Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'd say nearly 100% of people are masked in my rural town when I goto the supermarket, like small kids are the only ones without I can think of. And all stores and commercial places have signs that say stuff like "thanks for using a mask here"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Wait, ticket controls are done by the cops in Sweden?

Not ticket controls, passport checks. They’re done on the first train station in Malmö after crossing the Öresund.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'd say nearly 100% of people are masked in my rural town when I goto the supermarket, like small kids are the only ones without I can think of. And all stores and commercial places have signs that say stuff like "thanks for using a mask here"

Malmö has to be the complete opposite of this. Maybe 1/4th wearing masks in the biggest malls, otherwise it’s extremely rare to see people wear masks in public transit.

To be fair Malmö also had real rear end protests about the mere suggestion of a vaccination pass so I think it might be something in the water here.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I saw 0 signs to the effect of "please wear a mask" in stockholm. Also nobody was checking vaccinations out at pubs or restaurants.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

Wait, ticket controls are done by the cops in Sweden?

These are the completely random "are you a brown?" checks that give cops the hardest of ons. They are a total waste of time and resources if you accept the official purpose as true: keeping the hoards of illegal immigrants from entering Sweden.

They are very good for when you need to show non-whites who is boss and in general harassing people the cops don't like

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 24, 2021

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

fnox posted:

Not ticket controls, passport checks. They’re done on the first train station in Malmö after crossing the Öresund.

Malmö has to be the complete opposite of this. Maybe 1/4th wearing masks in the biggest malls, otherwise it’s extremely rare to see people wear masks in public transit.

To be fair Malmö also had real rear end protests about the mere suggestion of a vaccination pass so I think it might be something in the water here.
Malmö is crazy. I take the train to Lund for work and maybe 1/10 of the passangers wear masks — and the carts are more crowded than usual because of the traditional Christmas cancellations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well here's to a nice Christmas, gotten at least 20cm of snow and it keeps coming down.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
At the absolute peak in norrbotten, maybe 5-10% of people were wearing masks in stores. Recently, you see maybe a handful of masks if you're lucky.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Well here's to a nice Christmas, gotten at least 20cm of snow and it keeps coming down.

God jul!

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

luminalflux posted:

I saw 0 signs to the effect of "please wear a mask" in stockholm. Also nobody was checking vaccinations out at pubs or restaurants.

Purely anecdotaly here:

But from what I gather people are so sick of the half measure bullshit. If the state is gonna take this as seriously as a parent telling their 19yo not to drink too much when they're out then so too will the public.They treat a national health crisis the way greens treat climate change, individual responsability ya'll.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Purely anecdotaly here:

But from what I gather people are so sick of the half measure bullshit. If the state is gonna take this as seriously as a parent telling their 19yo not to drink too much when they're out then so too will the public.They treat a national health crisis the way greens treat climate change, individual responsability ya'll.

I mean, me personally I’m convinced the Swedish government is completely OK with the pandemic going through the population so long as the economy doesn’t tank. I’m also thoroughly convinced that FHM is collaborating with the plan and that the oddness of the Swedish response is in part willful negligence.

I’ll never not be baffled at the actual-no-joke protests against the Swedish half-measures. Like what the gently caress is that?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

fnox posted:

I mean, me personally I’m convinced the Swedish government is completely OK with the pandemic going through the population so long as the economy doesn’t tank. I’m also thoroughly convinced that FHM is collaborating with the plan and that the oddness of the Swedish response is in part willful negligence.

I’ll never not be baffled at the actual-no-joke protests against the Swedish half-measures. Like what the gently caress is that?

I’m trying to remain skeptical of FHMs intentions with their “recommendations”, but it’s sort of hard not to. I want to attribute to absolute stupidity instead of malice but I mean :cmon:

Straight pride parades have more shreds of legitimacy than any protest against the recommendations. I cannot imagine being that entitled, even as an American/swedish citizen

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I've had a single antivaxxer in my facebook feed these two years. I'd say it's still a very fringe thing in most parts of the population.

