Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Centrist Committee posted:

I don’t think this is a useful anthropomorphism. capital doesn’t have hopes and it isn’t a unified thing. if anything, the last 40 years of anti-climate change propaganda and the last president to check the use of nuclear weapons getting domed in texas should go to show capitalism for the apocalyptic death cult that it is. no, while disney may see profit opportunities in china, I see the finance and knowledge wing of the imperium about to get routed by the industrial and extractivist wing.

It is just where the profit motive is at, and at a certain point, the ability to extract more from the West will be eclipsed by China and allied economies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

it is a wise question to consider - did jfk do it out of incompetence and saving face, or did he really believe he could tame the beast? the magic bullet didn't care

The man was a blue-blooded scion and a himbo, what do you think

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

What if... JFK was the 20th century Justin Trudeau/Macron/Guaido...

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Has any American president hosed more than ol' John Fitzgerald?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Fish of hemp posted:

I'm sure Bill had his fill on the Lolita Express

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the FAA wasn't yet equipped to bring JFK to his potential, bill probably wins

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fish of hemp posted:

LBJ hosed more on accident than Kennedy ever did on purpose.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
everyone would lose if ww3 were to happen

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I'm really looking forward to the time when Chinese sanctions mean vastly more than American ones. 20 years or so I reckon.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Weka posted:

I'm really looking forward to the time when Chinese sanctions mean vastly more than American ones. 20 years or so I reckon.
sanctions usually hurt the working class so if hope China isn’t as “liberal” with them as the US has been.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I'm going to win op

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

guys stop worrying about hypersonic missiles NORAD demonstrates it’s tracker every year.

https://www.noradsanta.org/

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

indigi posted:

sanctions usually hurt the working class so if hope China isn’t as “liberal” with them as the US has been.

actually i think you will find that reactionary behavior is fuckin awesome when it's the other team doing it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

indigi posted:

There's a really good episode of the ALAB podcast where they talk about how sanctions are essentially the evolution of modern warfare. In that under the kind of total war that became common from the US Civil War and Crimea all the way through Vietnam, just attacking and defeating the enemy's military on the battlefield was insufficient to bring about surrender. So military tactics evolved to attacking enemy infrastructure, destroying their capacity to make war.

The ALAB podcast thesis was that whether you're dropping a bomb on a ball bearings factory or sanctioning some part of a country's economy, the effect is largely the same at a macro level. Both cause a drop in economic output, and if the drop is sufficiently large, the working class in a country begin to suffer in much the same way.

The point is that the western populace views sanctions as "humane" but in reality they are designed to produce the same kind of as conventional warfare, and largely achieve the same effect, just without pictures of people blown apart that offend liberal sensibilities.

Wishing for China to emulate this kind of sanctions regime is wishing for China to simply dethrone the US as the preeminent imperial power and become no different than the US.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

we live in an era of unprecedented peace only in that most people don't comprehend the breadth of what constitutes violence

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wheeee posted:

we live in an era of unprecedented peace only in that most people don't comprehend the breadth of what constitutes violence

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

indigi posted:

Do you support BDS?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

An entire city of people being coerced to "work" to survive is basically the same as genghis khan having an entire city beheaded with axes

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
did genghis kahn ever sack a church full of worshippers or a nightclub or a school of young jedi???

Joss Laypeg
Oct 11, 2007
A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on. - WSB

Azathoth posted:

Wishing for China to emulate this kind of sanctions regime is wishing for China to simply dethrone the US as the preeminent imperial power and become no different than the US.

this is true, but what if I really, really hate America?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Do you support BDS?

lol swing and a miss

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Wheeee posted:

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

indigi posted:

lol swing and a miss

israels trade unionist org also doesnt support BDS, for the same reasons.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheeee posted:

being forced to display a 3rd party card for everything

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

being forced to display a 3rd party card for everything

political cartoon, two syringes labeled DEMOCRATS and REPUBLICANS in front of a school labeled TWO DOSES REQUIRED FOR ENTRY

