Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Roth posted:

How is criticizing lovely things actual lovely therapist do anti-therapy in general?

There's an issue with systemic racism and sexism in the medical field, but I wouldn't call a movie criticizing that anti-Doctor

Isn't the blue pill in this film a criticism of medication in general?

Oh and the only therapist in this movie happens to be super evil. What a coincidence! Just bad luck I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Despera posted:

Oh and the only therapist in this movie happens to be super evil. What a coincidence! Just bad luck I guess.

So are you saying if anything appears in fiction it is obligated to include a 'good' counterpart or else it is making a blanket statement on entire professions?

edit: Also if "medication is all bad and evil" was the reading then wouldn't the red pill also be bad?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There are significant critiques that a lot of therapy practices are just about getting people to accept how much loving poo poo life is. Not helping through trauma, having breakthroughs about what they want or actually improving things but just to remold them into more effective capitalist subjects. Tons of psychological diagnoses are premised on 'does this make them a worse worker or get them in the way of reproducing more workers y/n?' Its a heavily individualized system. Which is not that all therapy is bad or that all therapists are bad but that the Analyst fully embodies the worst and most degenerative forms of it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Despera posted:

The blue pill was the wrong medication for Neo's problem. The red pill was correct.

It really is this simple.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

So are you saying if anything appears in fiction it is obligated to include a 'good' counterpart or else it is making a blanket statement on entire professions?

edit: Also if "medication is all bad and evil" was the reading then wouldn't the red pill also be bad?

You only need the red pill once, which given to by the good guys. Blue pill was prescribed in buckets. It would be one thing if the villian was an evil therapist but having him be also a psychiatrist who prescribes the zombie controller meds is what puts it in the scientology hall of fame.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Matrix: "Society has systems of oppression and individuals can be compelled to be their own oppressors or those for others. Marginalized people find out how quickly people can turn on them if they step out of line."
Libs: *swarm out of every corner* "AHEM WHY DO YOU HATE THERAPISTS AND OUR HEROIC POLICE?"

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Roth posted:

The blue pill was the wrong medication for Neo's problem. The red pill was correct.

It really is this simple.

It wouldnt make much sense for the villian to give him the red pill would it? Its not like incompetence rather than malice was the motive for the choice of medication

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This an all-timer read of the movie along with the "Man of Steel is anti-immigrant because Zod is an alien" reading in early Snyderdome

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Shiroc posted:

There are significant critiques that a lot of therapy practices are just about getting people to accept how much loving poo poo life is. Not helping through trauma, having breakthroughs about what they want or actually improving things but just to remold them into more effective capitalist subjects. Tons of psychological diagnoses are premised on 'does this make them a worse worker or get them in the way of reproducing more workers y/n?' Its a heavily individualized system. Which is not that all therapy is bad or that all therapists are bad but that the Analyst fully embodies the worst and most degenerative forms of it.

Yep, this is the idea and the argument of contrarian dork "the movie says psychiatry is bad and therefore the movie is bad because psychiatry is good" vs. anticapitalist antifa avatar "actually it doesn't say that because we all know psychiatry is good so that would be wrong" is agonizing

Resurrections literally goes full Equilibrium with drugs dulling the human spirit and rejection thereof being framed as liberation. Same as in Equilibrium, the answer is to destroy the system of control.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
The tagline should have been "we made the film wrong, as a joke"

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The pills are just stand ins for easily consumable medias to keep people's attention. The analyst is the algorithm and as such hands out blue pills that are optimized for user retention (i.e clickbait articles, posts that see, and such).

Outside of convincing Neo that his memories and feeling are illusions, the movie isn't really concerned with psychiatry beyond means to maximize user retention. The analyst always talks in terms trying maximize energy output (profit).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

VROOM VROOM posted:

Yep, this is the idea and the argument of contrarian dork "the movie says psychiatry is bad and therefore the movie is bad because psychiatry is good" vs. anticapitalist antifa avatar "actually it doesn't say that because we all know psychiatry is good so that would be wrong" is agonizing

Resurrections literally goes full Equilibrium with drugs dulling the human spirit and rejection thereof being framed as liberation. Same as in Equilibrium, the answer is to destroy the system of control.

