Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

FistEnergy posted:

I checked in with the D&D thread for the first time in a long time; it's incredible how bad the moderation is and how big of an inferiority complex they have about CSPAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

500 good dogs posted:

love learning new ways we gently caress the environment that aren't even directly climate change related

https://twitter.com/NOAAFisheries/status/1473744815112302601

Please tell me this isn't going to end with seeing the little red blip get blorped. I really can't handle animal death very well these days. The last billion deaths on the NA west coast are still seared into me.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

I read the D&D climate thread one time months ago and they were going on for pages about the search engine that plants trees when you search and figuring out how to set their browsers to default to that

did you inform them there's no need to do that since the biggest carbon capture plant just opened in iceland

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

how else do we get to keep having wildfires???

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

I read the D&D climate thread one time months ago and they were going on for pages about the search engine that plants trees when you search and figuring out how to set their browsers to default to that

I imagine if you post about the ice shelf that is collapsing or the heat records or whatever you just get banned?

If you post about heat records you get told that weather is not climate and that you're doing the same thing chuds do when record breaking cold snaps happen lol

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

IAMKOREA posted:

If you post about heat records you get told that weather is not climate and that you're doing the same thing chuds do when record breaking cold snaps happen lol

A ton of the stupidest people on the planet do this. "What you're arguing is superficially similar to something a Republican once said, so therefore it's wrong"

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

crazy we just keep setting heat records every year, starting to look like a trend.

oh well, weather is not the climate

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

IAMKOREA posted:

It's insanely cool how people who should be invested in the issue are trying this mental gymnastics masterclass to simultaneously copy the deniers that pretend there isn't a problem because they are so afraid of it while accusing you of doing the same to just shut down the discussion. This is productive and not at all self centered.

I'm sure the enlightened forum for reasoned debate is just pretending to have no idea how weather relates to climate for a really clever reason they have yet to explain.

It'd be cool if the situation was that simple though.

Seeds don't just hit a point where they no longer germinate!
They just germinate a little less based on the increment of temperature increase!

The jetstream can't just abruptly collapse hitting croplands with 110 degree spring temperatures!
The jetstream just gently flows with slight variations matching the gentle increase in global temperatures!

loving caveman tier reasoning. The worst part is they are doing it on purpose. I'd take a dumbass senator with a snowball in congress talking about how that proves the globe isn't warming over some terrified sociopath trying to manipulate the situation.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lmao if the jet stream stays put and the midwest doesn't get a meaningful corn or wheat harvest next fall

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Laterite posted:

lmao if the jet stream stays put and the midwest doesn't get a meaningful corn or wheat harvest next fall

That works out. Allows the fertilizer producers to catch up.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

ukraine is the one ring

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
sometimes i think about all the duct tape in the world and how it's just one more thing that's plastic that's loving everywhere

oh yeah, and cigarette butts

those are plastic and one of the most polluted things in the world

just countless trillions of cigarette butts

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

500 good dogs posted:

love learning new ways we gently caress the environment that aren't even directly climate change related

this is a really unexpectedly upsetting animation

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/climateguyw/status/1474252398608723971
And so, it begins. This big, anomalous red blob in North America portends the warmest December week from Christmas through New Years in recorded history for most of the United States.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

silly map, you use blue or white to color in the poles

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

munce posted:

And so, it begins. This big, anomalous red blob in North America portends the warmest December week from Christmas through New Years in recorded history for most of the United States.

Is this climate?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I bet the Chinese or the Russians have a heat gun satellite blasting the US. Only realistic explanation

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

munce posted:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

i wonder how much energy it takes to keep that shack heated in the winter

reptilian_brain
Sep 8, 2010

500 good dogs posted:

this makes me sick to my stomach, like watching an extinction in real-time.

it reminds me of a scene from some climate change documentary I saw recently where the the last orangutan in the last tree of a rainforest was hanging on for dear life.

at least we get a catchy hashtag from it, #goslowwhalesbelow!!

reptilian_brain has issued a correction as of 08:16 on Dec 24, 2021

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
um actually any individual whale having something happen to them isn't related to climate change at all because climate change is a global system and an individual whale is part of a local system

i am a very smart genius with big brain opinions who is very correct

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

We need to remove wealth from billionaires, and delete the removed wealth. Consumption causes problems, and when the money ceases to exist you can't use it for consumption. That way they don't have the money to affect politicans either anymore.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ihmemies posted:

We need to remove billionaires

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So someone has guesstimated historical co2 ppm's and temperatures. https://earth.org/data_visualization/a-brief-history-of-co2/

Looking at these 2 graphs:

So the current 400-500ppm gives around +6C after the sun has had enough time to warm up the planet and natural processes reach the equilibrium.