From the experiences of my friends and family, they're out there but still a lot less common than in the Anglosphere. Most have a story of one or two people at their workplace or company who has been somewhat weird about the vaccines. Of those I'd say only a subsection are active antivaxxers. So not that many but still enough people to drum up a protest of a few dozen people, which is typically the size of these things. Those people are straight up nuts against anything close to a vaccine, so even the very mild restrictions, such as having to show a vaccine pass for public events of 100+ people, will piss them off. Because they want the vaccines gone no matter what.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I’m vaccinated and that’s basically aa hard as I’m gonna try. No one wears masks here, people go into crowds with coughs etc

I already got covid early on and it was like a light cold so I’m not awfully worried about it on a personal level either. So if my fellow countrymen give no fucks I’m inclined to join in

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I'm pretty sure Sweden has a ton of people who are unvaccinated but just never talk about it due to the well earned social stigma.

Our vaccination rate is 81%. You can't go to work in a moderately sized town without passing 20 unvaccinated people. Then you probably have 2-4 unvaccinated co-workers.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Antivaxxers and covid measure protesters believe covid does not exist, or is not as bad as they say. Basically they think that if we all just ignored the government and media coverage life would go back to normal, or better yet, that it would bring about a more peaceful world. It's a very optimistic worldview, that requires little effort on their part.

A much better conspiracy theory would be that the government is happy to attempt half measures because even if they fail the people most likely to die are the old and infirm; the people they've been complaining would become a burden on our society. Right wing conspiracies usually gain a lot of ground with old people, maybe part of the reason why we're not seeing more of it in this country is the refusal to embrace this line of thinking.

Edit: My non-vaccinated colleague loves talking about it, and about how climate change is not real, or about gay propaganda in the media etc etc.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 29, 2021

fnox
May 19, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

I’m vaccinated and that’s basically aa hard as I’m gonna try. No one wears masks here, people go into crowds with coughs etc

I already got covid early on and it was like a light cold so I’m not awfully worried about it on a personal level either. So if my fellow countrymen give no fucks I’m inclined to join in

Do you actually believe that COVID is gonna be like a light cold to everyone that gets it? Are you not at all afraid that COVID seriously affects or even worse kills one of your family members, particularly the elderly? When you hear of Norway or Denmark locking down and Sweden comparably doing much less, do you think it’s them overreacting?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

One of the plus sides of my professional area is that antivaxxers are effectively nonexistent.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Collapsing Farts posted:

Do you think it will be a "light cold" the second, third and fourth time you get it? I mean, it probably doesn't matter much what you do when you have eugenicists in charge anyway, but you should probably be angry about that fact.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm personally a little afraid that my family will get it but I'd hope the vaccinations would mitigate the worst of it? We're all vaccinated and some of us double vaccinated with boosters etc. As for the elderly, well, I basically only go outside when I have to commute somewhere and the elderly on the trains don't even use masks so it feels weird that it is put on me to use one, you know? Like, am I wearing the mask to protect people who clearly don't give a gently caress?

I'd be fine with wearing a mask always if that's what society did in general but it's not, in Stockholm. It just feels like half-measures to even attempt it unless a majority does it.

I think I only saw a lot of masks for like a month or two during the pandemic (and only in the subway and places like that), the rest of the pandemic most people have been maskless.

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Dec 29, 2021

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zzulu posted:

I'd be fine with wearing a mask always if that's what society did in general but it's not, in Stockholm. It just feels like half-measures to even attempt it unless a majority does it.

Not if you wear an FFP2 or better, they offer a large degree of protection.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If you know what the right thing is to do, do the right thing.

You don’t need an official loving decree.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

fnox posted:

Do you actually believe that COVID is gonna be like a light cold to everyone that gets it? Are you not at all afraid that COVID seriously affects or even worse kills one of your family members, particularly the elderly? When you hear of Norway or Denmark locking down and Sweden comparably doing much less, do you think it’s them overreacting?

I can't believe I just had a co-worker get it and found out she wasn't vaccinated and had regularly been in the office F2F. Partner and 3 kids at home also had it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

teen witch posted:

If you know what the right thing is to do, do the right thing.

You don’t need an official loving decree.

Freeing Skåne from the perfidious Swede, check.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

I can't believe I just had a co-worker get it and found out she wasn't vaccinated and had regularly been in the office F2F. Partner and 3 kids at home also had it.

