Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Red Mage feels really weird now. Probably just a matter of getting used to it and what was changed looks pretty good on paper, but still it's weirding out my muscle memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Countblanc posted:

Summoners can have their damage back when they make the move Titan does not completely cover the boss and make "watch for tells" mechanics more frustrating than any other class. I shouldn't need to disable party effects because of a single ability.

not sure if you have looked at ff14quicklauncher but there is a plugin that lets you hide/change individual battle effects, i think i turned that one off and one of the big reaper ones that was blocking boss indicators for me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Red Mage feels really weird now. Probably just a matter of getting used to it and what was changed looks pretty good on paper, but still it's weirding out my muscle memory.

I've only played it once so far but I'm not sure I like the change to Acceleration.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Red Mage? Nah, changes make it Red Mega. It's real good, also acceleration sucked and more instacasts are great

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Red Mage is basically the same except it's AoE rotation doesn't suck now.

It's a good time.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Been playing RDM a lot, it's my current go-to for EXDR/Normal Raids. The changes are amazing, the extra mana cap flexibility in when to melee combo means you don't get hosed by mechanics nearly as often, feels way smoother to play than the previous version. I also love that Manafication is just a press-this-for-a-free-combo button, no messing around with your current mana values.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

bewilderment posted:

I never used to care about drifting too much as someone who never does at-level Extremes/Savages but levelling Samurai to 90 I understand why drifting feels like agony. As someone who doesn't play it enough to have it all in muscle memory, not having my kaeshi line up is awful. It's a nail-biting experience to see if it lines up just in time after Midare.

Now I got charges of Meikyo at 88 so I have no idea when the right time to Higanbana a boss is. I guess the new answer is "After you've done everything else".

First hit of second Meikyo is when to press higanbana on an opening and then refresh as best you can when it is about to fall off.

You’re not going to get 2 midare+kaeshi+ogi Namikiri+Kaeshi Ogi into a 15 second burst timer. So just higanbana followed by Ogi and then get moon+flower with the rest of your Meikyo stacks and yukikaze combo for the second midare+tsubame.

Also the charges are really really nice for making it not suck to drift your Samurai stuff now because it matters way less.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Has the last chest in alliance raid always lacked a timer?

Just had a run this morning where someone absolutely refused to roll on the minion. Is there any way at all to deal with that besides just trying to out-wait them?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Wrestlepig posted:

The goon FCs are on excal, so take your pick of the 4 in the OP. Eorzea Mahjong Club is the newest one and probably the most suitable for new people, though they all should be ok.

Not that it's relevant to Ashurbanipal's post, but there's a goon FC on Hyperion too. It's tiny, but it exists.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Offkorn posted:

Has the last chest in alliance raid always lacked a timer?

Just had a run this morning where someone absolutely refused to roll on the minion. Is there any way at all to deal with that besides just trying to out-wait them?

I've never seen one without a timer, but it's a ridiculous 5 minutes or something.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

god these nouliths are so loving stupid and i love them

KoB
May 1, 2009
there should be an increased penalty for leaving Castrum Meridianum. just had half the party drop immediately - what a bunch of babies

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Thoughts on magic DPS at level 90.

RDM
  • Flashiest spells and sound effects
  • A spectacle to play, as always
  • Range damage, melee, heals, and rezzes - something for every occasion
  • Fashion

SMN
  • Calamity-sized summons
  • Huge spell effects (very cool, but potentially disruptive)
  • Easy rotation
  • Can rez
  • Huge up-front spike damage
  • You're the only Scion summoner
  • Damage is puny but you look cool doing it

BLM
  • Boring
  • Needs buffed

I'll probably do ranged physical next.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

central dogma posted:

• You're the only Scion summoner

Tataru.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tataru was an Arcanist, she never got that far along.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Tataru was an Arcanist, she never got that far along.

That we know. She has massive unbelievable aether reserves though so she could probably do it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Materia remains the thing I can't be bothered to care about dealing with, I just hoard it and I think 120+ slots on one of my retainers is just materia lol

"Someday I'll get through books on a second weapon and get to the materia sink phase" - Me being an idiot with wasted retainer space

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Tataru should inherit the moonstone carbuncle, as it's currently being neglected by Alphie.

Better yet, strap a noulith to moonstone's back. Dare to be the first true multi-job practitioner!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

He used his carbuncles to power his bits actually.

So either his carbuncle is dead or it is now a gun.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Blm is hilarious rn because for instant casts they have 2 sharpcasts, xeno and amplifier for a extra free one, 2 charges of triplecast and swiftcast for good measure. My brother mains blm for raiding and is extremely happy with it at the moment.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hellioning posted:

Cargunkle!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hellioning posted:

The ghost Lalah with the fin funnels, but it's the Carb

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Zoig posted:

Blm is hilarious rn because for instant casts they have 2 sharpcasts, xeno and amplifier for a extra free one, 2 charges of triplecast and swiftcast for good measure. My brother mains blm for raiding and is extremely happy with it at the moment.

The changes to Blizz2/Fire2 have also made lower level BLM way, way, way better imo

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah as a BLM main, we didn’t get many flashy new things or big changes but the QoL stuff we did get makes it play a lot smoother, especially leveling/when synced down.

