Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

That was some off the charts food horror, would definitely rather eat newborn rotisserie chicken and/or dirt over tuna quiche what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I was thinking of making a little Yellowjackets menu to eat while watching the season 1 finale but the tuna quiche is a bridge too far even for me. Will definitely have a chocolate martini or 3

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The real Yellowjackets menu would be nothing with a side of lesbian (sub?)text.

But otherwise, ideas :

Steak tartare with wild berry jam.

A a chocolate “pica” cake (picake?) with chocolate caramel crumbles.

Mayor of Pound(cake) Town.

Ladyfingers. (Profoundly not sorry)

Corn nuts.

Cheeseburger “baby” sliders.

An empty prescription bottle labeled “Lottie” full of Mike and Ikes.

Beef Jacque-y.

Rabbit chili. (Natch.)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The baby one has to be chicken based, cmon

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Yes yes hell yes. I'm waiting on the pica until we have more info-- if it's addressed in ep 9 it will make it into the final menu. Up til now my plans involved a chocolate martini, beef jerky, some kind of pasty (is this meat? *pleh*), and whiskey soda red label double. Also at least rabbit chili if I can't get my hands on venison.

I have saved at least 2 stupid fan theories this week, I'm glad y'all don't mind seeing them.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Can't tell if this show is a slow burn or just dragging it's feet.

I'm also completely confused at what is actually happening in the show and who/what is the antagonist. Lots of similarities with Lost, for better or worse, and seems to be veering into Evil Dead territory but is refusing to be explicit. There is just a poo poo ton of elements at work, almost every kind of teen and/or horror trope seems to come up. One girl is possessed by an evil spirit, another girl is either schizophrenic or clairvoyant, another girl is a candidate for munchausen-by-proxy, one girl is pregnant with her best friends' boyfriends' baby, other girls are gay, the coach might be a pedo, theres some kind of cult element, maybe a ghost, etc. etc. and we know they go full Armie Hammer.

I think the show is well-made, has a great cast and an interesting premise, but imo the pacing is becoming frustrating. Really hope the last few episodes start pulling some of these pieces together.
If they find a hatch or some research station then I'm going to pull my hair out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So next week Shauna is definitely finding glitter on the shirt Jeff left on the bed right

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Serious question :

Why do you assume the show has to have that level of telicity?

The show hasn’t actually invoked Evil Dead (for example), spooky poo poo has just happened in a cabin so you’re drawing a parallel. Which yeah, that’s what brains do but the show isn’t making you do that you’re just identifying patterns that are broadly similar to what’s going on. I’m wondering if you aren’t making the show busier for yourself than it actually is.

Like, no one in the story has been confirmed as being possessed, full stop, basta, that’s just a fact of what has aired so far. There have been scenes of characters acting loving weird for unknown reasons ; there has not been a shot of some bullshit like a spooky ghost flying into Van and making her dance. From what’s actually been on screen, a lot of stuff you mention has only been implied as a possible thing that’s happening, not as true. So I wonder if it’s possible you might need to relax or something.

Of course I could totally be wrong and dumb and you’re correct and I’m not gonna tell you how to watch something cause I’m not TV Opinion Dad. Just offering a possibly incorrect opinion on what I think might be affecting your viewing. Idk fart fart chicken baby.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
the antagonist is mostly the human tendency to socially degrade and tribalise in times of extreme stress

also the inability to safely process trauma

also the blackmailer

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

the antagonist is mostly the human tendency to socially degrade and tribalise in times of extreme stress

also the inability to safely process trauma

also the blackmailer

And Misty.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
and spooky spooky nature

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

CGI wolfs are the first effect on this show I would definitely call bad. And the camera shows them all in their goofy glory. Inadequate choice.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Why am I incapable of watching a show about starving people without snacks.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

And Misty.

well misty is more amoral than an antagonist. shes explicitly loyal to her teammates

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

well misty is more amoral than an antagonist. shes explicitly loyal to her teammates

Misty’s loyal to the same extent as my cat is.

