Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've had like 3 panel tech interviews in the last 2 weeks at 3 different companies and got a call today with an offer from the one I wanted most. Small pay cut, but far better hours and it's 100% WFH. My dogs are going to get so tired of all their afternoon belly rubs.

I'm just happy to be part of the Great Resignation.

[edit: best snip ever]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've had like 3 panel tech interviews in the last 2 weeks at 3 different companies and got a call today with an offer from the one I wanted most. Small pay cut, but far better hours and it's 100% WFH. My dogs are going to get so tired of all their afternoon belly rubs.

I'm just happy to be part of the Great Resignation.

[edit: best snip ever]

You countered with something appropriate, right?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

You countered with something appropriate, right?

They offered the top of the discussed range so I did not negotiate.

My current gig in tech operations for a very large retailer known for aprons has me working weekends and holidays for 12 hours at a time. I'm happy with how the compensation worked out. This gives me back a big chunk of work/life balance.

It also occurred to me that I have not resigned from a job in 20 years. I've been laid off and my contract has expired, but no resignations. It feels so weird.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Ranges are fictions designed to keep the working class down. Next time you interview, ask for offer +20% and be pleased when they counter with offer +8%

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Krispy Wafer posted:

My current gig in tech operations for a very large retailer known for aprons has me working weekends and holidays for 12 hours at a time. I'm happy with how the compensation worked out. This gives me back a big chunk of work/life balance.

It also occurred to me that I have not resigned from a job in 20 years. I've been laid off and my contract has expired, but no resignations. It feels so weird.

There's tons of reasons to leave for pay cuts and it sounds like this is a good bet, but yeah. You'd be surprised how ranges crumble when when managers find someone they want to hire.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Happiness Commando posted:

Ranges are fictions designed to keep the working class down. Next time you interview, ask for offer +20% and be pleased when they counter with offer +8%

I countered on the last 2 salaries I was offered. The first one said they'd get back to me and then hired someone else. The next (my current job) said no. I'm a little gun shy at this stage. And yes, losing that first job was a blessing in disguise, but it didn't feel that way at the time.

I've been wandering around an empty corporate HQ for the last 2 years like it's a scene from the Shining and that's taken a toll on my brain. I will happily counter on the next job, but for now I'm just happy to close this deal.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you've gone from 12 hour days to 8 hour days and you didn't take a 33% paycut then you're still up TBH.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What are the thoughts here about follow-up emails after a second interview? A week has passed, and I know they are interviewing other candidates.
Guy called today to offer me this job. I'm actually happy with the pay and benefits.

The problem is the remote work. I asked him if he's okay with me working on remote basis, and he said he's okay with it but wasn't sure the management would be, so it's just a "maybe." I can't see myself moving to DC right now. It's a research job, not something where I would be testifying or whatever, so it should work on a remote basis. I guess we'll see. It was nice to have that five-second rush of oh my god this is over after two years! The comedown is not so nice though.

I tried so haaaard and got so faaaar

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Guy called today to offer me this job. I'm actually happy with the pay and benefits.

The problem is the remote work. I asked him if he's okay with me working on remote basis, and he said he's okay with it but wasn't sure the management would be, so it's just a "maybe."

No, don't kid yourself. That's a No.

Did that conversation happen back during the interviews?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Well, I'd usually say you should be upfront about remote work so you don't end up wasting a bunch of time but if it's truly "maybe" now is the best time to push since they don't want to have restart the whole process right now. Ask for a call with the manager and see if you can hammer it out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes, but remember that if it isn't in writing, it doesn't exist.

Like it's not a basis to sue them or anything but if "this role will be remote X days per week" or "this role will be fully remote" written into the offer letter it at least makes it a lot harder for them to say "nuh-uh we never said that" later.

But most importantly it's a good test for whether they're serious about it or just leading you along. "Yeah remote work might be possible, we're open to the idea" in an interview quite often will become a diplomatic but firm "no we absolutely will not promise remote work in writing" if they're pressed to write it into the offer letter, and then you've at least gotten them to show their cards.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Im starting to feel pretty depressed at my current job and I don’t think I’m giving them the level of work that they deserve because of it. Definitely coasting and I’m starting to look into alternatives but I’m having some trouble find a lot of things and I’m wondering if it’s my resume. Since like 2018 I’ve been at the same company doing a lot of lead generation/data management, and in those years I have written several programs/scripts that have drastically improved my and my team’s output and profits, I’m sort of a manager but my pay does not reflect that which is part of my annoyance, but I feel like a lot of companies that are paying higher rates need a lot more experience than what I actually have, and I feel like right now the only jobs I’m qualified that I can actually find listings for are entry level positions. Also those entry level positions are fairly close to my current pay which is also upsetting me.