Doesn't matter much with Omicron unless they're also boosted, in which case it matters for a whole ten weeks or so.

Anyone with influence who foreclosed on zero COVID should be purged from their positions at the barest minimum.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

SplitSoul posted:

Do you think it will be a "light cold" the second, third and fourth time you get it? I mean, it probably doesn't matter much what you do when you have eugenicists in charge anyway, but you should probably be angry about that fact.

I'm vaxed, and I mask up on the buss and all that stuff, but yes, I do think I personally would be fine if I happened to get it :shrug: Everyone I know in my age group/general level of health belive likewise, and only care in order to spare grandma and obese uncles.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Crespolini posted:

I'm vaxed, and I mask up on the buss and all that stuff, but yes, I do think I personally would be fine if I happened to get it :shrug: Everyone I know in my age group/general level of health belive likewise, and only care in order to spare grandma and obese uncles.

A major part of the problem is that people only consider themselves and believe it's exclusively old people and fatties who risk severe outcomes. At one point in December Denmark had precisely 10 ICU beds left and that was before Omicron started rolling.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Just went through Arlanda now and not bad with masking until after baggage claim, you pass customs with a half dozen maskless cops mean mugging you. Outside of there the masked percentage looks to be a bit lower.

Arlanda Express seems to be hardly full and all I’ve seen have had masks. Still, there’s one idiot on board (it’s me for taking Arlanda Express jfc 299kr???)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

teen witch posted:

I’m going to look into kn95s while I’m in the states.
Just wear an elastomer ffp2 or 3.

SplitSoul posted:

A major part of the problem is that people only consider themselves and believe it's exclusively old people and fatties who risk severe outcomes. At one point in December Denmark had precisely 10 ICU beds left and that was before Omicron started rolling.
If you're doubled/boosted you're essentially masking up for others. TBH if we didn't have unvax'ed kids I'd be way more tempted to say "gently caress everybody else" and do the bare legal minimum (AKA fuckall) since that's what most people think is OK.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 29, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Stockholm C is basically 1/3rds masked and that’s being generous. No distancing. From what I can tell from people departing trains no one is really wearing a mask either.

Cannot wait until I have some sort of vague inkling as to when I can get a booster. I’ve checked 1177 a few times the past two weeks and it’s kinda…idk, eventually?

evil_bunnY posted:

Just wear an elastomer ffp2 or 3.

Already ahead of you.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Doesn't matter much with Omicron unless they're also boosted, in which case it matters for a whole ten weeks or so.

You're wrong about the impact of vaccination - it matters a great deal. Catching COVID is one thing, but avoiding serious outcomes is far more important.

UV = Unvaccinated, PV = Partial Vaccinated, FV = Fully Vaccinated, per 100,000 population in DK

Since not everyone in the Fully Vaccinated cohort is boosted, even un-boosted people have significantly reduced risk of hospitalization, so do partially vaccinated. Anyone who said a 75% or more reduction in hospitalization rates "doesn't matter much" would be frankly irrational.

pre:
                                            UV                   PV             FV                                     UV         PV     FV
28 DEC    New cases:                     237.3                208.2          210.2    Hospitalizations:              40.5       16.9    8.6
27 DEC    New cases:                     304.4                324.9          263.3    Hospitalizations:              40.0       15.8    7.8
26 DEC    New cases:                     310.4                274.9          241.2    Hospitalizations:              39.0       15.4    7.3
25 DEC    New cases:                     181.6                162.1          161.5    Hospitalizations:              33.9       16.0    6.8
24 DEC    New cases:                     184.1                173.0          182.1    Hospitalizations:              34.5       14.9    7.1
23 DEC    New cases:                     237.1                202.6          197.9    Hospitalizations:              35.4       16.2    7.5
22 DEC    New cases:                     257.1                198.1          211.7    Hospitalizations:              34.2       15.3    7.3
21 DEC    New cases:                     270.1                226.2          207.8    Hospitalizations:              32.9       14.3    7.5
Also where is your claim Denmark was down to 10 ICU beds from please? December 2021 has never gotten anywhere near the peak in 2020 in terms of ICU use for COVID patients.
Source: https://www.sst.dk/en/english/corona-eng/status-of-the-epidemic/covid-19-updates-statistics-and-charts in particular the graph at the bottom.

