Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Powershift posted:

e: Jason Kenney and Jason Copping are blaming Trudeau for not getting them enough rapid tests, even after saying they only shipped 500,000 of the 2.5 million they had last week.
e2: They just banned dancing, This is footloose all over again!

1) You'll see that Alberta was shipped over 13 million tests, the second most of all the provinces only behind Ontario, of which about 15% are accounted for. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/symptoms/testing/increased-supply.html

2) Only dancing not done on a stage, and even then only from the 24th onwards. But they set last call at 11, which is an hour later than the last time they did this Do-si-do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

PittTheElder posted:

I was trying to book a booster shot today but the search tool was showing exactly one location in all of Calgary that was doing Moderna shots. Meanwhile my coworkers could see dozens of locations after entering the exact same information...

Seems like pharmacies shifted to walk-in when the third dose criteria expanded today. Could be worth a wander tomorrow, if you can.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Due to the efforts of my wife we both got our boosters yesterday (Ottawa). So far, least vaccination arm pains out of any of them. Almost zero.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Fidelitious posted:

Due to the efforts of my wife we both got our boosters yesterday (Ottawa). So far, least vaccination arm pains out of any of them. Almost zero.

Nice - my wife got hers yesterday in Kanata which was a zoo, I get mine today

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sashimi posted:

My workplace had a positive case on our production line last week. As soon as we found out this employee had a positive result, everything got shut down and everyone was told to go home and get tested. Thankfully there were zero new cases amongst any staff, in no small part because we have a mandatory vaccination policy and a very strong culture of wearing masks.

Lol Purolator hit 42 active cases in one depot last November and refused to do anything in the eternal game of chicken every logistics company is playing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

256 in Winnipeg alone. :lol:

Moments before death. And our dumb gently caress premier is nowhere to be scene. Hope she rots.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Moments before death. And our dumb gently caress premier is nowhere to be scene. Hope she rots.

I keep forgetting it’s no longer pallister. I can’t tell the difference.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/StaySaif/status/1473725572429844485

https://twitter.com/StaySaif/status/1473750602958000128

Just can't stop being loving clowns. not even for Christmas.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Powershift posted:

Alberta NDP MLA Thomas Dang had police execute a search warrant on his house.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-mla-thomas-dang-resigns-from-ndp-caucus-after-rcmp-searches-home-1.6294219

They're saying it's related to when they hosed up the vax record website and you could access anybody else's info, I'm guessing he probably used it to look at the vax status of UCP members.

It straight up sounds like they're punishing him for reporting a security vulnerability (and also being an MLA for the wrong political party).

They also searched the place while he wasn't there, so unless he lives with other people, it sounds like they broke in to do that?

Also lol at all the headlines going "NDP MLA steps down after RCMP raids his house", making him sound like a criminal, not the victim of RCMP malfeasance.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Vintersorg posted:

Good thing I moved to Brandon :smug: (don't move to Brandon)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Why not? Too many Let's go Brandon jokes or not enough?

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

9000 cases today in Quebec.

As a result, Legault just announced he intends to do nothing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Until december 26, a day selected for reasons of official secularity

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

McGavin posted:

Why not? Too many Let's go Brandon jokes or not enough?

Brandon's the home of the reborn british monarchy in fallout so too many.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gros Tarla posted:

controversial, yet brave

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

6 year old got her first shot yesterday. Today she had a headache, barfed, headache again, barfed again, then had a 2 hour nap and has been running around chasing her brother and friends outside for like 4 hours now. Kids are insanely resilient lol. Boggles the mind.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I keep forgetting it’s no longer pallister.

So does Heather Stefanson.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I keep forgetting it’s no longer pallister. I can’t tell the difference.

How can you not forget? If it was Pallister, he would have done AT LEAST two finger wags and three "Shame on you Manitoba" by now.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Gros Tarla posted:

After what happened with the leaked info, I am not surprised.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Ontario also hit a record but I can’t stress how hard it is to get a PCR test in Toronto. I have 4 people in my friend group that tested positive on a rapid test and have basically given up trying to get a PCR to confirm. It’s fine for them but it means there are a ton of people not being counted in the statistics, and it seems intentional. I walked by a testing centre near me and it was completely empty other than the staff.

The news from other countries re Omicron hospitalization is very positive, but man gently caress this shady government. How have we not figured out testing two years into this?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ontario has, they simply have scaled back from their promises to expand capacity after the first failure to meet the needs of the system. The second wave turned out okay without needing to be 75k per day so it was TIME TO CUT. Ford's government operates like a business, only concerned about the short-term benefits of anything they're paying for, minimizing it when they don't "need" it (cherry pick the statistics that support their already chosen conclusion), and if it persists well it's someone else's problem gently caress the long-term.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

I'm really not looking forward to whatever mutates out of omicron. Imagining this virality with even a small increase in lethality has me pretty freaked out. Doesn't a huge infection sample like this essentially guarantee new variants?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

StoicRomance posted:

I'm really not looking forward to whatever mutates out of omicron. Imagining this virality with even a small increase in lethality has me pretty freaked out. Doesn't a huge infection sample like this essentially guarantee new variants?