Resurrections could have used more gunkata, tho. Equilibrium wins.

Sorry folks, the math don't lie.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

VROOM VROOM posted:

The movie is bad because the action sucks. I just love picking it apart because supposedly YOU GOTTA GET IT THIS HIGH CONCEPT MOVIE quickly turns problematic under the slighest scrutiny

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The architect was the bad guy in the last movie therefore the movie said all architecture is bad,.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The architect was the bad guy in the last movie therefore the movie said all architecture is bad,.

Oh yeah dont forget the malicious evil software chose to be a therapist

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
In the first film a homeless man turned into a kungfu fighting government secret agent. Movie was clearly telling us not to trust the homeless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VROOM VROOM posted:

I literally said earlier in a post that the point is "therapy that exists only to feed the capitalist machine with a focus on making the problems stop to earn money over actual mental health and wellbeing" but yeah go off like that.

There's a difference between recognizing the flaws of therapy and going "actually all medication is bad and evil" because some medication is in fact very good and should not be stigmatized but even then it is merely part of an overall system that considers you a literal commodity.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The architect was the bad guy in the last movie therefore the movie said all architecture is bad, ergo

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Resurrections could have used more gunkata, tho. Equilibrium wins.

Sorry folks, the math don't lie.
:agreed: but Equilibrium is cool because gunkata is supposedly this product of perfect emotionless logical analysis but when Christian Bale frees his mind heart he doesn't abandon it, and in fact it just makes his gunkata stronger than everybody else's. There's plenty of this sort of synthesis stuff in the Matrix series too

Despera posted:

The movie is bad because the action sucks. I just love picking it apart because supposedly YOU GOTTA GET IT THIS HIGH CONCEPT MOVIE quickly turns problematic under the slighest scrutiny
actually it has very good politics and is good because the action sucks

ImpAtom posted:

I literally said earlier in a post that the point is "therapy that exists only to feed the capitalist machine with a focus on making the problems stop to earn money over actual mental health and wellbeing" but yeah go off like that.

Oh I missed that you were the one who made the post about "finding the right therapist" which I liked but I very much disagree with your "The Analyst is not a real therapist" take (therapist/psychiatrist distinction aside)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

HD DAD posted:

60 years have passed since Revolutions, and the machines literally rebuilt Neo and Trinity over time, keeping them young-ish.

I'm a little surprised this wasn't considered a big deal when Neo was taken back to Io to see Niobe. The machines have essentially developed the technology to make humans immortal and while Neo was likely easier for them by being intact and carried away at the end of Revolutions, Trinity was skewered with her corpse probably there for a good while before the machines thought to retrieve it to see if it could assist in reviving Neo.

Speaking of, with some machines now living in harmony with humans (I really liked the strawberry scene) I wondered how old they were and if any had been around long enough to see the fall of civilization and educate the people of Io and perhaps have a plotline where peace with the machine city and genuine collaboration efforts to unify and fix the world would be attempted. If there's another movie I'd be interested in seeing this idea pursued, especially given how prescient it would be, with the tug-of-war between reality and those happily plugged into the Matrix being the opposing force with the conflict revolving over maintaining the status quo or everyone facing the ugly reality but having to come together to fix it. I feel like they've laid the narrative foundations in the series ranging from the first film establishing that people will fight to protect the illusion and Resurrections elevating that to the theory presented by the Analyst and the bots.

Regarding Smith, the recasting did not bother me that much except when Smith interfered with the Analyst in the coffee shop scene and was somehow immune to the Analyst's time shenanigans, that scene would have been elevated tremendously with Hugo Weaving and it's a shame they couldn't manage to get him just for that (could have been justified by a simple "If we're all going back to our old selves..." quip given the Neo & Trinity situation at that moment) or have licensed his likeness for CGI and done the voice lines long distance. That recent Unreal Engine project for the Matrix is a good showcase for how well this would work.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

There's a difference between recognizing the flaws of therapy and going "actually all medication is bad and evil" because some medication is in fact very good and should not be stigmatized but even then it is merely part of an overall system that considers you a literal commodity.

