Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Somebody recommended the Call of Duty Infinite War game a while back and I've just had a session on it, really good fun! I hear the multiplayer is dead on it but the campaigns fun, I like the way the baddies are really bad (the constant reminders "oh my God they're shooting civilians!"). Not a lot of moral subtlety. Stuff blows up, theres one set piece after another, dialog is the usual hoo rah nonsense, lovely stuff.

If Squadron woopy doo ever manages to play as well as this I'd be amazed. It's saying something they can't pull off something that was done well five years ago already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

skyelevator posted:

Squadron woopy doo

"Squadoo" for short

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/Vcz6gJd.mp4

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Kit Harington in Infinite is a Bond villain with a fleet of Star Destroyers and it's absolutely great. I finally stand corrected, there is a good space game.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Sorry that I am returning to this, but did somebody say "lovely ugly waifu (actually uglier than anime) generator for NFTs"? It only took a few days and there are 1000 limited ones already sold! Buy while it's hot! Buy bUY, BUY!!!

https://twitter.com/RightWingCope/status/1473435170120376329

Is it against the rules to say this guy has a really punchable face?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

So that's the other thing, after 2 years of set backs I finally get to have one of the operations for my cyborg head in January, they let me know a few days ago, so it's all a bit mad really.
I mainly just feel soooo tired

man I've been there with the scary head infections, poo poo sucks. Get well soon!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

skyelevator posted:

Somebody recommended the Call of Duty Infinite War game a while back and I've just had a session on it, really good fun! I hear the multiplayer is dead on it but the campaigns fun, I like the way the baddies are really bad (the constant reminders "oh my God they're shooting civilians!"). Not a lot of moral subtlety. Stuff blows up, theres one set piece after another, dialog is the usual hoo rah nonsense, lovely stuff.

If Squadron woopy doo ever manages to play as well as this I'd be amazed. It's saying something they can't pull off something that was done well five years ago already.

It's a blast and just incredibly slick on exactly the same axes where squadoo would be sloppy as poop

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

DaysBefore posted:

Kit Harington in Infinite is a Bond villain with a fleet of Star Destroyers and it's absolutely great. I finally stand corrected, there is a good space game.

Yeah that was honestly a pretty decent COD campaign. The best thing about the game though was how utterly trashed it was when revealed, which I imagined gave Croberts some sweaty thoughts.

If I recall it had one of the most disliked trailers on YouTube ever.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Bumble He posted:

NFTs (non flamable toasts) seem to be the new pinnacle of stupidity.
so they will possibly skyrocket in price.

Skyrocket in price
NFT delight

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Where do you people get this poo poo? We very well might be hosed but the majority of the world is going to be habitable till 2100. The issue is long term biosphere collapse. Mass extinctions don’t happen in 10 year timespans.

What the gently caress do you think is going to happen after 10 years?

Oh i guess it's fine then, mass extinction canceled everyone.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah that was honestly a pretty decent COD campaign. The best thing about the game though was how utterly trashed it was when revealed, which I imagined gave Croberts some sweaty thoughts.

The trailer's "Major Tom" soundtrack was perfection, what with the regular pgabs YT hilarity at the time.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

do you think that egg station punches above its weight?

fake e: for real though that is a sick piece of art.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Sandweed posted:

Oh i guess it's fine then, mass extinction canceled everyone.

"The planet is going to be inhabitable in 10 years"
"Isn't that actually a exaggerated? Yes we are facing huge problems but not in a decade"
"Lol climate change denier"

The corona thread is that way if you want to revel in doomsday hyperbole (omicron is covid-21 etc)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Please everyone stay on topic

In this essay I will explain why NFTs are the future of gami

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

It was a good, but the main story is trying to happen at breakneck speed and being able to meander around the solar system doing side quests really works against the story they’re telling. That’s my only complaint, Space CoD was cool.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Sorry that I am returning to this, but did somebody say "lovely ugly waifu (actually uglier than anime) generator for NFTs"? It only took a few days and there are 1000 limited ones already sold! Buy while it's hot! Buy bUY, BUY!!!