Also can we discuss the real horror of painfully awkward and terrible virgin sex is? Even tuna quiche and New Jersey don’t seem so bad in comparison.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Misty’s loyal to the same extent as my cat is.

Also can we discuss the real horror of painfully awkward and terrible virgin sex is? Even tuna quiche and New Jersey don’t seem so bad in comparison.

Excuse me my three cats are very loyal. Adult Misty is bae.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We are both a heart attack or a bad fall away from becoming cat food and you know it. If the two-legs can not open the food, we become the food.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

We are both a heart attack or a bad fall away from becoming cat food and you know it. If the two-legs can not open the food, we become the food.

I read that cats only eat your lips. Dogs are the ones you've gotta watch out for.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Misty dazzled me with her cunning in this episode.

I had figured their journey south would go badly but I'm a little disappointed by where they took it-- is it not enough to be disoriented by miles of woodland? So many people die on the Appalachian trail, lost in the woods mere miles from the trail itself.

I'm also unhappy with how hard they're leaning into Lottie being psychic but maybe they'll surprise me. I was never expecting a perfect nuanced depiction of psychiatric illness but I expected them to balance the mystical and the mundane a little better.

Hot scorching takes I collected last week:

:tinfoil:

ETA: Malibu and milk sounds like Potion of Puke Yourself and this is coming from someone who regularly drank Mailbu and Mtn Dew in college

coronatae fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 27, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Hey fellow survivors, it's me Javi. I know I don't get a lot of attention, but I just want you to know that I love art. Specifically whittling, can't get enough of it. It's probably something I'll continue to do for pleasure for twenty years or so, no matter how much doing so might negativity impact some hypothetical ongoing scheme. Welp, that's my story, thanks for listening. And just remember, if you happen to stumble upon any sort of whittled figurine at any point in the future, feel free to let your blood go cold as you realize that you've been interacting with me, good ol' Javi.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Lottie does seem pretty likely to be the antler queen, but that is such tortured bullshit “reasoning” that I hope it’s anyone else out of spite. Screw you and your idiotic clock possibly being right twice a day.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Nah it's going to be Jackie. I think they're cribbing off Lord of the Flies too hard. Lottie is the Simon character who builds the lore that frames the conflict between Shauna (Ralph) and Jackie (JACK). Misty is Rodger and is totally going to ace Coach Poundtown Piggy.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

At this point I don't know who will be the Antler Queen but if Adam is grown-up Javi I will be furious. I'm gonna :toxx: myself for the first time in my horrible goon life.

IF Adam is grown-uo Javi THEN I will donate $150 to Biblioteca Nuestros Hijos, founded by the mothers of 11 children who died in Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 from which this show draws significant influence.

I will probably donate regardless of the outcome but I might as well make it into a horrible goon gamble.

You will also get a video of me yelling NOOOOOOO if Adam turns out to be Javi

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Was Adam carving stuff, I don’t remember.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

withak posted:

Was Adam carving stuff, I don’t remember.

A problem with shorter prestige shows is the economy of characters makes it hard to put in stuff that doesn't pay off because there's just no time. One thing :lost: had going for it was that the filler episodes needed as much lore and background as the Important Plot Episodes so there was plenty of random poo poo you could base your theory-craftimg on that was never paid off and sometimes a fish biscuit is just a fish biscuit.

I'm going to groan when Shauna finds a carved figurine smeared with glitter too, but the alternative, where Adam is a random guy + COINCIDENCES is somehow less satisfying.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 27, 2021

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

They should have followed the red river downstream.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Honestly, if I found a red magnetic river in the woods, I’d probably just mess around investigating it until I starved to death or the wolves got me. You could spend days just circling around with the compass plotting out where exactly the magnetic interference starts. If it’s minerals suspended in the water it’s probably stronger upstream, but there’s only one way to check.

