Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Hook me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

F's for my boy.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Oh right did he actually die?! I was thinking about that and completely forgot.

fucked-up birthday
Sep 7, 2006

The whole season was a hell of a ride and that was a nice holy poo poo end to it. I'm very interested in seeing where they take it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

Oh right did he actually die?! I was thinking about that and completely forgot.

didn't die on camera, you know the rules

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Episode rad. Show rad.

Also those Seanchan are loving weird and I'm here for it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

eke out posted:

in the extras rafe and pike very carefully don't say anything to confirm what exactly happened to moiraine except that she apparently is cut off, and that they want moiraine to have a cool plot in season two unlike book two

yeah i can absolutely see where they're going with it. moiraine is legit just an outright non-entity for at bare minimum half the series and that's not even including purely the time she's trapped. it'll be interesting to see where they take it but there kind of is room for it, i guess.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Hope this isn't lost in show posting but I would love this

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I went in to the finale hyped and came out feepong like I'm just going to tell people to read the books tbh.

Like maybe it can pick up in s2, and it's not that I'm mad that there are changes, it's that none of them make any sense to me, and none feel to the betterment of the story.

They were already having a rough time fitting in the plot, and the bits they're left with at this point after that episode won't make the story I was looking forward to watching.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Inspired by the Wheel of Time book series more like

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
that was kind of a ... disappointing? ... finale?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So Rand broke a seal huh

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hexel posted:

So Rand broke a seal huh

That's more or less consistent with the books - I mean, maybe not as directly, but the first three are broken in essentially direct response to him confronting Ishamael.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Lol just watched the prologue, why did she call him the Dragon 'Reborn'? I thought LTT was just known as the Dragon?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they intentionally left a couple loose ends as a hook for season 2, you always have to keep in mind with tv plotting is that they want to give reasons for viewers to want to check back in later to find out what the results are when more episodes release. some of it is definitely changes made purely because of the format and seeing how they can work certain things in better in their eyes, so ultimately we'll have to see what happens with those choices. i guess overall i'll check in back with the show whenever season 2 is coming out, now that we're out of the weird part of the series that had a lot of work to do to fill in gaps of what was otherwise an insanely close rendition of lord of the rings to whatever extent.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
no, not my boy...

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

eke out posted:

as much as i want the EOTW prologue i can understand why they didn't show it, it'd ruin any suspense about meeting Ishamael if only 20 minutes ago we saw him in full villain mode monologuing to Lews Therin

the way it was shot prominently featuring his baby children and having rand explicitly ask about killing the ones you love makes me think we're definitely getting it next season, they laid pretty clear groundwork
Why would it ruin the suspense? They could simply leave Ishamael’s identity ambiguous if they did the EOTW prologue.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Have they introduced what a "seal" is at all? Did they mention this was one of the Dark One's seals? I don't think the show has done that at all. To a TV only viewer it would be just baffling as to why Moraine would think some "heartstone" being broken would indicate this is not the last battle.

TheBeardedCrazy
Nov 23, 2004
Beer Baron

Few rules:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The one thing I can absolutely guarantee is that any book reader saying "How does this make sense to a show watcher" is almost always wrong.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i really wish they had conveyed the war of power some in that cold open, i can only hope they do in future seasons. it's really important to the whole decision behind the sealing

e: lews therin did nothing wrong

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Have they introduced what a "seal" is at all? Did they mention this was one of the Dark One's seals? I don't think the show has done that at all. To a TV only viewer it would be just baffling as to why Moraine would think some "heartstone" being broken would indicate this is not the last battle.

this is introducing all the things you are talking about, moiraine didn't know there was a seal there, tune in next year to see her on camera learn more about this important subject

edit: lol did you really post about this in the other thread pretending you don't know what cuendillar is

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Were people so impressed by the end of TEOTW in the books that they’re mad about changes here?

I’m pretty okay with them making changes to the structure of the early books tbh because most of what makes WOT great kind of hits in the middle and end of the overall arch.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I liked:
Lews Therin is outstanding, and the shot of the Age of Legends was breathtaking.
Ishamael is perfect. Just the right mix of crazy and smug.
Seanchan look really cool. I guess they're replacing leashes with gags? Probably a good idea, but it's still really kinky.
Characterization is good. I liked the hints of a pending Laneave breakup, Perrin's reaction to Fain, and Rand having a feminist epiphany.
Min let her hair down! :swoon:

I didn't like:
Not so sure about having the opening scene in the Old Tongue. Seems unneeded. They could've just started it in the Old Tongue, then continued in the vernacular with the understanding they were still speaking it. Like the start of Red October.
It would've been better if there was a military objective to the Seanchan tsunami. Like, they could have had a fort or city behind the beach, and the scene would have been fine. Summoning a wave to kill a little girl just makes them look like petty dicks (which may be book-accurate).