Viruses generally mutate to be less deadly so they can persist. If too many people die, the virus doesn’t spread and reproduce well enough and it quickly dies with the people it kills. If things worked the way you said, the Spanish flu would’ve persisted until it turned into a globe spanning airborne bubonic plague.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

StoicRomance posted:

It doesn't help, but you shouldn't think of the variants as sequential either. Omicron is largely unrelated to say, Delta, and the next variant might be completely unrelated to Omicron.

The WHO also pointed out in a piece this week that vaccine boosters are not going to solve the problem, as covid will continue to run rampant in the developing world. The vaccination rate there is real low, a combination of them being less able to afford it, and because the rich nations keep hoovering up all the supply.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kraftwerk posted:

Viruses generally mutate to be less deadly so they can persist. If too many people die, the virus doesn’t spread and reproduce well enough and it quickly dies with the people it kills. If things worked the way you said, the Spanish flu would’ve persisted until it turned into a globe spanning airborne bubonic plague.

Sorry this contradicts the scientific outbreak simulator "plague inc". Viruses level up by infecting more people and persisting in order to unlock more advanced and deadly abilities with the goal being human extinction.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I know in BC they had shut down a bunch of test sites, presumably banking on COVID being "over" with vaccination rates being high.

And now the wait times in Vancouver are approaching four hours. At least they've extended the hours to 8am to 7pm, so you still have a reasonable chance of actually getting tested as long as you show up before 3pm I guess.

http://www.edwaittimes.ca/COVIDTestingWaitTime.aspx

Yeah ordering some rapid tests... but every supplier is backlogged until mid-January sometime.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

StoicRomance posted:

The bar is much higher, whatever mutations occur would need to be more fit to stand a chance against omicron. It's much more likely that a ton of less fit variants spawn from this and fizzle out. With that said, it can happen.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Gros Tarla posted:

What’s making Quebec spike so much earlier than say Ontario? Is there that much more population density?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Lol just refreshed the wait time site for Vancouver, and it's up to five hours now.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

CanPol thread made me feel better, it's a Christmas miracle and you're all responsible.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I know in BC they had shut down a bunch of test sites, presumably banking on COVID being "over" with vaccination rates being high.

And now the wait times in Vancouver are approaching four hours. At least they've extended the hours to 8am to 7pm, so you still have a reasonable chance of actually getting tested as long as you show up before 3pm I guess.

http://www.edwaittimes.ca/COVIDTestingWaitTime.aspx

Yeah ordering some rapid tests... but every supplier is backlogged until mid-January sometime.

Lol I remember, last September, that the Tricities only had one testing site and two people working it for all three municipalities. The health authority only did something when they finally burned out and had to close the testing site.

No one has learned anything.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Randalor posted:

How can you not forget? If it was Pallister, he would have done AT LEAST two finger wags and three "Shame on you Manitoba" by now.

I generally forget Manitoba exists in my day to day life.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
same.

there's also at least one atlantic province i've completely forgotten the existence of

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

What’s making Quebec spike so much earlier than say Ontario? Is there that much more population density?
I'm wondering if the difference is that their testing infrastructure is less lovely than Ontario's, so their numbers are merely more accurate.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Ontario basically doesn't have testing right now. Ottawa and London are saying "if you feel sick, just assume you have COVID and isolate, don't book a test" and everywhere else it's like 4-5 days before you can find an appointment (I checked Hamilton yesterday out of curiosity and it doesn't even let you look for test appointments, it just gives you a message that everything is booked and check back in a few days)

Based on the growth we were seeing prior to testing getting overwhelmed, we should be well over 10K by now.

There's an outbreak at my wife's work and they basically have had to do contact tracing themselves and rely on rapid tests.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sashimi posted:

I'm wondering if the difference is that their testing infrastructure is less lovely than Ontario's, so their numbers are merely more accurate.

Yeah Stage 1 of capitalist pandemic response is "maybe if we don't acknowledge it it will just blow over"

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yinlock posted:

Yeah Stage 1 of capitalist pandemic response is "maybe if we don't acknowledge it it will just blow over"

I love that this mentality persists until the infrastructure they rely so heavily on, like warehouses and the shipping industry, get swamped with cases and shut down and only then the big red emergency light go off and then promptly ask how they possibly could have seen this coming or stopped it from happening. I know everyone shits on Alberta for this but its extremely prevalent here in Ontario too.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In the broken rear end USA you can find (with difficulty) rapid PCR tests, and more easily slower PCR and various other rapid tests, all free and mostly delivered outdoors with minimal contact. So why the gently caress is Ontario cramming people into pharmacies for $40 antigen tests?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

eXXon posted:

In the broken rear end USA you can find (with difficulty) rapid PCR tests, and more easily slower PCR and various other rapid tests, all free and mostly delivered outdoors with minimal contact. So why the gently caress is Ontario cramming people into pharmacies for $40 antigen tests?

Galen Weston Jr. has a lot of pull over Ford to keep things this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

If they're already there for a test, they might engage in commerce! win-win!

As an added bonus, exposure of people already in the store to potentially covid-positive people, just means they'll return for repeat business later! :thumbsup:

Syfe fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 24, 2021