In the last week we've been 70-74 ICU beds in use for COVID, *far* lower than in 2020 where the chart shows well over 100.

More compiled stats updated daily in the COVID thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3979298&pagenumber=228&perpage=40#post520274304

ed:
Denmark hit 153 ICU beds in April 2020, and 140 in January 2021 in the second wave. We're just over 70 now. Are the rest full of non-COVID patients?

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...se&country=~DNK

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 29, 2021

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

You're wrong about the impact of vaccination - it matters a great deal. Catching COVID is one thing, but avoiding serious outcomes is far more important.

UV = Unvaccinated, PV = Partial Vaccinated, FV = Fully Vaccinated, per 100,000 population in DK

Since not everyone in the Fully Vaccinated cohort is boosted, even un-boosted people have significantly reduced risk of hospitalization, so do partially vaccinated. Anyone who said a 75% or more reduction in hospitalization rates "doesn't matter much" would be frankly irrational.

pre:
                                            UV                   PV             FV                                     UV         PV     FV
28 DEC    New cases:                     237.3                208.2          210.2    Hospitalizations:              40.5       16.9    8.6
27 DEC    New cases:                     304.4                324.9          263.3    Hospitalizations:              40.0       15.8    7.8
26 DEC    New cases:                     310.4                274.9          241.2    Hospitalizations:              39.0       15.4    7.3
25 DEC    New cases:                     181.6                162.1          161.5    Hospitalizations:              33.9       16.0    6.8
24 DEC    New cases:                     184.1                173.0          182.1    Hospitalizations:              34.5       14.9    7.1
23 DEC    New cases:                     237.1                202.6          197.9    Hospitalizations:              35.4       16.2    7.5
22 DEC    New cases:                     257.1                198.1          211.7    Hospitalizations:              34.2       15.3    7.3
21 DEC    New cases:                     270.1                226.2          207.8    Hospitalizations:              32.9       14.3    7.5
Also where is your claim Denmark was down to 10 ICU beds from please? December 2021 has never gotten anywhere near the peak in 2020 in terms of ICU use for COVID patients.
Source: https://www.sst.dk/en/english/corona-eng/status-of-the-epidemic/covid-19-updates-statistics-and-charts in particular the graph at the bottom.

In the last week we've been 70-74 ICU beds in use for COVID, *far* lower than in 2020 where the chart shows well over 100.

More compiled stats updated daily in the COVID thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3979298&pagenumber=228&perpage=40#post520274304

https://www.rkkp.dk/siteassets/de-kliniske-kvalitetsdatabaser/databaser/intensiv-databasen/dansk-intensiv-covid-19-rapport-09dec21_.pdf

Relevant graph is on page 12.
On the 6 of december 2021, there were 67 covid patients in ICU, 233 non covid patients in the ICU, and 10 available ICU beds in the whole of denmark.

The total number of ICU beds 6/12 21 was 310, on 1/2 21 the total number of ICU beds was 406.
Wonder what happened over the summer?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Landvetter staff this morning were actually masked! Most people in line to check in as well!

I also have someone on facebook ranting against vaccine passports for going to the movies, saying that vaccine passports won't solve anything.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

vuk83 posted:

https://www.rkkp.dk/siteassets/de-kliniske-kvalitetsdatabaser/databaser/intensiv-databasen/dansk-intensiv-covid-19-rapport-09dec21_.pdf

Relevant graph is on page 12.
On the 6 of december 2021, there were 67 covid patients in ICU, 233 non covid patients in the ICU, and 10 available ICU beds in the whole of denmark.

The total number of ICU beds 6/12 21 was 310, on 1/2 21 the total number of ICU beds was 406.
Wonder what happened over the summer?

The total number of available ICU beds was over 400 in February, and this was reduced because there were 100+ empty ICU beds. Over the next few months you can see they gradually lowered ICU capacity as the wave passed. Your source says on page 12:

"Ideally, there should be a certain number of available beds in the intensive care units so that there is buffer capacity to replace
patients and the possibility of receiving acutely ill patients at short notice (General Recommendations for
Intensive Therapy in Denmark, Danish Society for Anesthesiology and Intensive Medicine, https://www.dasaim.dk).