https://twitter.com/RightWingCope/status/1473435170120376329

OK but consider this: Chris single-handedly revamps character creation and adds boob and butt sizes, but you have to buy big titty NFTs if you want to be fully immersed in the 'verse with a female character with comically anime proportions.
Imagine the funding tracker jump.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

[IMPORTANT] Thoughts on slavery, female NPCs and customization

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1473705846500691969

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SEMPAI NOTICE ME

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

He is so loving broken and so loving stupid and I hate him so much.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Why did I even back Star citizen, and why have i added more of my money over the years posted:

A generation ago I played Chris Roberts games, I doubt many of you have ever heard of Times of lore, it was a Commodore 64 game a bit like ultima I think origin was the publisher and by the power of pirates or BBS services it made its way to a floppy disk I honestly couldn't tell you if my copy was legitimate or pirated, but id like to think I paid someone legitimate for it, the point was inadvertently I had started a journey with that game that would keep me coming back to the same storyteller over the years, of course back then I had no idea he made the game in fact I didn't become aware of it till very recently and I was like drat I had that game once, but I did know his name by the second wing commander. But the game I loved was Privateer, it reminded me of an Apple 2 game I had called Sundog (later I would have the same game on the Atari ST), It was the space trade dream, I would go on to play other similar games in the following year's homeworld, the X series, euro trucker, but I often found myself going back to something Chris Roberts had made, then in 2003 to my delight freelancer appeared, a multiplayer space trade game, I loved that game, played hours on night stalkers universe (a very cool mod) worth note I loved the wing commander movie from 1999 also, it appears I loved Chris Roberts storytelling ability, so when I heard he was creating a kickstarted to make "The spiritual sequel to wing commander" I saved up my money and brought in to it in September of 2013.

I was a fan of Chris's work, and why would I be ashamed of being a "fanboy" I grew up with this man's storys and I had enjoyed the telling of them. Admittedly I knew very little about the man himself until he gained all this fame from star citizen and I became aware I even was a fan of his, I was a fan of his products for years I simply transferred that fandom from the games to the man.
so that's why I believe in the story that squadron 42 will promise because I know it will be a good story, star citizen is just this extra thing that has grown out of what I backed for, I backed for a new story, I have pledged toward star citizen because I want to see that story, and when the story is over I want to share an experience with my friends.

But in 2021 on the eve of 2022 I look back at all of this, and I realize, I never wanted high fidelity, I never wanted a seamless experience from space to ground, I was perfectly content in a game like freelancer where the seamless world was faked where the focus was on the story not how pretty a blade of grass looks, I'm not saying I don't love what is here, this is a technological marvel, but it has got to a point where the technology is the focus, where story-driven missions in the PU are not a focus, where sq42 seems further away than ever, it is not inconceivable in the face of covid I could die and never get to hear the story I have waited for, that would be a regret because stories matter and a great director knows he can tell a story even if he has to do it with cardboard cutouts and puppets, think about Jim Henson, if server meshing is such a show stopper, find another workaround with smoke and mirrors.

I'm not sure if I had a point to make here, I don't think I did this is just my story and opinion. Let it get buried in the archives. Merry Christmas CIG, I hope to see pyro-next year whilst I wait for SQ42, that would be nice, but I'm not hedging my bets, It feels like your trying to build a technical marvel, not a game to tell a story.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
People that love CR's storytelling in WC movie should be scammed.

get well soon, catte

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Merry FUDmas goonie cuntiflas

I hope Crobbler Claus brings you all the jpegs you deserve

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

trucutru posted:

Meanwhile, in a galaxy far far away

Look at all those fuddy-buddies bitching about a free JPEG. Ingrates.

quote:

Community members have for years gone out into the wider gaming community to encourage people to join our project, giving them literally thousands of hours of free guidance and support when needed... even though every single time we do some nasty section of the population tells us we are gullible idiots who have thrown 100's and 1000' of dollars-a-piece at a company that has given us nothing but jpeg's. Forbes Magazine, Kotaku and MassivelyOP among many others often run articles reinforcing this attitude. They tell everyone how incompetent the managers are running this project and how we're fools to trust them.

