Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I did the "original" start or whatever it's called. Soon as I teleported to the other asteroid, the game dumped down to 35~ fps.

Although all the asteroids are on a single game world, I'm pretty sure the simulation doesn't start running on the other areas until you visit them at least once. But presumably as soon as you enter orbit (and the surface becomes visible), pass through the teleporter, or launch some cargo canisters there, I'm guessing it kicks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I did the "original" start or whatever it's called. Soon as I teleported to the other asteroid, the game dumped down to 35~ fps.
There is/was a bug where if you don't get a certain achievement this happens. Check workshop for a popular mod. I think it's outdoor renovation or something.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I have a problem where my smelters cooling loop's first lead radiant pipe. It was built and worked for a while but just disappeared. No damage warning, just gone. When rebuilt, the pipe lets one tile of oil pass then just disappears.

Sorry for the cell pic, i dont have internet

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What material was the pipe made out of? If it got too hot the pipes will melt away.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Its lead and im not home right noe but iirc it was only 100c

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
lead....

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Get real used to checking the materials tab of materials so you can see their freezing points and their melting points.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

temple posted:

lead....

There is a reason lead has been traditionally used in solder...

insta
Jan 28, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

Its lead and im not home right noe but iirc it was only 100c

It was over 327C coming out of the refinery, but 125C by the time it came back in.

Lead is a bad material for that anyway, it's got pretty poor thermal conductivity. Use the granulator and smash up aluminum or cobalt to make the pipes.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

ty everyone, i never even thought to check the melting point, i figured it would be wau higher

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can melt lead on a stovetop.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i cant say ive ever tried, tbqh

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
No one has posted in awhile, so I'm gonna give yall an update on an oceanic world I'm casually playing.

Made a simple petrol boiler this time around with counterflow. The counterflow really doesn't drain the heat from the lava that fast at all, it's pretty nice. When I set it up the door had like a temp of 1500 degrees and I made a gently caress ton of sourgas but the counterflow area kept it in and then I just vented it into space. Also making it a vacuum helped out in the end. At one point the gas in the counterflow super heated the input pipes and I was getting petrol breaking the pipes going up. I even set up an access area to get down into the magma to do some fixes if needed but I have barely cooled down the mamga so far.

The start was really slow so I went for a faster atmosuit sealed living quarters pretty fast. I think I was also trying to save on coal that I ran out of completely before I got the petrol boiler going. Oh yea now I remember. I had to go atmos super early because the waterlock was added before I got atmos and the low morale was insane. I had one dupe morale puking all over the base and he puked into the clean water supply and everything.

I set up all my generators in the same place. Something I wanted to to just to get it simple. All located right by the main shaft.

Gonna try puft ranching but unsure if my rancher will be trained enough to even get eggs from them. I got the eggs before I got the dupe and then they has been farming for skill points until now.

Simple refinery setup. I was keeping the hot coolant in the steam room for awhile before I got concerned about the heat in there. I think if I loaded it back up it could keep the steam engine going for along time for alot of free power if I needed it.

I also was pumping co2 into the oil biome for along time to keep a single wild slickster alive for fun. I am prob gonna try ranching slicksters for the first time.

Oceanic has a gently caress ton of water. I have no idea what even to do with it. It kinda makes it hard because there's so much of it and gravity make it go down. This pool goes all the way from the main access shaft all the way to the side of the map.

And to finish my main utility shaft dumping poo poo into space. Some gases and liquids are just a bother to work with due to their heat so I just vent that poo poo.

Oh yea, one last thing. For my steam room for the refinery I hooked it all into the main line with the powerline wallplates even though some heat/cold bleeds through those tiles. But I had it enter through the steam turbine room which is usually super cold so the only thing that bleeds into the base is coldness while the steam chamber and the steam turbine rooms bleed into each other and it really doesn't matter. I know I've seen people do it with vacuum plugs but those look so ugly to me.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 16, 2021

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
The new fractured asteroids coming on the testing branch are interesting. Especially if you start on the small swamp start, you have zero plastic (no drecko or petroleum) on the first two worlds, you have to recover it via shipping via rocketry. There is barely a small amount of steel producible (little bit of fossil on starting asteroid, small amount of iron on warp world). They added some wheeze worts to the rust biomes on the warp world (which is all cold) for materials research.

There will supposedly be a way to get some data banks (and thus 'space' research) from examining artifacts and geysers and such, so I wonder if it might be possible to get to steam powered rocketry. Shipping significant amounts of petroleum from the oil planet might be tricky otherwise.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Steam rockets need materials (radbolt) science in the current build, but not space science.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Hello Sailor posted:

Steam rockets need materials (radbolt) science in the current build, but not space science.

