Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pokchu has been running artillery ops for GOON this week around 9pm EST. Come try it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Hey, been playing for a couple weeks now but itching to do some more coordinated / organized stuff. Is the GOON squad here pretty organized or is it more of a just casual sort of thing to randomly play together whenever someone happens to be online? Love the idea of playing in a group that is coordinating with other groups for a bigger picture.

If not wouldn't mind some recommendations for a good organized group that's not too LARPy (like I'm cool with having someone be in-charge or whatever so people actually do poo poo together, I just don't want to LARP ranks or stuff like that)

We're a bit more organised and do some weekend/late night ops when we've got the stuff scrapped for it. But if you want super set up stuff with good numbers and always something 82DK is a good suggestion yeah. Or SPUD.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
82DK is very LARPy, with ranks/training etc etc if thats your thing I guess, I got tired of that stuff.

Maybe SPUD? or CL? But probably both with ranks and such too :shrug:

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GOON is chill, but i've been trying to get more ops going and organized stuff.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Started playing this again after playing it a bunch a few years ago and then dropping off after a weekend binge forever ago.

I ended up joining Colonials so no goon shenanigans for me this war, but I hopped on the Discord to start getting the lay of the land since it looks like the current war is wrapping up sooner than later.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah we've got plans for the next one now, should hopefully be a less of a weird war.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah, come join goons as Wardens next war. Pokchu is our fearless leader and keeps it fun without going crazy.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ynglaur posted:

without going crazy.

[citation needed]

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Ynglaur posted:

Yeah, come join goons as Wardens next war. Pokchu is our fearless leader and keeps it fun without going crazy.

Lots of people do what they can: service guarantees citizenship, etc

Edit: nurdbot the real mvp leader

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm holding the bag for Werkwerk, Swayze and Panzram really.

Could do with an EU goon with some major EVE energy like pokchu has though.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
After action report: The raid on Péripeti landing, (also known as the Soggy Chips debacle in the Cavoian senate)

Image: The doomed [SPUD] landing force

Around 0100 hours on our local time zone, intelligence reports alerted allied warden regiments that [SPUD] had landed a white wale landing ship supported by several Chieftain siege tanks and allied infantry.

A squad of tech maids, including this goon, were sent as reinforcements. The situation on the beach was initially good, with the infantry pushing outwards and setting up defences around the beachhead. A spud lieutenant explained to us that one of their siege tanks was lost in some sort of temporal anomaly while “crossing map hexes”; while we don’t quite understand what this means we presume that Colonial science is afoot.

While the mass of infantry and remaining tanks pushed south to try and capture the local relic base and establish a solid foothold, the maid squad set northeast with RPGs, accomplishing our objective of killing a storm cannon enabled bunker base.

Image: [GOON]Nine of Eight.

Unfortunately, the colonial forces in the area rapidly mounted a strong response, and it wasn’t long before light tanks and half-tracks poured into the area. Our raiders were well armed with AT rifles and several bonesaw launchers, but it wasn’t long before our defensive lines were ground down.

Image: [BLACK]14/f/cali preparing for a last stand with an HE grenade.

Ultimately, Mesean tanks were soon on the beach and our landing ship was blasted away. Anonymous sources within high command blame poor preparation and a slow landing for wasting precious hours of surprise, although your humble correspondent still claims it was “A really fun clusterfuck”.

Image: The cost of victory??

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

In spite of its flaws, this game still manages to be fun even when you lose.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Our best memory is when we took over a three gun 150 battery outside a town hall in Warden territory towards the collapse of one of the home regions and we spent the night keeping the Colonial horde back firing legit hundreds of 150MM and 120MM shells from some other guns.

It just sucks we're getting the poo poo end of the stick several wars in a row. Morale for me is something that happens with other people.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Our best memory is when we took over a three gun 150 battery outside a town hall in Warden territory towards the collapse of one of the home regions and we spent the night keeping the Colonial horde back firing legit hundreds of 150MM and 120MM shells from some other guns.

:allears:

I haven’t been back in any serious way since that afternoon. Every time I get on I can’t find a goon around to let me into the voice chat, and I drift off to do other things.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The festive season, time zones and this crotch punchingly awkward war not a good combination. Next war we chill out in the Discord channels even if you like group chat more (I know I am bad I will do this).

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
In game chat sucks so much, I found it pretty frustrating just playing in silence because I disconect from the games VoIP like 30 seconds after zoning in normally.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Also machine gun spam has made in game voice even worse by a lot this war

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Nine of Eight posted:

After action report: The raid on Péripeti landing, (also known as the Soggy Chips debacle in the Cavoian senate)

Image: The doomed [SPUD] landing force

Around 0100 hours on our local time zone, intelligence reports alerted allied warden regiments that [SPUD] had landed a white wale landing ship supported by several Chieftain siege tanks and allied infantry.

A squad of tech maids, including this goon, were sent as reinforcements. The situation on the beach was initially good, with the infantry pushing outwards and setting up defences around the beachhead. A spud lieutenant explained to us that one of their siege tanks was lost in some sort of temporal anomaly while “crossing map hexes”; while we don’t quite understand what this means we presume that Colonial science is afoot.