I’m having difficulty figuring out what kind of job I should be looking for, I think that with my experience both with having employees report directly to me and my experience with completely reframing our approach and rewriting our whole SOP I should be looking for managerial positions but my current job title doesn’t technically reflect that and I’m not sure how to phrase that in my resume or just get that general point across, I think I’m underselling my ability with my current resume.

I just have a lot of issues with my resume in general I think, and I would love some assistance with that if anyone would be willing to look it over and help me figure out where I can improve it. Best way to contact me is probably on discord, Tacks#7636.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

Im starting to feel pretty depressed at my current job and I don’t think I’m giving them the level of work that they deserve because of it. Definitely coasting and I’m starting to look into alternatives but I’m having some trouble find a lot of things and I’m wondering if it’s my resume. Since like 2018 I’ve been at the same company doing a lot of lead generation/data management, and in those years I have written several programs/scripts that have drastically improved my and my team’s output and profits, I’m sort of a manager but my pay does not reflect that which is part of my annoyance, but I feel like a lot of companies that are paying higher rates need a lot more experience than what I actually have, and I feel like right now the only jobs I’m qualified that I can actually find listings for are entry level positions. Also those entry level positions are fairly close to my current pay which is also upsetting me.

I’m having difficulty figuring out what kind of job I should be looking for, I think that with my experience both with having employees report directly to me and my experience with completely reframing our approach and rewriting our whole SOP I should be looking for managerial positions but my current job title doesn’t technically reflect that and I’m not sure how to phrase that in my resume or just get that general point across, I think I’m underselling my ability with my current resume.

I just have a lot of issues with my resume in general I think, and I would love some assistance with that if anyone would be willing to look it over and help me figure out where I can improve it. Best way to contact me is probably on discord, Tacks#7636.

Without seeing your resume, I'd recommend trying to turn any bullet points into something related to numbers that can display how it makes more for the companies bottom line.

Eg. "Reduced <system> execution time by XX%"
"Lead $X million/thousand dollar project with 100.0% completion of targeted goals"

Something like that, I'm bad with words. There's someone on the forums that does resume rewriting that might be worth checking out. I've heard both positive and negative reviews on that, but also there might be some confusion about the best poster for that work. Good luck!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You can post your resume for feedback but more importantly post some of the jobs you think you should be a good candidate for. You might be stuck in-between (the first couple of years of management you're usually shackled, few companies want to hire a manager who looks like they are washing out of their first management gig). It's hard to know without knowing what kind of candidate you are and what kind of jobs you're looking for.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes, but remember that if it isn't in writing, it doesn't exist.

Like it's not a basis to sue them or anything but if "this role will be remote X days per week" or "this role will be fully remote" written into the offer letter it at least makes it a lot harder for them to say "nuh-uh we never said that" later.

But most importantly it's a good test for whether they're serious about it or just leading you along. "Yeah remote work might be possible, we're open to the idea" in an interview quite often will become a diplomatic but firm "no we absolutely will not promise remote work in writing" if they're pressed to write it into the offer letter, and then you've at least gotten them to show their cards.

for sure get it in writing but don't fuckin rain on his parade, it's absolutely possible for them to agree to it and for KOTEX to get it in writing

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, at no point did I say it's impossible for him to get what he wants. It's just that it's a common interview mistake in these cases for this to happen

Candidate: Do you allow people in this role to work remotely?
Interviewer: Well, I have no problem with it in the right circumstances, we support remote work where it makes sense.
Candidate: OK great... (drops subject, continues interview)

when what the candidate really meant was "I'm only interested in this role if it's 90%+ remote" but doesn't want to risk ending his candidacy prematurely by saying that straight out, and what the interviewer meant was "I personally am fine with fully remote but the fuckwit director wants asses in seats so no, you will have to commute to the office 90%+ of the time" but she's weary of losing good candidates to this issue and prefers to deflect for now, hoping one will want the job badly enough to accept it when they find out later. Or the tl;dr, conflict is uncomfortable so most people avoid it.