Ofc things don't stop at +6C since lots of frozen methane and carbon melts eventually before reaching equilibrium, so it probably gives at least another 500ppm (the numbers don't really matter) so another +6C totalling +12C.

So at the current point in emissions, we are set for +12C warming. The system hasn't had quite enough time to catch up with this yet.

I'd like to know what data the scientists have based their 2-3C warming goals on?

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Dec 24, 2021

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
why dont we just go to a new earth

then we dont have to stop burning oil

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

that's the kind of reasoning that made the aliens isolate us from the rest of space society

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

So someone has guesstimated historical co2 ppm's and temperatures. https://earth.org/data_visualization/a-brief-history-of-co2/

So the current 400-500ppm gives around +6C after the sun has had enough time to warm up the planet and natural processes reach the equilibrium.

Ofc things don't stop at +6C since lots of frozen methane and carbon melts eventually before reaching equilibrium, so it probably gives at least another 500ppm (the numbers don't really matter) so another +6C totalling +12C.

So at the current point in emissions, we are set for +12C warming. The system hasn't had quite enough time to catch up with this yet.

I'd like to know what data the scientists have based their 2-3C warming goals on?

they just spend the whole conference shouting “doomer” at the one guy who presented it

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

IAMKOREA posted:

Is this climate?

No son,

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

they just spend the whole conference shouting “doomer” at the one guy who presented it

Well they are not wrong. We are in fact doomed, and have been, for a long time already. We just haven't realized it yet :v: Now you can enjoy the life to the fullest... free from the burdens of responsibility.

I really don't know what else to do in a doomed world, than to enjoy it as long as possible.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why doesn't everyone just move to koppen cwb

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fame Douglas posted:

We very much can rule out nerve agents; if Russia were to invade, it'd be to annex a territory that's pretty much Russia-aligned already. Deploying nerve agents for such a mission would be moronic.

Russian media is already laying the groundwork to justify their (:rolleyes: retaliatory :jerkbag:) use: https://tass.com/world/1379319

Even if they don't start flinging Novichok around like tear gas, they're likely going to employ massive quantities of similarly nasty poo poo like white phosphorus.

This is a military power who used to chuck thermobaric warheads and theater ballistic missiles into Grozny, aiming for markets. They don't give a gently caress so long as it makes for a quicker victory. Ask those theater-goers that got gassed.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Russian media is already laying the groundwork to justify their use: https://tass.com/world/1379319

Even if they don't start flinging Novichok around like tear gas, they're likely going to employ massive quantities of similarly nasty poo poo like white phosphorus.

This is a military power who used to chuck thermobaric warheads and theater ballistic missiles into Grozny, aiming for markets. They don't give a gently caress so long as it makes for a quicker victory. Ask those theater-goers that got gassed.

Makes absolutely no sense to use either here, just no. Or do you think they used nerve agents or white phosphorus in Crimea? If they're doing it, they're pretty much taking over friendly territory. Read less Ukranian propaganda.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

IAMKOREA posted:

Is this climate?

it's a christmas miracle

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Look I'm not sure if you've read the IPCC reports or not but everything is going to be fine dont worry

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Dove back into the D&D climate thread and they are now really worried about China and Russia collapsing because of climate treaties being too mean on their economies. The climate treaties are also going to cause a domino effect of every country collapsing into fascism somehow?? after China goes, which will negate climate progress made

They also go on about how fossil fuel development are useful tools and signs of a very peaceful and very rich world. Just wacko poo poo. Even my friend who works at Chevron doesn't say anything this stupid.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 14:18 on Dec 24, 2021

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Ihmemies posted:

I lust for permian extinction.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pryor on Fire posted:

dove back into the D&D climate thread and they are now really worried about China and Russia collapsing because of climate treaties being too mean on their economies.

They also go on about how fossil fuel development are tools of a very peaceful and very rich world. Just wacko poo poo. Even my friend who works at Chevron doesn't say anything that stupid.

It's things they have to believe because the alternative is becoming a person who posts in this thread.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I’m still waiting for the overly optimistic natural gas guy from a few years ago to turn up here

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Ihmemies posted:

the brilliant scientist called robert solow and his research

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

RCP 8.5 is just a joke measurement put in like a stretch goal right? not actually supposed to be reachable ?