They’d find my corpse with a note that says, “If you stand on one foot, it swings North I think????”

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
My wife thinks Adam is the blackmailer based on the trailer, but I had a fridge thought this morning that it's gonna be Jeff. They would never give away the blackmailer twist in the loving trailer for next week. Adam = Javi is not an angle I had considered, and might add a wrinkle to the Adam-as-the-blackmailer twist. Might not be out of the realm of possibility.

I think the Antler Queen is either gonna be Misty or Shauna. I also don't think that Ben is really into Misty. I think he's scared shitless of her because she already poisoned him once and he's on self-preservation mode. He almost seemed relieved when she announced she was leaving.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ya think?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

coronatae posted:

At this point I don't know who will be the Antler Queen but if Adam is grown-up Javi I will be furious. I'm gonna :toxx: myself for the first time in my horrible goon life.

IF Adam is grown-uo Javi THEN I will donate $150 to Biblioteca Nuestros Hijos, founded by the mothers of 11 children who died in Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 from which this show draws significant influence.

I will probably donate regardless of the outcome but I might as well make it into a horrible goon gamble.

You will also get a video of me yelling NOOOOOOO if Adam turns out to be Javi

…why does it bother you so much?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

It's fun to get mad at incredibly low-stakes poo poo on the Internet.

From a storytelling perspective I also think it's more interesting for him to be a creepy Yellowjackets superfan finally living his weird fantasy of getting close to one of the actual team members and hoping she'll eventually let her guard down and telling him what really happened out there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

D34THROW posted:

My wife thinks Adam is the blackmailer based on the trailer, but I had a fridge thought this morning that it's gonna be Jeff.

That's my thought, like I said they said "We'll be on the lookout for someone covered in glitter", and Jeff put his shirt down for Shauna to wash.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

D34THROW posted:

I also don't think that Ben is really into Misty. I think he's scared shitless of her because she already poisoned him once and he's on self-preservation mode. He almost seemed relieved when she announced she was leaving.

I´ve seen some really weird and abstract theories in my time, but that one has to set some kind of record.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My personal theory is that the four older women called Misty, Shauna, Taissa and Natalie and the four younger women called Misty, Shauna, Taissa and Natalie are, in fact, the same four people.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

My personal theory is that the four older women called Misty, Shauna, Taissa and Natalie and the four younger women called Misty, Shauna, Taissa and Natalie are, in fact, the same four people.

Well that doesn't make any sense, for that to work there would have to be multiple timelines in the show! Although future-Shauna's daughter did have an outfit similar to the one past-Shauna wore, perhaps there is some sort of multiple realities in play?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the final episode we will learn that the four surviving girls made a pact to swap identities before thy were rescued.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The Antler Has Four Points.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

D34THROW posted:

My wife thinks Adam is the blackmailer based on the trailer, but I had a fridge thought this morning that it's gonna be Jeff. They would never give away the blackmailer twist in the loving trailer for next week. Adam = Javi is not an angle I had considered, and might add a wrinkle to the Adam-as-the-blackmailer twist. Might not be out of the realm of possibility.

I think the Antler Queen is either gonna be Misty or Shauna. I also don't think that Ben is really into Misty. I think he's scared shitless of her because she already poisoned him once and he's on self-preservation mode. He almost seemed relieved when she announced she was leaving.

misty was revealed to be explicitly *not* the antler queen in the first episode

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Fingers crossed that Van is only mostly dead. I need messy teen breakup and maiming recrimination to really up the drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

misty was revealed to be explicitly *not* the antler queen in the first episode

I forgot that :v: Then I'm gonna change my guess to Nat or Shauna since Nat seems to have been completely hosed up by that experience, more than any of them.

Side note, I have a hard time making the Sophie Thatcher - Juliette Lewis jump. The eyes are so...different. Which also reminds me, did Travis pop early or just not get it up? Wife and I think he popped early but we skip most of most sex scenes in general.