If fully or mostly remote work is really a show stopper for you then it's just a huge waste of your time to not make that clear early in the process.

But the overall job market right now (especially in computer toucher land) is such that if a fully remote role is posted it gets 300 applicants, and if an identical but rear end-in-seat role is posted it gets crickets. Hmmmmm :thunk:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's weird because it never came up, but I did repeatedly say that I live in Massachusetts and even talked about some of the community stuff I do, so they couldn't possibly be under the impression I live in DC. Which ought to lead to questions about relocation, but they never even asked.

According to him (the manager, luckily, not some HR dingbat) upper management keeps going back and forth about whether they're prepared to take on full remote people right now. I hope he'll convince them. I told him I'm totally down to do frequent travel to DC once the pandemic is over at least.

Honestly I'm tempted to just be like "yeah I'll relocate after a year," and even tempted to actually go through with it. I adore Massachusetts - it's my home - and I despise DC, but I am so, so sick of the cycle of job applications and rejections and continuing to be stuck in my lovely, humiliating job for years.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, I wouldn't be worried about them saying remote is ok then "surprising" a relocation on you. Either remote will be fine or it won't. I do agree bringing it up explicitly earlier in general, but this may work out for you if they are having issues filling the role.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

They claimed to have been interviewing a couple of other people. :shrug:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh ya bud I've got interviews at four other places too and they all pay more...

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Does anyone work in a senior client/customer success role and open to a few PM'd questions?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Upgrade posted:

Does anyone work in a senior client/customer success role and open to a few PM'd questions?

I used to do operational engineering for a large customer success org and did all the conferences and junk. I had to get pretty involved on the business and CSMs day to day. I'm probably not the best resource here but if there's no one else in happy to answer what I can

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Alright, so thread’s thoughts on two issues:

I’m on medical disability (and will be for at least the immediate future). How do you account for this stretch on a resume and/or questions afterward? I think it’s officially nunya, but that doesn’t always come across diplomatically. Also, how do you ask for accommodations during the application/interview process (like (WFH w/ doctor’s note)?

Second, I was working a side gig as a contractor for ~10 months while at my last (primary) job (where I was just separated and am on disability). Is it good to list that on resume/LinkedIn (I did not inform primary employer)? I can see it either being a strength about handle-able workload or a strike against me for pursuing additional work (or something?) I do plan to reach out to my now ex-company again when I come back into the workforce (at their invitation), so I’m thinking no in that case, but otherwise I’m really uncertain.

Much obliged.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I’m on medical disability (and will be for at least the immediate future). How do you account for this stretch on a resume and/or questions afterward? I think it’s officially nunya, but that doesn’t always come across diplomatically.
This might depend on the circumstances. If there's a relatively brief gap during COVID times, it's probably just not notable. But otherwise, I'm not sure the best way to approach it (maybe depends on the type of work, too). Like, because your medical disability is none of their business at that point, maybe there's a story like "COVID gave me a drive to pause and reevaluate things" that's got truth to it and could work for you (if it comes up).

quote:

Also, how do you ask for accommodations during the application/interview process (like (WFH w/ doctor’s note)?
If you need accommodations during the interview process, ask the first HR person you get in contact with "How would I go about requesting accommodations for the interview process?" or the person scheduling the interview if you don't get an HR person. If you just need it for the job, then wait until they've made you an official offer, and then confirm (with an HR person if possible) that the accommodations can be granted before you accept (your acceptance is conditional on them granting your needed accommodations).

quote:

Second, I was working a side gig as a contractor for ~10 months...
If it's relevant experience, then at least put it on your resume when applying if you can. If you think your old job would be upset/sabotage references over it, then I guess don't put it on LinkedIn/public places if you can avoid it?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
This is more than two issues, renumbered for my answer.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

1) I’m on medical disability (and will be for at least the immediate future). How do you account for this stretch on a resume and/or questions afterward? I think it’s officially nunya, but that doesn’t always come across diplomatically.
2) how do you ask for accommodations during the application/interview process (like (WFH w/ doctor’s note)?