..and after yet another record year of support for CIG and the project development team we are gifted after 11 days of hype... what?.. some jpeg's of something they will allow us to buy soon.
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot while simultaneously slapping your biggest most loyal support group in the face.

They literally turned us into their biggest detractors meme that has been used against us since day one, and in the process gave free ammunition to those same detractors... some of whom regularly insult us in our forum! They showed the world and their supporters that they seemed out of touch with the lived experience of their biggest supporters... knowing the very last thing any of us ever wanted was remote, out of touch corporate types dictating our experience of the project. The whole reason for doing it this way was to avoid that. I do not believe for one minute that it was intentional or malicious.

The one saving grace we have always had is that we can always point to past mistakes and say.. well.. at last they listened to us when it happened.

That's why we're proud to be here.. because even though they make mistakes sometimes and we can be a rowdy, raucous lot - we all got here together - a partnership, and we'll get to the end together too. Are you under some sort of delusion that it would not have taken a community of 'personalities' to get this far? If we really were the gullible low effort, low intelligence tepid sycophants we're accused of being do you think we'd be here 9 years later still cheering wildly and urging them on to bigger and better things?

At the 2019 CitizenCon in Manchester I stood next to the guy who made this post: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/had-a-thought-for-next-year-s-festivities/4736764 - looking over the people entering the venue from the top balcony over 1.5 hours after I had entered, crowds of people who had been stood out in the cold and rain - never once throughout the whole days event with hundreds of people there was any intervention from security personnel required. We were all proud to be there, and despite knowing that I had had some 'real barney's' in the forums with some of the people I spoke to at the event we all took it in good humour.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Bunch of people all into the same thing and nobody became violent? Wow what a great community.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Merry Stimpas, may your joy triple every second

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

If we really were the gullible low effort, low intelligence tepid sycophants we're accused of being do you think we'd be here 9 years later still cheering wildly and urging them on to bigger and better things?

Is this a trick question?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sammus posted:

It was a good, but the main story is trying to happen at breakneck speed and being able to meander around the solar system doing side quests really works against the story they’re telling. That’s my only complaint, Space CoD was cool.

IIRC there's a line near the end where someone mentions that everything that happens takes place over one day, which is pretty ridiculous.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

shrach posted:

Ok so, that just reaffirms there is a problem because then because there is no reason why the CIG figure is another $2mil lower?

The api spreadsheet provides figures for the total for pledges in 2020 was $78,992,000 rounded to near '000 (which includes the -$2m in October 2020 in the totals). While the CIG blog says the 2020 total was $76,992,000 which means someone may have manually deducted the $2m figure from the CIG figures twice or...some other reason?

That doesn't affect the pledge numbers though.

Is 2 mill up or down a big deal? I mean these guys are almost at the half billion mark after all.

The part that really gets me is here we are, 2020 best funding year ever for CIG (so far) and what do they do with that? They sky rocket their staff to over 700 and possibly over 750 during 2021. What does that amazingly grown staff numbers have to so for it? Well… this:

How can the largest funding drive and largest staff size ever for CIG possibly yield the smallest delivery ever?

The largest funding ever has been promptly swallowed by the largest staff size ever though, so net profit is tiny for that huge growth. And pretty much zero delivery to show for it.

It is exactly the same kind of bottom line delivery you would expect to have with zero revenue growth and no new hires. Or rather it is the kind of bottom line delivery you would expect with a downsize.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 25, 2021

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

merry xmas y'all.
just completed a mediocre alcohol-heavy family thing and now chilling under the roof while i hear mice running up and down between the walls.

i am thinking about an ex-girlfriend, but since i am drunk i have this weird vision in my head of that ex-girl, mariah cariey's "all i want for christmas" but then chris roberts grinning face on top of it all and thats when i know that all i want for christmas is an idris.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Dwesa posted:

On the first day of Stimpmas, my true love gave to me
The worst kind of electricity

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Disappointed in the Concierge drink set posted:

I was extremely excited by the Concierge drink set. When I saw the pictures, I knew I had to have them. It looked like a very classy item for a product based on a game.

