazon.com/Tomat-Yagi-U...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

They dont beamfocus the signal, there are no powered electronics to amplify the signal, and its cribbing the old TV antenna design, which I believe was the way it was to capture a range of signals (hence why they were triangle shaped).

Placebo at best is my thought

Honestly you'd probably have better luck with a metal bowl behind your remote to reflect the signal outwards

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly you'd probably have better luck with a metal bowl behind your remote to reflect the signal outwards

Something like this?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Random post: Does anyone here have any experience flying in the DC metro area? Note that I am in the eastern suburbs, outside of the nodronezone.

I just got a mini 2 and plan to fly it vanilla, so I am under the weight threshold technically to register the drone with the FAA. I've completed the TRUST test and have my certificate. When I look at the flight restrictions in my area, I'm in the SFRA zone. https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/community_engagement/no_drone_zone/dc/

Am I correct in assuming that if I have my certificate, stay below 400ft, and follow the other general rules, I will be safe to fly? Should I register the drone? The rules seem to imply that in order to fly in the space, I need to register, but there is a contradictory statement about sub 250g drones. It's confusing to me and I'm not interested in getting fined because I want to fly the thing around my backyard.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That website makes it unclear, it's 5bux to register and you've already taken the TRUST test so I'd rather be safe than sorry.
My assumption though is that it wouldnt' need to be registered that it's a 'normal flight zone" so normal rules apply.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

tater_salad posted:

That website makes it unclear, it's 5bux to register and you've already taken the TRUST test so I'd rather be safe than sorry.
My assumption though is that it wouldnt' need to be registered that it's a 'normal flight zone" so normal rules apply.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking exactly... Register the thing and don't be stupid with it.

That website, by the way, is what I'm directed to when I check the b4ufly app for flight restrictions.

Maybe that's why there aren't many drones around here. Interestingly enough though, there are plenty of small private planes tooling around the sky above my house so how difficult can the restrictions be it this far from DC?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Yeah, this is what I was thinking exactly... Register the thing and don't be stupid with it.

That website, by the way, is what I'm directed to when I check the b4ufly app for flight restrictions.

Maybe that's why there aren't many drones around here. Interestingly enough though, there are plenty of small private planes tooling around the sky above my house so how difficult can the restrictions be it this far from DC?

Private planes have radios where they can get clearance or they were vectored that way for landing at an airport, there's many airports in that restricted rea.. but your gunna need to be in touch with a tower at all times. Drones don't have that capability and the FAA doesn't want the tower to deal with 50 ppl with drones trying to get clearance. You could try to get approval to fly in that zone with a drone through the FAA as well.

in terms of not that many drones..I live in a populated area and know several folks with drones, yet I really don't encounter drones in any real capacity. In the past 3ish years the only time was when I saw a guy violating multiple rules flying at night filming a fireworks thing over people.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I would definitely register a DJI mini only as a CYA maneuver. As far as if you can fly, what you have looks right to me. Make sure you’re filing with LAANC before you do though.

If you want to drill a little deeper, this link takes you to the master list of section charts that are meant for VFR pilots, but it’s worth getting familiar with the different types of airspace for drone purposes.
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/vfr/

E: Oh wow, I checked out the other link given, so, just no drones in DC huh?

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 20, 2022

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

nomad2020 posted:

I would definitely register a DJI mini only as a CYA maneuver. As far as if you can fly, what you have looks right to me. Make sure you’re filing with LAANC before you do though.

If you want to drill a little deeper, this link takes you to the master list of section charts that are meant for VFR pilots, but it’s worth getting familiar with the different types of airspace for drone purposes.
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/vfr/

E: Oh wow, I checked out the other link given, so, just no drones in DC huh?

Yeah, that is what I read about in DC. Pretty sure it's been like that since someone crashed a drone on the WH lawn in 2015 or whatever. I'm far enough away that it's relaxed I suppose, but I'm still shocked that I need to file to fly around, this far away from DC. Probably just my unfamiliarity with the whole topic and the rules of general aviation...

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Building my first digital FPV quad.

In a general sense , are the Air Unit plugs in flight controllers the same as for vista?

If I have a vista? Can I safely plug into a DJI air unit plug? Or does that always assume 4s voltage?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Follow-up: can I use any 2.4ghz antenna for ELRS such as old xm+ antennas.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

tater_salad posted:

in terms of not that many drones..I live in a populated area and know several folks with drones, yet I really don't encounter drones in any real capacity. In the past 3ish years the only time was when I saw a guy violating multiple rules flying at night filming a fireworks thing over people.

I've always wondered about this. Are cops or whoever able to track drones and link it to someone? Do they have to physically follow it back to the person controlling it?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah they use a "sticker" drone that attaches a homing beacon to the bottom, and then they follow the beacon back to the owner. If they can't attach the beacon mid-air, they will shoot it down and pull any prints off them and add it to the FBI print database for future cross reference.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Hadlock posted:

Yeah they use a "sticker" drone that attaches a homing beacon to the bottom, and then they follow the beacon back to the owner. If they can't attach the beacon mid-air, they will shoot it down and pull any prints off them and add it to the FBI print database for future cross reference.

The ones near me use their spy satellites, sometimes the one with the big laser to take down the drone if it’s especially ornery

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh yeah good point; yeah if you're above 40 degrees lattitude (think south of Oregon, Wyoming, PA) the accuracy from geostationary sattelite lasers falls way off (too much Z axis) and they they switch over to other methods, south of that they just heat up and stop working

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I don’t remember this bit from the test, but I do remember the bit where the FAA explicitly says I’m allowed to fly around ports, and that the postmaster is required to report it to the DHS if they feel froggy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I've always wondered about this. Are cops or whoever able to track drones and link it to someone? Do they have to physically follow it back to the person controlling it?
I thought every rear end in a top hat would have a drone by now but it seems they're still pretty niche. Even in touristy places the only time I've seen other people flying was in Iceland.

As for tracking, I think there might be a requirement to broadcast the ID in the future(??) but so far the only way they can track you is if you crash and they can check the serial or the ID like we're supposed to have in the EU. Theoretically they could maybe track by the signal in real time but that's just not gonna happen unless you're flying over the white house or something.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

(In the US) remote ID will be required from September 16, 2023 on, unless it gets delayed again.

(Also in the US) If you’re filing LAANC requests they’d probably be able to figure it out. Other than that it’s old fashioned war driving to track the signal I think. Maybe subpoena DJI or whoever for flight records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ugh that means I get to buy some kind of addon remote ID bullshit hu?

I really wish 'old drones don't count ' was a thing but i don't think so