What the gently caress, though:
They killed Loial and Uno?!

William Bear fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 24, 2021

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It feels like they’re leaning hard on the books to fill in the gaps. Which is probably necessary given the pace they have to make until the books start really slowing down.

Overall I thought it was ok, not a rousing finale but decent.

Open plot threads / predictions, with spoilers for those who haven’t seen it yet:

Rand: wandering off on his own. Next stop Caemlyn?
Loial/ Uno: presumably not actually dead?
Moraine: stilled, hopefully temporarily.
Seanchan: summoning tsunamis to defeat, uh, one little girl?
Nynaeve and Egwene: next stop white tower politics, black Ajah stuff?
Perrin, Mat: no idea what they’re doing with them.
Min: in the wind, expect she will show up wherever Rand is.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 24, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
90% that moiraine is shielded, not stilled. I thought the books said being shielded you can still feel the source but with a wall between you, but stilled you're cut off completely and it's an empty hole where it was. I was only half right, though. It definitely feels like something was cut away but apparently they can still feel the source, just like shielding.

If she is severed, she'll probably be the one Nynaeve heals instead of (or maybe with!) Siuan and we'll get more of "you need to find a reason to live, and throwing myself into my cause is mine" in the interim

The thing that annoys me is that I thought Linking protected the channeler a like using an angreal or sa'angreal did, so this is a very intriguing decision. I did like the depiction of burning out at least, especially Amalisa saying how intoxicating it was

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

William Bear posted:

I didn't like:
Not so sure about having the opening scene in the Old Tongue. Seems unneeded. They could've just started it in the Old Tongue, then continued in the vernacular with the understanding they were still speaking it. Like the start of Red October.

What the gently caress, though:
They killed Loial and Uno?!

Yea, the cold open I really hated the full thing being in Old Tongue. I understand that there were some cool bits in there and it sounded very natural which is nice. But I hate having to read during a movie because I'm not looking at the characters or the scenery or any of that.

What the gently caress?
Uno is still moving around, and if they dont' die on screen they aren't dead.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

The thing that annoys me is that I thought Linking protected the channeler a like using an angreal or sa'angreal did, so this is a very intriguing decision. I did like the depiction of burning out at least, especially Amalisa saying how intoxicating it was

honestly it's a good answer to "why don't the aes sedai constantly link when you can do such unbelievable things in circles?" if the person running the circle can burn you out through intent or ignorance

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

eke out posted:

this is introducing all the things you are talking about, moiraine didn't know there was a seal there, tune in next year to see her on camera learn more about this important subject

edit: lol did you really post about this in the other thread pretending you don't know what cuendillar is

Yes. I also called Ishamial "The Dark One" because it's the no spoilers thread.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

If she is severed, she'll probably be the one Nynaeve heals instead of (or maybe with!) Siuan and we'll get more of "you need to find a reason to live, and throwing myself into my cause is mine" in the interim

The thing that annoys me is that I thought Linking [spoiler]protected the channeler a like using an angreal or sa'angreal did, so this is a very intriguing decision. I did like the depiction of burning out at least, especially Amalisa saying how intoxicating it was

On Moiraine, When Logain was gentled there was a huge ole effect played showing Saidar exploding out of his chest. Moiraine doesn't get that effect. It's a shield that she can't detect because it's Saidin.

On Linking Yea that was a weird change I think. BUT I did like the attention to detail showing the strength of Nyneave and Egwene with more power flowing into them, and it was brighter and thicker.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

feigning ignorance and pretend-asking questions about things you know are significant from the books is a bad look

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

From a non-reader perspective what they know is that it's the dark one's prison and they extremely obviously show Rand cracking it

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

now that i'm done being mad about the cold open i will say that this episode had some really brilliant stuff, but also some really "what" going on

the brilliant: padan fain continues to own, excellent casting and i loved his monologue to perrin. i liked moiraine and rand in this episode a lot, along with ishy. these were the elements i'm 100% on board with, with the exception of the sa'angreal which i'll get to. i enjoyed the linking at tarwin's gap. casting of lews therin

the good: the nynaeve lan scene was nice

the bad: i don't like the implication that mat went darkfriend? the sa'angreal should have been a little fat man. the cold open, outside of the visual and acting, both of which were excellent.

the unknown: rand wandering away is an interesting choice and i think i like it, we'll have to see though. i'm... not entirely sold on the seanchan, yet, but i expect i'll dig it in time. is loial gonna actually be dead? he better not be

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

VanillaGorilla posted:

Were people so impressed by the end of TEOTW in the books that they’re mad about changes here?