The product came in the mail today and the quality was surprisingly lacking. There was a white substance on the lid that I washed off (regretting that now as I should have gotten a picture). On opening the box I was greeted with what you see in the below pictures.

Dry glue, foam falling off, chipped wood, and a missing coaster. You can also tell by the dry glue that it was hardly spread evenly.

Really let down by the lack of quality on an item such as this.

Edit: The coaster was found. It must have slipped under the foam during shipping. Thanks to the comments for pointing out that this can happen.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
Let's just take a look at the old Star Citizen thread here...

Mirificus posted:

If we really were the gullible low effort, low intelligence tepid sycophants we're accused of being do you think we'd be here 9 years later still cheering wildly and urging them on to bigger and better things?

lmao I wish this could be the thread title. Anyhow merry Chris-Mess, Star Citizen thread!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Happy holidays everyonnneee

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Hey, I'm a marketer. It is my job. I have DONE predatory marketing as my job and I have ripped it apart as my job.

I could go into excessive detail about every single decision they've made, but I literally can't be bothered.

Just trust me. CIG are not predatory in any fashion with their advertisements/marketing. They don't even come close to it.

Are they innocent? No. Are they perfect? No. Have they ever been a bit shady? Yes. Are they predatory? LMAO. No. No they arent.

Edit: Fun fact, they're actually probably the least predatory gaming company i've personally ever seen. So, that's cool. :)

quote:

Happily. Let's go with a classic and egregious example, the Shadow of War lotr game when it first launched.

We can talk about lovely game design like characters locked behind pay walls, but that's not actually the worst part. Whenever you paused the game it would automatically throw you into the store and you had to exit out of the store to get to the options. You'd get pop ups I'm the game of deals on the store. And when in the pause menu the store button would flash and pulse and sparkle. Everything was designed to push you heavily to the spending of money. It was a manipulation to get you to open your wallet.

All marketing is predatory in some way, that's how marketing works. The difference is between the levels.

Do CIG actually manipulate us into paying for ships? No. In fact, they make it a nightmare.

The website doesn't even have a store location, it's in 2 hidden drop down menus called ship matrix. Not every ship is on sale and there's no way to view only those that are. Every ship has 2 pages, one with info, the other with info and sale price. And you constantly get 2-3 popups as you buy the item asking if you're absolutely 100% sure you want this item. The only ship advertisement they do is a trailer, and sometimes a banner on the home page.

You have to know exactly what you want to buy in SC to get it. You aren't led down the aisle, you aren't given FOMO tricks, you aren't even stuck in the item as you can always melt down and get the whole worth back which means you can reneg on your choice at any moment giving you absolute informed control of your purchases.

CIG, if honest, could do with being a bit MORE predatory. Because maybe it wouldn't be so difficult to a really give them money if they were.

Other people's failure of financial responcibility are not CIGs fault, they have been OVERLY permissive with making sure financial decisions are as informed as possible and within their players control.

They arent predatory.

quote:

You could describe it as: "They make an amazing product that sells itself and that makes us want to invest." Because that's all it is. They really aren't all that aggressive, we just are a really passionate community. CIG are about quality, and we like quality. :)

Now they arent perfect, they've made a few marketing blunders and dev blunders. I dont think the sun shines out of CRs arse.

But they're a much more moral game dev company than pretty much any out there in the field right now. They are the most open and transparent and the least predatory. That deserves some credit in my eyes. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Merry Christmas :)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

wait, Shadow of War didn't have paywalled characters. They sold like RNG boxes of dudes you could get anywhere, didn't they?

And so Star Citizen is better because it's designed like poo poo?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC there's a line near the end where someone mentions that everything that happens takes place over one day, which is pretty ridiculous.

That sounds right. I knew it was less than a week, but during the course of a day is just insane.

Maybe it makes more sense if you binge the main story in a single sitting and skip by any and all optional content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I took an eighteen month break between getting into space and finishing it, so it felt pleasantly expansive lol