In the winter of 2020/2021, intensive care capacity was increased due to a large intake of patients with COVID-19. Figure 4 illustrates that
the capacity of the intensive care units from February to April was continuously downgraded corresponding to the declining number
COVID patients, as the number of intensive care beds fell from 406 around 1 February to approx. 330 at the end of March 2021."

So they are actively managing capacity to track the number of patients needing ICU beds. There's been a surge in COVID patients since June, obviously, from 19 beds to 67, so that would explain the low number, overall, with sick medical staff also probably being an issue in seeing the drop. I would *hope* they're adding more ICU capacity.

So yeah, thanks to a surge from 19 beds to 67, they're low in excess capacity. One expects in the last few weeks they've added more beds. But the drop from February to June in capacity is... what you would expect the system to do? Once omicron was announced in late November, one would then expect them to go "ooops, more beds time". But since we're only up 7 more beds in three weeks, it's clearly not been a problem?

I would love to see the missing data between June and December, and what the current stats are.

edit: oh hey look https://www.rkkp.dk/siteassets/de-kliniske-kvalitetsdatabaser/databaser/intensiv-databasen/dansk-intensiv-covid-19-rapport_22_dec_2021.pdf

29 Nov - 322 beds, 25 open
6 Dec - 310 beds, 10 open
13 Dec - 319 beds, 39 open
20 Dec - 317 beds, 59 open

Guessing they stopped elective surgery that needed ICU space and successfully managed the capacity issue you were so worried about.

To answer your earlier question - the Danish nursing strike probably is why they have fewer total beds since June.

We should take this to the COVID thread though.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 29, 2021

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

I meant it didn't matter much in terms of the risk she posed to others in your office. Two shots provide virtually no protection from infection and even boosted it's greatly reduced over previous variants. When Omicron mutates into an even more evasive variant they'll be essentially worthless for curbing spread. Or it could recombine with Delta for the ultimate party pooper, the possibilities aren't exactly endless, but there's plenty of room to improve further. And it's all but guaranteed that it will.

It appears that Omicron is significantly less severe on average, but it's not gonna matter if we start pulling 45K daily like SSI's worst case scenario. And they're intent on sending kids back to school in January. It's loving mind-boggling.

Rust Martialis posted:

We should take this to the COVID thread though.

Not on your life.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 29, 2021

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Welp. 23,228. Looks like we're getting there sooner rather than later. Holy poo poo.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Covid cases or electricity price / kwh ?

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
SSI estimates though lol.

But I'm well happy about their general cautious approach right now. As newly transplanted (2 months ago, new liver), I am proper paranoid about catching it, and very happy I do not work in the school system anymore. With the way it's spreading, it's very likely I will get it sometime anyway though. It's really strange, just two months ago, no oval office wore masks even in the hospital. Only time I saw on there, being at Riget for 8 days, was the surgeons.

Barely seeing any friends and had my Christmas alone, cause gently caress going to a gathering especially with people like my brother who got one jab, then got scared of taking a second jab, cause I got heart inflammation of the second shot. I know that wouldn't matter much in the end for me, and he could still give it to me, but it speaks to just how smooth his brain is, and I dont trust him to not have partied all night in Copenhagen the day before.

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 29, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Denmark just overtook Sweden for total covid cases per 1M pop. Omicron is really running rampant. Going to get bad once it really gets going here in Sweden, now it's about 700-800 cases of omicron daily.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 29, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Denmark just overtook Sweden for total covid cases per 1M pop. Omicron is really running rampant. Going to get bad once it really gets going here in Sweden, now it's about 700-800 cases of omicron daily.

Ooooh boy here we go. And now I join SplitSoul in looking at ICU beds because even with fewer people being hospitalized, eventually you fill up the jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Woodenlung posted:

SSI estimates though lol.

But I'm well happy about their general cautious approach right now.

Who are "they"? That one dude from C-SPAM who wears a P100 FFR?

Anyway, hope you don't die. poo poo is about to get bonkers. My mom is gonna be in chemo soon and I worry she'll catch it in the hospital. They force people to replace FFP2s with surgicals.