Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MacheteZombie posted:

I watched alien yesterday

Still a 5/5 film

What version did you watch?

Here’s a discussion topic that I don’t think has made the rounds in a while, what version of the movie do people prefer, and why?

I prefer the theatrical cut but my “ideal” version would have elements from both, and maybe some of the other deleted scenes that didn’t make it into either cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The theatrical. I like some things from the directors cut but not all of it.

I testing out my new tv and it looked so drat good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s a pretty good Alien doc on Tubi called Memory I just watched the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve-dkztGutk

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think the alien universe works best if humans are pretty much alone.

If it's star trek with the space jockeys running around to go say hi to and forehead aliens on every other planet you lose some of the horror of the universe being barren and profoundly hostile.

I realize there's rpgs and video games and comic books and even some canon/semi-canon material to contradict this but doesn't change how I think the themes work ar their purest.

Like SMG said, the idea is that you run I to random alien possums or snakes and stuff, not alien people that talk to you outside of Engineers.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

MacheteZombie posted:

I watched the 4K version thats on Amazon Prime recently, and I'm still in awe at how practically nothing about it has aged. Everything from the sets, the miniatures, the cinematography, direction, creature effects, the score...it all still adds up to a movie that feels like it could've been made today. As much as I love ALIENS, that is very much an 80s movie.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Xenomrph posted:

What version did you watch?

Here’s a discussion topic that I don’t think has made the rounds in a while, what version of the movie do people prefer, and why?

I prefer the theatrical cut but my “ideal” version would have elements from both, and maybe some of the other deleted scenes that didn’t make it into either cut.

i prefer the theatrical cuts of Alien and Aliens because they have better pacing since imo most of the scenes included in the director's cut are really unnecessary and slow the movies down.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If the theatrical cut had kept the more eerie version of the alien signal and the crabwalk it would be flawless.

Aliens just needs the sentry guns scenes the rest can go.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
no it also needs Hudson going off in the drop ship and calling the aliens ants

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Alien: Theatrical cut is perfect.

Aliens: Directors Cut.
Amanda Ripley scene feels so integral to the plot/themes that I forget it's not in the theatrical.
Ditto Hudsons military hardware monologue.

I would honestly rather a cut that has that plus a few of the other smaller extended scenes and leaves out the Hadleys Hope stuff. I get the argument it drives home the horror for some to see it first as a thiving place but for me it works best as a mystery then a ghost house for your brain to fill in what it was like.

On the balthough though director's is the superior cut despite this misgiving.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Alien: Theatrical cut is perfect.

Aliens: Directors Cut.
Amanda Ripley scene feels so integral to the plot/themes that I forget it's not in the theatrical.
Ditto Hudsons military hardware monologue.

I would honestly rather a cut that has that plus a few of the other smaller extended scenes and leaves out the Hadleys Hope stuff. I get the argument it drives home the horror for some to see it first as a thiving place but for me it works best as a mystery then a ghost house for your brain to fill in what it was like.

I can swear the television cut of Aliens I recorded as a kid and watched a billion times had the sentry guns and daughter but no Newts father. Searching the Internet has other people seeing this cut as well.

I remember being super confused renting/buying the movie and it having no sentry guns, or daughter and me being absolutely sure I didn't imagine it,, but seeing the Newts father scene in the DC was definitely the first time I saw it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

I get the argument it drives home the horror for some to see it first as a thiving place but for me it works best as a mystery then a ghost house for your brain to fill in what it was like.

On one hand James Cameron has gone on record that he makes sequels with the mindset that you don’t need to have seen the first movie to understand the second so the “mystery” angle kind of makes sense if you’re going into the movie blind and never saw the first one, but on the other hand it’s a movie titled ‘Aliens’, sequel to a movie titled ‘Alien’ that had a space monster in it, and opens with scenes of the main character dreaming of space monsters and giving a deposition in which she describes having encountered a space monster. I’m not sure there’s much of a mystery. :shrug:

I can understand wanting to let your brain fill in the “before” I guess though, although I don’t have a problem with what the directors cut shows us.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

They're fine scenes and I get the argument that it drives home the fact it was a thriving colony, I just think it slows the pacing more than the worth and prefer to fill it in mentally.