While the mass of infantry and remaining tanks pushed south to try and capture the local relic base and establish a solid foothold, the maid squad set northeast with RPGs, accomplishing our objective of killing a storm cannon enabled bunker base.

Image: [GOON]Nine of Eight.

Unfortunately, the colonial forces in the area rapidly mounted a strong response, and it wasn’t long before light tanks and half-tracks poured into the area. Our raiders were well armed with AT rifles and several bonesaw launchers, but it wasn’t long before our defensive lines were ground down.

Image: [BLACK]14/f/cali preparing for a last stand with an HE grenade.

Ultimately, Mesean tanks were soon on the beach and our landing ship was blasted away. Anonymous sources within high command blame poor preparation and a slow landing for wasting precious hours of surprise, although your humble correspondent still claims it was “A really fun clusterfuck”.

Image: The cost of victory??

I helped prep everything for this! Fun fact, this was made with 95% freshly scrooped supplies. We never intended to establish a full on assault or beachhead at all and in fact thought we would be spotted and QRFed before landing, but what occurred was 45 minutes of beach fun and mayhem. Thanks for this chronicling of events, makes it all worth it!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvPr9dl9Ffk

Some footage of the last war and the fun parts of the current one which more or less is over for us unless you feel like training new players/trucking what we made to the front/getting some combat practice in.

Man I wish cinematic mode was a toggle, not an awkward scroll camera mode.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
One minute in and you've already gotten blocked by allied infantry and a wheeled gun. Glad to see the game hasn't changed.

Had my first login in a year the other day, looks like the Wardens are getting paved this war. Read faction chat for thirty seconds, remembered why you never ever read faction chat, shot some guys and saved a CV. Surprisingly didn't encounter any racists, elitists, or griefers.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Vorenus posted:

Had my first login in a year the other day, looks like the Wardens are getting paved this war.

Yeah, game is really unbalanced right now with colonials having an insane early game advantage. We're in the "fuckit" point of the war, which is usually where the most fun battles are since everyone dumps stockpiles and you have access to everything.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Check the objectives channel in the discord for our current plans, we got some Chieftains and 250's we can use to smash up Colonial defenses from the flank if they get super tunnel vision for VP.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Invalido posted:

Also machine gun spam has made in game voice even worse by a lot this war

I'm glad for it because HMG spam sucked but man people in this game are really weird about what equipment they use. Other than infantry weapons and the medium tanks, people just *stop using old equipment* when new stuff unlocks. I haven't seen an HMG except set up in a backline base in like a week

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

While the current war hasn't exactly gone to plan for many reasons we're still doing good and helping in the grand scheme of things:

Props to the goons that doubled down on cooking that ammo, you may be breaking but Colonial tanks got blown up with it still!

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
friendship established with SPUD

GOONSPUD

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Foehammer007 posted:

GOONSPUD

:perfect:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sounds kinda kinky. What position does GOONSPUD take place in?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Callahans Taint.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Callahans Taint.

Near the foxhole?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Near the foxhole?

Where else are you going to submit your large item?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So last two days I've decided to put something together for new goon players getting into the game, It's sort of a basic info graph/spotter guide telling new players the weaknesses of each Colonial tank, where to shoot them or what to hunt them down with and the basic tactics of what they might do if they see them on the field.

https://imgur.com/a/HU09tXQ

Learning is still a mostly experience thing, but at least now you know the name of the tanks in the coming tank shock with every new war!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Foehammer007 posted:

GOONSPUD

Can this be turned into a “friendship ended with ____”?

I don’t know enough politics in this game to give a suggestion.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Finally, War 86 got 86'd.

Next war might be the alleged strike from all the dedicated Warden logistic types. WUH is almost dead, this Sundial Coalition thing might take it's place. Developer's still hiding in their tree fort.

And no, we didn't win before you ask.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Tuesday new war start

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Had a blast in the last couple hours of the war: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_w_SMMNkI8

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SeanBeansShako posted:

So last two days I've decided to put something together for new goon players getting into the game, It's sort of a basic info graph/spotter guide telling new players the weaknesses of each Colonial tank, where to shoot them or what to hunt them down with and the basic tactics of what they might do if they see them on the field.

https://imgur.com/a/HU09tXQ

Learning is still a mostly experience thing, but at least now you know the name of the tanks in the coming tank shock with every new war!

Doing Gods work I see.

One question I'm dying to have answered, particularly before I attempt exploiting it:

If you rupture the fuel line on the tanks with vulnerable reservoirs, can you then proceed to ignite the fuel and gently caress up everyone nearby?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sadly no, the fuel remains inert. But really that would be a bonus, still a crippling shot. Tank players who have no clue what they are doing will keep moving around until it runs out and they are hosed. An experienced tank crew will GTFO to safety and pull the fuel and both cases unless prepared will spend minutes dicking around in repairs and sucking diesel from abandoned truck tanks.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

In celebration of this war potentially occurring during the birth of my second child, shall we go... DADLANDS?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

First one to put a chamberpot on the head of that statue wins.

Seriously though, no sign of HMG or ISG in for the first few days of the war so early infantry antics (gas aside) ready to go. We're going to be working with and teaching a lot of medium/small Warden clans how to fight and endure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Let's go goons!