Also another problem with the "you think they should put in a good therapist just to balance it out?" If the therapist does stereotypically evil things and hands out sterotypically evil medication we kinda as viewers have to assume there is truth in this stereotype otherwise why bring it up? The therapist isnt doing something like not listening, he is using his power to control neo which is a common complaint of the anti-psychiatry club.

Also Neo spends the first third of the movie complaining about common medication side effects, groggyness , tiredness etc.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Despera posted:

As someone who had a partner who had an incredibly abusive therapist for 7 years that did way more damage than good you have no idea what you're talking about shut the gently caress up lol

the movie is not anti-therapy/anti-psychiatry because the bad guy happens to be a therapist. lovely therapists exist in real life. Plenty of really good ones exist too!!! depiction does not equal endorsement.

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 24, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VROOM VROOM posted:

Oh I missed that you were the one who made the post about "finding the right therapist" which I liked but I very much disagree with your "The Analyst is not a real therapist" take (therapist/psychiatrist distinction aside)

Yeah, actually, you're right there.

I meant more "The Analyst is not actually a person interested in mental health care" which isn't quite the same thing because yeah a lot of therapists are that way, andsaying he isn't a real therapist kind of misses the point. Sorry about that.

Despera posted:

Also another problem with the "you think they should put in a good therapist just to balance it out?" If the therapist does stereotypically evil things and hands out sterotypically evil medication we kinda as viewers have to assume there is truth in this stereotype otherwise why bring it up? The therapist isnt doing something like not listening, he is using his power to control neo which is a common complaint of the anti-psychiatry club.

Also Neo spends the first third of the movie complaining about common medication side effects, groggyness , tiredness etc.

Do you think a film that has a bad medical doctor is saying all medical doctors are evil?

And Neo spends the first third of the film depressed as poo poo. Like what you mention can be a medical side effect but it is far more relevant as symptoms of severe depression which he shows a ton of.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 24, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This movie is bad because the supposed 'heroes' use violence in response to people physically attacking them when it should have been emphasizing the importance of voting.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Do you think a film that has a bad medical doctor is saying all medical doctors are evil?

*watching re-animator* hmmm this is pretty problematic if u ask me...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Shitshow posted:

Seriously, the action sequences were extremely rote and got in the way of an interesting story.

Give me an existential horror film where an unstable Neo has to convince a happily married Trinity that everything is a lie and they once had a life together.

I got to be honest, if that's where it was going I would be impressed but people would be even more pissed. I half expected it to lead up to something like Neo convincing Tiffany to leave her life for him and him ending up arrested for harassing her or something which would have been an incredible beef amongst fans but a bold rear end move.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 24, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Being trans has been super well understood for a long rear end loving time but the problem is that its easier to tell people they're not and they should forget about it.

I've had multiple terrible therapists who just gave me random drugs and terrible advice when I was eggy as gently caress. Some of my friends have had therapists who really helped them.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
the blue pills are Facebook and Twitter stand-ins

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Shiroc posted:

This movie is bad because the supposed 'heroes' use violence in response to people physically attacking them when it should have been emphasizing the importance of voting.

loving lmao

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Why does bug have blue pill colored hair anyway?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I liked it. The Wachowskis can be some of the most self-indulgent tv/movie makers around, but they're also the ones I'm most forgiving of being self-indulgent.

There's a lot that works and there's a lot that doesn't work, but the emotional highs worked for me. Neil Patrick Harris was fantastic, he really stole the show for me. The Smith stuff...didn't work as much, though I did like him interrupting NPHs villain monologue. Both Keanu and Carrie Anne-Moss were great and I was genuinely moved to see them reunited in the "real world" at the end, and just to see two 50-somethings embrace without being digitally de-aged or anything. Something very nice about seeing two (admittedly insanely gorgeous) people embrace their age. Everything around the beginning is great (although the very first scene is clunky as hell and it really should have started with just Neo and Trinity in the Matrix, IMO. Don't give me 5 minutes of expository technobabble, but, thats very Wachowski).

There's a lot of flabbiness in the rest of the film. The Bugs character never clicked with me and the Morpheus stuff is conceptually promising but doesn't really go anywhere interesting. The character basically disappears in the second half.

