Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kazzah posted:

CA hasn’t even said when the first patch is coming

Edit: for real though, we should probably change the number in the thread title back til game 3 actually comes out

No? This is the thread for total war Warhammer 1 +2 also known as twwh 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Aspiring Champions are an incredible trap, because their stats look really good plus vanguard deployment, but they're just.... not.
They’re okay - just okay - if you want magic damage early, or a tarpit for a hellcannon that won’t block too many shots or take much friendly fire, but otherwise yeah skip unless you enjoy making a little entourage of hype men for foot lords

I’ve had some fun vanguard deploying them in forests to mess up back lines after the front ranks meet but honestly marauder horsemen could have done the job better

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

No? This is the thread for total war Warhammer 1 +2 also known as twwh 3

:hmmyes:

Once 3 is released we've gotta update the thread title to 6.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Aspiring Champions are an incredible trap, because their stats look really good plus vanguard deployment, but they're just.... not.
Every so often units perform so oddly compared to their stats. On paper they look like they should be basically small-sized crypt horrors or something with better stats but they just fall apart.

I'm having a similar issue with Drychas summoned creatures. Her wolves have a lower model count than spiders (48 vs 60) and roughly similar stats (spiders are slower, have poison, and do AP damage) in terms of MA MD and WS but the wolves consistently outperform the spiders even against armored targets and I have no real explanation.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Guessing it's that they don't have any splash. At only 16 models with I assume normal swordsmen animations that is not a whole lot of attacks coming out. For such a low unit count their weapon strenght is only 48 with most being base damage, an empire swordsman have 69(lol) hp/model so one successful attack is not enough to kill one of them even if they roll the lowest on armour.

Compare to the shittiest low model count monster unit chaos have, Chaos Trolls. Sure only 34 melee attack but they splash to 4 models meaning more rolls made. WS is 100 with more AP meaning they can instakill a swordsmen if they hit only one. I am unsure if they WS split on splash happens before or after the hit rolls are done tho.

In the original swordsmen vs aspiring champion, the swordsmen have 120 models to the 16, meaning they will almost be guaranteed to have models flanking the ACs, dramatically lowering their MD for those attacks, while dealing out more attacks in general, and only losing models when an AC manage to get a hit in on the same swordsman 2 or 3 times.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Do people not embed aspiring champions and depth guard in bigger units? Marauders to take hits while champions slice people up?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

You can do that but then question is why, since their damage output is so low and marauders have the whole infighting issue with them as well. Might as well get 2 units of Chaos Warriors then or a Chaos Warrior and a Troll/Spawn unit to embedd.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Every so often units perform so oddly compared to their stats. On paper they look like they should be basically small-sized crypt horrors or something with better stats but they just fall apart.

I'm having a similar issue with Drychas summoned creatures. Her wolves have a lower model count than spiders (48 vs 60) and roughly similar stats (spiders are slower, have poison, and do AP damage) in terms of MA MD and WS but the wolves consistently outperform the spiders even against armored targets and I have no real explanation.

See also outriders, which despite being fast cav with stats that should let them run down routing units, are just awful at it. There's something weird about their melee that just makes them uniquely bad at the task

There are fairly opaque or hidden mechanics that aren't reflected on the Stat cards but make a pretty big difference in how the unit actually performs

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I don’t think it’s been posted yet, so here’s the timeline for post- holiday, per the community manager.

CA is on break until January 10th, so nothing the first full week of the year.
9th LL is ~mid January.
YouTuber Let’s Plays starting in the 2nd half of January.

Yay! It’s almost WH3 time! Sure it will be a buggy mess full of hilarious exploits upfront, but it will be here. Not sure when they’ll give an ETA for the combined map, but I’m not really worried because the base game has so much content.

I’ve been thinking of uninstalling WH2 once 3 is out. Is anyone else going to move straight over? I didn’t get hooked on WH2 until after ME was out, so I wasn’t there at launch but I’ve heard the stories.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
The Iron dragon like magic items.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Scott Forstall posted:

I don’t think it’s been posted yet, so here’s the timeline for post- holiday, per the community manager.

9th LL is ~mid January.

Yay! It’s almost WH3 time! Sure it will be a buggy mess full of hilarious exploits upfront, but it will be here. Not sure when they’ll give an ETA for the combined map, but I’m not really worried because the base game has so much content.

I’ve been thinking of uninstalling WH2 once 3 is out. Is anyone else going to move straight over? I didn’t get hooked on WH2 until after ME was out, so I wasn’t there at launch but I’ve heard the stories.