Also Paradox is fun.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

A little bit more button trimming would be nice for BLM though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

As a Samurai I can confirm that a bunch of quality of life for an already high damage job feels great, and Ogi Namikiri is an absolutely perfect button I wish I could press more than once every two minutes.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

My main issue with BLM is that it's the hardest caster to play on controller, mostly because I can't figure out a logical ability layout. They have ice and fire phases for both single target and AoE. Plus tons of oGCDs used frequently. My setup has gotten me to 90, but I'll never parse high because I fat finger the rotation too often.

This isn't really new with EW though. BLM has always been my least comfy DPS class on controller. For comparison, I find DRG and new SMN to be the comfiest.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's funny because filling out the aoe rotation (technically they've been there all along) has made it more symmetrical.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

central dogma posted:

My main issue with BLM is that it's the hardest caster to play on controller, mostly because I can't figure out a logical ability layout. They have ice and fire phases for both single target and AoE. Plus tons of oGCDs used frequently. My setup has gotten me to 90, but I'll never parse high because I fat finger the rotation too often.

This isn't really new with EW though. BLM has always been my least comfy DPS class on controller. For comparison, I find DRG and new SMN to be the comfiest.

I have it so that R1+face is the basic single target spells (X is Fire 1, A is Fire III, B is Blizzard III, Y is Thunder III), R1+ d-pad is basic AoE and also Triplecast (Left is Triplecast, Down is Fire II, Right is Blizzard II, Up is Thunder IV), L1+face is the “special” AoEs and also Sharpcast (X is Sharpcast, A is Flare, B is Freeze, Y is Foul), and finally L1+d-pad is “special” single target (Left is Despair, Down is Fire IV, Right is Blizzard IV, and Up is Xenoglossy). Everything else is on my extended Crossbar.

It could use some refinement (I probably should switch Triplecast and Sharpcast for instance), but the general idea is to group by number of targets and correspond the elements to roughly the same spot. Triplecast and Swiftcast get to hangout in front because they’re the oGCD cooldowns used the most but you could also switch one of them out for Lay Lines if you wanted to, I guess.

Scaith and Sleep are straight up not on my bar anywhere because lol.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 24, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man.

That's why I play on keyboard + mouse.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

My keybinds were pretty janky, and Blizzard 2 becoming relevant was the last straw for me deciding to actually put some thought into cleaning my bars up.
Changed it so that my single target rotation is on one bar by itself, then on a second hidden bar I have the aoe versions of the spells in the same slots, and then there's a macro on each that toggles hotbar 1 to swap to the other.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Here are my G13/Razer Naga keybinds for MCH. I tend to keep the main combo on the "ASD" equivalent of it. (G13 left, Naga right, I only use the radial one since I think the full 12 button one would be too much).

Movement is done with the G13's joystick. I honestly bought this thing for FFXI 10 years ago and never used it. Dug it out for FFXIV and now I can't live without it :v: Too bad it's been discontinued for years.

I don't even know why I have it here, I figured I would've left it when I moved out and halfway across the country. But it was a lifesaver.

e: Chainsaw isn't nearly as flashy as Air Anchor/Drill and I am super disappointed in it. There's just no "oomph" to it and I find myself double checking my hotbars to see if it even went off.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 24, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Having 5 well technically 6 90s, here is my thoughts on them.

SMN: Very flashy, easy, feels great even if apparently the raid dps sucks. However I will say it just doesn't sit right to me that it's almost all instant cast, it doesn't feel like a caster anymore. I'd prefer cast while moving but I don't even know if the engine can handle that if they want it to be super mobile.

RDM: New acceleration sucks. The new sound effects are awful, scorch being so bad it stops me from wanting to play it. Otherwise the changes are good but nothing fundamentally changed. It still takes about as long to charge your combo and it's still RDM. Sound effects aside this a good thing.

BLM: still the most stressful job in the game that I will never enjoy.

BRD: Insanely improved from ShB. Feels less plate spinny and more rewardy. Also you actually use apex arrow often nowadays.

DRG: Worse than ShB, the changes make it feel like it's more packed with ogcds. I suppose if you want it to have more apm that's fine, but I liked that it was chill and it doesn't feel as chill anymore. Also it still has dragon sight.

RPR: Even with the tuning maybe being off, it's still the best melee in the game. It's positionals are barely existent, which is great. It's almost all on the gcd, but thanks to some really good animation work you never feel like you're waiting for a skill to go off, it's just super satisfying. Shroud is fun as hell. Even though I was into it's aesthetic, I didn't intend to main it, I intended to main smn. RPR massively won my heart and all other melee feel like crap in comparison.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

central dogma posted:

Tataru should inherit the moonstone carbuncle, as it's currently being neglected by Alphie!

Lmao I'm glad I did all the sidequests because there's a minor one that reveals what happened to Tataru's carbuncle

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Hellioning posted:

he made them tiny so they can pilot the nouliths like little fighter jets

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Here, have some nouliths."
"Neat."
"You're going to need to shove a Carbunkle into each one, use pages torn out of the tome your grandpa gave you to muffle their screams."

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

https://twitter.com/298tp/status/1357868452170502144

like this

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes, excellent.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Someone's started scanlating the highschool AU manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lmao I'm glad I did all the sidequests because there's a minor one that reveals what happened to Tataru's carbuncle

Lvl88 sidequest It also means that in addition to having a carbuncle running around for years under its own aether reserves, she can summon multiple carbuncle at once since the one we found was from when she was doing her own ACN quest while she summoned at least one other during 4 lords.