The one I actively dislike is the Newt's family scenes. I personally find it a little on the nose that her family was the one in particular that blundered into the derelict. I get that movie plots are often a string of coincidences but that's one too many for me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I can totally understand that it’s a heck of a coincidence that it’s Newt’s family that finds the Derelict, but I think it’s meant to kind of pull double duty of showing the inciting incident of the colony’s downfall as well as show Newt “before” and how she acted and the fact that she had a family and she was happy, as a contrast to how she is when the Marines find her.

I think it’s a bit of a balancing act - if you want to show the “before” of the colony and establish Newt, do you show the family independent of the Derelict exploration eating dinner or whatever and then omit the Derelict scene altogether and just stick with the colony execs talking about how they’re told to check a grid reference? Or do you stretch things out with a scene of totally unrelated characters finding the Derelict? Seeing the Derelict again is a pretty great “oh poo poo” moment if you’ve seen the first movie. I’m also biased though because I love the Derelict’s design.

I dunno. Ultimately I’m not bothered by the scene, but I get the criticisms of it, though I also get that Cameron was trying to accomplish like 3 things at once with the scene.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not a coincidence that newt’s family finds the derelict

It’s the story that was told

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Not that any of this is in the movie but it's easy to imagine a scenario where Newt's survival is in some way connected to her family discovering the derelict. Like, she may have been traumatized by what she saw and then the colonists are doing tests on the facehuggers as if nothing is wrong and she's like gently caress this I'm gonna go make a secret hideout so I don't get eaten by the monsters like the rest of these idiots. In that case it wouldn't be a coincidence it would be a necessary chain of events leading to Newt's survival.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t have to imagine that….that’s the movie lol. I mean we don’t see it but it’s implied she’s smart enough to know when poo poo goes south she hides.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

I can swear the television cut of Aliens I recorded as a kid and watched a billion times had the sentry guns and daughter but no Newts father. Searching the Internet has other people seeing this cut as well.

I remember being super confused renting/buying the movie and it having no sentry guns, or daughter and me being absolutely sure I didn't imagine it,, but seeing the Newts father scene in the DC was definitely the first time I saw it.

You are 100% correct, some tv broadcasts and even at least one VHS release in Europe had the sentry gun scene but not the other scenes that were added to make the 1991 laser disk special edition which is what is now called its director's cut.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 22, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t have to imagine that….that’s the movie lol. I mean we don’t see it but it’s implied she’s smart enough to know when poo poo goes south she hides.
For what it’s worth, the Newt family scene also establishes that she’s the best at hiding because she can fit in places where the other kids (and therefore Aliens) can’t fit.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

You are 100% correct, some tv broadcasts and even at least one VHS release in Europe had the sentry gun scene but not the other scenes that were added to make the 1991 laser disk special edition which is what is now called its director's cut.

Yeah, i think a lot of 80s TV releases were doing that "add a scene you didn't see in the movie to make this a special broadcast" which is probably how it aired then. Kind of like The Thing always having the dog escape at the end of the TV version (it took me years to "overwrite" that ending when thinking about the movie).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I definitely remember seeing the sentry guns on TV in like 90 or 91. Later when I bought the box set of Alien, Aliens and The making of Alien3 on VHS I felt super bamboozled that they were gone.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Darko posted:

I've seen that cut as well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Darko posted:

Yeah, i think a lot of 80s TV releases were doing that "add a scene you didn't see in the movie to make this a special broadcast" which is probably how it aired then. Kind of like The Thing always having the dog escape at the end of the TV version (it took me years to "overwrite" that ending when thinking about the movie).