I think most people will move over the moment 3 comes out.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I can't really see much reason to stick with Warhammer 2 unless the new game is extremely broken or something. Even then, only one game in the series has Nurglings so it's not really a decision

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The only people who will stick with 2 are those insanely boring people who will only play Empire and will update after the Immortal Empires release so they can keep playing Just Empire for the 6th year in a row

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

terrorist ambulance posted:

There are fairly opaque or hidden mechanics that aren't reflected on the Stat cards but make a pretty big difference in how the unit actually performs

Splash damage is the big of these. Occasionally you'll see something mentioned when you hover over damage, but the amount of times a RoR dramatically over/underperforms since it tweaked the AoE keeps catching me out. For the longest time I thought dawi flamethrowers where trash, as I had been using the trollhammer RoR beforehand and watching it do nothing.

Then of course there's stuff like attack interval or whatever-the-gently caress. Why is this unit eating my dudes alive? Who knows!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Serephina posted:

Splash damage is the big of these. Occasionally you'll see something mentioned when you hover over damage, but the amount of times a RoR dramatically over/underperforms since it tweaked the AoE keeps catching me out. For the longest time I thought dawi flamethrowers where trash, as I had been using the trollhammer RoR beforehand and watching it do nothing.

Then of course there's stuff like attack interval or whatever-the-gently caress. Why is this unit eating my dudes alive? Who knows!

Yeah, and that isn't even mentioning the attack animations themselves which can often involve invincibility frames or tons of movement. Its one of the reasons Tomb Scorpions, for instance, tend to massively overperform what their stats suggest.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zore posted:

The only people who will stick with 2 are those insanely boring people who will only play Empire and will update after the Immortal Empires release so they can keep playing Just Empire for the 6th year in a row
Dont forget the lunatics that cant play without a zillion mods.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

we really should make a separate thread for those perverts

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Scott Forstall posted:

9th LL is ~mid January.

Yeah, I'm going to be playing a bunch of WH2 from now until February, but once 3 rolls around I'm planning on uninstalling 2. There's so much content for 3 (plus stuff like Elden Ring coming out) that I doubt I'll get tired of it before the combined map comes out. Also, once 3 releases it's just a matter of time before we get Chorfs and that's gonna be fun.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I uninstalled game 2 to save space after I got every achievement, but then I downloaded game 1 on my new laptop in case I wanted to hunt for cheevos there. I haven’t opened it for more than a few minutes and will probably uninstall it when game 3 comes out.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I wasn't going to get 3 on release due to being skint and it probably being busted for a bit, but it turns out it'll be on gamepass which right now is a pound for 3 months, so I might as well play it on release.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

punishedkissinger posted:

we really should make a separate thread for those perverts

and in this thread occasionally an established poster will get assassinated

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Noir89 posted:

Guessing it's that they don't have any splash. At only 16 models with I assume normal swordsmen animations that is not a whole lot of attacks coming out. For such a low unit count their weapon strenght is only 48 with most being base damage, an empire swordsman have 69(lol) hp/model so one successful attack is not enough to kill one of them even if they roll the lowest on armour.

Compare to the shittiest low model count monster unit chaos have, Chaos Trolls. Sure only 34 melee attack but they splash to 4 models meaning more rolls made. WS is 100 with more AP meaning they can instakill a swordsmen if they hit only one. I am unsure if they WS split on splash happens before or after the hit rolls are done tho.

In the original swordsmen vs aspiring champion, the swordsmen have 120 models to the 16, meaning they will almost be guaranteed to have models flanking the ACs, dramatically lowering their MD for those attacks, while dealing out more attacks in general, and only losing models when an AC manage to get a hit in on the same swordsman 2 or 3 times.

I knew splash damage splits listed damage equally among targets but is it only split between targets hit? That is a huge deal and helps explains why monstrous infantry perform better than their stats imply.

Raygereio posted:

The Iron dragon like magic items.

Unless they've changed things dramatically the Iron Dragon will find a magic item every single combat.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 23, 2021

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

I knew splash damage splits listed damage equally among targets but is it only split between targets hit? That is a huge deal and helps explains why monstrous infantry perform better than their stats imply.

Unless they've changed things dramatically the Iron Dragon will find a magic item every single combat.

That is what I am not sure about, twwstats only say that it splits but not if its between targets hit or all targets. I suspect it is all targets before doing the melee attack calc after googling some more.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
See this Zerkovich video for full information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thWs9MQB7DA

Short answer: Damage is split before "rolling" to hit. Every unit has a splash area and a maximum number of units hit. Everyone in the AoE gets knocked back if applicable, but damage is only split and applied against a certain number of them.