3) I was working a side gig as a contractor for ~10 months while at my last (primary) job (where I was just separated and am on disability). Is it good to list that on resume/LinkedIn (I did not inform primary employer)? I can see it either being a strength about handle-able workload or a strike against me for pursuing additional work (or something?) I do plan to reach out to my now ex-company again when I come back into the workforce (at their invitation), so I’m thinking no in that case, but otherwise I’m really uncertain.

Much obliged.
1) Depends on the length of time, less than 3 calendar months: I wouldn't. 3 or greater months, I'd put what you were doing during that time. Like sure it's nunya but do you really give a gently caress? Consider what the shitbags who are also applying are doing. Unless you have an engineering degree or something, people who were in jail for 3 mo are also putting "I was on medical leave" or omitting. So put what youre comfortable with.

Jan 2021 - Mar 2021 Medical Leave
On medical leave for resolved, non-recurring medical issue.

Would be fine for me, but is not needed for other and yet some may ask you more details. Do what you're comfortable with, put everything on a resume in the best light.

2) I'm gonna give you my experience as an interviewer in the USA and its gonna be frank, so that you can diplomatically approach getting a job where you need reasonable accommodations.

Short version: don't bring it up right away, bring it up straight forwardly and candidly later in the process.

If someone purposefully makes it clear they need ADA-specific accommodations or they are thing-protected-by-Title-VII during the interview process I am going to have my litigation red flags going crazy.

Heres how this has happened historically:
1. I ask a std set of ~10 lawyer-approved questions in the phone interview
2. Someone brings up that they have XYZ medical issue or thing-protected-by-Title-VII that doesnt really have anything to do with question I asked and would clear affect their ability to do the job I am interviewing them for.
3. I ask them the remaining questions
4. They historically havent gotten them job

Bring this poo poo up late in the process. Make them want you first.

The following words in a resume could dramatically decrease your response rate: accommodation, disability

3) I'd definitely list a 10 mo job where I separated due to disability.

dirby posted:

If you need accommodations during the interview process, ask the first HR person you get in contact with "How would I go about requesting accommodations for the interview process?" or the person scheduling the interview if you don't get an HR person. If you just need it for the job, then wait until they've made you an official offer, and then confirm (with an HR person if possible) that the accommodations can be granted before you accept (your acceptance is conditional on them granting your needed accommodations).

+1

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Generally agree. I'd list the consulting gig but maybe just leave the dates off or get vague, if it's relevant.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Something I forgot to mention about the job offer I got: they didn't ask for my references. Weird.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I've only once asked for references, and it was when a prospects story was kinda fishy (he was telling the truth). Otherwise I never bother.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Don’t put medical leave on your resume. Great way to make sure you never get an interview. Just leave the gap be prepared to answer questions about it. Gaps in resumes aren’t that big of a deal anymore.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

Accommodations would be for the job itself, so I’ll keep it (and looks like most of it) close to my chest as long as possible.

The side gig was in the exact same vein as my primary, so when I eventually start looking/trying again, I’ll look to include it but maybe keep the timing vague.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

No, don't kid yourself. That's a No.

Did that conversation happen back during the interviews?
They actually just gave me a yes! Offer letter next week since they're closed this week. Hasn't really sunk in that this is real yet.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Congrats Kotex :)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They actually just gave me a yes! Offer letter next week since they're closed this week. Hasn't really sunk in that this is real yet.

Nice! Probably worked out for you letting them fall in love first, even though I think it was a gamble but to disclose. Congrats!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

:yotj: well done Kotex, it's not over til your first paycheck but signs are good.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Well they actually failed to send me an offer letter today, which is a problem as I need to put in a two weeks' notice. :/

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Your earliest available start date is 2 weeks after your contingency-free offer letter is signed.

No business you want to work for will have a problem with that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd send them a friendly "I am excited to work for you guys, even more excited once I get a offer letter". TBH, I had a new employee start today that I was woefully unprepared for, so I can totally see a bunch of people assuming getting an offer letter out today would be no sweat and then had some last minute call offs or other stuff come up. A gentle, friendly reminder is appropriate and might get things moving a bit faster.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Alright, I'll send them a note in the morning, just in case it comes through late tonight for whatever reason. Thanks for the advice, I don't want to annoy them but I really want to get this squared away, for both personal and professional reasons.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

In the future I wouldn’t put in notice until you sign an offer and go through any background checks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
its also like the first day after most people came back to work so "Get this guy an offer letter" is probably not anyone's top priority