I’m pretty okay with them making changes to the structure of the early books tbh because most of what makes WOT great kind of hits in the middle and end of the overall arch.

The ending of eye wasn't spectacular, but do you think this was better? Do they gain anything by having the other 3 not join Rand to go meet the Aiel, or by killing Loial or Aggelmar? How did Fain even get the dagger?

I didn't say gently caress the show forever, I said I would just recommend the books at this point and am not really hyped for next season like I was. The changes they made seemed nonsensical, ignoring the seemingly unnecessary terminology changes.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

CainFortea posted:

On Linking Yea that was a weird change I think. BUT I did like the attention to detail showing the strength of Nyneave and Egwene with more power flowing into them, and it was brighter and thicker.

Amalisa visibly jumped when Nynaeve's juice hit her, which made me laugh. Linking with Nynaeve must feel like a kick in the crotch+being struck by lightning.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

Do they gain anything by having the other 3 not join Rand to go meet the Aiel, or by killing Loial or Aggelmar?

it seems extremely possible that literally none of these things you said are correct

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nitrousoxide posted:

Maybe just don't post ya dingus

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

Rand: wandering off on his own. Next stop Caemlyn?
Loial/ Uno: presumably not actually dead?
Moraine: stilled, hopefully temporarily.
Seanchan: summoning tsunamis to defeat, uh, one little girl?
Nynaeve and Egwene: next stop white tower politics, black Ajah stuff?
Perrin, Mat: no idea what they’re doing with them.
Min: in the wind, expect she will show up wherever Rand is.

Moiraine: Tied off shield. Needs Logain or Rand to release her
Seanchan They were maybe expecting a hostile, contested landing. So they cleared the landing zone
Nynaeve, Egwene: Agreed.
Perrin, Mat: Obviously chasing Padan Fain for the dagger and the Horn of Valere

vvv I agree, the end result of the changes isn‘t that big a difference from the books. The path to get there was very good and not solely focussed on Rand doing everything. I liked it.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 24, 2021

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Not sure why people are so concerned about the changes so far?

I mean, of the big ones (spoilers for people who haven't had a chance to watch):

- Moiraine stilled or shielded. Yes its a change, but she can still be an advisor and let the other cast members step forward. This season was basically her story, and now she may take more of a secondary character just like in the books. If they do want to use her for Belal/Lanfear stuff, that really looked more like a shield - compare it to how Logain's gentling went. It could be a tied off shield that Rand helps break at the right time.
- Loial dead? I don't believe it. I think they probably intended Mat to be injured by the dagger originally, giving them the personal motivation to hunt after Fain and retrieve the dagger. That was altered due to the casting. I think Loial will be injured but not dead.
- Mat is obviously going to have some different path than intended. But he's shown to be at the Tower. My guess is he will be captured and fully healed like in the books, and meet up with Thom in Tar Valon.
- Nynaeve/Egwene are basically in the same place. Probably heading to the White Tower in the next season.
- Rand is the big question mark. Where is he intending to go? But although this is the biggest difference in my opinion, there's a billion ways to tie him back into the main group. The circle of women defending Tarwin's Gap instead of Rand is a change, but it doesn't alter anything, and it came at a major cost..
- The horn/dagger is exactly like after the beginning of book 2, in Fain's hands. Where he goes we don't know, but this isn't a departure.
- The Seanchan are showing up where they would. No change so far.
- Ishamael is he dead/balefired? Maybe. But Rand thought he destroyed the Dark One in the book too. Right now from a book point of view, we are left in the same place. You could argue that if that was balefire, it messes up the resurrection. But that's not a rule introduced in the show as of yet. We don't know if resurrections will be kept in. Moridin seems important to book readers, but there are other ways of doing it.

Basically I don't think the show changed as much as people are displaying. We still have the hook for next season that was the hook for the Great Hunt. Yes the details will be different but we knew that was going to be the case. Personally loved the episode. Would I change small things about it like not calling LTT the Dragon Reborn? Sure. But I don't really give a poo poo about things like that. I think next season we may get the Eye prologue as an opening, or perhaps later, but it will come in, especially as LTT become a more central character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Episode owned. I hope they go all in on the Aes Sedai being wrong about almost everything, and all of the very precise prophesy engineering being completely misinterpreted.