Oh yeah. I guess the only way to completely gate the bigger rockets would be to deny access to steel, then. I'm not sure what asteroid starts might do that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I learned recently that polluted water offgases into po2. I knew it made polluted oxygen but I had no idea that the polluted water actually went down! I put 25 tons of po2 in my puft tank and then like 100+ cycles later started getting critter starving messages and saw the water was down to 80k per tile.

This is all after playing multiple 100+ cycle games, a few 1k cycle games, and a 3k cycle where I did all the objectives.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Tenzarin posted:

I learned recently that polluted water offgases into po2.

So do polluted dirt and slime. In slime it happens pretty rapidly.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

One of my early runs, my dupes were breathing almost exclusively deodorized po2 offgases. I basically suffocated them all when I moved the polluted water in a central tank further from base.

Those early games were so fun.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Well when I get back to playing again I know exactly what I'm gonna use polluted oxygen vents for now and it's for feeding pufts! I usually don't bother with most vents. The heat they give off is almost never worth the trouble.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
i was weak.

i relapsed.

the Infected Doomcube is on cycle 70 now

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Can't relapse if you've never quit in the first place.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I notice you can pick asteroid type now if you play with the DLC and choose a large asteroid start. Last I played it was only Terran.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I miss the map picker, I'm on cycle 135 and the only water I've been able to find is a cool steam vent. Now I'm scrambling to explore the map to find anything else before my starter water runs out. I may shut down most of my spom and go back to algae.

Is the game forcing me to other planets to get water? i've generally ignored space.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 9, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Demon_Corsair posted:

I miss the map picker, I'm on cycle 135 and the only water I've been able to find is a cool steam vent. Now I'm scrambling to explore the map to find anything else before my starter water runs out. I may shut down most of my spom and go back to algae.

Is the game forcing me to other planets to get water? i've generally ignored space.

If you’re on a DLC start, which not having the seed picker makes it sound like, there will be three teleporter tile sets you can dig around for, one each for sending and receiving cargo, and one with both sending and receiving dupe teleporters.

Send someone with low morale needs but one or two ranks of mining through, and you’ll be in a tile set which includes Oxylite, rooms with walls which you can immediately make a barracks out of, and a cryosleep pod which will have another dupe in it. You can send someone once every 2-3 cycles, a couple more sets of hands to build basic facilities and then someone with real skills (mechatronics for instance, the cargo teleporters have input/output slots for rails).

If you started on a low-water initial rock you might find that you need to pipe water back home from whatever happens to be next door.

I just got to 100 cycles in an embark I started after the most recent content stuff, and I was able to hook its teleport-neighbor up to a waiting dedicated Oxygen feed as soon as all the ductwork was in place on both sides. Now that all the initial digging and cabling is done, it’s in a good spot to take geyser condensation from the home asteroid and send crude back, entirely by pipeline. Your direct ties between the two linked asteroids are rate-limited to one pipe, one duct, and one rail, all of which have to go to the same spot to make their transit, so it’s a neat little knot of logistical considerations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I found the resource teleporter but never found the one to send a dupe over. Did find a salt water geyser, so I got air production stabilized.

Does the water over vent trick still work? I'm tried of having to blow up and rebuild my gas storages as my spom maxes them out.

AotC
May 16, 2010

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does the water over vent trick still work? I'm tried of having to blow up and rebuild my gas storages as my spom maxes them out.

It should still work. I haven't checked after yesterday's patch but there was nothing in the notes about it.

There's also partially submerged or hybrid electrolyzers that can infinitely store gasses as they output from the device as well if you're feeling like exploiting the game's physics.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Demon_Corsair posted:

You mean hydrogen? If so, why not just burn it?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
They’d have to pretty heavily rework the fluid/tile mechanics of the game to get rid of water over vent thing so I don’t think it’s something to worry about. And if they do it’ll probably some with a fluid storage overhaul or something.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 11, 2021

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Full launch of the Spaced Out! DLC is tomorrow! The word on the street is that the price will go up at launch so if you've been on the fence this is a good time to get in.

I've been having a lot of fun with the Moonlet Cluster starts, where your starmap (including your starting asteroid) consists entirely of fairly small planets, none of which has the full set of resources needed for long-term survival. If you run one of these starts with the teleporter off, it forces you into space pretty quickly which makes for a very different sort of gameplay.

My first attempt at a playthrough didn't go well because I tried to develop multiple bases at once which I found pretty stressful. I hate having idle dupes and was not having fun having one project get interrupted by needing to find busywork for a dupe elsewhere.