A really interesting TV version of a movie is Repo Man. Because of the amount of profanity/content in it cutting what they felt was inappropriate made it like 35 minutes long so to make it feature length the broadcast version is a significantly different movie made from deleted scenes and alternate takes.

I think my favorite will always be CBS' broadcast version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Special Longer Version. Because that's already not exactly a fast paced flick and because it's literally titled Special Longer Version.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

A really interesting TV version of a movie is Repo Man. Because of the amount of profanity/content in it cutting what they felt was inappropriate made it like 35 minutes long so to make it feature length the broadcast version is a significantly different movie made from deleted scenes and alternate takes.

I think my favorite will always be CBS' broadcast version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Special Longer Version. Because that's already not exactly a fast paced flick and because it's literally titled Special Longer Version.

Probably the version I saw as a kid and why I absolutely hated the movie.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah it was like 10 more minutes of the already 3 hour "we have a new model" establishing shot sequence of the new enterprise

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

The one you’re thinking about with the Native American came out and it’s great. It did Portals before Portal did, and even had portal tech functioning in its early builds circa like 1998, which is nuts.

https://youtu.be/Ngbwe1amOlk

Well this is a delightful surprise that made my day!

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
https://twitter.com/chetfaliszek/status/1474189860642590741?t=S6ZRVDD3JFDj_Bu0hfw4sg&s=19

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

theyre right

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

MacheteZombie posted:

Shameful.

The DC is better: alien signal, the Xeno hangning from the chains/blood shower, eggmorphing, xeno smashing the box with Jonesy, and some more I’m probably forgetting made it a much more disturbing film

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Amazon descriptions over the past year have gotten very curt and shorter than they've ever been and I loving love it. gently caress clicking through like two layers of "show more" just to see what a movie is about.

Like now Predator is just "A sneaky alien monster attacks commandos on a jungle mission in South America."

For real look at a bunch of flicks on there it's amazing:

Halloween is "Michael Meyers comes home to kill."

Halloween III is "A doctor uncovers a Halloween scheme."

Hellraiser VIII: "A Hellraiser video game becomes popular."

Jaws: The Revenge: "Another shark attacks the Brody family."

PERFECT.

Also can't forget my personal favorite Amazon plot description for a movie of all time:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MLSM posted:

Shameful.

The DC is better: alien signal, the Xeno hangning from the chains/blood shower, eggmorphing, xeno smashing the box with Jonesy, and some more I’m probably forgetting made it a much more disturbing film

The egg morphing is cool

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

The egg morphing is cool

It really, really breaks the pacing.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Darko posted:

It really, really breaks the pacing.

i agree its a cool scene but is also unnecessary to the plot and slows the escape sequence down to a crawl

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shift it and it’s better.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just wondering if the DC could be edited cleanly to have Ripley run off after finding Parker and Lambert dead, discover Dallas being eggmorphed, and then use that as the final impetus to blow up the ship? Might need some audio editing to mute all the sirens.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Payndz posted:

Just wondering if the DC could be edited cleanly to have Ripley run off after finding Parker and Lambert dead, discover Dallas being eggmorphed, and then use that as the final impetus to blow up the ship? Might need some audio editing to mute all the sirens.
That's pretty much how I'd re-edit it too.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is Hudson's dropship speech actually not in the theatrical cut of Aliens at all? Or is it just truncated?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

Is Hudson's dropship speech actually not in the theatrical cut of Aliens at all? Or is it just truncated?
I'm pretty sure it's not there at all.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
drat, that's a trip. It's easily one of my favourite and most-familiar-feeling parts of the film, I remember it as clearly as ever. The pre-infestation Hadley's Hope scenes, on the other hand, immediately felt like something new when I intentionally watched the DC a few years ago.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
They're deckin' the halls. They're deckin' the goddamn halls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A reminder to everyone in this thread that Prometheus is a Christmas movie.