Most lords have about 6 maximum targets, duelists are lower at about 4 maximum targets, and "important" targets are always hit with the full force rather than splitting out the damage

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

or the lunatics that won't buy it if the diplo isn't improved

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i never move past gunnery mob handguns as vampire coast. throw some monsters in there eventually but 10+ of my stack is going to be handgunners all the way to the end.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/total-war-warhammer-3/chaos-gods-story

quote:

The major difference with our story is that another has brought about the unfolding events. They are the real villain of this piece,

who do people think "the real villain" is? probably something not-playable?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Great Horned Rat, Nagash, or maybe Belakor? I'd be pretty funny if it was skaven against the world just like warhammer 2 vortex.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

cool av posted:

i never move past gunnery mob handguns as vampire coast. throw some monsters in there eventually but 10+ of my stack is going to be handgunners all the way to the end.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/total-war-warhammer-3/chaos-gods-story

the real villain has got to be CA for taking so long

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sigmar is the great horned rat and the current humans are all a mutation of the rat men

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

porfiria posted:

Brettonia shouldn't have mounted archers; mounted archery required a very specific cultural skill set that is miles away from Arthurian legend and 14th century France, and furthermore

It is actually kind of funny that they're a peasant unit when peasants are exactly the class of people who would never have enough time and money to learn mounted archery.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Acute Grill posted:

It is actually kind of funny that they're a peasant unit when peasants are exactly the class of people who would never have enough time and money to learn mounted archery.

plus those mean ol' knights of the realm keep stuffing the peasant horse archers in the grain closets

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Mods have taught me if you give wolf models decent stats they will chew apart everything, they have really good animations probably and can crowd around units easily.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its my biggest gripe about the game. you really can't rely on the stats sometimes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The inverse of that is that I've always found Black Knights to be effective far beyond what their stats would suggest

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

cool av posted:

Realistically the real villain is going to be some demon, long shot Nagash

I'm holding out for Malal though, through the magic of behind the scene legal shenanigans

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If there was ever any time to take what End Times did, significantly mix it up and "do it right" it'd be now because the broad strokes would work really well for the WH3 story and it'd be a bit of a letdown to not cap off with(or include) Nagash. There also just aren't that many heavy hitters in the same league as the LLs of Chaos we've seen and we've just been told they aren't the true final threat.

Yeah yeah, I know, End Times, but seriously, imagine if we just had a bunch of really cool "what if" quest story battles for LL gear or their immortal empire stories and done properly as CA have shown they can more than do. Like playing as Thorgim in IE in WH3 and your final battle is a really wicked fight with Queek, Sigvald vs Throgg, and so on.

I also imagine that GW might really relish the chance to smooth that over for two major reasons. TWWH has almost single handedly energized fan engagement with Warhammer Fantasy(yes I'm generalizing but you know what I mean, there was a great point made long ago in this thread that a lot of our memetic love of significant characters is almost entirely from their TW presentation) and with Old World coming they might want to clear up the hanging cloud of End Times. Think about it, no matter how perfectly Old World goes it is still looming ahead in the future that the setting gets blown up in a bit of a clusterfuck. Smoothing that over and saying "Look at TWWH3, this is just a universe of super cool battles and big what-ifs, haha nothing was ever concrete" would probably be an improvement in every way. Who was the final victor of Warhammer Fantasy? Why, your favorite army at your command, of course!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 23, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Doomykins posted:

If there was ever any time to take what End Times did, significantly mix it up and "do it right" it'd be now because the broad strokes would work really well for the WH3 story and it'd be a bit of a letdown to not cap off with(or include) Nagash. There also just aren't that many heavy hitters in the same league as the LLs of Chaos we've seen and we've just been told they aren't the true final threat.

Yeah yeah, I know, End Times, but seriously, imagine if we just had a bunch of really cool "what if" quest story battles for LL gear or their immortal empire stories and done properly as CA have shown they can more than do. Like playing as Thorgim in IE in WH3 and your final battle is a really wicked fight with Queek, Sigvald vs Throgg, and so on.

i'll accept this, but only, ONLY if grimgor pounding archaon into the dust is the official ending

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

the series ends with grimgor planting his boot on the fallen everchosen's chest, and declaring

GRIMGOR

IZ

DA

BEST

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah let's just throw everything into a handful of painfully stupid and rushed plots and then forget major characters and have them die off-screen when annoying editors remind us they exist. CA please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah let's just throw everything into a handful of painfully stupid and rushed plots and then forget major characters and have them die off-screen when annoying editors remind us they exist. CA please.

Well yeah that's my point, it'd be a hell of a task but do it across 80+ LL specific touched up quest battles and it'll be a lot better then what we got. The one hope spot here is that CA has proven they're up for herculean labors of love considering WH3's current state.