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wheeee posted:

it's like how people think of the Cold War as an era of peace just because Europeans weren't killing each other for once, even though according to one recent book on the subject more than 20 million people died in violent conflict from 1945-90, or as the author puts it, on average 1200 people died in wars every day for 45 years. We outsourced our wars to constant low-level violence in poor countries and then treated it like an era of peace and prosperity.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Doesn't America do two types of sanctions, one where anything to do with a country is sanctioned and another where they target specific people or companies? If China refuses to do business with narrowly targeted groups and their associates I can see it working. Whether they continue their general policy of preferring the carrot to the stick when they are top dog remains to be seen.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

dang fascism makes people stupid as hell

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

what book is this from, because it sounds hilarious

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

what book is this from, because it sounds hilarious

"About Face", by Col. David Hackworth

and yes, it's a very entertaining look into the institutional rot of the US military, but especially because Hackworth really likes soldiering, and so these criticisms come from someone that's already predisposed to want the Army to be better in the first place

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

that’s a solid read, btw. and there is a great deal of support for his heterodox take on things along officers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's pretty interesting. does he talk about pre-UCMJ army discipline? as far as I know if you had a nutcase CO it was a pretty easy way to get tortured and abused

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, we don’t know past Korea how the US military would actually hold up in a genuine hot war. Everything from that point was a comparative cakewalk where usually the US could dominant the battlefield with air power and usually only lost though long term insurgency.

What happens when local commanders, not used to the responsibility, have to take direct control over units?

How do US ground forces fare when the air space is actually contested? Usually US forces can call on immediate air support (it has its issues) when needed but that very well may not be the case in a more contested setting: wargaming that takes into account modern Chinese/Russian equipment in BVR (beyond visual range fights) is ending up far more mixed then even 10 years ago.

It is why I have been arguing that the West very well be arguably weaker than they appear in a hot war setting.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Dec 28, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, we don’t know past Korea how the US military would actually hold up in a genuine hot war. Everything from that point was a comparative cakewalk where usually the US could dominant the battlefield with air power and usually only lost though long term insurgency.

What happens when local commanders, not used to the responsibility, have to take direct control over units?

How do US ground forces fare when the air space is actually contested? Usually US forces can call on immediate air support (it has its issues) when needed but that very well may not be the case in a more contested setting: wargaming that takes into account modern Chinese/Russian equipment in BVR (beyond visual range fights) is ending up far more mixed then even 10 years ago.

It is why I have been arguing that the West very well be arguably weaker than they appear in a hot war setting.

The west also relies heavily on vehicles and technology like NVGs and comms. Jamming and hacking any of these has dire consequences for the people on the ground, and its already been incorporated into exercises.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Blue team repeatedly loses against Red team, and then they change the rules and reset the exercises so Blue team wins because Red team isn't allowed to do the things that mean they win.

When challenged on this, the US military responds by saying "well we budgeted a week for this exercise and Red team sank all our assets in the first two days so of course we're going to reset so we can do five more days of exercises and keep learning." The problem with this argument is that they don't learn anything from it, because when they run the next wargame a few years later they get demolished by Red team yet again. It's clear that they aren't just less dominant than they think they are, but also that they've fallen into institutional traps where they're so convinced of their own dominance that they find some way to handwave away anything that challenges that paradigm. Probably, if I had to take a guess, because the way to get promoted in the US military is to be the biggest booster of that paradigm, and so all the top brass as well as all the influential careerist ladder-climbers who want to be the top brass ten years from now either refuse to believe or refuse to acknowledge the institutional flaws because acknowledging them is a career-killer.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

you really gotta want to stay in. anyone O-3 or above is set for life in the private sector. at major you're just lighting money on fire in exchange for future influence and power

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

skooma512 posted:

The west also relies heavily on vehicles and technology like NVGs and comms. Jamming and hacking any of these has dire consequences for the people on the ground, and its already been incorporated into exercises.

Yeah, and obviously both the Russians and Chinese are doing everything possible to potentially disrupt communications.

I think though it gets into the central issue is that the US military has essentially become a colonial force used to conflicts where jamming or a contested air space. It is why we just ignore wargames but also I think why the last major intervention was Libya.

Also, the US maintenance system is also completely insane. Private contractors are routinely flown out overseas while actual maintenance companies stand idle (for obvious reasons). How is that crap suppose to fly during an actual war?

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Dec 28, 2021

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

I'm reading La Débâcle by Zola about the 1870 Franco-Prussian war and the ensuing suppression of the Paris Commune, and I can't shake the possibility that after a smashing defeat the US military promptly turns around and crushes domestic leftist movements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

the point of wargames is to expose weaknesses, in addition to maintaining readiness among personnel. they they always go back and reset to a win condition is for political and morale purposes

this idea that America’s armed forces are a paper tiger is wishful thinking and people should be horrified at the idea of a real war in the modern era