Didn't care for any of the Zion/Io/Niobe stuff. Possible interesting threads about a Machine civil war, but mostly glossed over.

Of course Lana Wachowski casts like half of Sense8 in the film.

Of course there are collaborator machines including a floating stingray/seahorse of some kind. Wachowski creativity that half works, half doesn't.

Of course the Merovingian shows up as a deranged anti-tech terrorist, and everything he says is completely true. Loved that.

Get a good editor to cut some of the threads that don't go anywhere and you have a brilliant film. As it is, still lots of fun.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I do feel like if they had gotten Hugo Weaving back this movie would have been a step up.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Lister posted:

I do get that. It's just that framing them as the most irritating people you see or listen to undermines everything they're saying, even when they make valid points. If lana wachowski's point is that anyone will cringe hearing you talk about a piece of media that you didn't create, then it's a pretty arrogant and narrow minded message.

Given that "getting redpilled" is an ultra-rightwing meme, I don't think it is inappropriate for them to include a "Look at this rear end in a top hat!" character. I don't think it is arrogant or narrow but I do think it is self-indulgent. It's an earned self-indulgence but it is still a self-indulgence.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
ty for the thread title but it looks like the end got cut off, pls fix (e: it's perfect)

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, actually, you're right there.

I meant more "The Analyst is not actually a person interested in mental health care" which isn't quite the same thing because yeah a lot of therapists are that way, andsaying he isn't a real therapist kind of misses the point. Sorry about that.

And Neo spends the first third of the film depressed as poo poo. Like what you mention can be a medical side effect but it is far more relevant as symptoms of severe depression which he shows a ton of.

Oh yeah with some more careful reading it seems the main point of disagreement between you and the person who is salty because the pew pew did not live up to expectations is about whether the film is saying literally all medication and mental health care is bad, which is a very silly thing to argue about, but I understand the concern that critiquing psychiatry could dissuade people from seeking care

But it does set forth that a lot of psychiatrists are like this and that this is perhaps one of the defining features of modern capitalist healthcare. Mental health is clinically defined as one's ability to be exploited, psychiatrists are authority figures, and so on. "Good therapists", as in people who care about you as a person and want you to be happy, are posited to be the exception, because that is not the goal as handed down by the System. The reveal of the Analyst as the one maintaining this system is thus just an expansion of his role, not a transformation or change.

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 24, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The worst thing about the new Matrix is lack of extremely horny raves.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
movie is good. I actually found the first half-hour or so to be the weakest part of the film and didn't care for a lot of the heavy-handed meta poo poo early on, but unlike a lot of franchise blockbusters, it actually gets better as it goes along and I was fully on board with it by the end.

I hope the truly incredible premise teased in the post-credits scene is followed up on

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I thought I was watching an early cut with missing CGI effects when NPH's character was stutter slow-mo'ing around the bullet time. Looked like poo poo.

They used that awful 90s dropped frame effect a handful of times in the film. I hate it.

What purpose did Christina Ricci's 30 second scene serve?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SpaceAceJase posted:

What purpose did Christina Ricci's 30 second scene serve?

I wondered this too. She's been killing it so hard on Yellowjackets that I hoped she'd have more to do here.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Barry Convex posted:

I hope the truly incredible premise teased in the post-credits scene is followed up on

What was this? I walked out halfway through the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
To comment on the action, I don't think what hurt the action had anything to do with direction or choreography, but a floatiness and a lack of stakes for most of the fight scenes. Compare the action in the first Matrix - halfway through there's a fight scene were a good chunk of the humans just straight up get murdered easily by Agents. I'm not sure any human dies throughout the entire length of Matrix Resurrections. The action is thus fairly perfunctory - you never feel like the characters are in any serious danger.

There's a lack of gravitas with the non-legacy characters - they just talk too drat much. They're constantly espousing expository dialogue and technobabble and you just tune it out at a certain point. At least the new Morpheus kinda jokes about it, he mostly worked for me. But the new crew members? Extremely interchangeable, even if I had some affection for many of them because they're Sense8 cast-offs