In my new playthrough I'm on cycle 225 with solid bases on two moonlets and my strategy has been that each moonlet gets a dedicated cook and rancher, while the rest of the squad hops to one planet or the other to work on the current "main project". I've got plastic and steel production well underway and am about to launch my first petroleum rocket which I'm going to use to reveal more of the starmap. Next goals are probably getting pokeshells from the nearby ocean planet and/or building a radiation-powered rocket.

If you want to try the Moonlet Cluster mode, you start by choosing "Spaced Out Start" (rather than "Classic Start") and then selecting one of the planetoids with "moonlet" in its name.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Anyone have a good link to an overview of the new DLC? It's pretty overwhelming and most of the guides are from like a year ago.

the_FERRET
Dec 3, 2008
I'd recommend the videos on YouTube from Brothgar. He plays a few times with the new content, not sure if he'll create a new playthrough now that the DLC is finally out. I've just jumped into a fresh playthrough myself with the new content for the first time. It feels pretty familiar to me, but I need to spend more time digging through the newly-organized tech tree.

I'm going straight for an all-achievement run and starting on the hardest planetoid (radioactive ocean). Wish me luck!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

After 289 hours of playing and endless restarts I finally launched my first rocket

And around 300 hrs I successfully landed it.

It was a long game of "okay, the pathfinder module can turn into a landing pad- no, short by half on metal. Okay send metal with it- nope, sent copper and the lander was iron. Alright, much larger payloads of iron, now the dupe is suffocating before it gets the payloads unpacked. Okay, finally built it oxygen pocket, got the launch pad set up, dupe back in the rocket once it lands, heading home, heading back with a cargo container. Annnnnd the dupes can't get out because now the ladder is in the wrong spot. gently caress."

But hey, now my second colony is going okay and the first one is vaguely self sufficient so winners all around.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Just gotta say I love how the Spaced Out animation actually sets the DLC as the sequel to the base game. The launch to the time warp didn't work and now everything is more messed up...gotta try again.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Does anyone have a glitch where if they play a game long enough their character starts...chewing, during their idle animation?

Like I'll see them use the bathroom but they won't be inside the bathroom, they'll be chewing on the outside of it while hovering in the air. Then they use the grill and they're chewing while cooking.

It goes away when I save, close the game, and reload, but bizarre.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Xanderkish posted:

Does anyone have a glitch where if they play a game long enough their character starts...chewing, during their idle animation?

Like I'll see them use the bathroom but they won't be inside the bathroom, they'll be chewing on the outside of it while hovering in the air. Then they use the grill and they're chewing while cooking.

They don't even have teeth, they just have white circles in the mouths. Sometimes an especially tough meal worm needs a bit of extra work.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Xanderkish posted:

Yeah, I had that once in a while. I figured out where it was starting from, but I've since forgotten.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

They should add some kind of gas burning machine that you can absolutely lose control of if you don't set it up right, resulting in all the flammable gas in your base igniting.

Would also be an alternative to venting excess into space.

the_FERRET
Dec 3, 2008

the_FERRET posted:

I'm going straight for an all-achievement run

Update: Achieved both 'Carnivore' and 'Locavore' achievements, which I feel are two of the three hardest achievements for new bases. Now it's just a grind to finish the last, 'Super Sustainable', as I have no access to plastic for steam turbines, but at least I don't have to worry about meteors impacting my solar panels. With colonies on the starting planetoid and a nearby planetoid (via teleporters), I'm trying to figure out rockets.

I've managed to scout out some of the nearby planetoids, but with only carbon dioxide engines with the sparse amounts of CO2 (no oil, oxidizers, or way to generate CO2 beside the dupes), I have to be very strategic with my space missions. There's a nearby planetoid Marsh biome, so my plan is to land there, use some of the available CO2 pockets to fuel the return trip, and snatch some Pufts. I can then evolve those Pufts into Dense Pufts back in my main colony and use that to generate oxylite. I can then use the oxylite as an oxidizer in a sugar engine that should be able to fuel a return trip to another, separate planetoid (with no CO2), snatch some Dreckos from the Jungle biomere there, and then return those back to my main base and evolve them into Glossy Dreckos for plastic. Hopefully before my colonies cook themselves to death.

Conclusion: Rockets are convoluted, managing multiple bases is a stressful, and the need to visit planetoids to access critical resources is an exercise in careful planning and execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I'm really finding the new style of managing multiple bases very stressful, like it's a chore each time I launch the game despite only having two bases and the first being mostly stable.